• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your controversial gaming opinions in regards to the state of the gaming industry

radewagon

what!, read the title of the thread, my opinion is modern games are not good enough to purchase and should be made based on gameplay not monetization, i didn't mention Sweet Baby inc, no idea what your going on about mate!
Yeah. And for gaf, there is absolutely NOTHING controversial about that statement. There are tons of gaffers who absolutely believe the same thing. I mentioned Sweet Baby, because by gaf standards, showing it anything but absolute hatred IS controversial.

Laptop1991

Yeah. And for gaf, there is absolutely NOTHING controversial about that statement. There are tons of gaffers who absolutely believe the same thing. I mentioned Sweet Baby, because by gaf standards, showing it anything but absolute hatred IS controversial.
Well you replied to me about it, so it must be a little controversial, and that's just your opinion and i don't care if you don't agree with mine, tough!, that's the whole point of the thread.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
As soon as MS leaves the gaming market it will be instantly better for everyone, except for the delusional borderline Stockholm syndrome shill

SHA

Nah, that place is needed like a hole in the head. They made the site irrelevant when your voice is silenced for even the slightest difference in views or values.
I find it hard to acknowledge new stuff and make them into my favorite list with that narrow thinking at the scale of big sites and not just from individuals.

DaGwaphics

Not really controversial, but I'd say there is just far too much consolidation around a handful of IPs. Where each publisher is mainly releasing 1 or 2 IPs on loop now vs. the large variety of IPs that used to get released.

clarky

Gold Member
Not really controversial, but I'd say there is just far too much consolidation around a handful of IPs. Where each publisher is mainly releasing 1 or 2 IPs on loop now vs. the large variety of IPs that used to get released.
Until Development costs come down significantly, it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Even with a known IP, a $200-$300 million project is a huge gamble.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Here’s my controversial GAF opinion:

Anyone here who is constantly complaining about “woke this” and “dei that” are whiney annoying turds. I don’t give a shit one way or another, I just want to talk about the actual video games, not politics.

Furthermore, I don’t think I’ve ever cared even 1% as much about characters in a video game as it seems like some people here do. But maybe I’m just lucky, since my favorite character is already the perfect sex symbol:

oXjDhz3.jpeg

Danknugz

most new games simply just aren't fun. lots of shiny bells and whistles and developers know what they're doing, but the games just are either SP bore fests or mutplayer sweat fests with kids convinced they higher rank gives them some kind of social clout, but no one cares and no one will remember them when the next game comes along if they ever noticed in the first place.

video games are mostly bad for you when they aren't fun, they just waste your time.

Killjoy-NL

Crying about Wokeness in games is often as bad as Wokeness itself.

The concept of GaaS is a blessing for gaming and people whining about it are boomers facing extinction.

Xbox going full 3rd party will create healthy and balanced competition between Playstation, Nintendo and PC.

Consoles aren't going anywhere, unless you're Xbox.

Raven117

Gold Member
People have forgotten how to enjoy video games of all varieties as a hobby like they used to when they were younger, and some people look towards gaming too much to solve internal problems as a fix, which is why they become more jaded when they put up their own roadblocks and qualifiers to getting that fix (example of qualifier/roadblock "game must do something new for me to play it" as if creatively unique ideas are an infinite well).

Second hot take: For those who don't put up these self-inflicted roadblocks, there are more than enough video games in existence and in the future for a person to play and enjoy throughout life and probably their kids' entire lives and grandkids lives too, without ever having to become jaded or worry about the industry moving in a certain direction.
Man… that first take is interesting. It’s almost like some folks are “abusing” video games rather than just enjoying them when one you are interested in comes along.

The current gaming industry is in a state of diseconomies of scale due to the Pandemic craze. Diseconomies of scale are the cost disadvantages that economic actors accrue due to an increase in organizational size or in output. There are no good deals anymore without subscribing, in order to support the sheer weight of popularity gaming has, unfortunately, achieved.

StueyDuck

The smug exec/dev bastards want the industry to die...

I don't know why, but how else do you explain companies and developers consistently making the wrong decisions

Radical_3d

It’s more our fault, as trend settlers, than the casuals that the industry is the way it is today. We have grown old and money is no longer a problem, and because of that we’re not voting with our wallets. We’re rewarding every slimy tactic in the industry, from the lack of backwards compatibility to the disaster of GamePass, as well as the prices of the PC market. Yes, we are less and we don’t count as much as the casual player. But the hardcore should have been more responsible during this past transitional years and we haven’t been.

Woggleman

Gold Member
I have nothing against online gaming in and of itself but I admit it does make me feel some kind of way when GTA online makes Rockstar treat everything else as second class. GTA V and RDR2 should have gotten SP DLC and the reason RDR2 still hasn't gotten a 60 FPS upgrade for current gen consoles is because it's online mode isn't as profitable.

As bad as Sweet Baby Inc, AAA, Micro Transactions are, etc. The general gaming community is just as bad. I rant about it here and there but it kills me that we get quality titles that just get completely written off or downright dogpiled because too many gamers rely on YouTube and Metacritic when it comes to deciding what games they'll play. (Wait for) Gamepass and PS+ as well. I understand that everyone has a budget but please just STHU when it comes to threads about games you haven't played. No one needs your drive-by poo poo comments that are based on some YT videos you watched or a Metacritic summary. Sit back and let the adults who took a chance discuss the game, or ask questions if you're on the fence. Smaller games have it hard enough as it is in his market. This is a gaming enthusiast forum, some of you act like a bunch of reddit casuals. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

AAA games, fuck em. I'll be a hypocrite all day on that because those games absorb all the oxygen in the room and are guaranteed to sell at least a million+ based on hype/name recognition alone.

Generic

As bad as Sweet Baby Inc, AAA, Micro Transactions are, etc. The general gaming community is just as bad. I rant about it here and there but it kills me that we get quality titles that just get completely written off or downright dogpiled because too many gamers rely on YouTube and Metacritic when it comes to deciding what games they'll play. (Wait for) Gamepass and PS+ as well. I understand that everyone has a budget but please just STHU when it comes to threads about games you haven't played. No one needs your drive-by poo poo comments that are based on some YT videos you watched or a Metacritic summary. Sit back and let the adults who took a chance discuss the game, or ask questions if you're on the fence. Smaller games have it hard enough as it is in his market. This is a gaming enthusiast forum, some of you act like a bunch of reddit casuals. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
This. One million times this.
So many good games were razed.

Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it targeted too much of the boomer gamer crowd. And the boomer gamer crowd spends the least on games and are deal hunters. They will vouch for wacky indie games while never buying them or buying them at the lowest possible cost.
I think it bombed because it was just overrated. I remember gaf hyping the hell out of that game when it dropped. Got the PS5 port a couple months back and the game is just mid. Not bad or anything but it's like a 7.5/10. Combat is super weird, the whole premise of the game being rhythm based, yet they have so many levels where they throw multiple enemies where it becomes pretty much a hack n slash. I did enjoy the enemies in which you need to time the perries with either a Dodge or block, but they were dwarfed by the regular boring enemies. Arr style was dope though, gotta give Tango props for that.

Anyway, for my actual take (not sure if this is considered hot or not) but games are way too fucking long. Hearing a game has over 50 hours of content is the biggest turnoff for me, even from devs I love. FROM is a great example, they are either my first or second favorite Dev and I just couldn't finish ER. Put 25 hours into it and found I was bored as fuck as I was running around an open world just fighting repeat bosses with uninteresting caves and catacombs. Give me 20-40 hour games at most with linear, semi-open or just a small open world and I'll be happy.

TexMex

I pretty much feel the same even though I think the software library is great. Something about it just repels me from it. Yet I love the Wii U. I dunno.

I don't value portability at all personally so the prospect of "do you want to play the absolute worst version of any multiplatform game on the go?" has never done it for me. And sorry even half of the first party games run like ass (some exceptions like Odyssey and Prime Remaster of course), which I could forgive but even at perfect performance I wouldn't care for this gen of Nintendo output either. I also hate the feel of the device itself. The joycons just feel atrocious, it feels cheap (and it is). I pulled out my "New" 3DS XL the other day and it's such a high quality feeling, premium device by comparison.

hinch7

Remakes can be good if they add more to the origional but not take away from it. FF7R for example, the main story is largely in tact and characters but brought to life with modern rendering techniques, movement and combat. With a lot of passion made to bring it to newer audiences but also to old fans of the game(s). The ones that are half baked remakes and more like remasters are better off dedicating resources into other games. Preferably new ones.

Last edited:
I don't value portability at all personally so the prospect of "do you want to play the absolute worst version of any multiplatform game on the go?" has never done it for me. And sorry even half of the first party games run like ass (some exceptions like Odyssey and Prime Remaster of course), which I could forgive but even at perfect performance I wouldn't care for this gen of Nintendo output either. I also hate the feel of the device itself. The joycons just feel atrocious, it feels cheap (and it is). I pulled out my "New" 3DS XL the other day and it's such a high quality feeling, premium device by comparison.
I despise the joy cons. Hands down the worst console controller of all time IMO. I think that's fair to argue considering the year it released and Nintendo's history. A console that requires you to buy a 'classic controller' is total bollocks.

ByWatterson

In spite of all the faults of the games industry, games themselves are better in every conceivable way - quality, expression, variety, controls, graphics, sound, gameplay - than ever before. And that this is so is nearly an objective fact.

The malcontents arguing otherwise are unimaginative, terminally online swine who focus on a narrow stratum of AAA releases from like three publishers.

avin

Saying something like "Sweet Baby Inc is destroying gaming" or "Woke games are killing the industry" is not controversial.

Well, it should be. Woke games aren't "killing" the industry. The industry is making woke games because companies judge that's who is spending the most money.

avin

cortadew

Fromsoft games are top tier and great but many of their fans are annoying elitists who think that anything outside of what they deem to be true games are bad game design.

TLOU2 has great pacing and I beat it within a week which felt like two days

People who complain about sexy women in games and the people who complain when they aren't sexy are two sides to the same coin

Rockstar controls can use some updating but I hope they don't lose their Rockstar feel.
I agree with everything you said.

Top Bottom