• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your controversial gaming opinions in regards to the state of the gaming industry

cormack12

Gold Member
Most developers/publishers design games to be disposable these days. It's very hard to find games that are genuinely enjoyable to replay once you've clocked them.

Most gamers don't prioritise their time and interests well, to focus on what they really want to play.

Nintendo games are generally overrated by critics. This is not saying they aren't good games but they do get a bump in their scores.

A lot of people on forums dislike popular online shooters because they are bad at them.

Most delays and development time is caused by poor management for things which are generally unimportant.

MarkMe2525

That gaffers (and other forum dwellers) too often attribute anamorphic characteristics to the companies that comprise the "gaming industry." Of course, this includes myself and is not limited "gaming."
CRT users are a cult
My Genesis, PS2, PS1, SNES, GameCube, and Wii games look objectively better on my CRT. I don't see the connection to an unfounded belief system based on misinformation and a charismatic leader. 🤷‍♂️

I dislike the curious idea that some very specific studios or publishers are so much above everybody else. That From Software are swimming against the tides of mediocrity on their own. That Nintendo is only God-tier game-design when it's obviously not the case.

People can be very critical or incredibly lenient depending on the context, it's unsettling. Sometimes critical thinking needs to vanish.
What you describe is not "critical thinking".

Last edited:

Generic

There’s too many games being released. There was a time when you could read a magazine once a month and be better informed about the whole industry than anyone who simply played games. Today there’s no way to be a gaming expert. More games come out in a year than there used to be released on any given platform in a whole generation.

Most games are bloated. Too many tutorials, too many weapons and items, too many stats and variables, too many skills. Most games outstay their welcome by being way longer than they need be.

The core gamers market made a huge mistake by rejecting motion controls in their entirety in favor of a control scheme that’s been essentially the same for three decades. Only to add extra paddles to their controllers or buy $200 “elite” controllers that stick drift just as the regular ones. And nobody ever liked clicking in a stick to perform an extra action that somehow can’t be mapped to any of the dozen other buttons on a standard controller.

Too many publishers are willing to spend money to beat industry leaders at their own game by competing with established multiplayer behemots, instead of letting devs do original stuff. If your attempt to overthrow the current market leader crashes and burns, as it’s most likely, nobody will remember your product next month. Releasing original stuff would be a better way to waste money, and it would probably cost less in the end. And it could headstart a new wave of original games.
I miss motion controls...

Killer8

- Obviously no one wants games to be more expensive but publishers are correct that they really should be rising in line with inflation. The gaming industry shouldn't be immune to an economic reality every other industry has to deal with.

- Games should be shorter because next to no one finishes them if they are over 20 hours long. It's just money and dev time wasted on content that most people will never see. Would Hollywood continue to make 2.5 hour long movies at $250 million a pop if three quarters of their audience tapped out after 45 minutes?

- 4K is an endgame resolution and research shows most people with 20/20 vision can't tell the difference between it and 8K, even on big TVs (see the recent Digital Foundry thread on this lol).

- As much as we don't want to admit, live service is successful and makes a lot of money. My hatred is actually more directed at gamers for playing and putting money into this slop than the publishers for responding to what people want. We get the industry we deserve. Maybe if you guys bought good single player games we wouldn't be in this mess.

- Recent remakes have actually been far better than they had any right to be. Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 look fantastic. You get to a point where you just tune out whiners and nitpickers who will never be happy.

- For as many problems as the industry has, I am still overwhelmed with good games to play each year. I can't keep up and the backlog only grows bigger. "Gaming is dead" posters are lazy and refuse to increase their scope beyond AAA stuff. I have a feeling many of them maybe play one or two games a year.

Shut0wen

To be clear, by controversial gaming opinions, I mean controversial by NeoGAF standards.

Saying something like "Sweet Baby Inc is destroying gaming" or "Woke games are killing the industry" is not controversial.

My controversial opinion:
Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it targeted too much of the boomer gamer crowd. And the boomer gamer crowd spends the least on games and are deal hunters. They will vouch for wacky indie games while never buying them or buying them at the lowest possible cost.
You do realise hi fi rush is a double A game literally for nothing but gamepass

Shut0wen

Indie developers need to grow there business so that they can make the industry grow and adventure out into double A and even triple A, last indie developer i remember doing anything remotely like it has been cdpr and spiders

I often think that posters who have raging hate boners for online gaming are just socially retarded and don't have any friends.
And/or they're just plain bad at PvP. Let's be honest, shall we? Their ego takes a massive hit every time they get killed in a MP game.

Fighting dumb NPCs is way easier, isn't it? PvP is way harder than even Soulsborne games where you just have to memorize the boss NPC's patterns.

SP games are fine IMHO as solitary entertainment, but when I want to play something with my friends (social entertainment/camaraderie), then even the best SP game of the century just won't cut it.

When I want a steak, you cannot offer me a lettuce just because it's "healthy" or whatever. I want a steak for a reason, goddamnit!

I don't get why some people would prefer to watch a YouTuber play a game they want to play instead of playing it themselves.
I also don't understand why people would rather watch football than play it themselves and yet, here we are!

It's called passive entertainment/living by proxy (cheering for someone else's success).

Sushi_Combo

And/or they're just plain bad at PvP. Let's be honest, shall we? Their ego takes a massive hit every time they get killed in a MP game.

Fighting dumb NPCs is way easier, isn't it? PvP is way harder than even Soulsborne games where you just have to memorize the boss NPC's patterns.

SP games are fine IMHO as solitary entertainment, but when I want to play something with my friends (social entertainment/camaraderie), then even the best SP game of the century just won't cut it.

When I want a steak, you cannot offer me a lettuce just because it's "healthy" or whatever. I want a steak for a reason, goddamnit!
Yeah I will admit that I'm not as engaged in MP games now (mostly pvp), I really do suck. It seems like every single online game is filled with sweats. I always opt-in for support roles because that's where I usually excel.
With friends it is entirely different though of course and it does become a bit more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Considering how many people slob the knob of this studio, and it's main games, this is controversial. Naughty Dog pretty much ruined modern gaming.

The Last of Us 1 and 2, and Uncharted, were a cancer to gaming. Because it convinced a bunch of people that watching a oscar winning/bait movie, and going "Let's make this in game form" and releasing it to the world, is enough for the world to consider your thing literally the greatest game ever made.

It doesn't matter if it's mediocre or not, it doesn't matter if the gameplay is actually FUNCTIONAL or not (This doesn't apply to TLOU, but to games that followed on its footsteps), if it actually was made by people who care about video games or by wannabe movie directors too hack to make it into the movie industry. Nothing matters besides, it look shiny, we got Troy Baker or people just as pretentious or famous as he is, and look the cinematics! It look just like movie!

Naughty Dog indirectly birthed God of War 2018. Oscar bait trash.

It birthed Red Dead Redemption 2, literally one of the most disgustingly awful VIDEO GAMES ever made. BUT IT LOOK SHINY THOUGH, but look at horse balls though! But movie-like acting though.

I'm sorry if this sounds elitists from my part, but I want games to be made by people who actually care about video games, and love video games. And aren't just looking for a cheap Oscar, or desperately trying to make a movie.
I think you confuse Neil Druckmann (yeah, he's an artsy fartsy wannabe Hollywood director, just like Kojima) with people like Bruce Straley, Justin Richmond (game devs who actually care about the gameplay experience) etc.

You cannot honestly convince me that this isn't fun2play, because me and my friends literally poured hundreds (maybe even thousands) of hours into it and we certainly didn't spend so much time for the cutscenes alone:

The only cinematic touch that is actually gameplay-focused is the helicopter that tries to discourage campers/snipers, so it's not an unnecessary cinematic addition as you'd like to think.

But then again, you never even tried the MP, did you? Especially with friends. Let alone the (paid) DLC maps (like Highrise).

At least maps are free these days, that player pool splitting cancer is gone, but gameplay in modern MP games is not as much fun as it used to be 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I wake up every day hoping there are new AI tools released that will either further automate game production and/or make it even easier for anyone to develop an idea they have into a video game.

Generic

I think you confuse Neil Druckmann (yeah, he's an artsy fartsy wannabe Hollywood director, just like Kojima) with people like Bruce Straley, Justin Richmond (game devs who actually care about the gameplay experience) etc.

You cannot honestly convince me that this isn't fun2play, because me and my friends literally poured hundreds (maybe even thousands) of hours into it and we certainly didn't spend so much time for the cutscenes alone:

The only cinematic touch that is actually gameplay-focused is the helicopter that tries to discourage campers/snipers, so it's not an unnecessary cinematic addition as you'd like to think.

But then again, you never even tried the MP, did you? Especially with friends. Let alone the (paid) DLC maps (like Highrise).

At least maps are free these days, that player pool splitting cancer is gone, but gameplay in modern MP games is not as much fun as it used to be 15 years ago.

The funny thing is that The Last of Us II (which wasn't directed by Bruce) had better gameplay than the first one.

cortadew

I also don't understand why people would rather watch football than play it themselves and yet, here we are!

It's called passive entertainment/living by proxy (cheering for someone else's success).
It's different, most people don't want to or can't play football on that level, also those players are stars that go way beyond.

Most youtubers doing playthroughs are average it's just that they have a certain personality and it's okay if people watch them but to me at least someone else playing a game will never top the feeling of me playing the game and enjoying the game because games are an active hobbies unlike movies or sports.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo this generation brought nothing in innovation. Only reason it gets a reach around was because of the ease of having games in the claws of Nintenyearolds. GC to even WiiU had more innovation. Mario Odyssey, TOTK and Metroid 5 were all painfully mid. The Koolaid was a strong batch this gen.
Play Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder and perhaps also the upcoming Zelda releasing in September if you want to experience the old Nintendo innovation.
Play Ring Fit, LABO, Game Developer Garage for new styles of innovation that may or may not be your cup of tea. ARMS was innovative but too shallow to catch on.

Still, some aspects of Mario Odyssey and TotK were very good. Mario Party did a few innovative things such as multi screen support in any orientation. Captain Toad DX added some cool new concepts. Browser's Fury may not have been innovative but it was fun.

Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Kart and other Mario Sports all failed to innovate, I'll give you that.
Luigi's Mansion was mid. Platinum's offerings too. Xenoblade series didn't innovate either. Switch Sports was disappointing. Yoshi was worse than the previous entry. Endless Ocean was bad.

This generation was more about reestablishing themselves in the industry for Nintendo. Building up their brand and attracting a much larger audience. Further evidence of this is their heavy investments in movies and theme parks.

Last edited:
I want all games available on all platforms and cross-buy between all ecosystems. Apparently this is controversial.
I honestly don't mind it if we're talking about MP games (because it makes the matchmaking so much better), but for SP games it ruins the traditional model that tries to increase hardware sales with exclusive games.

I wouldn't mind if all 3 companies (Sony, MS, Nintendo) decided to release a common hardware platform, but how likely is that to happen? Especially without disagreements.

For example, Microsoft touts XBOX to be the ultimate console to play shooter games and they don't even have a gyroscope sensor in their controller! How idiotic can that be?

Nintendo is a lot better for playing shooters (if you haven't played Splatoon, then obviously your opinion doesn't count) and even Sony does have gyro since the PS4, but they don't even use it in 1st party exclusives (I'm looking at you, Uncharted 4)!

PS Vita (a failed console) made a lot more use of the gyro sensor in games like Uncharted, Killzone etc.

The whole industry is a mess and full of idiotic decisions that rarely ever make sense.

Of course gamers/consumers are not entirely innocent. How many of them demanded gyro to become a gaming standard? How many of them think that gyro aiming is akin to "Wii waggling" and just dismissed it?

Why do they feel it's OK to use analog sticks for aiming and then let PCMR folks mock console shooter games because they don't have a mouse?

Gyro can be as precise as a mouse with some training, but very few people realize this.

Yeah I will admit that I'm not as engaged in MP games now (mostly pvp), I really do suck. It seems like every single online game is filled with sweats. I always opt-in for support roles because that's where I usually excel.
With friends it is entirely different though of course and it does become a bit more enjoyable.
Unfortunately even PvE/story Co-op with friends is dead these days, let alone splitscreen (yeah, that was a thing too):

I was mostly a PvP guy in Uncharted MP, because PvE can become boring after a while (as soon as you figure out the best strategies to fight NPCs), but I'm not gonna lie, it was fun while it lasted!

Most PvP games are filled with sweats, because noobs tend to abandon them really quickly. Kinda like survival of the fittest.

Making these games F2P and not adopting SBMM (skill-based matchmaking), but latency-based matchmaking can increase enjoyment for everyone.

The funny thing is that The Last of Us II (which wasn't directed by Bruce) had better gameplay than the first one.
TLOU2 was too long for my taste, it overstayed its welcome and that made the gameplay feel more repetitive for me.

TLOU1 had the right duration IMHO.

tommib

Gold Member
I much prefer Elden Ring in Quality mode on PS5 than performance. I don’t do ray-tracing because it tanks performance during heavy boss fights to low 20s otherwise I would do ray-tracing since shadow casting is night and night without any of the normal glitches we see in surfaces.

Love unlocked frame-rates in Quality modes. Don’t get me started on the peasants running PS4 version on PS5. You’re missing all the beauty and artistry.

Švejk

Play Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder and perhaps also the upcoming Zelda releasing in September if you want to experience the old Nintendo innovation.
Play Ring Fit, LABO, Game Developer Garage for new styles of innovation that may or may not be your cup of tea. ARMS was innovative but too shallow to catch on.

Still, some aspects of Mario Odyssey and TotK were very good. Mario Party did a few innovative things such as multi screen support in any orientation. Captain Toad DX added some cool new concepts. Browser's Fury may not have been innovative but it was fun.

Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Kart and other Mario Sports all failed to innovate, I'll give you that.
Luigi's Mansion was mid. Platinum's offerings too. Xenoblade series didn't innovate either. Switch Sports was disappointing. Yoshi was worse than the previous entry. Endless Ocean was bad.

This generation was more about reestablishing themselves in the industry for Nintendo. Building up their brand and attracting a much larger audience. Further evidence of this is their heavy investments in movies and theme parks.
I will definitely give Nintendo credit for using their 1st party IPs to it's fullest over anyone else, just that everything they put on the Switch, could've (should've?) easily been done on the WiiU. I wouldn't be so bitter about the crazy pills I feel like I've taken, but it's gamers that claim that everything they release is top tier gold for no other reason than being drunk on the fanboy Koolaid.

What also doesn't jive with me at all, is handhelds. Have zero desire or need for that, so it's hard not to see any other hype stimulant other than that. I'm definitely curious how successful it really would've been if not for that.

1) I will definitely give Nintendo credit for using their 1st party IPs to it's fullest over anyone else, just that everything they put on the Switch, could've (should've?) easily been done on the WiiU. I wouldn't be so bitter about the crazy pills I feel like I've taken, but it's gamers that claim that everything they release is top tier gold for no other reason than being drunk on the fanboy Koolaid.

2) What also doesn't jive with me at all, is handhelds. Have zero desire or need for that, so it's hard not to see any other hype stimulant other than that. I'm definitely curious how successful it really would've been if not for that.
1) Switch might be close to Wii U when it comes to processing power, but Wii U only has 1GB of addressable memory for games (1GB is reserved for the OS), while Switch offers 3.25GB of memory.

So when a game totally utilizes the entire available RAM, then I honestly doubt it would be able to run on Wii U.

It's true that some Switch gamers are willing to buy every indie shovelware crap and praise it, just because it has a Switch version and it's portable!

Just like PSVR gamers are willing to buy every fucking shovelware, just because it has a VR version. PSVR2 is even worse (totally abandoned by Sony).

Worst audiences by far, but for me Switch is worth it for some (not all) Nintendo exclusives. It's not an indie machine, nor it should be.

2) I don't like handhelds at all these days, that's why I always use docked mode + Pro controller.

And yeah, that's pricey (I've paid for 2 joycons + 1 LCD screen + 3 extra batteries I never use), that's why I've suggested that it makes financial sense to release a docked-only/home console SKU with Pro bundled at $250.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The Last of Us at *best* is a highly mediocre game with little to nothing that it does better than its contemporaries. Even the combination of the various genre’s it tries to incorporate all feel half-baked and not fully fleshed out. The only reason people think highly of this series is because they have played/experienced very little other titles that do everything TLOU does, but better earlier. Or they are console warring morons.

RCU005

4K should have never been a thing in gaming (yet).
We should’ve advance one step at a time, so we should be at 1440p now.
I believe this is one of the many reasons making a game cost much more.

Also, 60fps shouldn’t be for every game (yet). Again, technology is not 100% there, specially on consoles. Right now it should only be for shooters or fighters, etc.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
HDR has no set standard and is a complete scam

Dolby Vision fanboys are ignorant

4K tvs aren't worth it for 99% of people

high end 1080p tvs died too soon

The difference between a GREAT VA panel and a W-OLED isn't that big of a deal

IPS is dead tech (well thats a fact but people are still buying washed out overpriced glowie monitors for some reason)

"PlayStation" headphones/sets have sucked since forever and anyone still buying them deserves what they get

The gaming industry started to die around the same time Ralph Baer actually did RIP

A lot of the issues people blame on the Pandemic started in 2017/2018

Most modern gamers don't care about quality just addicts looking for a dopamine hit to escape the grim reality of the 2020s

Most modern gamers don't care about quality just addicts looking for a dopamine hit to escape the grim reality of the 2020s
You hit the nail on the head with this one. Most modern gamers are like drug addicts.

But there's one thing I don't understand (since video games are mostly escapism).

Why the hell do they prefer playing dark/grim video games, instead of more cheery/colorful ones? (and by that I don't mean LGBT stuff, but a more rich color palette, like old school Naughty Dog/Nintendo games)

The reality is already grim enough, most cities are boring gray, so why the fuck would someone embrace the exact same thing in video games?

I don't fucking get it...

Last edited:

RickMasters

We are heading for a future where the account is more important than the hardware. It’s actually this….. thats going to kill the idea of exclusives. Your Xbox, steam, PSN and Nintendo accounts on one box.

We will see the rise of better built console like PC boxes to facilitate the above. And manufactures like ASUS and gigabyte and MSI will do the designs based on reference designs by MS, Sony etc.

Xbox is going to be the first to embrace this….. Sony will follow. Nintendo will have no choice.

As gen Z becomes more and more the main audience for gaming. Consoles will be come as niche as graphics cards. Thisbis what will also give rise to the above.

I don’t need to point out that games on physical media will be completely dead in the next 5 years, do I?

Some of these might sound outlandish now but some things in the biz right now would sound outlandish to somebody 10 or 15 years ago.

Changes are coming to the industry. For better or worse… and maybe it’s a bit of both? But those changes are coming.

Woggleman

Gold Member
You hit the nail on the head with this one. Most modern gamers are like drug addicts.

But there's one thing I don't understand (since video games are mostly escapism).

Why the hell do they prefer playing dark/grim video games, instead of more cheery/colorful ones? (and by that I don't mean LGBT stuff, but a more rich color palette, like old school Naughty Dog/Nintendo games)

The reality is already grim enough, most cities are boring gray, so why the fuck would someone embrace the exact same thing in video games?

I don't fucking get it...
In dark times sometimes immersing yourself in a world that is even darker makes you realize things aren't so bad. The 2020s are pretty messed up but at least my neighbor is not turning into a mushroom zombie.

RickMasters

The thing that gets me is that Sony has a history of making great headphones but the Playstation headsets are not that good.

Good point. They have a strong reputation for audio gear going back 40 years but they never really utilise that. I’d say even now, they have a ones the adudiophile market for the most part. It’s a long way from the 80s and Sony made some of the best hi fi seperates and speakers. They still do great car speakers though. A friend of mine has their amd speakers and a Sony sub in his Audi A3, and that shot sounds nice! I’m an alpine fan for my car audio though but that Sony stuff does sound nice. Suprised that none of its is being applies to their headsets.

T-0800

I much prefer Elden Ring in Quality mode on PS5 than performance. I don’t do ray-tracing because it tanks performance during heavy boss fights to low 20s otherwise I would do ray-tracing since shadow casting is night and night without any of the normal glitches we see in surfaces.

Love unlocked frame-rates in Quality modes. Don’t get me started on the peasants running PS4 version on PS5. You’re missing all the beauty and artistry.
PS5 version has lots of pop in and an inconsistent frame rate. I will continue to play the PS4 version on PS5 thanks very much.

It's different, most people don't want to or can't play football on that level, also those players are stars that go way beyond.

Most youtubers doing playthroughs are average it's just that they have a certain personality and it's okay if people watch them but to me at least someone else playing a game will never top the feeling of me playing the game and enjoying the game because games are an active hobbies unlike movies or sports.
Growing up, there was a big culture of watching friends and older brothers (sometimes even uncles) play videogames. We'd all even crowd around the original GameBoy, somehow. Modern YouTube streamers is just an extension of that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The law that there’s a guaranteed cod every year should be taken away, people view battlefield a lot more special vs cod.

MAX PAYMENT

Reviews are financially incentivized advertising. And most highly reviewed exclusives really aren't that great.

If a review website lives and dies by it's day one review traffic, it is highly important to be able to receive early access review copies. If a site gets an early review copy and trashes the review, they will no longer receive early access reviews to any of their future products. The larger the publisher, the higher the financial risk is to review their products poorly.

lordrand11

To be clear, by controversial gaming opinions, I mean controversial by NeoGAF standards.

Saying something like "Sweet Baby Inc is destroying gaming" or "Woke games are killing the industry" is not controversial.

My controversial opinion:
Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it targeted too much of the boomer gamer crowd. And the boomer gamer crowd spends the least on games and are deal hunters. They will vouch for wacky indie games while never buying them or buying them at the lowest possible cost.
There is no reason to own an Xbox Series X or a PS5 as PC has and will always surpass those in terms of output, power, availability, games, and is getting damn near every game that's timed exclusive for those consoles. (i.e. swap to a better platform entirely)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone who complains about "narrative games" and then says their favourite game is The Witcher 3 has porridge for brains

There's gotta be a few of you in that Venn diagram

There is no reason to own an Xbox Series X or a PS5 as PC has and will always surpass those in terms of output, power, availability, games, and is getting damn near every game that's timed exclusive for those consoles. (i.e. swap to a better platform entirely)
Buying a console still makes sense in 2024 if you care about physical ownership.

Xbox is the worst in this department, Sony somewhere in the middle and Nintendo the best.

As soon as consoles stop releasing games in a physical medium, then yeah, a PC will seem more appealing.

Sometimes think ND pushed the production bar a bit too high and quickly for others to keep up, we're left with very high expectations and long dev time. Projects just get wound up now as it won't fly anymore. Talent and expertise is probably not widespread enough to deliver what people expect.

Last edited:
angry magic the gathering GIF

lordrand11

Buying a console still makes sense in 2024 if you care about physical ownership.

Xbox is the worst in this department, Sony somewhere in the middle and Nintendo the best.

As soon as consoles stop releasing games in a physical medium, then yeah, a PC will seem more appealing.
I disagree, the only argument to it is cost factor, though with entry level gaming PCs being only a hundred or two more we'll start to see a larger shift. The other end is that physical medium is becoming fairly niche given the install times with most games, updates, and day 1 patches the physical medium can't really be used once the servers are offline unless you're willing to play something wholly deprecated versus it's latest version.

I disagree, the only argument to it is cost factor, though with entry level gaming PCs being only a hundred or two more we'll start to see a larger shift. The other end is that physical medium is becoming fairly niche given the install times with most games, updates, and day 1 patches the physical medium can't really be used once the servers are offline unless you're willing to play something wholly deprecated versus it's latest version.
SP games can be played offline without any patches. If Steam goes down indefinitely, you lose everything (not just the patches).

Cost was never an issue for me and PC gaming saddened me when it migrated from DVD to Steam instead of BD-ROM.

There are also GOTY editions with all patches/DLC embedded into the disc if you're willing to be patient.

E4PYQ-1XEAM2ib9

But hey, if you want digital-only gaming to become the norm, I'm willing to discuss a decentralized blockchain solution to host video games and protect IP rights. Something even better than GOG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom