• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Films of the 2010s

Here are mine...

Top Films
Mad Max: Fury Road
Interstellar
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Blade Runner 2049
The Hateful Eight
Django Unchained
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Edge of Tomorrow
Shin Godzilla
Man of Steel
Dragged Across Concrete
Mandy
Sicario
Drive
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Dredd
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Logan
The Raid 2
Upgrade
Color Out of Space
Midsommar

Some More Films I Loved
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Doctor Sleep
It Follows
Prometheus
John Wick 3
John Wick 2
John Wick
Pacific Rim
Halloween
Predators
The Wolverine
You're Next
Dunkirk
Alien Covenant
Kong: Skull Island
Riddick
Arrival
Joker
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
The Guest
The Nice Guys
Rambo: Last Blood
Under the Skin
The Predator
The Void
The Irishman
Bliss
Bone Tomahawk
Wind River
Godzilla
The Wolf of Wall Street

Kev Kev

Since I don't like endless lists, I go for the top3:

* Mad Max Fury Road
* John Wick (only the first movie. The rest are dumb trash)
* Dredd
Dredd is so good. I could watch that movie anytime and always enjoy the hell out of it. It was actually pretty great in 3D at the theatre as well

-mad max
-inception
-dredd
-whiplash
-gravity
-cabin in the woods

trying to stay away from marvel and SW but I would throw a few of those in there too

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Without a hint of irony, I believe The Social Network is the greatest movie of the 21st century (so far). It's a practically perfect piece of filmmaking which some people shun because "who cares about Facebook".

After that...

Inception
Drive
Sicario
Whiplash
Green Room
The Cabin in the Woods
Bone Tomahawk
Kill List
The Wolf of Wall Street
Django Unchained

In no real order. Missed a few that were covered in the OP.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
images

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I feel like The Rover was the only good movie I've seen in the last 10 years.

honorable mentions:
mad max
social network
a separation
prisoners
arrival

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Do 2020 movies count? Here's a top 5... err... top 7, and I'm probably totally forgetting something. Oh well.

Malmhaus (Metalhead) - 2014

Metalhead feels like an Ingmar Bergman movie infused with the spirit of a Leviathan album. What I love about it most is that it perfectly encapsulates the spirit of rebellion and harnessing that into self expression. The cinematography is top tier and the heavy metal aesthetics in contrast to the Icelandic rural settings make a damn fine pair. If you've ever felt defiant as a youth, or grew up headbanging and throwing up the horns, and don't hate subtitles - this one can't be missed. I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Damn funny when it wants to be too.

Horse Girl - 2020

Horse Girl is my favorite movie of 2020, hands down. Allison Brie is perfect here, and it absolutely is one of those movies where the less you know going in, the better. Best thing Netflix has ever put out ever. Captivating character study. When it wants to be creepy, it nails it out of the park. When it wants to be humorous, you'll be in absolute tears. A surreal masterpiece which successfully explores the pitfalls of mental instability. David Lynch wishes.

Moonlight - 2016

I enjoyed Moonlight so much that I saw it in theaters twice. It's a movie about being an outsider, and doing all you can to overcome when the whole world feels against you, and eventually finding a sense of self and personal closure. All the stuff about being gay and black that people roped into this movie kinda cheapens it in my view. That feels awfully superficial. This is about being a human and trying to make sense of the world around you. Still, I loved the delicacy of the cinematography here juxtaposed against the grit of urban black culture.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2017

People hate Last Jedi, but I loved it. I've gone on many ramblings about how daring and bold the movie was and how it's a borderline art film at times. Some people agree with me, and others laugh when I say this. Whether it worked for you or not, to take the amount of budget that was behind Star Wars and make a movie as weird as Last Jedi was is a bold decision. I'm also a big fan of Kylo Ren. To me, Last Jedi is right up there with Empire Strikes Back. I loved it.

Possessor - 2020

Possessor is a wild ride, and you wouldn't expect any less from the son of David Cronenberg. It creeps under your skin, slowly but surely. Awesome gore and special effects and trippy visuals, and a mind warping existential plot about an assassin taking over other people's minds. Posessor is a movie which isn't afraid to leave loose strings at the end and leave you with questions rather than wrapping everything up in a neat little bow. What's not to love?

Lady Bird - 2017

I love a solid coming of age story, and Lady Bird hit every nail on the head for me. This deals with the angst of being a teen so well, and really hit home and reminded me of what it was like being that age. There's something oddly heartwarming about watching the titular character realize what actually matters in life as opposed to her teenage fantasies.

The Witch - 2015

The Witch is a slow burn. A slow, slow, slow burn. Some would argue that nothing much really happens. I'd argue - yeah, that's kinda the point, you dolt. After watching the The Witch, I knew this Robert Eggers guy was a talent to watch. Just the immediate feeling of dread you get throughout this picture will have you thinking about it for a few nights after first watching it. No cheap thrills. No jump scares. This is a movie where mood is king. Better than his following movie, The Lighthouse, but most seem to jerk off to that one instead. Whatever.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Twas a garbage decade. Nothing stands out as being particularly noteworthy.

You should still be able to come up with your best of the decade. Saying it was garbage and running implies you're worried we'll judge the few films you did like.

Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers Assemble
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Far From Home

What an amazing time to be alive.

* Mad Max Fury Road
* Dredd

I wanted to just praise your top 3 but then you called John Wick 2 and 3 dumb trash... why?

Dredd is so good. I could watch that movie anytime and always enjoy the hell out of it. It was actually pretty great in 3D at the theatre as well

-mad max
-inception
-dredd
-whiplash
-gravity
-cabin in the woods

trying to stay away from marvel and SW but I would throw a few of those in there too

Good stuff here. You guys have good taste.

Without a hint of irony, I believe The Social Network is the greatest movie of the 21st century (so far). It's a practically perfect piece of filmmaking which some people shun because "who cares about Facebook".

After that...

Inception
Drive
Sicario
Whiplash
Green Room
The Cabin in the Woods
Bone Tomahawk
Kill List
The Wolf of Wall Street
Django Unchained

In no real order. Missed a few that were covered in the OP.

Great list and I GET liking Social Network so much, it's incredibly well made, Fincher is a fantastic director and the soundtrack is aces. Probably Eisenberg's best performance.

Twas a garbage decade. Nothing stands out as being particularly noteworthy.

wow, you don't see many movies!

Do 2020 movies count? Here's a top 5... err... top 7, and I'm probably totally forgetting something. Oh well.

Malmhaus (Metalhead) - 2014

Metalhead feels like an Ingmar Bergman movie infused with the spirit of a Leviathan album. What I love about it most is that it perfectly encapsulates the spirit of rebellion and harnessing that into self expression. The cinematography is top tier and the heavy metal aesthetics in contrast to the Icelandic rural settings make a damn fine pair. If you've ever felt defiant as a youth, or grew up headbanging and throwing up the horns, and don't hate subtitles - this one can't be missed. I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Damn funny when it wants to be too.

Horse Girl - 2020

Horse Girl is my favorite movie of 2020, hands down. Allison Brie is perfect here, and it absolutely is one of those movies where the less you know going in, the better. Best thing Netflix has ever put out ever. Captivating character study. When it wants to be creepy, it nails it out of the park. When it wants to be humorous, you'll be in absolute tears. A surreal masterpiece which successfully explores the pitfalls of mental instability. David Lynch wishes.

Moonlight - 2016

I enjoyed Moonlight so much that I saw it in theaters twice. It's a movie about being an outsider, and doing all you can to overcome when the whole world feels against you, and eventually finding a sense of self and personal closure. All the stuff about being gay and black that people roped into this movie kinda cheapens it in my view. That feels awfully superficial. This is about being a human and trying to make sense of the world around you. Still, I loved the delicacy of the cinematography here juxtaposed against the grit of urban black culture.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2017

People hate Last Jedi, but I loved it. I've gone on many ramblings about how daring and bold the movie was and how it's a borderline art film at times. Some people agree with me, and others laugh when I say this. Whether it worked for you or not, to take the amount of budget that was behind Star Wars and make a movie as weird as Last Jedi was is a bold decision. I'm also a big fan of Kylo Ren. To me, Last Jedi is right up there with Empire Strikes Back. I loved it.

Possessor - 2020

Possessor is a wild ride, and you wouldn't expect any less from the son of David Cronenberg. It creeps under your skin, slowly but surely. Awesome gore and special effects and trippy visuals, and a mind warping existential plot about an assassin taking over other people's minds. Posessor is a movie which isn't afraid to leave loose strings at the end and leave you with questions rather than wrapping everything up in a neat little bow. What's not to love?

Lady Bird - 2017

I love a solid coming of age story, and Lady Bird hit every nail on the head for me. This deals with the angst of being a teen so well, and really hit home and reminded me of what it was like being that age. There's something oddly heartwarming about watching the titular character realize what actually matters in life as opposed to her teenage fantasies.

The Witch - 2015

The Witch is a slow burn. A slow, slow, slow burn. Some would argue that nothing much really happens. I'd argue - yeah, that's kinda the point, you dolt. After watching the The Witch, I knew this Robert Eggers guy was a talent to watch. Just the immediate feeling of dread you get throughout this picture will have you thinking about it for a few nights after first watching it. No cheap thrills. No jump scares. This is a movie where mood is king. Better than his following movie, The Lighthouse, but most seem to jerk off to that one instead. Whatever.

Technically 2020 is well... the 2020s decade haha. So no! Gotta give you credit for including TLJ, I loved it, too but it's harder to praise with how bad the follow-up was since it doesn't tell a complete story.

Can't wait to see Possessor! Love his father's work.

TrainedRage

Banned
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers Assemble
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Far From Home

What an amazing time to be alive.
giphy.gif

MrS

Banned
You should still be able to come up with your best of the decade. Saying it was garbage and running implies you're worried we'll judge the few films you did like.
Fair point.

Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt
mother!
The House That Jack Built
Django Unchained
Amour
Infinity War
Prisoners

Last edited:

AV

Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt
mother!
The House That Jack Built

The Hunt is phenomenal. I enjoyed mother! enough as a visual spectacle but the script was on par with an elementary school "learning allegories" exercise. Only watched the gory .webms from Von Trier, bit tired of him.

Odd selection considering you thought the rest of the decade was garbage, but each to their own, at least you posted something.

MrS

Banned
The Hunt is phenomenal. I enjoyed mother! enough as a visual spectacle but the script was on par with an elementary school "learning allegories" exercise. Only watched the gory .webms from Von Trier, bit tired of him.

Odd selection considering you thought the rest of the decade was garbage, but each to their own, at least you posted something.
I apologise - I was on my lunch break and nothing was immediately popping in to my head as being spectacular, hence the garbage comment. Upon reflection, I’ve been able to think of a few good ones that I thought were thought provoking when I watched them. I still think it was a much weaker decade than the 90s and the 00s, though.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: AV

teezzy

Banned
Much like the 00's, I feel the last decade of movies has been largely underrated. You really gotta cut through all the superhero crap and unnecessary remakes, I'll admit, but there be some real gold in dem hills!!

teezzy

Banned
Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy

You watch Neon Demon? If so, what do ya think? I wanna revisit that.

I remember really digging it but I remember you could just cut through the confusion of the audience with a knife. It's the only Refn movie I saw in theaters. I remember this fat, heavy breathing, trailer park cunt sitting next to me groaned, "well that sucked" as soon as it ended and proceeded to struggle to get out of her seat as the credits rolled. Really made me laugh.

Kinda like a trippier version of Black Swan.

I'll put the trailers for both in this thread now since they both apply here and i like trailers

Also, reminds me Gone Girl was sweet too

And what about Nightcrawler? Kinda corny at times, but Gyllenhaal was straight up robbed at the Oscars that year. I have a soft spot for dudes going overthe edge type movies. Taxi Driver, American Psycho, Henry Portrait of Serial Killer, Falling Down, etc...

This fit right in

I don't wanna flood the thread but then you also had

It Follows
Dont Breathe
You're Next
Birdman
Under the Skin
Ex Machina
Manchester by the Sea

Etc

I'll shut up now.. I hope

Last edited:
I thought Neon Demon was just alright. Gone Girl and Nightcrawler are great.

It Follows is totally awesome.
Don't Breathe is fun
You're Next is totally awesome.
Birdman was meh for me
Under the Skin is totally awesome.
Ex Machina was pretty good
Didn't care for Manchester

teezzy

Banned
Oh man, you guys see Trance?! Cool Danny Boyle movie. You also have full frontal Rosario Dawson in it. I should add this to my top list somewhere

E Explosive Zombie Can I watch Mad Max without knowing anything about the IP prior?

Yes. There's backstory to the character but it's unique to that film. The first Mad Max is technically an origin story that gives you an idea of why he is how he is but there isn't much in the way of continuity beyond that. Like, for instance, in the sequel it's some time later and the world has been devastated by war, it has almost nothing to do with the first besides to establish WHY he's MAD and WHY he's a Road Warrior, that's about all. Each film is it's own self-contained story.

Airola

El Incidente
It Follows
Train to Busan
Hateful Eight

Those four movies became some of my all time favorite movies. El Incidente is the second best movie I have ever seen.

I also loved Whiplash and Rush but those aren't as good as the four mentioned above.

El Incidente
It Follows
Train to Busan
Hateful Eight

Those four movies became some of my all time favorite movies. El Incidente is the second best movie I have ever seen.

I also loved Whiplash and Rush but those aren't as good as the four mentioned above.

Can't find El Incidente for viewing =/

Airola

Can't find El Incidente for viewing =/

It used to be on Netflix. It's seems to be gone, at least from my region. Too bad there seems to be no dvd release either that would have English subtitles.

Anyway, I've mentioned this movie here several times. It's about two groups of people. The other gets stuck in an infinite stairway loop, and the other gets stuck in an infinite road loop. It takes an amazing psychological and philosophical turn at one point and that's when it jumped so high in my all time favorites list.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I did a list on Letterboxd a few months ago of my 100 Essential films of the 2010's.

Link

Here's the full list in release order:

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
Interstellar
Gravity
Fast Five
Valerian & The City Of A Thousand Planets
How To Train Your Dragon
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

Tranquil

* Mad Max Fury Road
* Dredd

I liked Dredd, but it's so distracting when the camera goes from high quality HD to vid cam quality from shot to shot.

Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy

You watch Neon Demon? If so, what do ya think? I wanna revisit that.

I remember really digging it but I remember you could just cut through the confusion of the audience with a knife. It's the only Refn movie I saw in theaters. I remember this fat, heavy breathing, trailer park cunt sitting next to me groaned, "well that sucked" as soon as it ended and proceeded to struggle to get out of her seat as the credits rolled. Really made me laugh.

Kinda like a trippier version of Black Swan.

I'll put the trailers for both in this thread now since they both apply here and i like trailers
Drive is actually the only movie from Refn that I've seen.

Top Bottom