• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your gaming life after graduting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
I've got several more years in college before graduation but I'm already thinking on how my life will change when I get a job. So I thought why not ask the GAF crowd? :)

1) What degree and job do you have (hours, future, etc..) ?

2) Do you still have time to play games? Do you have less time?

3) What do you think of your current situation?

4) Anybody here works at companies like IBM, ATI, or any top research/engineering companies? I'd really like you guys to answer 1-3 please. :p

I've been 16 months in internship/full-time work since I started studying, so I can judge the difference often (4 months at school, 4 months working).

Generally speaking, I've been playing more in my work terms. Mostly because I work across the city and I have little free time - so I just end up doing an hour of gaming before getting prepped up for the next day.

At school, I'm just not into gaming as much. Most of the time, I just end up playing my GBA and little else.

And I'm in Computer Engineering.

Doth Togo

I graduated in 1999 with three Bachelor of Arts degrees: Political Science, French and Music. I work in the video game industry in Washington DC managing anti-piracy legal and legislative issues. I'm about to begin law school. Regarding gaming, while I'm surrounded by all the new games and consoles, I personally don't game until I get home. It's an integral part of my life as I see it as benefiting my work. It pays to know what products your clients publish, right?

I game about 2-3 hours every day, usually in the evening...like 9pm to midnight. I've been addicted to the World of Warcraft beta for two months now. I'm a PC gamer. I don't touch the consoles anymore because I find I don't enjoy the games on those platforms as much as I do the PC. I love RTS, FPS and MMORPGs if they're done well (think SWG, FFXI, WoW).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've got several more years in college before graduation but I'm already thinking on how my life will change when I get a job. So I thought why not ask the GAF crowd?

Computer Science, BA (from University at Buffalo, 2003)... I'm a software engineer now, for Northrop Grumman. Work 40 hour weeks (9 hours M-Thu, 4 hours Fri).

Yeah, not as much as I do in college, and I have a girlfriend too, on top of that. But I still live at home... I usually get in 1-2 hours a day, 4 or so on Friday (gotta love getting home early), a bit on Sat before I go out, and a lot on rainy Sundays. I can also afford a LOT more games now, which is good.. but less time to play them :p But it's cool not flinching when you fork over big money for games like Radiant Silvergun or DraculaX:Rondo of Blood.

It's good, I like it... I'm doing the in-house MBA program when they offer it, so I'll have less time, then... But I prefer it to school... don't have to worry about stressful test scores, plus I'm making good money. Plus, I have just enough time to play games. And I get a fair amount of paid vacation (12 days accumulated throughout the year/all the traditional holidays/day after thanksgiving/a whole week from Christmas Eve to New Years/plus, I can buy an extra week of vacation at the start of the year, for the cost of one week's salary).

4) Anybody here works at companies like IBM, ATI, or any top research/engineering companies? I'd really like you guys to answer 1-3 please.

Yeah, Northrop Grumman

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
1) Mechanical engineerin', assistant engineer at turner construction. I work about 50 hours a week, 60 if I have to work on saturday (it's a rotation). Future? With this company, at 21, I'm way ahead of the game due to the fact that I interned for three summers. I'm looking at a promotion at the end of this evaluation period.

2) I still play games, yes. To be honest I kind of outgrew much of gaming last May, I was just playing kohan most of the time. I have a lot of money to throw at gaming, but I don't have has much time as I would like free just for gaming. Nowadays unless it's an online game, I spend maybe 3-4 hours on it and move on. Rarely ever do I beat anything. I'd just rather devote time to reading up on shite that interests me, or getting smashed with friends.

3) It's alright, but I have never been the kind of person that accepts growing complacent. I'm looking into moving onto something else in a year or two, something way outside my discipline. Money isn't an issue for me as I'm still single and don't really indulge in many luxuries, so I'd take a pay cut if I like another job more. I'm comfortable right now, next step is moving out of my parents house. :0

Dilbert

1) I graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor of Science, Physics in 1999. I'm currently working as a systems engineer for a defense contractor (not djtiesto's firm). The hours are supposed to be 40 per week (9/80 schedule), but it often ends up being more than 40 hours, and there are times when I find myself working at home in the evenings and on weekends to meet deadlines.

2) Ironically enough, I didn't really PLAY games when I was in school -- FAR too busy for that kind of thing, and no money as well. Once I was out of school, I eventually got back into gaming -- bought a PS2, upgraded my computer twice, and recently splurged on a GBA. In a way, all the gaming gear has been overkill, since I don't have that much time to dedicate to gaming. Between working, poetry (my main hobby), and a live-in girlfriend, it's hard to find a couple of hours to camp out in front of a screen and play. (I'm trying to get the GF into gaming, but it's a tough sell.)

3) What do I think of my current situation? I'm lucky to have a good job, and in certain respects, I think I'm appreciated here. I like where I'm living, and I like the paycheck. But another part of me is fairly unsatisfied with what I'm doing and desperately needs a change. So, yeah...anyone who wants to hire me, drop me a PM.

Other than that, life is good, although a little out of sync. I need to get back to writing and the gym, now that I'm healthy again and settling down into my new routine. Having someone else move in can be nice, but it's invariably disruptive.

4) The answer would be "yes" -- if you're looking for a challenging technical position, you can certainly find it at my company.

Chrono

Banned
Thanks for the replies. :)

I think the worst thing about leaving school though will be the vacation time. 1 or 2 weeks a year just does not compare to a whole summer. =\ even with a summer course there is plenty of time for gaming. Responsibility is also greater. My goals are pretty simple in school but when I start work in few years it will be the start of a new life with no nice professors extending deadlines. If I my performance isn’t' good enough I'll be out on the street. Scary stuff. :(

Tsubaki

When you're in school, you've got the time, but not the money. When you're working, you've got the money, but not the time.

Biochemistry, BS
40hrs/week with a university. Unsure of future plans.

Still have time, but much much less time/energy. I played all the time in college. Even if I have a free day, I will rarely spend it playing games. Not necessarily cuz I don't want to.

Time/energy limits change. And more importantly, priorities change.

4) Anybody here works at companies like IBM, ATI, or any top research/engineering companies?

Not I...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Cool a survey!

I bailed out of my degree by a year and just got the diploma (This is NZ diplomas a bit different.) Because I did all the technical papers and couldn't be bothered with the management ones, I work as a 2nd/3rd level I.T support Guy, pretty much 9-5 and am slowly trying to do my MCSE (see question 2)

Sort of, I play them to relax in the evenings and play halo on sundays after hitting town with friends. What's really going to screw your gaming time worse than a job is a live in girlfriend. Halo, and Halo 2 is and will be responsible for me taking at least an extra year to get my MCSE. I have trouble putting off study to play games. (I'm 25)

If I wasn't flagging study to play games, I would be flagging it to do something else anyway. It's allright, I'm doing fine.

Lazy

Chrono said:
I've got several more years in college before graduation but I'm already thinking on how my life will change when I get a job. So I thought why not ask the GAF crowd? :)

4) Anybody here works at companies like IBM, ATI, or any top research/engineering companies? I'd really like you guys to answer 1-3 please. :p

I have friends who are doing internships at ATI and IBM. Here's how they would answer your questions.

1) Degree: all have finished 3 years of either Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering. Both companies pay well ($40,000 CDN per year for student interns). The hours are flexible as long as you get your work done. I'm not sure about IBM, but at ATI you can come and go as you please, as long as you finish your work. However, my friend has been regularly working 10-12 hour shifts for the past few weeks to meet deadlines.

2) I would think they'd have time for atleast 1-2 hours of gaming a night, but they're not into videogames. That great thing about work is (generally) once you leave the office you're free to do as you please. No more attending lectures during the day and studying at night. (On the downside, in general, you HAVE to show up to work everyday, no matter what.)

3) Not sure about the IBM guys but the ATI guys are loving it.

Mumbles

1) BSEE, specializing in microwave systems and communications. Mostly do radar design now, but I've done some work on various other military projects in the past. 40 hours/week for work, and 0-5 more of studying.

2) I definitely have more time to play games than I did in college - but then again, I was usually either studying like mad, or drinking like a camel. Unlike school (especially the last two years), once I get home, I'm more or less done, and can do whatever I want with my time.

3) I'm much happier now that I've found another job. Unemployment is not fun, especially when the unemployment insurance runs out, and *especially* when attacks you with his car, after your unemployment insurance runs out. Moving to a new state was a nice change of pace, too, but I'm not sure I like where I live now - it's entirely too suburban for my tastes.

4) Also Northrop. I'm intending to stay in the technical side of things, though - which means hunting down internal classes, and going for an MSEE starting next fall - my finances are too much of a mess at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom