• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 games of 2023?

FluffShake

1. Baldur's Gate III - 9

2. Cyberpunk 2077 2.0/Phantom Liberty - 9

3. Alan Wake 2 - 8

4. System Shock - 8

5. Honkai: Star Rail - 8

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TotK,super Mario wonder, quake 2 remastered, boltgun
Round it off with hunt down and orbital bullet (I bought them on sale in 2023)

Star Ocean The Second Story R (Switch)

As someone who did enjoy the original but wasn't my favorite thus game shocked me on how good it turned out. The HD-2D look is the perfect style for this Remake and everything looks amazing. Battles felt more fluid and I had fun with the added depth to the combat that they added. Music was fantastic. I did everything and I only played through Rena Route. The Post-Game is fantastic. You can break the game more easily now though. The added QOL was a great help and made my experience much better. I'm eventually gonna to go back and play through Claude Route. I hope if SquareEnix ever does a Chrono Trigger or Xenogears Remake, that they use the HD-2D Engine and refine the gameplay like they did with this one

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed (Switch)

As much as I love Xenoblade Chronicles 3, the second game I felt was way better in the story and character department. This game shocked me on how great the story and characters are. I explored and did basically everything. Took me around 40 hours. This game felt like a full experience, I just wish there was more story. I wonder if Monolithsoft will make another Xenoblade. I'm still hungry for more

Kuro No Kiseki I/II (Steam)

The best Trails Story Arc since Trails In The Sky. I loved The Crossbell and Erebeaen Arc but they just couldn't compare to the Libral Arc. There's a noticeable improvement in graphics but it's still not a looker when it comes to environments. Now Character models have improved. The game has some great WAIFUs. The cast are all great and memorable. The story is great too and actually goes to some dark places. I really liked the OST on this one too. They really changed the gameplay. I love the new turned based battle system they went with this time. Also the games aren't afraid to embrace the sexiness. Which is great thing in general

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Steam)

I never played the first game. I was shocked by this game since the way it looks always turned me off. The gameplay is fun and has actual different scenarios and goals that are different from each battle stage. Just the variety was surprising. I was stuck on a couple of missions but I stuck to it. Really like the XCOM type of gameplay here. The story was actually great and the cast were all memorable. Great WAIFUs. I made sure to get all the Bikini Costumes too. Music is fantastic. The graphics are great but my only issue is the white borders that show up in the cinematic cutscenes. Kind of turned me off truthfully

Sea of Stars (Switch)

I'm usually not a fan of most Indie RPGs that take inspiration from JRPGs. This game surprised me. I enjoyed the charming story and the cast of characters. I love the battle system. I love the Minigame Wheels. I did everything the game had to offer. I 💯 each landmass. I got the true ending. Graphically the game was extremely beautiful. The OST snuck up on me in regards to how I just humming the tunes in my head whenever I wasn't playing it. Overall a great experience

Runner Up

Star Ocean The Divine Force (Steam)

After the disappointing Star Ocean 5, I went into this game with lowered expectations. I ended up loving this game. I loved using my VATS in battle and exploring the environments. The graphics aren't that great but the gameplay is what matters to me. The characters looked great especially the Female characters. Had lots of good WAIFU characters. Music is the classic Star Ocean OST which is fine by me since I love that music. I'm going to be doing Post-Game when I'm able to get back to this game. Overall a great experience

Last edited:

Hohenheim

1. Alan Wake 2
2. Armored Core 6
3. Resident evil 4 Remake
4. Zelda : TOTK
5. Lies of P

Didn't get to Baldurs 3 last year, so that's hopefully gonna be one of many backlog highlights this year!

Having bought and completed 18 new releases in 2023 narrowing this down to 5 is no simple task but here it is:

1. ACVI
2. FXVI
3. Remnant 2
4. RE4 Remake/Spiderman 2 (tie)
5. Lies of P

Honourable mentions to Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor, Blasphemous 2, Street Fighter 6, Dead Space, Alan Wake 2 and Rogue Legacy 2.

Banjo64

cumsessed
1. TotK - 10
2. Mario Wonder - 9
3. F-Zero 99 - 7.5
4. Hogwarts Legacy Switch - 7
5. EA FC 24 - 5

I think those are the only games from this year that I’ve played.

IAmRei

- TOTK
- FFXV
- Mario Wonder
- Persona Tactica
- Bayonetta Origin

if i might add "Lies of Pi" and "AC6" still not yet play it tho

CashPrizes

1. Baldur's Gate III
2. Darkest Dungeon II
3. Resident Evil 4 Remake
4. Dead Cells: Castlevania DLC
5. Vampire Survivors DLC

Honorable mentions for Super Mario Wonder which I beat, Dead Space Remake.

At #1 it is far and away BG3, played it almost exclusively for the last 5 months, and still playing it, on my Dark Urge play through now. Baldur's Gate 2 is in my personal top 20.
I am sure Alan Wake 2 would be on here if I had played it. Just beat Alan Wake 1 remastered and now moving onto Control and then AW2.
I did not play Spider-Man 2 but I am pretty sure it would not make it onto the top 5. I really like Vampire Survivors !

Ogbert

ToTK was by far and away the best.

Only other game I really enjoyed was Death must Die.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Best game in 18 years: BG3

2. Hi-Fi Rush
3. Dave the Diver
4. Hogwarts Legacy
5. Zelda TOTK
6. Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty

xVodevil

My PC list I guess:
Diablo 4
Forza Motorsport
Baldur's gate 3
Resident Evil 4
Starfield

Last edited:

Larivel

FF16
Sea of stars
Hogwarts Legacy
Spider-Man 2
Re 4 Remake

Honourable mentions: Blasphemous 2, Armored Core 6

I don't think I even played a 2023 game but I think those 5 are those I played in the past year that I enjoyed the most:
Wolfenstein TNO
Superhot
Spiderman
Ghostbuster The Videogame Remastered
The Talos Principle

Top 5 games released in 2023 that I've played listed in no specific order:

91IR9O992-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
57G3jdS.png
91GYvOnGn3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91tyEgdvCHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81+nyVZX1nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hudo

Top 5 (haven't we had some similar threads before?)

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Alan Wake II
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake

Shoutout to Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp and Moonring

foamdino

1. BG3 11/10
  2. Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader 9/10
  3. Octopath Traveller 2 9/10
  4. Hogwarts Legacy 8/10
  5. Diablo IV 7.5/10
Disco Elysium was my favourite (not-released-in-2023-that-I-played-in-2023)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
1.Armored Core 6
2.Robocop: Rogue City
3.Hi-Fi RUSH

Not counting remakes or remasters thats all folks! Everything else was pretty bad or not my thing

Last edited:

Arachnid

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty
3. Balders Gate 3
4. Dead Space
5. TOTK

What a GOAT tier year. All of those were 10/10s for me. Jesus.

Last edited:

Fbh

I only played like 6 2023 releases and have yet to play a lot of the heavy hitters from this year like BG3, RE4R and Armored Core 6.

Of the ones I played I'd say
1. Tears of the Kingdom 8.5/10: Fun sequel with a better main story and an awesome physics system that was a blast to screw around with. That said I still don't like the way gear works and I still think the side content is mostly meh

2. Fire Emblem Engage 8/10: Ugly art direction aside I love the return to form in terms of it being a combat focused game with all the relationship/conversation stuff back in a secondary (and easily skippable) role. I really enjoyed the engage mechanic too.

3. Rogue Legacy 2 8/10: Downloaded this on a whim from Ps+ extra after hearing good things about it and got really hooked for 2-3 weeks. The gameplay loop is really addictive, it has some solid levels and I liked the variety presented by the various classes and character traits. To my surprise I found myself switching classes frequently as opposed to just picking one I like and sticking with it for the whole game (as I tend to in other games)

4: Hogwarts Legacy (still playing, so far I'd say 7,5/10): While it's a fairly generic open world at its core, the world and attention to detail the devs put into it really elevates the experience (if you like the world of HP). Exploring Hogwarts and its surroundings has been a blast and it's supported by some decent visuals with great art direction, great music and a simple but enjoyable combat system. The fun and easy traversal with the broom as well as the easy fast travel and fast loading also help to reduce standard open world frustrations.

5: FFXVI 7/10: While it was an overall disappointment in almost every regard, I still think it managed to be more than the sum of its parts thanks to characters I really came to like, a very solid first half of the story with a darker and more mature tone (which was very welcome in a sea of generic anime plots/writing that dominate the genre) and fun boss battles.
There were hints of an incredible 20 hours long action game here, sadly it got merged with a trash tier RPG.

Sentenza

1- Baldur's Gate 3
By a landslide.
Both the favourite game released the past year and the one I spent the most time on.

2- Jagged Alliance 3.
My personal surprise of the year. As a massive fan of JA2 -a 1999 release that to many remains the best tactical RPG ever made- I expected this modern resurrection to disappoint just as much as the previous attempts in the past two decades. It didn't.

3- LoZ tears of the Kingdom.
Not as flawless as the press tried to paint it, but still excellent in many ways and undeniably one of the noteworthy releases this past year.

4- Age of Wonders 4 and Spellforce Conquest of Eo.
Even ranking for two games in the same genre released this year. I'm a sucker for a good 4X and these two were quite solid entries in the genre, with flaws and merits that compensated each other.

5- WH40K Rogue Trader
At the bottom of the chart only because as by Owlcat's tradition it released bugged as hell, but at its core an excellent CRPG with an excellent setting. Too bad I had to put it on hold waiting for future patches.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

1. Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Alan Wake II
  3. Baldur's Gate 3
  4. Resident Evil 4
  5. Spider-Man 2
Tears of the Kingdom is an amazing game and breaks my mind trying to figure out how they got that game running, and on a Switch of all things. Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece of game storytelling, and BG3 does the impossible and manages to turn D&D into a video game, with the whole spirit of improvisation and reactivity that goes along with that.

RE4 is great, Spider-Man 2 is great. Octopath Traveler 2 is my honourable mention, it's just outside the top 5, and on any given day I might actually pick it over Spidey 2, I love OT2 so much.

Bartski

Gold Member
1. Armored Core 6
2. Darkest Dungen 2
3. Lies of P
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Humanity VR

Last edited:

stn

I'm only counting what I've beaten so far.

1. Street Fighter VI
2. Final Fantasy XVI
3. Like A Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Lies of P
6. Wo Long

Honorable Mention: CP 2077: Phantom Liberty. I excluded it because its DLC and not a full game, otherwise I would have placed it at #1 or #2. It was awesome.

In terms of games I'm still playing, I got Dead Space, Zelda TOTK, RE4, Wanted: Dead, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy, and some others. When its all said and done, RE4 will very likely top my list. The OG is one of my favorite games ever and I like the remake even more.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
1. The Finals - 8/10

2. Rogue Legacy 2 - 7/10

3. Decieve Inc - 7/10

4. LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom - 5/10

5. Warhammer Boltgun - 4/10

tommib

In no particular order:
  • Armored Core 6
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Quake 2: Enhanced

*GT7 had the more hours dedicated to it though.

Last edited:

Juza

- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Street Fighter 6
- Ghostwire: Tokyo
- Lies of P
- Cocoon

Haven't played Phantom Liberty nor Balder's Gate 3 yet, but I'm sure they will be on my top list of 2024.

Last edited:
Atomic Heart
Cocoon
RE4 Remake
Hogwarts Legacy
Horizon FW DLC

Granted I spent most of the year playing backlog games, so I’m still working my way through Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake II. Doubtful I’ll ever play TOTK or BG3.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I am so far behind on 2023 games that I can only confidently list the below. I'll update once I get through my pile of shame.

No particular order.

Resident Evil 4 Remake
Star wars jedi Survivor
Mario Wonder
Starfield
Spider Man 2

I really want to list Cocoon and Planet of Lana so you could switch Starfield and Spider man 2 for those.

I'll hopefully get through a good chunk of Alan Wake 2 this weekend and then I can get onto others like ACVI, Hogwarts, Robocop, Zelda and so many more.

Packed year so I haven't even had the chance to play most of what I think would be in my top 5. Of the games I played:

Metroid Prime Remastered
Tears of the Kingdom
Sea of Stars
We Love Katamari ReRoll
FF16

I haven't played but expect they might rank:

RE4 Remake
Armored Core 6
Baldur's Gate 3
Super Mario Wonder
Octopath Traveler 2

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In no particular order:
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Rogue Legacy 2
  • Final Fantasy 16
  • Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
I haven't played other popular 2023 games, such as Alan Wake 2, Baldur's Gate 3, and Phantom Liberty, yet.

soulbait

In no order, but these are the games I really enjoyed in 2023:
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
  • Starfield
  • CyberPunk (just started to play this during the last week of the year, and it hooked me)
  • Resident Evil 4

Top Bottom