• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC/Steam) |OT|

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This game is for weeaboos. The OP being great does not resolve this.

Edit: Oh, and I don't wanna spoil myself on the soundtrack too much, but if it's more of this... holy shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL34JQkW6Q

I liked, but didn't love Oath's soundtrack. The volcano theme was awesome and I cranked the shit out of that, but the Elderm Mountains theme was kinda... limp. It wasn't even really good in that "mellow" sort of way.

But that Water Prison song is radical like Edward.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed. Loved this game, glad I got the opportunity to play it with the fan translation since Groupon gave it away.

Probably not going to replay all the characters now, but I'll do a quick run through with either Yunica or "Claw."

teiresias

uh ok not really understanding why i'm being hated on for wanting this on my xbox? Something I'm missing?

Dumping a port begging post that adds nothing to the discussion into a thread, particularly an OT, is generally frowned upon.

I can't wait for this. I loved Felghana, and can stand to have more traditional gameplay Ys after finding Ys 7 somewhat boring and long.

This game is for weeaboos. The OP being great does not resolve this.

Edit: Oh, and I don't wanna spoil myself on the soundtrack too much, but if it's more of this... holy shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL34JQkW6Q

Origin's soundtrack is fantastic and easily my favourite in the series, much like the game itself. Expect tons of great stuff.

I look forward to endless tears of rage when the true manly players on nightmare take on
Darm

Danny Dudekisser

I got one!

Origin's soundtrack is fantastic and easily my favourite in the series, much like the game itself. Expect tons of great stuff.

I look forward to endless tears of rage when the true manly players on nightmare take on
Darm

Man, I don't think I'm going for a Nightmare run of this one. I remember when Oath came out on Steam, I played like 40 hours in under 2 weeks. It was rad, but uh... phew. Too much else I wanna do right now. Plus, I have to be on GAF so I can rage about how shitty MS is at E3.

Lain

Wanted to buy this on release, but with certain things going bad in my life, it'll be a while until I'll be able to buy and play this. Hope it'll do well for XSEED though, more Falcom PC stuff needs to keep coming on Steam.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Origin's soundtrack is truly some amazing stuff. Whenever Falcom threads pop up, I guess I generally seem to adhere to the older sounds all the way up to the PCE stuff when it comes to Ys based on the stuff I post, but Origin's greaaaaat.
Scars of the Divine Wing
Over Drive
Scarlet Tempest

And the Super Arrange? Amazing as always.
Over Drive
Prelude to the Omen
Silent Desert

Darm
LOL, yeah, definitely. :D

Is this ever coming to PSP/Vita? Don't want to buy it on Steam if I can pick it up for the Vita, where all my other lovely Ys games live.

Danny Dudekisser

Is this ever coming to PSP/Vita? Don't want to buy it on Steam if I can pick it up for the Vita, where all my other lovely Ys games live.

I doubt it. Ys Origin never came to PSP in the first place in Japan, and it wouldn't make much sense for Falcom to put forth the effort to port it... it's not like something like say.... Ys IV, where it's old enough that they can completely remake it.

Danny Dudekisser

$20 makes sense, and it keeps it in "cheap enough" territory for most people. Which is good -- I hope this sells well for XSEED. I plan on spamming my (very few) twitter followers again, telling them to buy Ys.

Zapages

15 dollars should have been the sweet spot.. 20 dollars is kind of pushing it with Diablo 3 having recently being released. :\ Regardless, I will be getting it. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
$20 makes sense. It's a bit shorter than Oath in Felghana, but three unique playable characters with their own takes on the story adds replay value Oath didn't have. Plus this is a completely new localization, versus Oath being a re-release since we already had the PSP version.

I'll also pretend that GAF getting 500 errors is because people are just that excited for Ys Origin.

Famassu

I wonder if XSeed will ever consider GOG. Not that I have anything too big against Steam, I'd just prefer GOG and I'd rather just wait & get it on GOG if there's even the slightest chance of a GOG version instead of getting it through Steam now.

Yuterald

Are the various Darm Tower tracks from the original game in Origins? That would be pretty banging.

I really need to set up a steam account and start supporting this shit. I just wish I had a better PC so I could run these games at cool settings. My PC is kinda whatever and it's like the main reason why I avoiding gaming on it. I also don't feel (nor do I even have the cash right now) to invest in a better PC. Oh well, one day. =/

krYlon

The volcano theme was awesome and I cranked the shit out of that, but the Elderm Mountains theme was kinda... limp. It wasn't even really good in that "mellow" sort of way.

Yer crazy! I love that track. Oath still is my favourite Ys soundtrack, maybe because I played it first.
Origin is really growing on me though, something rotten. Why hasn't it been released on iTunes yet? Most of the other Ys soundtracks are there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are the various Darm Tower tracks from the original game in Origins? That would be pretty banging.

I really need to set up a steam account and start supporting this shit. I just wish I had a better PC so I could run these games at cool settings. My PC is kinda whatever and it's like the main reason why I avoiding gaming on it. I also don't feel (nor do I even have the cash right now) to invest in a better PC. Oh well, one day. =/

Yes, there are definitely some familiar songs from Ys I.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Oh man I love the Ys 1 (PCE version) Darm Tower song... it's soooo 80's, in an awesome way.

I'll gladly support XSEED on this one. They're also bringing The Last Story over so I might as well support them with this one until TLS ships.

Bebpo

Banned
Is the US version the upgraded versions of Origins with Adol, Time Trial, and other stuff? I never got the patch for the J-version so if that's in it would be nice.

iavi

As long as Origin has a track that's as awesome as the Wander's from Ys arrangement used
at the end of Oath,
I will be STRAIGHT. Just one. All I need.

---

As for the price, I was hoping for 15 like everyone else, but 20 isn't bad at all.

I thought I was the only one. :O

I think the thing about Felghana's soundtrack is that it has 5 or 6 really awesome tracks (Steeling the Will to Fight, Valestein Castle, Sealed Time, Chop!!, The Strongest Foe) and then the rest are just relatively good at best. Meanwhile Origin is just full of delicious musical brilliance that comes to its peak with
Termination, which is easily one of the greatest tracks in a videogame ever.

Nice! Good price too. I didn't buy Oath in Felghana on steam because I had just bought the PSP version on my vita, but this game is a day 1 for me.

krYlon

I think the thing about Felghana's soundtrack is that it has 5 or 6 really awesome tracks (Steeling the Will to Fight, Valestein Castle, Sealed Time, Chop!!, The Strongest Foe) and then the rest are just relatively good at best. Meanwhile Origin is just full of delicious musical brilliance that comes to its peak with

Can't be agreeing with this at all! Beat of Destruction, A Quiet Moment, all the boss themes, Trading Town of Redmont is the best Town theme ever. I think the whole thing is a masterpiece and it's only after listening to it numerous times in full from start to finish that all the tracks really sank in.

Oh, I do agree with you on Termination though. That is incredible.

WallJump

Banned
Oh God I haven't got far enough in Diablo yet

May 31st? Only 20 bucks?

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Can't wait to see what we've been missing. Oath was so goddamn good I am really pumped to get back into this. Man though I really ought to finish Oath (I'm in the final dungeon, already nuked Dularn).

Oh god, you made me look up Termination... It's now playing on auto-loop. I recognize some Ys1 or 2 tracks in there :p

Edit: Apparently, the tracks I recognized in Origin Termination are the Ys 1/2 version of Termination :p Forgot the name of that song.

Dambrosi

Banned
£12.99? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

But...I already have the Groupon.jp version, fully patched and translated. So, apart from not needing Applocale anymore, the cheevs and the easier Claw unlock requirements, is there anything else new to the XSeed version that might persuade me to double-dip?

I already bought Oath on Steam, btw. Haven't played it yet, but will soon. You're welcome.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
£12.99? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

But...I already have the Groupon.jp version, fully patched and translated. So, apart from not needing Applocale anymore, the cheevs and the easier Claw unlock requirements, is there anything else new to the XSeed version that might persuade me to double-dip?

I already bought Oath on Steam, btw. Haven't played it yet, but will soon. You're welcome.

Depending on how you look at it you technically didn't "dip" the first time. Just depends on how you see it I guess. I played the Groupon version and loved it, and am more than happy to buy it and support Falcom (and XSEED for an official localized version). I considered importing but couldn't justify the cost since the dollar is crap and the yen is strong.

But content-wise, I don't think there will be anything different apart from proper widescreen support. So apart from supporting the developer there's not a whole lot to gain.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Termination
is so good. Great choice.

I think many of Oath's tracks simply sounded better on the PCE, YM 2612, or X68000 in Wanderers from Ys, depending on the track.

For example, I really love the PCE version of Beat of Destruction, but I think it's just "okay" on the Oath soundtrack. And my favourite versions of The Strongest Foe are the PCE version, the YM 2612 version, and the Super Arrange. The Oath one is just okay, but not one of my favourite versions of it. Same goes for PCE Valestein Castle. YM 2612 Redmont and PCE Redmont had some really good percussion, and edit: the SNES version is cute because it reminds me of Phantasy Star. I guess I just prefer that "sound". I just remember saying that they sounded a heck of a lot better than the music I'd originally heard for the NES and SNES versions.

I still like the Oath versions of the tracks, but I prefer the other versions more.

Top Bottom