• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PC/Steam) |OT|

Eusis

In my experience it's the extreme minority of achievements across all platforms that require high levels of execution and mastery. Never realized the bar would be set so high for 6+ year old action hack n' slash games.
Well, Felghana and presumably Ys Origin WOULD break the balls of most modern games, so it sorta makes sense.

Aeana

In my experience it's the extreme minority of achievements across all platforms that require high levels of execution and mastery. Never realized the bar would be set so high for 6+ year old action hack n' slash games.
It doesn't matter what other games are doing. It's always been my opinion that these stupid kinds of achievements shouldn't even exist in the first place. My response was more along the lines of "why do you care, they're going to suck anyway" rather than setting some sort of bar, regardless.

Well, Felghana and presumably Ys Origin WOULD break the balls of most modern games, so it sorta makes sense.

Origin can get way harder than Felghana from my experience. But god damn, as hard as it is that sheer rush of FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES when you beat some of the more brutal bosses on nightmare is just amazing, because they're designed so that it's entirely your fault if you fuck up and die. Although unfortunately there is a boss or two that're just cheap and annoying to beat so it doesn't feel as satisfying,
yes I'm looking at you Darm, you fucker.

So in short there should be an achievement for beating nightmare with all 3 characters.

Origin can get way harder than Felghana from my experience.
Hmm. My biggest Ys accomplishment was beating Boss Rush on Nightmare with Yunica. That was, ouch.

Of course I only did that thinking it would unlock the new bonus from the add-on disc.

Imagine my disgust when I learned the real unlock method. :mad:

So in short there should be an achievement for beating nightmare with all 3 characters.
See, that's fine. What's not is having the same thing for every single selectable difficulty level (or not making them stack).

Or things like "Reach Level Sixty," which is unobtainable without a cheat.

Or "Spend Twenty Hours on One Save," which just means you're leaving your computer idle for sixteen hours.

Naturally it exists. It's called "You've Made Your Point". There is a similar achievement just for Boss Rush too.
Is there any chance of a "skip cut-scene" option this time around?

That's the one thing making my replays of Felghana not as enjoyable as they could be.

Sara

Is there any chance of a "skip cut-scene" option this time around?

That's the one thing making my replays of Felghana not as enjoyable as they could be.
You can hold the cancel button to skip through text as fast as possible now. That's probably coming to Felghana too, sooner or later. I ported it over from Origin which had it all along.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doubt she could say anything since she doesn't even technically work for XSEED.

But I'd be surprised if it didn't make it onto Steam eventually unless there are snags involving Konami (which, to my understanding, there are not).

linkboy

Doubt she could say anything since she doesn't even technically work for XSEED.

But I'd be surprised if it didn't make it onto Steam eventually unless there are snags involving Konami (which, to my understanding, there are not).

I really hope Konami lets it happen, considering they butchered both versions of the game. Don't get me wrong, the PS2 version is playable, but the polygon Adol sucks.

Don't even get me started on the PSP version. The only way to play that game decently when it came out was to play it on a hacked PSP from the memory stick due to the loading being so bad. Even off the memory stick it wasn't that great, it was tolerable.

I'm still fucking pissed at Konami for fucking that up as bad as they did.

iavi

You can hold the cancel button to skip through text as fast as possible now. That's probably coming to Felghana too, sooner or later. I ported it over from Origin which had it all along.

That's some good news. I'll hold off on my replay's then.

Why do you say that? I think he does a fine job. And certainly better than whoever translated Ys Seven.

Did you ever see the disaster that was FC's script? It may not be fair comparing that to an Ys script, but it still counts as his "later work", and he's admitting that stuff he did before that was worse.

Aeana

Did you ever see the disaster that was FC's script? It may not be fair comparing that to an Ys script, but it still counts as his "later work", and he's admitting that stuff he did before that was worse.
Well, I've been pretty vocal about how iffy XSEED's output with the Falcom stuff has been, but I didn't know that Deuce was majorly responsible for that. He got second billing, and of course the whole thing was edited by someone else. But even still, I thought it was much better than Ys Seven's translation.

At any rate, it's my opinion that his Ys work has been just fine.

Well, I've been pretty vocal about how iffy XSEED's output with the Falcom stuff has been, but I didn't know that Deuce was majorly responsible for that. He got second billing, and of course the whole thing was edited by someone else. But even still, I thought it was much better than Ys Seven's translation.

At any rate, it's my opinion that his Ys work has been just fine.

Well I get what you mean about Ys Seven's translation at least, some of the stuff in that was really cringeworthy ("hold onto your butter, cause it's time to churn!" has to be one of the worst things Tom's come up with yet). I'll admit I've never seen any side to side comparisons of his Ys work, but I just find it way too difficult to trust the translations of someone who somehow read "おいおい、一体どうしてそんな事になっちまったんだ?王国軍ってのはそこまでモロい組織なのかよ" and got "You two want to fill me in on why we suddenly care? What does it matter if the military chain of command is that easily broken?" out of it, and that's not even the worst of it.

Koroviev

Well I get what you mean about Ys Seven's translation at least, some of the stuff in that was really cringeworthy ("hold onto your butter, cause it's time to churn!" has to be one of the worst things Tom's come up with yet). I'll admit I've never seen any side to side comparisons of his Ys work, but I just find it way too difficult to trust the translations of someone who somehow read "おいおい、一体どうしてそんな事になっちまったんだ?王国軍ってのはそこまでモロい組織なのかよ" and got "You two want to fill me in on why we suddenly care? What does it matter if the military chain of command is that easily broken?" out of it, and that's not even the worst of it.

What game is that translation from?

Aeana

I can see where that translation came from. It does show that the translators' grasp of the language might not be as strong as it should be, though. It also makes me wonder if they had any context available to them while doing the translation.
I'm with you that FC's translation isn't nearly as good as I'd like, and I was one of the only people voicing that opinion in the OT way back when. (._. ) Still, I don't think it's so terrible that a retranslation is in order or anything like that.

I can see where that translation came from. It does show that the translators' grasp of the language might not be as strong as it should be, though. It also makes me wonder if they had any context available to them while doing the translation.
I'm with you that FC's translation isn't nearly as good as I'd like, and I was one of the only people voicing that opinion in the OT way back when. (._. ) Still, I don't think it's so terrible that a retranslation is in order or anything like that.

Now I want to show you how the
Joshua and Weissman scene at the end
was translated, but it just feels like I'm fishing for an argument if I push it any further, haha. Of course, ask and you shall receive!

Koroviev

was translated, but it just feels like I'm fishing for an argument if I push it any further, haha. Of course, ask and you shall receive!

(Hurry, while no one else is posting!)

Aeana

You don't really need to show me anything. I've played the game in Japanese several times, and I played the English version all the way through. I may not have had side-by-side comparisons, but there are plenty of memorable lines for me that I know were not translated well. I'm not really trying to argue with you, it's just that my experience with his translations of Ys games has been fairly positive. Well, mostly. I had lots of grievances with his original Felghana translation, the one that wasn't officially released. But some of it was fixed in the PSP version.

I'm also not sure we should be blaming him for 100% of FC's shortcomings, since as I said, he got second billing out of three translators, and of course editors touched it after them. But hey, feel free to join my effort to translate the remaining Kiseki games when/if XSEED fails to do so, if you think you're up to it.

I'm not really trying to argue with you, it's just that my experience with his translations of Ys games has been fairly positive. Well, mostly. I had lots of grievances with his original Felghana translation, the one that wasn't officially released. But some of it was fixed in the PSP version.

I'm also not sure we should be blaming him for 100% of FC's shortcomings, since as I said, he got second billing out of three translators, and of course editors touched it after them. But hey, feel free to join my effort to translate the remaining Kiseki games when/if XSEED fails to do so, if you think you're up to it.

Yeah I know, if anything I'm kind of the one arguing here, sorry about that. I'll just finish off by saying that he did personally say he was responsible for translating chapter 3, which is where the majority of the shortcomings were, so I'm not just throwing accusations around for no reason. And I'd have to politely decline that offer, since I don't trust my ability to translate as much as I trust my understanding of the language!

And now to let the thread turn back to being about an awesome game rather than me complaining about things.

Aeana

So does each characters' story have their own dungeons/bosses or are they repeated?
It's the same areas and a lot of the same bosses, but the path through each area can be different for each character in some cases, and there are bosses that are different, the ones that are based on story.

It's the same areas and a lot of the same bosses, but the path through each area can be different for each character in some cases, and there are bosses that are different, the ones that are based on story.

okay thanks, think I'm going to take a little break between each character.

Aeana

I wouldn't be so sure.
I never do that sort of thing, but I went right through all three characters in a row my very first time with the game. I couldn't stop myself.

I'd be more up for doing 3 straight in the row, but just recently I played through 7 and Oath(twice). So I don't want to burn my out of the games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
you have a weird sense of time. it's impossible to beat any Ys game in that timeframe, especially not on hard or higher. he doesn't look like he's ready for a speedrun.

On normal by the time you play it a third time, you can easily do it in less than 6 hours.

Think my first playthrough (Yunica) was around 8 hours. Second (Hugo) was around 6 and a half. And the third one ("Claw") was around 5 and a half. And I wasn't rushing any of those and collected everything on each of them.

I'll probably play through with Claw once it hits Steam and try it on hard. Origin as a whole just felt easier to me compared the other Ys games, except 7 which was also easy, so I doubt I'll have a lot of trouble apart from a couple bosses (Klonsgard!)

On normal by the time you play it a third time, you can easily do it in less than 6 hours.

Think my first playthrough (Yunica) was around 8 hours. Second (Hugo) was around 6 and a half. And the third one ("Claw") was around 5 and a half. And I wasn't rushing any of those and collected everything on each of them.
Yup, that sounds about right. On my subsequent replays, skipping cut-scenes and still getting everything, it was at or under the four hour mark for all three (waaay under with "claw," his game seems to go by faster, less cut-scenes I think?). And that's not speed running, the game is short (as all good Ys games are). That's a good thing!

I wouldn't be so sure.
I never do that sort of thing, but I went right through all three characters in a row my very first time with the game. I couldn't stop myself.

Pretty much this, except I did 4 playthroughs (Yunica normal (before I had a pad) -> Hugo nightmare -> "Claw" nightmare -> Yunica nightmare). The game really is too fun, it'll be nice to see people experiencing it for the first time.

Origin as a whole just felt easier to me compared the other Ys games

Did you ever attempt to play it on anything above normal, let alone Nightmare?

Edit: I can't read it seems. There's your answer then.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much this, except I did 4 playthroughs (Yunica normal (before I had a pad) -> Hugo nightmare -> "Claw" nightmare -> Yunica nightmare). The game really is too fun, it'll be nice to see people experiencing it for the first time.

Did you ever attempt to play it on anything above normal, let alone Nightmare?

Edit: I can't read it seems. There's your answer then.

I've only played any of them on normal. Origin and Seven are the only ones I think I have any chance at on hard, much less Nightmare!

What's the best way to play Ys I & II? I considered buying the Virtual Console release, but wondered if any of the remakes would be better.

Chronicles is really good on PSP/Vita. I don't think you can go wrong with that, but it would cost a little more ($15 on PSN).

With the summer sale being so close I'll wait on a deal for Felghana, if I like it, I'll get Origin and hopefully any future Falcom release. I always wanted to get into this series but never had the opportunity to do so.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Might have to interrupt my Xenoblade obsession to run through this game once tomorrow, since I failed to finish Xeno today like I'd hoped to do. Think I'll take care of the other characters a couple days later, probably.

Can't wait to refresh Steam's store like mad like I did with Oath... strange how I get super excited over these Falcom games coming out but not with anything else on there.

Top Bottom