• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka/PROPE Announce Rodea The Sky Soldier (3DS/Wii) [Up: Trailer And Screens]

Update:

Proper-quality trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfEf0pLp_w

Previous sucky-quality trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-xVn0vZSo

Screenshots:

Father_Brain said:
Higher-res shots from Famitsu:

N5FBK.jpg
GU5CZ.jpg
awNBz.jpg
3kF6m.jpg
pULUr.jpg
WW9eN.jpg
71sQa.jpg

Preview is below, with no details given about the 3DS version. As always, copy and paste.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201101/21039370.html

Original:

11cf76x.png

http://rodea.jp/

Holy shit!

Famitsu has the first look at Prope's newest game, the one that's been said to be his own spiritual successor to NiGHTS to be published by Kadokawa (Earth Seeker) is coming to Wii and 3DS! O_O

I can't tell the title, but Andriasang says it might be Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea, Google Translate seems to show that it is.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/19/flying_get/

Quote from the previous thread:

"The game itself is an action title that takes place in the sky. The action gameplay is what I'm focusing on the most with this project -- interactivity is the most important attraction with any sort of game, and if that doesn't evolve, then games won't be everything they can be. Sonic was all about completely taking over the land, and Nights brought that same concept into the skies. I had always thought that action games that take place in the sky are too hard for players to cope with, but then I thought up a new method for dealing with it. That's how this project got started. If I had stuck around at Sega, then I might have used this concept to make a sequel to Nights!"

Edit: And in case anyone is doubting it, I've seen the scans and it shows Prope and Kadokawa's logo and Wii and 3DS as the platforms, and it fits the description perfectly, there are screens as well, with floating islands and the characters look to be flying in some way.

Edit: Info:

Andriasang said:
Sonic Creator Goes Multiplatform on Wii and 3DS

A few months back, Famitsu revealed that Prope, the studio from Sonic the Hedgehog's Yuji Naka, was working with Kadokawa Games on a new title. That title at long last got its reveal in this week's Famitsu.

Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea is a "sky fantasy" game for Wii and 3DS. That's right, our first Wii and 3DS multiplatform release!

Famitsu says that the game is being brought to us by Naka and writer Takumi Miyajima. Miyajima has previously worked on the Tales series and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Rodea is the name of the game's main character. Also introduced in the magazine are characters named Ion and Princess Cecilia.

Gameplay details are a bit scarce at present. The game is described as a "new feel action game." The Wii version will use the Wiimote exclusively. Screenshots in Famitsu show sky-based gameplay, but Famitsu says there will be a variety of stages outside of just the sky.

In an interview with the magazine, Naka describes the game as "a completely new action game with simple controls." Development on the game started in Fall 2009. At that time, the game Naka and his team were working on was cancelled, and he split his team into two to create their next game.

Famitsu seems to have a big look at Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea this week, so expect further details shortly.

Edit: More info:

More Detail's on Prope's Sky Fantasy Game

A few additional details have surfaced on Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea, the new Wii and 3DS title from Let's Tap and Let's Catch developer Prope.

This game is getting instant attention because of the involvement of Sonic and Nights creator Yuji Naka. He's listed as "executive director."

The magazine has details on the Wii version's control scheme. You use the Wiimote as a pointer. To move somewhere, you point at the location, press B and shake the Wiimote. Your character will fly off in the direction specified. You can continually do this motion to make your character freely fly through the sky. You can keep on flying through the air by pointing at your desired location and pressing B.

CORRECTION: It actually looks like you just have to shake once to get flight started, but afterwards you can just point and press B to continue with flight in your desired direction.

The A button is for performing actions. You can use it to fire a gun as an attack. You can also do a spinning attack by pointing at objects and enemies and pressing A.

In an interview with the magazine, Naka says that games that allow players to experience free flight through the skies tend to have complicated controls. However, they cleared this problem during Rodea's prototype development phase.

Even though you see the Naka name, Rodea isn't a Sega title, Kadokawa Games is the game's publisher. Naka says that this is a true collaboration with Kadokawa. It's something that Prope would not have been able to do on its own.

Edit: Moar info:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/20/tenku_no_kishi_rodea/

Sonic and Nights Creator Unveils 3DS and Wii Flight Game
Yuji Naka aims for simple controls and a deep world setting with Tenku no Kishi Rodea

Sonic the Hedgehog and Nights: Into Dreams mastermind Yuji Naka and his development studio Prope have been pretty quiet since the initial buzz from Wii's Let's Catch and Let's Play faded, releasing just a few iPhone apps and Ivy the Kiwi for WiiWare and DSi Ware. But something far more substantial is on the way from the studio through a partnership with Kadokawa Games.

This week's Famitsu has a first look at Tenku no Kishi Rodea, an original action game that's in development for 3DS and Wii. Naka is serving as "executive director" on the project, which is being developed by Prope and will be published by Kadokawa Games.

The magazine has a four page spread on the game this week with screens and details from the Wii version and comments from Naka, producer Hitoshi Hasegawa and scenario writer Takumi Miyajima.

In Tenku no Kishi Rodea, players take control of a robot named Rodea and experience free flight via simple Wiimote controls. Rodea's actions are controlled entirely through the Wiimote. You point the Wiimote at the location you'd like to travel, press B, and shake to make Rodea fly off in the target direction. You can then keep Rodea flying by pointing at your desired location and pressing B.

You can also make Rodea perform attacks. Pressing A makes Rodea attack with his gun. You can pick up items in the stages to add more powerful offensive capabilities -- a machine gun item is mentioned in Famitsu as one example.

Point at enemies and objects you find around the stages and press A, and Rodea will perform a spinning attack. Stages are packed with a variety of gimmicks, but you'll find that everything can be interacted with via just the Wiimote.

Simplicity seems to be one of the major points of the game's controls. This doesn't mean that you won't find complex situations. Screenshots show advanced flight sequences that have Rodea attacking enemies while in pursuit. The game also has massive bosses which have weak points that players will have to figure out.

In comments shared with the magazine, Yuji Naka boasted of the simplicity of the controls, which have apparently been in place since the game's prototype phase. Work on Rodea began back in Fall of 2009, explained Naka. A project Prope had been working on was cancelled, and Naka set up an experiment where he had his staff split into two teams to create their next game. This resulted in a prototype which had a new and fresh control scheme. This prototype served as the base for Rodea.

The prototype addressed an issue that Naka feels always comes up whenever dealing with flight-based action games: the unity of "control" and "sense." When you try to make a game that allows for free flight through the skies, the controls tend to become complicated. Naka felt that the original prototype successfully dealt with this problem.

Oddly enough, the atmosphere of the surrounding game was originally set to be hard spy action, which is totally different from the comical and cartoony look of the end product that we're getting. It seems that Kadokawa Games may have had something to do with the change, as they suggested that Prope make an original character-driven action game using the control idea.

Naka is quite open about Rodea being the product not just of Prope's work, but of Prope's collaboration with Kadokawa Games. The two companies had "surprisingly close" meetings daily, which provided stimulus for the game's creation. Naka feels that if it had just been Prope working on its own, Rodea would have ended up a totally different game.

The participation of Takumi Miyajima, who previously did story work on Tales of the Abyss and Arc Rise Fantasia, suggests that Rodea could see a deep story component. Based off Famitsu's look at the game, this seems to be the case.

Your goal in the game is to protect Garuḍa, a continent in the skies, from an invasion by the ancient mechanical empire of Naga, which has been revived after 1,000 years. As you lead Rodea in battle against the mechanized armies of Naga, you'll learn the reasons for their invasion and the hidden truths behind the world. It appears that Naga is after Garuda's natural resources.

Famitsu introduces three characters in this issue. First up, Rodea himself. Even though Rodea is facing off against the Naga armies, he himself is a robot from the Naga Empire. He's just been awakened from a 1,000 year slumber, and has lost his memory. Ion, a Garuda girl who loves tinkering with robots, is the one who woke Rodea up. She serves as a support role in the game. Also getting a brief introduction is Cecilia, a Naga Empire princess who 1,000 years back offered her life to save Garuda.

Miyajima shared brief comments with the magazine. The Rodea project was first described to him as "an action game that's set in the skies." He felt the appeal of gameplay that lets players freely fly through the skies, and decided to join the project working on the world view and story components.

As this is his first time working on an action game, he aimed for "simple and easy to understand." At the same time, he hoped to provide areas that players could explore more deeply. His orders were to create a story could be enjoyed by both adults and children.

Joining what will presumably be a deep single player experience, Famitsu has some hints at a multiplayer component. The magazine's information box on the game lists four player support. No actual multiplayer details are provided in the article, though.

Although Tenku no Kishi Rodea is listed in Famitsu has being in development for both Wii and 3DS, the magazine's entire preview is focused on the Wii version. The magazine does not provide a release time frame for either version.

How do you put a line through the text to cross it out?

Edit:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/1...ame-is-landing-here-as-rodea-the-sky-soldier/

The game's been trademarked in NA as Rodea the Sky Soldier.

(I got permission by a mod to post the article)

Edit: Media:

6rszv5.jpg

21r3g1.jpg

166b3eo.jpg

104j8e1.jpg

antonz

Alot of new announcements starting to pour out. Seems like the talk of embargoed til the 19th was true for talking about stuff

Empty

never played nights so that part doesn't resonate with me, but i'm pretty high on prope after ivy the kiwi was surprisingly very good, and i'm high on the 3ds, so yay!

V_Ben said:
I thought that this game was PS3/360 once upon a time? 3DS is still awesome though :D

That appeared to be a misunderstanding of another part of an interview mentioning that he at least was working on 2 Move/Kinect games that got canned but still wanting to support them, I think people took that, plus the hint of this being that this was to be a PS360 game.

V_Ben

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
That appeared to be a misunderstanding of another part of an interview mentioning that he at least was working on 2 Move/Kinect games that got canned but still wanting to support them, I think people took that, plus the hint of this being that this was to be a PS360 game.

Ah, gotcha. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
3DS is going to be epic for flight games, what with the ability to accurately gauge scale and distance now.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Nirolak said:
What did you want the title changed to?

Hmm, please make it:

Famitsu: PROPE (Yuji Naka) & Kadokawa Games (Earth Seeker) unveil Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea for Wii and 3DS

Or would:

Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea (Wii/3DS, PROPE (Yuji Naka) x Kadokawa Games (Earth Seeker)) Information Thread

be better? :p

Maybe the former to look less like a rip-off.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Good for Naka. I bought Ivy the Kiwi before the holidays and though I've only had the time to play maybe 15 or 20 levels, it's obviously a labour of love. There's something kind of small and slight and personal and no-budget about it. When I installed it on the Wii I noticed it was less than 100 megs. Everything about the way it's presented just feels like it's a guy with an idea and some feelings, not a team making video games. I'm probably articulating this wrongly and looking back on it it seems like someone could read it negatively, but I really mean it all positively.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hero of Legend said:
Hmm, please make it:

Famitsu: PROPE (Yuji Naka) & Kadokawa Games (Earth Seeker) unveil Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea for Wii and 3DS

Or would:

Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea (Wii/3DS, PROPE (Yuji Naka) x Kadokawa Games (Earth Seeker)) Information Thread

be better? :p

Maybe the former to look less like a rip-off.
Those don't fit too well, so hopefully this works all right.

Nirolak said:
Those don't fit too well, so hopefully this works all right.

Hmm, I like it, good choice. Thank you very much. :)

I guess the title's not worth adding to the thread title? Doesn't really flow without an actual English title does it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hero of Legend said:
I guess the title's not worth adding to the thread title? Doesn't really flow without an actual English title does it?

Given the character limit I'd say trying to fit the title is a bit of a stretch especially given that it's going to be meaningless to 99% of people until they get an English translation they can remember anyway. I'm sure Nirolak or another one of us will update the title again if we can jiggle things under the character limit and we get an English translation.

Lard

Banned
No doubt Nintendo will decide to keep the Wii one Japan only and the DS one as Europe only.

That seems to be their strategy for third party software these days.

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
Good for Naka. I bought Ivy the Kiwi before the holidays and though I've only had the time to play maybe 15 or 20 levels, it's obviously a labour of love. There's something kind of small and slight and personal and no-budget about it. When I installed it on the Wii I noticed it was less than 100 megs. Everything about the way it's presented just feels like it's a guy with an idea and some feelings, not a team making video games. I'm probably articulating this wrongly and looking back on it it seems like someone could read it negatively, but I really mean it all positively.

I get you, because I feel the same way about it. And I definitely appreciate it for being that.

So my question is, though

Is Wii or 3DS the lead platform? Ivy worked a good deal better on its own lead platform, IMO.

Shirokun

Looks really good. Still, I'm not sure if I like the idea of my 3DS games being downgraded because of simultaneous Wii ports. ; )

Lard said:
No doubt Nintendo will decide to keep the Wii one Japan only and the DS one as Europe only.

That seems to be their strategy for third party software these days.

Nintendo's not the publisher, Kadokawa Games is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
Given the character limit I'd say trying to fit the title is a bit of a stretch especially given that it's going to be meaningless to 99% of people until they get an English translation they can remember anyway. I'm sure Nirolak or another one of us will update the title again if we can jiggle things under the character limit and we get an English translation.
Yeah, I'd say the main issue here is that not only is the title Japanese, but it's really unmemorable Japanese.

Looks decent, though not too impressive technically. The screenshots also all appear to be from the Wii version, though I could be wrong.

Father_Brain said:
Looks decent, though not too impressive technically. The screenshots also all appear to be from the Wii version, though I could be wrong.

Should be, due the aspect ratio, and the game's not in the 3DS section of the TOC from what I can tell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hero of Legend said:
Google Translate seems to translate the title as Sky Knight Rodea (Rodea being the main character).
That translation seems solid enough for now.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I wonder if Wii-3DS multiplatform games will become a popular trend?
Well, the biggest issue is that the Wii doesn't really have shaders, so either the Wii version has to have downgrades that might look really awkward or the 3DS version can't take much advantage of the system's best capabilities.

That said, I imagine it will happen a lot with third party casual games and not very often with major titles.

Have there been other Wii/3DS multiplatform announcements? I thought that there was some sort development tool out there that helped covert shader language to TEV but I couldn't find anything on google so maybe I'm just remembering speculation.

Top Bottom