• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka/PROPE Announce Rodea The Sky Soldier (3DS/Wii) [Up: Trailer And Screens]

Tenbatsu

More info
adriansang said:
More Detail's on Prope's Sky Fantasy Game
A few additional details have surfaced on Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea, the new Wii and 3DS title from Let's Tap and Let's Catch developer Prope.

This game is getting instant attention because of the involvement of Sonic and Nights creator Yuji Naka. He's listed as "executive director."

The magazine has details on the Wii version's control scheme. You use the Wiimote as a pointer. To move somewhere, you point at the location, press B and shake the Wiimote. Your character will fly off in the direction specified. You can continually do this motion to make your character freely fly through the sky.

The A button is for performing actions. You can use it to fire a gun as an attack. You can also do a spinning attack by pointing at objects and enemies and pressing A.

In an interview with the magazine, Naka says that games that allow players to experience free flight through the skies tend to have complicated controls. However, they cleared this problem during Rodea's prototype development phase.

Even though you see the Naka name, Rodea isn't a Sega title, Kadokawa Games is the game's publisher. Naka says that this is a true collaboration with Kadokawa. It's something that Prope would not have been able to do on its own.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/19/flying_get/

zigg

Smiles and Cries said:
says who? because they tell you how to use the wiimote makes it a lead?

Calm down, I'm not using "confirmed" seriously. :)

But it does sound the most logical. How would you propose to adapt that scheme to 3DS?

Ivy suffered on DS when you got into more high-level play because it really needed A/B button differentiation. I suppose you could have used a shoulder-button shift, but that would be substantially more awkward than the simplicity of the two buttons on the Remote. I'm seeing similar problems here.

Sounds almost like a rail shooter, except you choose the path you're moving along at any given moment. If so, sounds good to me. Here's hoping for some footage to get a better idea of how it works.

dvolovets

Great news. I actually have no problem with these kind of multiplatform releases as long as the 3DS versions are being developed at the same time. Hopefully, this'll be the trend and we'll avoid PSP ports.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zigg said:
Wii lead platform confirmed, then. Hoping we get it here.

Localized or not, it probably won't have much text so you can just import it for the Wii. Obviously localization is ideal, especially if they tweak it like they did with Ivy the Kiwi, but we're all good even if it doesn't happen.

radcliff

Controls kind of sound like a pain. Why can't I just point and press B to move, why do I have to shake too? What if I need to make some quick, sudden movements/course corrections? Oh well, I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now and wait for impressions.

d+pad

Stumpokapow said:
Good for Naka. I bought Ivy the Kiwi before the holidays and though I've only had the time to play maybe 15 or 20 levels, it's obviously a labour of love. There's something kind of small and slight and personal and no-budget about it. When I installed it on the Wii I noticed it was less than 100 megs. Everything about the way it's presented just feels like it's a guy with an idea and some feelings, not a team making video games. I'm probably articulating this wrongly and looking back on it it seems like someone could read it negatively, but I really mean it all positively.

Just want to say that I agree with this 100 percent. I'd hardly say Ivy the Kiwi is amazing, but it's definitely a lot of fun and very unique. Also, it's well worth the $20 or whatever it costs these days.

Anyway, I'll definitely be giving Naka's new game a try after Ivy the Kiwi...

apana

I'm on the Wii/3DS bandwagon. I bet we will get a lot of non-nintendo platformers releasing the same time on 3DS and Wii.

ivysaur12 said:
You have to constantly shake the Wiimote? Ew.

Actually, this is incorrect. It looks like you just have to shake once, and then you can just point and press B. I'm going to guess the shaking is for taking off into the air, but the Famitsu article isn't really clear about this.

AndriaSang said:
Actually, this is incorrect. It looks like you just have to shake once, and then you can just point and press B. I'm going to guess the shaking is for taking off into the air, but the Famitsu article isn't really clear about this.
The magazine has details on the Wii version's control scheme. You use the Wiimote as a pointer. To move somewhere, you point at the location, press B and shake the Wiimote. Your character will fly off in the direction specified. You can continually do this motion to make your character freely fly through the sky.
?

Mdk7

NiGHTS (the original of course, not that shitty retarded sequel) is my favorite game ever, so i'm a little excited by the news.
On 3DS, with gyroscopes and 3D, it could be something awesome.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Cool. I liked Let's Tap so I'm looking forward to this.

Mdk7 said:
NiGHTS (the original of course, not that shitty retarded sequel) is my favorite game ever, so i'm a little excited by the news.
On 3DS, with gyroscopes and 3D, it could be something awesome.
Journey of Dreams in unfairly maligned. Some poor design choices bog it down in a few places, but the core of the game (flight levels and score based gameplay) are actually pretty solid. It's certainly not "shitty" or "retarded", just undercooked.

swerve

I hope it means shake the *nunchuck* to move. That, I could enjoy.

But why the hell would you have attack - a visceral, dynamic action - be a button, and have shake to move? Perhaps he wants to create the idea that flying takes effort?

swerve said:
I hope it means shake the *nunchuck* to move. That, I could enjoy.
Gameplay details are a bit scarce at present. The game is described as a "new feel action game." The Wii version will use the Wiimote exclusively. Screenshots in Famitsu show sky-based gameplay, but Famitsu says there will be a variety of stages outside of just the sky.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
I wonder if Wii-3DS multiplatform games will become a popular trend?

I think it could be that third parties start using a 3DS port as 'security' for new original Wii investment, which many pubs seem to be reluctant about these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see others port more older Wii titles too to see if they can eke out more return from older investments also. But Nintendo might have policies about this. It's a strategy that mightn't work well in the long term either as more bespoke 3DS content becomes available.

As for the game, interested in seeing what it looks like. Can anyone describe the visual style?

Dascu

gofreak said:
I think it could be that third parties start using a 3DS port as 'security' for new original Wii investment, which many pubs seem to be reluctant about these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see others port more older Wii titles too to see if they can eke out more return from older investments also. But Nintendo might have policies about this. It's a strategy that mightn't work well in the long term either as more bespoke 3DS content becomes available.

As for the game, interested in seeing what it looks like. Can anyone describe the visual style?
Colourful, but not cel-shaded. Lots of blue skies and green floating islands. Some steampunk-ish airships.

It reminds me of Skies of Arcadia.

Is it just me or does Rodea look like the Human form of Sonic. Same freakin' smile.

also, since there's like only five games currently on the release list, you can't help but get somewhat excited over anything that's announced -- not saying this won't be good though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dascu said:
Colourful, but not cel-shaded. Lots of blue skies and green floating islands. Some steampunk-ish airships.

Nice. Looking forward to official media.

Mdk7

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Journey of Dreams in unfairly maligned. Some poor design choices bog it down in a few places, but the core of the game (flight levels and score based gameplay) are actually pretty solid. It's certainly not "shitty" or "retarded", just undercooked.
It's fucking UGLY.
The art direction is totally wrong (they went from something weird and a little obscure, very imaginative and deeply original to the dumb, sticky sweetness of the worst Disney stuff), the platforming is abysmal, the controls suck considering the potential of the Wiimote (they could have used the remote for creative, immediate solutions based on the motion controls), and the graphics illogically go from nice to MEH to OMGstopithurts.
Really, it was probably one of my most anticipated games EVER, and the disappointment was almost painful for me.

Mockingbird said:
Is it just me or does Rodea look like the Human form of Sonic. Same freakin' smile.

also, since there's like only five games currently on the release list, you can't help but get somewhat excited over anything that's announced -- not saying this won't be good though.

the girl is Tails

Mdk7 said:
It's fucking UGLY.
The art direction is totally wrong (they went from something weird and a little obscure, very imaginative and deeply original to the dumb, sticky sweetness of the worst Disney stuff), the platforming is abysmal, the controls suck considering the potential of the Wiimote (they could have used the remote for creative, immediate solutions based on the motion controls), and the graphics illogically go from nice to MEH to OMGstopithurts.
Really, it was probably one of my most anticipated games EVER, and the disappointment was almost painful for me.
Graphics and art direction are are a mixed bag. The in-game cut scenes and most of the on foot blow, but some of the later stages, particularly Helen's, are awesome. I also thought the pre-rendered FMVs were on point. Bosses ran the gamut, but I thought at least several of them were pretty sweet, my favorite being the spider. As for controls, I skipped the pointer and went for the Gamecube controller. The analog gate feels much better than the more pronounced notches on the nun-chuck as well. More recently I got a cheap PS2 to Gamecube/Wii controller for its circular gate.

Mdk7

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Graphics and art direction are are a mixed bag. The in-game cut scenes and most of the on foot blow, but some of the later stages, particularly Helen's, are awesome. I also thought the pre-rendered FMVs were on point. Bosses ran the gamut, but I thought at least several of them were pretty sweet, my favorite being the spider. As for controls, I skipped the pointer and went for the Gamecube controller. The analog gate feels much better than the more pronounced notches on the nun-chuck as well. More recently I got a cheap PS2 to Gamecube/Wii controller for its circular gate.
The bosses are totally fine, i agree with you on that.

Seen the 8 clean scans.

The 8th one shows this awesome art of Rodea taking on what looks like the Iron Giant mixed with the Ifrit from Secret Rings.

The 7th page shows some more shots but also shows Rodea fighting what might be a different enemy. Looks really good.

1-D_FTW

Dascu said:

That's the art style I immediately thought of. Have only managed to find one bad scan of two pages, but was mildly impressed by it. Certainly find in more appealing than what I know of Kid Icarus at this stage. KI is more technically impressive, it just leaves me cold.

I just realized. Both Let's Tap and Ivy ran in 60 frames right? Plus didn't most of the Sonic games Naka worked on also run in 60 frames since SA2?

Thus Rodea should be the same, which could explain the not so technically impressive graphics. A fine trade-off in my opinion. :)

.la1n

Yuji_Naka_Sega_of_Japan.jpg

I BELIEVE IN YOU YUJI, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Empty

why are ign reporting this as a sonic game
New Sonic Game Announced

Nintendo's official UK magazine is reporting that Sonic the Hedgehog's creator Yuji Naka is hard at work putting together an all-new 3DS adventure for his Blue Blur.

Called "Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea" in Japanese, the title will apparently see Sonic soaring skyward -- flying through the clouds and shooting enemies there. Of course, Sonic's infamous land speed won't be ignored either, as the title will also feature gameplay segments with our favorite Hedgehog running along the ground.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/114/1144774p1.html

edit: i think they are just awful at reading.

Dascu

Hero of Legend said:
Seen the 8 clean scans.

The 8th one shows this awesome art of Rodea taking on what looks like the Iron Giant mixed with the Ifrit from Secret Rings.

The 7th page shows some more shots but also shows Rodea fighting what might be a different enemy. Looks really good.
The giant looks straight out of Shadow of the Colossus.

Top Bottom