• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuru Kill - the visual novel/shmup mashup you never knew you wanted

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
If you ever played a Zero Escape game and thought that the only thing it was missing was a vertical shmup section, do I ever have some good (and unexpected) news for you:

I hadn't heard a thing about this game, but a demo dropped on PSN this week. Looks to be a mashup of two fairly distinct and niche genres, and is bang up my street.

I have the demo queued and will post some impressions later on. If anybody else has tried it, would be great to know what you think of it.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
This game is 100% my kind of shit. I predict it will sell about 7 copies.

I picked the highest difficulty for the shmup section and thought it would be fine, but from the 2nd stage boss of the demo segment it wasn't fucking around. I had 2 lives left by the end of the third section and they're intersepersed with questions based on info from the the VN section. The penalty for messing up is 3 lives so I made one mistake (on a question that wasn't super obvious) and ended up failing it.

For a visual novel I have no idea how they managed such a poor framerate. The puzzles all seemed quite basic but this is the intro case.

Calling Danjin44 Danjin44 who is maybe the one other person who might care about this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very interesting premise, I’m definitely will try out the demo, but I’m not the most skill player when it comes to shmup shooter.

anthony2690

Banned
I discovered this whilst browsing the game collection preorders, pre-ordered this for a mate on ps5 as a birthday gift.

I find it interesting as Grev do the STG parts of the game & they made the absolutely incredible Strania on Xbox 360+the expansion is incredible too.

Edit:

This game is backwards compatible and if you're a fan off the genre, it is a must play imo!
Same with the Side Vower DLC, what is essentially an extra game.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I discovered this whilst browsing the game collection preorders, pre-ordered this for a mate on ps5 as a birthday gift.

I find it interesting as Grev do the STG parts of the game & they made the absolutely incredible Strania on Xbox 360+the expansion is incredible too.

Edit:

This game is backwards compatible and if you're a fan off the genre, it is a must play imo!
Same with the Side Vower DLC, what is essentially an extra game.

Straina is great. Omega 5 is also on 360. Aegis Wing. Bullet Soul. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst. Ikaruga. Radiant Silvergun. Triggerheart Excelica.

Get Disc Room off Gamepass immediately.

anthony2690

Banned
Straina is great. Omega 5 is also on 360. Aegis Wing. Bullet Soul. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst. Ikaruga. Radiant Silvergun. Triggerheart Excelica.

Get Disc Room off Gamepass immediately.
I have all them, don't forget the incredible guwange! An absolutely beautiful game by cave!

RAIDEN IV is also backwards compat and region free on Xbox one/series consoles. (So I finally played it for the first time with BC, it's an okay STG imo)

Is disc room an stg?

Last edited:

Rran

Got the demo ready on my Switch, so I'll give it a whirl for sure. I do enjoy VNs and shmups.

Amiga

I wish more games had 2D animations like this. Million times more attractive than majority of generic photo realistic 3D games.

Top Bottom