• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most talked about game on social media

Dmax3901

I really hope they push the NX version of this game hard once they've unveiled the console itself. There's no point concentrating all this social media hype at a dead console.

Smellycat

I really hope they push the NX version of this game hard once they've unveiled the console itself. There's no point concentrating all this social media hype at a dead console.

I feel like this is a given. There is no doubt that this game will be used to showcase the console once it is revealed. I really hope that the game looks even better on the NX, as the game looks great in the immediate surroundings, but areas further away suffer as a result until you get closer to them.

Dmax3901

I feel like this is a given. There is no doubt that this game will be used to showcase the console once it is revealed. I really hope that the game looks even better on the NX, as the game looks great in the immediate surroundings, but areas further away suffer as a result until you get closer to them.

Yeah, I don't think we should expect too huge of a graphical improvement however. I think no matter how powerful the NX is, Breath of the Wild has been developed on the Wii U for too long to fully take advantage of that.

Unless of course the delay out of 2016 was solely intended to spend time sprucing up the NX version.

I have a feeling those weapon menus were designed with some kind of scrollwheel in mind.
I doubt we see big graphical updates aside from shadow resolution and bigger draw distance.at full 1080p. Cloud saves would be nice for easy crossplay between the handheld and homeconsole.

Can't deny the WIIU is going out with a bang though, though all I think the nx will imrpove is LOD and frames.

Did anybody sense any noticeable drops during the stream?

doofy102

When throwing a torch at enemies goes horribly wrong:

s3HuOas.gif

I love how he gives the first Bokoblin a fire club, and then the other Bokoblin steps in and lights his own club on fire, haha

Stuff like this sells me on the game. Everything in it looks connected.

clem84

Gold Member
When you look at the footage, you really have to wonder how they will up the ante, or push the franchise even further for the next game. I know this expression has been used too many times before, but the game really does feel like a living, breathing world.

I guess they could just increase the number of moving objects on screen to make it more impressive, like small animals, random leaves falling, dust clouds. Imagine what they could do with a console the power of X1 or PS4.

Toparaman

Banned
In this day and age of bots, I pretty much don't give a shit about these things.

Resident Evil is pretty much the PT experiment of this year and should be getting way more social media hits than that graph indicates.

From what I've heard, it's not "the PT experiment of this year"; it's just a clone of PT. PT was novel. Also it had a triple-hitter surprise at the end: new Silent Hill, with Kojima, and with Del Toro. Pretty much a dream project for many gamers and horror fans.

Gutss

Im happy that for the longest time, gamers favors genius gameplay over graphics again. well thats a good start. and it looks like my prediction for this game will indeed be true, a Masterpiece in the making it is( too bad it cant save the wiiu ).

That gamexplain insane line video for the zelda demo saids it all.

The game's just absolutely mesmerizing. I love it.
Having thought over it, I think it was clever of Nintendo to not reveal much of anything outside plateau gameplay. Look at how well screwing around the introductory level worked to dazzle people--we still know next to nothing about the rest. It's gonna be a wild ride.

Dmax3901

Game of E3 easily. Killer app for NX for some...but I know Nintendo probably has another game ready for Nx's launch date.

The thought of the NX being a decently powerful console with BotW as a launch title is so exciting. The idea of there being other huge games on release as well? Metroid, or whatever Retro are working on? Omg...

When you look at the footage, you really have to wonder how they will up the ante, or push the franchise even further for the next game. I know this expression has been used too many times before, but the game really does feel like a living, breathing world.

I guess they could just increase the number of moving objects on screen to make it more impressive, like small animals, random leaves falling, dust clouds. Imagine what they could do with a console the power of X1 or PS4.

Actually this is one of the rare times I've looked at a Nintendo games and thought there is heaps they could do to 'up the ante'. There are just so many ways to add onto and expand things they have already done. Not to mention improving the graphics and draw distance etc.

That's one of the reasons I find this game so exciting. I can't wait to play it but I'm also excited for what it means in terms of future releases. It also shows a new side of Nintendo and along with splatoon and SMM it feels like Nintendo might finally be moving forward.

Can't wait for this and the NX.

gamerMan

That's one of the reasons I find this game so exciting. I can't wait to play it but I'm also excited for what it means in terms of future releases. It also shows a new side of Nintendo and along with splatoon and SMM it feels like Nintendo might finally be moving forward.

Can't wait for this and the NX.

I read on Wired that Nintendo hired a young group of people to go play and dissect AAA titles to see what new experiences Nintendo can create. I think after Splatoon's success Nintendo wants to create different types of games. Both Zelda and Splatoon have benefited because of this. It's an exciting time to be a Nintendo fan as the greatest developer in the history of video games has finally awoken from its sleep.

My pipe dream is BotW + Super Mario NX launch.

Never happening of course since they'd probably want to space new releases out, but damn it A MAN CAN DREAM.

GCX

My pipe dream is BotW + Super Mario NX launch.

Never happening of course since they'd probably want to space new releases out, but damn it A MAN CAN DREAM.
I'd imagine EAD Tokyo will have a game ready pretty close to launch considering it's been almost 3 years since their last big release (3D World).

Mory Dunz

I'd imagine EAD Tokyo will have a game ready pretty close to launch considering it's been almost 3 years since their last big release (3D World).

Do we know Zelda is Q1 2017?

Heck, Mario could be the launch game and Zelda could slip into late 2017....eff, hope not.

This really might have been the rush of life Nintendo needed, to think this E3 worked for them, it's astounding but great

depends on what you meaned by "worked".

I've enjoyed it, but I had 0 expectations. I guess it's a good thing they put out that presser. In a way

I already posted this earlier but I do think the topic of Zelda's handling of weapon durability at least deserves some discussion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234624

In quotes here too

I like weapon variety. I like having to experiment with Claymores and Hammers and the quickness of gauntlets and dual knifes. Often times, the trade off for this kind of variety in a game is a durability system.

In games like Fire Emblem,and The Last of Us, it's about resource conservation; melee weapons will break after few hits and with the limited resources in these games you must make the tradeoff between saving those precious uses or using it in a pinch. The problem with these kinds of implementations is that it never really feels good to have something break from usage. People were also prone to saving all their best items and weapons until the end like healing items in a JRPG. The newest Fire Emblem scrapped this entirely, adding stat tradeoffs instead and limiting the amount of weapons you could buy by increasing the price many times over. And while some may not agree with this change, many will tell you that the combat feels more strategical and satisfactory for it, choosing the best tool for the situation being far more important than saving all your best sacred uses and having it devolve to "should I use this OP super weapon or not?".

Monster Hunter and Dark Souls, two different games that are both highly praised for their combat systems in their own right, use a slightly different durability mechanic, but not one that is all too satisfying either. While weapons are not lost by losing durability, this stat ties directly into the amount of damage that you inflict, and the areas you can damage. Certain degrees of sharpness in MH are required to damage the more tougher areas of a Monster. One of the various problems with this sort of implementation is that while not incredibly important to your overall combat flow and strategy, it still serves as a minor annoyance all throughout the game. In Dark Souls, how often are you actually worried about if your weapon is at 198 instead of 200 durability? However, how much time will you spend resting at every bonfire and quickly repairing every armor piece and weapon that has barely lost durability like you're trying to level up forging in Skyrim? It not only is it a non-integral part of how you formulate an attack plan, it wastes valuable time and having them at perfect condition at all time is the only best possible solution forcing the player to waste valuable time and attention. If I may add a very small comment on this, is that Monster Hunter while not perfect with this is at least minimally understandable due to the rotations of the players in formation while playing in a well communicating multiplayer group, however it can be just as annoying)

This brings me to Zelda: Too Many Threads BotW. Zelda has had weapon durability in it before. The Razor sword of MM, the Giant Knife of OoT are all examples that followed the first examples of breaking after usage. Again, this is a imperfect method for the reasons stated above. When BotW was shown and revealed to have weapon durability, I was happy that variety was present but concerned that the developers still needed to tie this in with a durability system in order to make collecting them and gathering more prevalent. However, certain mechanics caught my attention.

In BotW, not only does the breaking strike of a weapon deal critical damage but one may throw the weapon, breaking it intentionally for the crit dmg and additional range and area of effect. Not only does this provide a outlet for satisfaction and not make you feel as if you "lost" that resource but that decided on a tradeoff for increased damage. Throwing the weapon also provides players agency for controlling when to break your weapon, instead of merely decaying over time, adding an additional layer of actual choice in attack planning and gameflow. Durability isn't merely an annoyance of a formality for variety no longer and this feature specifically really excited me. Even in exploration, you can choose to sacrifice shield durability for extra mobility with shieldsurfing allowing for more variations.

TLDR: While loving the games with weapon variety, I felt these games were shackled to a system of weapon durability. Of the many things I could praise all these games for their amazing combat systems, Zelda seems to have found a solution that I find acceptable in terms of this balance and with it added an extra layer of strategy on a traditionally unchanged mechanic, something that I've been longing for some of my more combat-intensive games, and of all the cool things Zelda has to offer, this stood out as something that may go unnoticed but truly clever.

If I could be provided with a gif of Zelda weapon throwing it would be greatly appreciated.

Neiteio

Neiteio, I look forward to your comprehensive boot guide once the game comes out. Hopefully, Lucina amiibos will provide hers, but that may be asking too much.
Lucina boots make everything better!

So there's also lightning bolts to worry about. Wonder if theres a way to manipulate them to purposely hit your enemies.

Yeah, Aonuma specifically said during lightning storms holding metal objects on high open places can increase your chances of getting struck. And that you could either use the rune or throw metal at enemies (and trick them into picking them up) to get them struck too

I haven't seen any videos of it, but I've heard that lightning will hit metallic objects, so you should be able to create scenarios to hit enemies with lightning.

I saw something about metal weapons attracting lightning, so you can throw your weapons at enemies to try and get the lightning to strike them instead. I assume this means you'll get some sort of warning as lightning approaches so you aren't just throwing all your weapons at them hoping something happens but we'll see.

There are! Throw a metal Weapon at your enemies, and they'll pick it up and be struck by lightning!
This is awesome. It'd also be cool if you could use Magnesis to throw a girder (the ones you dredge up from the lake) at your enemies during a storm, and then the lightning from the storm strikes it right as it rolls over them. >:)

I read on Wired that Nintendo hired a young group of people to go play and dissect AAA titles to see what new experiences Nintendo can create. I think after Splatoon's success Nintendo wants to create different types of games. Both Zelda and Splatoon have benefited because of this. It's an exciting time to be a Nintendo fan as the greatest developer in the history of video games has finally awoken from its sleep.

Link to Wired article?

GenG3000

Maybe I'm alone on this, but can we chill down on commenting too much about Zelda's new mechanics and posting gifs on the open? I want to read what the reception of the game was about without having to know about everything else, since I want to keep those discoveries for the game itself.

Please use the spoiler function.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but can we chill down on commenting too much about Zelda's new mechanics and posting gifs on the open? I want to read what the reception of the game was about without having to know about everything else, since I want to keep those discoveries for the game itself.

Dude you mighy have to get offline. These gifs and screens and everything else will be used in full discussion until the game releases.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

That is quite an unreasonable demand from you.

KevinCow

Banned
Why is it that every time there's a "Nintendo did something good!" thread, there are immediately multiple, "Yeah, but it doesn't count because..." replies on the first page alone?

What is it about Nintendo that makes some people get upset and go into denial mode whenever they succeed at something?

Gsnap

This is awesome. It'd also be cool if you could use Magnesis to throw a girder (the ones you dredge up from the lake) at your enemies during a storm, and then the lightning from the storm strikes it right as it rolls over them. >:)

Well that's the best thing about the game to me. Almost every natural element of the world, and every object that isn't nailed down (and even many that are), is a real tool for the player to use – to have real control over. Sometimes it'll be physics based, creating that crazy open world destruction and mayhem we're all used to. But so far, everything is also discrete and unique, just like the tools in Link's toolbelt. Every body of water is a tool. Every patch of grass. Every rock and tree. Every piece of metal. Even time and energy. Each one of them has a specific function just like the hookshot had its specific function. Just like the spinner had its functions. Just like the Paraglider has its specific function. That's real open world gameplay to me. The entire world is a functional zelda item, and link is given all the tools he needs to use this item just as he would use any other classic zelda item. And then you add the numerous traversal options, the interesting enemy interactions, and everything else, and we're free to explore the possibilities. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that we're also going to get a significant amount of classic level design to take advantage of all these tools in more structured ways, giving us the best of both worlds.

It's amazing, and it really does make me feel like most open world games are not taking advantage of the possibilities.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
When throwing a torch at enemies goes horribly wrong:

s3HuOas.gif

I love how he gives the first Bokoblin a fire club, and then the other Bokoblin steps in and lights his own club on fire, haha

That is both adorable and menacing. This is the type of gif that'll sell copies.

Neiteio

Well that's the best thing about the game to me. Almost every natural element of the world, and every object that isn't nailed down (and even many that are), is a real tool for the player to use – to have real control over. Sometimes it'll be physics based, creating that crazy open world destruction and mayhem we're all used to. But so far, everything is also discrete and unique, just like the tools in Link's toolbelt. Every body of water is a tool. Every patch of grass. Every rock and tree. Every piece of metal. Even time and energy. Each one of them has a specific function just like the hookshot had its specific function. Just like the spinner had its functions. Just like the Paraglider has its specific function. That's real open world gameplay to me. The entire world is a functional zelda item, and link is given all the tools he needs to use this item just as he would use any other classic zelda item. And then you add the numerous traversal options, the interesting enemy interactions, and everything else, and we're free to explore the possibilities. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that we're also going to get a significant amount of classic level design to take advantage of all these tools in more structured ways, giving us the best of both worlds.

It's amazing, and it really does make me feel like most open world games are not taking advantage of the possibilities.
Well-said. Everything is interactive, and it's not just for shits and giggles — there are real practical uses for every element of the environment, just ready to be manipulated by the player and their toolkit.

zoukka

Why is it that every time there's a "Nintendo did something good!" thread, there are immediately multiple, "Yeah, but it doesn't count because..." replies on the first page alone?

What is it about Nintendo that makes some people get upset and go into denial mode whenever they succeed at something?

Some people can't stand the idea of weaker hardware allowing devs to create something new and exciting. Their brains just can't process the mere suggestion that most gameplay innovation happens outside of hardware progression.

takriel

It's like we're enjoying all these mature realistic games and then Nintendo suddenly calls out to us in a soft voice: "Pssh, that's not what gaming is all about. And you know it. Here, let me show you what you really wanted all along..."

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

That's not how things work.

Mortemis

Banned
Well deserved, this game is so damn incredible. It's been a while since one game has consumed me well before it even came out. I'm out here eating anything I can find about this, any stream, info, interview, anything.

It's really blown me away, and I'm glad so many others feel the same way.

Top Bottom