• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most talked about game on social media

Nibel

Maybe I'm alone on this, but can we chill down on commenting too much about Zelda's new mechanics and posting gifs on the open? I want to read what the reception of the game was about without having to know about everything else, since I want to keep those discoveries for the game itself.

Please use the spoiler function.

Well you know this won't happen.

Besides, they removed too spoilerish stuff (there is nothing from the story in the E3 demo, or NPCs apart from the old man or any villages) and everything they've shown so far is just in one area of a huge-ass game.

Alienous

I am concerned slightly about the AI.

Outside of cool systemic stuff involving the weapons it seems like a step down from Skyward Sword in terms of difficulty facing enemies. In that game I guess the controls made it more artificially difficult, but more difficult nonetheless. In this I've seen the standard enemies of the region get wrecked by 3-heart Wolf Link as if they are keese. The enemies just don't seem all that aggressive, or smart, in how they attack you.

Ck1

Banned
I'm just excited to see if Zelda is a glimpse of what Nintendo will do with even more powerful hardware! The level of interaction with Ai and physics in this game are blowing people's minds because this is all the stuff you can do because you're simply trying it out. Not because it's some scripted event that happens the same way everytime... So far every new generation in gaming, the promise of next-generation Ai and physics have been promised only for us to get more of the same and QTE's galore to hide the game play ideas. The sheer amount of hours and replay value that this game will generate on YouTube is going to be absolutely insane!

Honestly, Zelda is, for me, a serious contestant for best game of show. I'd say that it could be a close call between Zelda and Horizon, as both feel and look amazing.

The inner child is placing Zelda a tad higher though, just for the fact that it really drew out my inner child again, which despite liking them all, the last ones didn't really do.

Where is the ice for this burn
No ice needed, we're all ignoring the burn due to the awesome of the new Zelda.

I was very fortunate to get hands on with the game twice today. I was one of few/many who rushed towards the booth right when they let us on the show floor at 10am. I got to play around 1pm. The three hour wait was so, SO worth it. This Zelda encompasses what I love most about video games as a whole. The vast majority of my enjoyment comes from how immersive it is. Everything flows together perfectly. The world mechanics, such as fire, make perfect sense in the context of what you as a player can do with it at your disposal. Being able to move where you want and how you want is wonderful. I love shield surfing so much that I'd use it for any opportunity I could find. I adore how it looks graphically too, it's quite beautiful.

Before they closed the show floor today , I noticed some people waiting in line to play at around 515pm. These were the remaining few who were trying to get in before they kicked everyone out at 6pm. I figured I'd sit there with them and try to play again. Sure enough, I was able to and left E3 today with such a happy face. I'm already thinking this will be my favorite Zelda of all time. This was one of the best E3 demos I've ever played.

I was very fortunate to get hands on with the game twice today. I was one of few/many who rushed towards the booth right when they let us on the show floor at 10am. I got to play around 1pm. The three hour wait was so, SO worth it. This Zelda encompasses what I love most about video games as a whole. The vast majority of my enjoyment comes from how immersive it is. Everything flows together perfectly. The world mechanics, such as fire, make perfect sense in the context of what you as a player can do with it at your disposal. Being able to move where you want and how you want is wonderful. I love shield surfing so much that I'd use it for any opportunity I could find. I adore how it looks graphically too, it's quite beautiful.

Before they closed the show floor today , I noticed some people waiting in line to play at around 515pm. These were the remaining few who were trying to get in before they kicked everyone out at 6pm. I figured I'd sit there with them and try to play again. Sure enough, I was able to and left E3 today with such a happy face. I'm already thinking this will be my favorite Zelda of all time. This was one of the best E3 demos I've ever played.

God I'm so jealous

DrWong

Goog for you :]
Will test it next week in Paris. Can't wait.

Ryoku

I am concerned slightly about the AI.

Outside of cool systemic stuff involving the weapons it seems like a step down from Skyward Sword in terms of difficulty facing enemies. In that game I guess the controls made it more artificially difficult, but more difficult nonetheless. In this I've seen the standard enemies of the region get wrecked by 3-heart Wolf Link as if they are keese. The enemies just don't seem all that aggressive, or smart, in how they attack you.

The bokoblins are the easier enemies you'll face (it is only the first area, after all). I heard it on the stream on the first day. There are also "red" and "blue" enemies where the blue ones are tougher.

Sami+

I think the game looks gorgeous, like the lovechild of Studio Ghibli and Team Ico. Yeah, it's strains the systems at points (i.e. some flat rock textures, etc), but the colors and lighting are so vibrant, and the little details are so nice that it just comes together so beautifully. Gorgeous, gorgeous game. With or without the lovely fields reminiscent of Flower. :)

Strongly, strongly disagree on any supposed Team ICO influence. The game looks way too big and gamey to be anything like a Team ICO game - too much text, too many menus, too many icons, too much everything. Team ICO's most defining philosophy in both their games is "design by subtraction" and this game doesn't even approach that.

If anything it's the lovechild of Ghibli and Skyrim, or even just Ghibli and Zelda.

Sorry, don't wanna jump on you or anything lol, but a huge part of my disappointment with this game is how not like an Ueda game it is.

Edit- oh wait you're banned how did that happen

GenG3000

Strongly, strongly disagree on any supposed Team ICO influence. The game looks way too big and gamey to be anything like a Team ICO game - too much text, too many menus, too many icons, too much everything. Team ICO's most defining philosophy in both their games is "design by subtraction" and this game doesn't even approach that.

If anything it's the lovechild of Ghibli and Skyrim, or even just Ghibli and Zelda.

Sorry, don't wanna jump on you or anything lol, but a huge part of my disappointment with this game is how not like an Ueda game it is.

The artstyle and some sections of the landscape remind me of SOTC, and even the lack of overworld music. I think he was talking about the game purely in artistic terms.

Zelda is going back to its classic RPG roots so it can't be played as a pure adventure/puzzle game with minimal UI and options.

Dang lucky. Did you notice if the game was choppy at all? What framerate do you think it's running at, or has this been answered?

Yeah, what a bizarre comparison.
The philosophy of Team ICO games is far away from this new Zelda and you only have to look at The Last Guardian to see some of that.

noshten

Nintendo knows that treehouse is a superweeapon. Nothing hypes gamers more than watching other gamers play it rather than some CEO introducing CGI.

Pretty much, especially when you have a game like Zelda or Splatoon or SMM on your hands. That's when Treehouse works best. This year beyond Pokemon, Nintendo would not have a major game and all focus is on NX. Zelda is Wii U's last hoorah and the only thing I'm hoping for is another major update to drop on Splatoon, SMM and MK8. I'm definetly getting Zelda on the Wii U. Personally I won't be buying NX till Spla2n is announced but will definetly double dip on Zelda since it looks like the type of game they might support post release(I'm hoping for a lot of thingsnew dungeon DLC or dungeon building mode which can be shared online and is on the flying castle). If Nintendo took insperation from Skyrim they should know the reason Skyrim was popular was the modding scene and with SMM it seems Nintendo should try to latch on user generated content as a method of expanding a game. A Dungeon Builder is something I'd pay money to have - that's the type of end game content I'm hoping for looking at the shrines that's what they should be aiming for. People using these mechanics and being provided a platform for users to generate shrines for other people with a rating system similar to SMM. Have this be a separate game hub in another flying castle area within Zelda. If they want people to get on the NX that's the type of experience the NX needs to deliver long term. The e3 coverage was extremely positive but I'm still underwhelmed it was a single game. Not to say that what was presented of Zelda doesn't mean it's an insta buy for me. I'm just talking specifically about the type of other features I'd like incorporate into games on the NX which the Wii U currently doesn't have enough power to support. I've spend countless hours playing Splatoon and still see many things wrong with that game and how it could be improved with a more Blizzard/Valve approach towards game community building.

Was supposed to be a shorter reply but it appears I got a bit further away from my initial reaction on the type of games that work with a Treehouse format. Games which you can spoil the story its a bit more difficult to demo. In Zelda the Plateau area appears to have been simply made for the reveal - it's a very good way to structure the game while allowing people to experience the FREEDOM so that way each player trying the demo and countless of content creators are able to capture different things that can be discussed/focused on and dissected for months building additional hype as little caveats are revealed by Nintendo. Its a very good way to market a game.

For me Zero Horizon and Zelda have been the stars of this E3. Both simply remind me of other games I've enjoyed while doing their own thing. It's funny to me that Sony and Nintendo appear to have a different spin on Princess Mononoke and I'm this hyped for both. Hyped enough to be buying two additional consoles next year if Nintendo are actually taking serious look into what actually made Skyrim a beast

Yeah, what a bizarre comparison.
The philosophy of Team ICO games is far away from this new Zelda and you only have to look at The Last Guardian to see some of that.

It's quite clear that Neiteio was referring to Team Ico's visual style. He wasn't talking about their gameplay philosophy at all with his comments.

Boogdud

"The game was mentioned over 75.000 times*, more than the up-comers Battlefield 1 and God of War"

They don't mention that 75% of the tweets were something like this:

kug3x.jpg

"The game was mentioned over 75.000 times*, more than the up-comers Battlefield 1 and God of War"

They don't mention that 75% of the tweets were something like this:

kug3x.jpg

Well first of all, I'd be interested in finding where you pulled that "75%" figure from. Your ass, most likely.

Second, you're operating on the premise that all God of War and Battlefield 1 mentions were positive.

Do we know Zelda is Q1 2017?

Heck, Mario could be the launch game and Zelda could slip into late 2017....eff, hope not.

I'd be very surprised.

They made sure to reconfirm the 2016 release earlier in the year (I think alongside the TP HD reveal?), and only delayed the game alongside the news that it now has an NX version and the NX is releasing Q1 2017.

Would be strange if it wasn't a launch title, especially with how much it'd help sell the system.

MacTag

Banned
It's quite clear that Neiteio was referring to Team Ico's visual style. He wasn't talking about their gameplay philosophy at all with his comments.
Even then I think a direct correlation or implied influence is stretching it some. BOTW seems to be very much following in the footsteps of TWW, TP and SS visually, adopting and fusing the best aspects of each. It doesn't look like a Team Ico game imo, it looks like a Zelda game. You can even trace elements to the N64 titles.

The Ghibli influence regarding the natural world is pretty obvious though and was even brought up during the stream with Aonuma, although Ghibli wasn't named specifically but rather animation as a whole. Still it's not hard to see Mononoke or Laputa in there. And maybe this is where people are getting the Team Ico influence, as their games were also heavily informed by Ghibli.

Eradicate

IgIwnZc.gif

I saw something about metal weapons attracting lightning, so you can throw your weapons at enemies to try and get the lightning to strike them instead. I assume this means you'll get some sort of warning as lightning approaches so you aren't just throwing all your weapons at them hoping something happens but we'll see.

Lightning too?! Geez...

And those line videos and descriptions are insane. Lots of buzz!

IgIwnZc.gif

Lightning too?! Geez...

And those line videos and descriptions are insane. Lots of buzz!

The GIF is brutal :)

I have a theory about metal weapon which I fail to find any confirmation. Now, let's assume there is an enemy wielding a metal weapon, can I use the magnetic rune to suck away its weapon? This is a new strategy to disarm the enemies and I really wish this theory can be actualize in the game.

jwj442

Well, it looks like Nintendo's E3 gambit of focusing on a single game (though it wasn't the ONLY game) paid off. I was pretty skeptical about it and it probably wasn't their ideal plan, but it worked. Whatever happened that delayed the NX, they managed to make the best of a tough situation. I haven't seen the buzz about Nintendo so positive in a long time.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Solidified my NX purchase. Thanks Nintendo, really can't wait to explore this world and immerse my self in its atmosphere.
I need it now.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Wow! The gifs above. I wish the demo I played at Nintendo New York explained some of those awesome new features! Anyway its not surprise that it won the social media conversation. Its an important Legacy game.

Even then, Team ICO games are a bit more muted in the colour palette compared to the more cartoony Zelda. Zelda's cell shading look doesn't mean Team ICO by default.

Even then, Team ICO games are a bit more muted in the colour palette compared to the more cartoony Zelda. Zelda's cell shading look doesn't mean Team ICO by default.

"Like the lovechild of Studio Ghibli and Team Ico".

As in, not entirely influenced by one thing.

MacTag brought up a good point earlier though, in that Team Ico has also been influenced by Ghibli.

"Like the lovechild of Studio Ghibli and Team Ico".

As in, not entirely influenced by one thing.

MacTang brought up a good point earlier though, in that Team Ico has also been influenced by Ghibli.

Where did anyone say entirely? The influence isn't notable enough to even include Team ICO. Reminds me of how people used to add Dark Souls as a buzzword for usually minor and inaccurate reasons to make the game sound more appealing when in reality the reasons for these standout games (like Dark Souls or Team ICO games) are hardly apparent.

Where did anyone say entirely? The influence isn't notable enough to even include Team ICO. Reminds me of how people used to add Dark Souls as a buzzword for usually minor and inaccurate reasons to make the game sound more appealing when in reality the reasons for these standout games (like Dark Souls or Team ICO games) are hardly apparent.

Well, for me personally, Ico's draw was exploring the ruins of a giant, desolate castle and uncovering its mysteries.

The appeal I found in Shadow of the Colossus was riding through a vast wilderness with Agro, utilizing my tools (including a bow and sword) to climb atop giant structures and learn of the dark secret in the land.

So yeah, I see some similarities. If you don't, that's cool.

Top Bottom