• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘That’s our word, and you can’t have it back’: Ice Cube confronts Bill Maher

Liamario

Banned
Omg please screw off with this. If you literally have no investment in what happens with the word 'nigger' then don't muddle the topic. Either you actually care much more than you care to admit or you don't care and have spent the last few pages frustrating people and waisting both of our times for no reason. If you have an opinion on it, make it clear why people should listen and take it to heart.
I care enough have an opinion on it. I'm pretty sure that's sufficient. I gave an honest opinion. Just because you didn't like it, it doesn't mean I'm not being honest. Take it or leave it. Focus on what I said, not who I am.

Lunar15

Imma say this

You can say whatever you want, but best be ready to handle consequences that come of it

This is basically how I feel about it. Even using it in private with "some friends" or whatever also has some pretty shitty consequences due to the meaning and history of the word.

Still a fan of the DONT method.

I care enough have an opinion on it. I'm pretty sure that's sufficient. I gave an honest opinion. Just because you didn't like it, it doesn't mean I'm not being honest. Take it or leave it. Focus on what I said, not who I am.

But what you said just raises questions about who you are, someone that cares so damn much about a word that once used in ignorance and hatred by racists, claimed by those that were enslaved and oppressed by those racists to take some power away.

You're showing who you are buy not expanding on what you said despite the overwhelming amount of people of color making their case throughout every topic in this saga. You say you care enough to have an opinion when truth is, it absolutely is not sufficient when talking about something that has and is connected to a vast and continuing history of hurt, segregation and literal destruction for a singular group of people.

Sunster

Where are those meme posts about people trying to figure out in what situations a white person is allowed to say Nigga?

Some of y'all reaching, hiding it behind "just an opinion" or "just asking questions" is a really shallow way of pretending you're adding to the narrative.

I looked for some just now but mostly saw racist memes by white people.

Imm0rt4l

He literally says that when his 'homie' says it, it doesn't feel bad, only when someone white says it.

As a black man, I hate that view point, because normalizing that nonsense only allows it to linger around, along with all the baggage it brings. I used to throw it around alot when I was younger. Getting older gave me more of an appreciation of what that word means and the history it brings with it.

It's a racial slur, no matter what color your skin is.
lolol

Enzom21

No, you made a shallow statement about something you don't actually care about.
Just be honest here, you don't care about the word's use, you have issue with black people claiming exclusive use.

No, it's not. I don't agree that homosexuals can call each other fags or what have you and then complain when other non-homosexual people use them. I'm not upset, I just find the idea of people wanting equality, while at the same time wanting special treatment, to be ludicrous.
If you don't like the word, you shouldn't be using it- you don't get to make special rules as to who can and can't use it.

Of course it would depend on who. But that's not my argument. It's the hypocrisy of it, which I've already explained.

I take exception to the double standard.
This is Liamario's real issue folks.

I don't understand wht you're trying to accomplish or why you keep shifting from trying to present as an authority to "just my opinion."

Let me ask you this: what, for you, is the best outcome of this thread? What is your stake in the discussion?

Nepenthe

If he's in here just to argue a different opinion, he's playing Devil's Advocate to invested black people as if this is a game, which is shitty.

However, if he sincerely believes in his opinion, then it suggests a personal investment in breaking down the social barrier to be allowed to say nigger without getting any blowback, which is low-key racist.

I'd stick to the former if I were in his shoes right now.

Liamario

Banned
No, you made a shallow statement about something you don't actually care about.
Just be honest here, you don't care about the word's use, you have issue with black people claiming exclusive use.

What?! You don't know the first thing about me. Was there any part of opinion that needs further clarification. Is my opinion unclear?
It's a horribly offensive word and thus nobody should be using it.
With regard to black people claiming exclusive use of it, I've already said that it's simply not going to happen. It's not a realistic goal. The fact that Donald Trump is the president of the USA is proof that racism and ignorance is alive and well in America (unfortunately).

Edit: pulling out statements I made 3 years ago. People can change their feelings on things. I've given you my opinion as it is as of 11/06/2017 *subject to change.

You're pathetic and childish.

televator

1515.gif

The words "teachable moment" coming from Ice Cube are intense. He layed it out well for Maher, hope he really does learn something.

The only thing Maher's stupid ass had to do was nod his head and thank Mr Cube for his perspective in helping him understand the gravity of the N word. Instead he resorted to defesiveness and essentially saying "Nah, I already heard that. Please don't humble me."

Nepenthe

We've already claimed exclusive use of it in that we're the most free to use it publicly without the typical social consequences of white people using it publicly, and no one else is gonna get in on the action until America repays its debts.

Enzom21

What?! You don't know the first thing about me. Was there any part of opinion that needs further clarification. Is my opinion unclear?
With regard to black people claiming exclusive use of it, I've already said that it's simply not going to happen. It's not a realistic goal. The fact that Donald Trump is the president of the USA is proof that racism and ignorance is alive and well in America (unfortunately).

No, it's not. I don't agree that homosexuals can call each other fags or what have you and then complain when other non-homosexual people use them. I'm not upset, I just find the idea of people wanting equality, while at the same time wanting special treatment, to be ludicrous.
If you don't like the word, you shouldn't be using it- you don't get to make special rules as to who can and can't use it.

Of course it would depend on who. But that's not my argument. It's the hypocrisy of it, which I've already explained.

I take exception to the double standard.
Your own posts paint a very different picture. Still not being honest.

kmax

I can't believe that we're still having this discussion in 2017. It's insane really.

It will never be accepted, no matter how much you bitch and whine. If you're not black, then the discussion is over. The answer is, and will always be:

No.

Severance

As right as Ice Cube is, I don't think selling the word back to impressionable teenagers on albums like it's okay is helping his cause. I'm all for taking it back, but that doesn't release you from responsible use of the word. I'm only a white dude from the suburbs, but I can tell you this. You better believe that white kids are using the 'n' word among themselves when no one's listening. I grew up around it and it always made me very uncomfortable. I spoke up a couple times, but I'm not Lil' Wayne, so no one listened to me. A few of these same kids grew up and used the word in a context that they thought was okay without ever realizing it is never okay. Ice Cube is right, this was a teachable moment, but it's the tip of the iceberg still. I think we all have a lot to learn.

All this is calculated so that Bill Maher can gain back some sympathy and people still keep watching him. It doesn't matter that his apologies are weak as hell, as long as he got a token black guy to clap back at him, then the issue is resolved and then we can all just drop it.

Enzom21

See my edited post. Please tell me what I'm not being honest about. You're coming across as a bully right now.

"It's been said in this thread multiple times. If you want people to stop using the word, you can't use it yourself. You're going to have to make a choice."
This is the same argument you made three years ago.
Your perceived hypocrisy of black people is still your main issue here.
Like I said, you're not being honest.

Spare me the victim act. How is quoting posts you actually made even remotely close to bullying?
I think name calling would be a little closer to bullying, no(not to mention being against the TOS here)?

is it okay for an Indian guy to say the n word since the British use to call them by that when they ruled India?

x9J2mAP.jpg

Tarydax

Banned
Because it's an open thread on a discussion forum. Would you just prefer an echo chamber?

And yet you've gone out of your way to avoid having a conversation.

Edit: pulling out statements I made 3 years ago. People can change their feelings on things. I've given you my opinion as it is as of 11/06/2017 *subject to change.

Just based on the old posts of yours that were quoted, it's obvious that your opinion hasn't changed at all. It's not Enzom21's fault that you haven't changed much as a person over the course of three years. Exactly what more does he need to know about you to come to that reasonable conclusion?

See my edited post. Please tell me what I'm not being honest about. You're coming across as a bully right now.

How are you being bullied? All he did was point out, correctly, that you made the same kinds of posts before, just about a different word, and that you haven't changed your views. Play the victim as much as you want, but pointing out facts isn't bullying.

Liamario

Banned
"It's been said in this thread multiple times. If you want people to stop using the word, you can't use it yourself. You're going to have to make a choice."
This is the same argument you made three years ago.
Your perceived hypocrisy of black people is still your main issue here.
Like I said, you're not being honest.

Spare me the victim act. How is quoting posts you actually made even remotely close to bullying?
I think name calling would be a little closer to bullying, no(not to mention being against the TOS here)?

Name calling? That's a stretch.
Ignored.

As an afrolatino african american black man, growing up I definitely had non-african friends whod use the nword nonchalently around me and each other. And my thoughts on that are Maher can fuck off, Killer Mikes a bitch and I no longer conversate with those people. Also this thread sucks. Neogaf still has a long way to go. Back to thecoli

Liamario

Banned
Just based on the old posts of yours that were quoted, it's obvious that your opinion hasn't changed at all. It's not Enzom21's fault that you haven't changed much as a person over the course of three years. Exactly what more does he need to know about you to come to that reasonable conclusion?

Because opinions made in 2014 and opinions made in 2017 weren't formed by the same reasoning.

As an afrolatino african american black man, growing up I definitely had non-african friends whod use the nword nonchalently around me and each other. And my thoughts on that are Maher can fuck off, Killer Mikes a bitch and I no longer conversate with those people. Also this thread sucks. Neogaf still has a long way to go. Back to thecoli
What Killer Mike do?

LionPride

Banned
Lol what

Only good for JBO, Coliseum, and...I gurss TSC

ResoRai

Jesus Christ. I know I shouldn't have looked at the comments, but it's absolutely embarrassing that people are sharing the sentiment that black people need to "get over" slavery, as if it isn't a HUGE ugly mark in human history, while acting like oppression and discrimination didn't exist and isn't still relevant today.

wildfire

Banned
All this is calculated so that Bill Maher can gain back some sympathy and people still keep watching him. It doesn't matter that his apologies are weak as hell, as long as he got a token black guy to clap back at him, then the issue is resolved and then we can all just drop it.

Token? Half the guests were black.

And this isn't the first time for Real Time.

The only dense motherfucker in this thread being pathetic and childish is the dense motherfucker im responding to now......

25 years ago when saying that shit was fine and acceptable, what does that have to do with 2017

The songs are still being circulated regularly. He just released a 25th anniversary edition. Unless I'm wrong, he was never apologetic about it. Sorry, it's just hard to take Ice Cube of all people seriously when he's made asinine comments himself.

L Thammy

*Person says racist thing, golf claps from the audience*
"Hey, do you think he's a racist?"
*Record scratch, cigarettes fall from trembling lips and can be heard hitting the floor*

is it okay for an Indian guy to say the n word since the British use to call them by that when they ruled India?

I don't know where you've been since 1947, but we have our own word now. The standard slur for Indian people, as far as I've seen, is "paki". Which we don't use the same way, again as far as I know, because it is barely even a reference to us. It's lumping us together with other south asians.

I'm not gonna condone Maher or anything - it was a needless and insensitive remark - but in a broader, linguistic way, I'm very skeptical of this "that's our word and you can't have it" mentality. Language doesn't willfully align with people's desires. There are very likely words in English that were borrowed from other cultures, words that those people didn't want other people to have, words that had harsh meanings that were eventually altered or neutered as they passed through time and among cultures. Languages evolves and shifts hands, whether we want it to or not.

I mean, no one bats an eye at phrases like "that was a total cakewalk", even though the "cake walk" is steeped in racist history. People divorced the phrase from its origins and converted it into something more broadly usable. Is that right or wrong? It's an interesting question, but it is nonetheless what happened. Pragmatically, that's just how some words survive.

The n-word isn't a special case. It's a word with a lousy history that could be repurposed as people deem fit. Black people claiming it as "our word" is, in itself, a repurposing effort. And there's really nothing wrong with re-appropriating and redefining troubled words. But I feel like maintaining this harsh line in the sand regarding the word only makes the conflict in the word more salient.

And in another way, this isn't really about the n-word, as much as it is the fact that American society hasn't sufficiently divorced itself from the pain captured by the word. I feel like that's the part white people often don't understand - for them, it's just "why do Black people want to feel included in society, and then exclude us from their language? That's not fair". But the ongoing prevalence of racism means that Black people can't get away from the negative connotations of the n-word. It hasn't become like words like cakewalk or loophole - sanitized of its past, converted to harmless metaphor.

In that sense, I think all of this "These people can say it, these people can't" is just a band-aid over a wound. We need to deal with the societal racism that makes people want to cling to the word's potency. That's the message that people like Bill Maher need to hear - that there's a lot of pain in society still that you dredged up by using that word - not this tribalistic "this is our stuff and you can't have it" argument. That only galvanizes shitty conservative opinions that Black people are "snowflakes" who are easily "triggered", etc., etc. And that leads us into an unending cultural tug-o-war with no real goal.

Sorry, kind of rambling. tl;dr I don't know if it's productive to play the "this is ours, not yours" game because 1) language doesn't work that way and 2) it avoids the real issue underlying the word's continued ability to do harm.

Top Bottom