• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Full-on riot’ breaks out during Twitch influencer Kai Cenat’s PS5 giveaway in NYC’s Union Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelItUp

Wtf is going on in this thread now? Lmao.

Absolutely, but Houston is also a hell of a lot more diverse than most people realize.

The difference though is that getting diverse food in NYC doesn't require driving 40+ minutes. Houston is diverse, but that diversity is largely split up into specific areas.
As a born and raised Houstonian, it was diverse AF when I was a kid, and it STILL is. Multicultural hotpot through and through, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Also, correct, this city is gigantic (it sucks, especially for outsiders, but it's normal when you live here), you can find great diverse food all over, but there's definitely pockets here and there full of specific cultures that will have better choices. All depends on what you want.

And yet...

019.png

I agree with TX having shitty bagels, but NYC probably has shitty kolaches
We actually have a few shops run by NYC natives, so, you won't find a TON of them, but they exist. Also, I'm pretty sure majority of folks in NYC don't even know what kolaches are, lmao. When I found out a ton of areas in the US didn't know what kolaches were it blew me away. Kolaches were brought over to Texas by Czech settlers in the 1800s, god bless them, lmao.

Back to the topic, so did Kai Cenat get arrested or not? I'm seeing all kinds of different things.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
i Wonder if I grew up with influencers if I would be this obsessed and crazy? I’d like to think not…
I can't help but think that any mass gathering could go wrong now. People don't seem to expect consequences and need to be told what the line is, rather than having some innate understanding of how to behave, which seems to be based on what they think they are likely to get away with.

It's not necessarily an influencer / youth thing either, cast your mind back to full grown adults thinking they could storm the Capitol, photograph themselves trespassing in government offices and then go home with no consequences.

I'm not saying these are the same things at all. But I do think both events indicate an attitude to accountability and consequence that might be different to what you might expect.

[Sigma]

If you would have told me beforehand that Kai Cenat was doing a live giveaway like this, I would have told you that this was going to happen.

Last edited:

radewagon

I can't help but think that any mass gathering could go wrong now. People don't seem to expect consequences and need to be told what the line is, rather than having some innate understanding of how to behave, which seems to be based on what they think they are likely to get away with.

It's not necessarily an influencer / youth thing either, cast your mind back to full grown adults thinking they could storm the Capitol, photograph themselves trespassing in government offices and then go home with no consequences.

I'm not saying these are the same things at all. But I do think both events indicate an attitude to accountability and consequence that might be different to what you might expect.
stupid men in black GIF

sono

Gold Member
If you stood up in Union square and said I am giving away 300 bucks to anyone who wants it you can predict the results

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Someone played too much Yakuza lol

2 things, wow, that guy getting slammed into the back window of the taxi. Presumably he'll end up with a decent payday from this at least.

And, the top giveaways seemed to be PCs, not PS5s. That could mean anything but could mean you'd be given something worth thousands of dollars, that could draw a lot of people who aren't really interested in the prize itself, far more than a console I'd guess?

Also, slim chance of making it home without getting robbed if you had been given something.

Note to self: never go to anything like this.

Mokus

2 things, wow, that guy getting slammed into the back window of the taxi. Presumably he'll end up with a decent payday from this at least.

And, the top giveaways seemed to be PCs, not PS5s. That could mean anything but could mean you'd be given something worth thousands of dollars, that could draw a lot of people who aren't really interested in the prize itself, far more than a console I'd guess?

Also, slim chance of making it home without getting robbed if you had been given something.

Note to self: never go to anything like this.
You can see that the guy in red with the others around him were hitting the back window of the taxi and probably cracked it. That's why the police went after him in the first place.

Mokus

And showed him how to do it in the right way.
The cracked window by him and his pals didn't need much force to shatter. You can obviously see in the other footages where the mob is trying to break the windows on other vehicles by kicking it without the desired results. It's not easy. It was an unfortunate accident.

Anyway the car window shattered as it should by design unlike the typical glasses. It meant to reduce the injuries as much as possible in case of a car accident. From what I can see the guy doesn't have any deep wounds. In a couple of days he will be fine.

Urban

The people who went there and the minority who is representing himself like that doesn't see it as bad behavior. They are probably even proud of it. The majority of Kai's fans act and think like that and for them it was a success

I wouldn’t be that sad if New York, Chicago or Los Angeles got nuked off the map
I've got a good friend in NY, so I'd like him to get advanced notice so he could get out beforehand...
(and now that think about it, I haven't contacted him in a while...)

PS brand is too strong. Im telling you Jim Ryan can win election for President in US if he promises free PS for Americans.

Plus Jim looks almost same age as Biden, so its gonna be perfect.

RaduN

People have the right to peacefully assemble. As long as he didn't start the riot, they can only charge him with a misdemeanor, and even that would be a stretch.
A case can be made that he is the de-facto organiser. He would have needed a permit from the city hall, provide minimum safety and conditions.
Things could potentialy get hairy for this guy.

Lunarorbit

Wtf is going on in this thread now? Lmao.

As a born and raised Houstonian, it was diverse AF when I was a kid, and it STILL is. Multicultural hotpot through and through, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Also, correct, this city is gigantic (it sucks, especially for outsiders, but it's normal when you live here), you can find great diverse food all over, but there's definitely pockets here and there full of specific cultures that will have better choices. All depends on what you want.

We actually have a few shops run by NYC natives, so, you won't find a TON of them, but they exist. Also, I'm pretty sure majority of folks in NYC don't even know what kolaches are, lmao. When I found out a ton of areas in the US didn't know what kolaches were it blew me away. Kolaches were brought over to Texas by Czech settlers in the 1800s, god bless them, lmao.

Back to the topic, so did Kai Cenat get arrested or not? I'm seeing all kinds of different things.
People in Denver don't know what kolaches are. None of my Hispanic coworkers knew which was embarrassing.

Did that guy end up even giving out any ps5s:) Seems like the place was going off before the scheduled time to give them out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I waited in line overnight outside a Best Buy in NYC for an RTX 3000 series drop, by the morning the "line" had devolved into an angry mess outside the front door and obvious scalpers were showing up in cars and just waltzing to the front no fucks given. It got hairy for a bit and lots of shoving was done. I thankfully walked away with a 3080Ti but it was not something I would want to do again. These kinds of things always get nasty.

The Best Buy I went to people were in line working for the scalpers/miners. Come morning the scalpers were waiting in the parking lot as the people who waited in line collected their payment and handed over the GPU.

A couple guys were going down the line keeping a headcount as well as finding out what everyone was looking to get.

MiguelItUp

Having different restaurants doesn’t make the place multicultural, nor is having 10 different nationalities living in poor conditions as opposed to a single one.

Want “multicultural”? Go visit another country to get real different culture, not the American spin on it.
Correct, just stating one of the facts about Houston, TX. Who said anything about poor living conditions? I'm not understanding your angle or what you're trying to accomplish here. Wasn't trying to get involved in whatever "this" topic is, just more so chiming in on the city I grew up in. This thread has derailed enough. Of course, but not everyone has the option or that luxury to do so. Therefore it's genuinely neat to be able to experience love and passion from someone that wants to bring their cuisine, culture, etc. to the states and share it. It's admirable IMO. That's really it.

People in Denver don't know what kolaches are. None of my Hispanic coworkers knew which was embarrassing.

Did that guy end up even giving out any ps5s:) Seems like the place was going off before the scheduled time to give them out.
Haha, exactly! I found out almost 20 years ago and it broke me. I just figured everyone knew what they were.

I don't think he did, lmao. Too much chaos, and he burnt off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom