• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League’ Is Ending Its Weekly Updates

Topher

Gold Member
sad batman GIF

WoJ

The problem was that they started developing this game when GAAS was the next big thing. By the time it was officially unveiled, it was too late to backtrack.
Was GAAS ever really the next big thing or was it just greedy devs and publishers trying to find a cash cow thinking they could use previously built up goodwill to exploit consumers rather than truly to make a great game that iterated on their previous successes.

The thing with this game is that it was DOA from the moment it was unveiled. I get what you're saying that they couldn't backtrack. I seriously wonder what they truly thought the game would do internally. I know it had sales goals, but I wonder if the people who made the game actually thought they could reach them, or if they knew they were sending it to die day one.

I will miss how entertaining the meta commentary for this game was. Way, way, way, way more satisfying than the actual game itself.

Come on Rocksteady, you have atleast one more good dumpster fire decision left in this game for us to watch on and enjoy.

I believe in you.

Last edited:

Fake

Reminds me the dev interview where a woman is exalting Captain Boomerang showing his middle finger to the player.

Quite poetic aff.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Was GAAS ever really the next big thing or was it just greedy devs and publishers trying to find a cash cow thinking they could use previously built up goodwill to exploit consumers rather than truly to make a great game that iterated on their previous successes.

The thing with this game is that it was DOA from the moment it was unveiled. I get what you're saying that they couldn't backtrack. I seriously wonder what they truly thought the game would do internally. I know it had sales goals, but I wonder if the people who made the game actually thought they could reach them, or if they knew they were sending it to die day one.
I've come to believe that we live in a moment in time where group think's become so powerful a force that people've come believe that, once they've invested enough time/effort into something, that thing simply has to succeed, no matter the public response. failure is simply out of the question, or, as a wise man once said:
58080273-2e0e-4228-a4f0-be8b558f7221_text.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've come to believe that we live in a moment in time where group think's become so powerful a force that people've come believe that, once they've invested enough time/effort into something, that thing simply has to succeed, no matter the public response. failure is simply out of the question, or, as a wise man once said:
58080273-2e0e-4228-a4f0-be8b558f7221_text.gif
Good thing is it seems a lot media/creative kinds of products have straddled this path. And not too many other industries do.

All I know is in the companies I've worked at for 20+ years (all kind of similar in focus and industry, but sell different products) is that selling products using the traditional strategies of good price, product, no politics, no nonsense, no nickel and diming GAAS kind of strategy holds true. Just sell a product that does the job and doesn't ruffle feathers or promote it with potential stupidity. Well look at that? Record sales and profits and no twitter battles. Nothing stops a company selling orange juice or wallpaper from doing dumb shit, but notice nobody else does? And when someone gets out of line (like Procter and Gamble going rebel with the anti-dad TV ad), they get ship shaped back to normal fast as sales sunk complete with backlash. So they dont do shit like that again.

But in media/creative, it seems like even tried and true metrics like low and behold "Sales" isnt even enough to make them reconsider. Crazy. But that's how it is.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
Good thing is it seems a lot media/creative kinds of products have straddled this path. And not too many other industries do.

All I know is in the companies I've worked at for 20+ years (all kind of similar in focus and industry, but sell different products) is that selling products using the traditional strategies of good price, product, no politics, no nonsense, no nickel and diming GAAS kind of strategy holds true. Just sell a product that does the job and doesn't ruffle feathers or promote it with potential stupidity. Well look at that? Record sales and profits and no twitter battles. Nothing stops a company selling orange juice or wallpaper from doing dumb shit, but notice nobody does? And when someone gets out of line (like Procter and Gamble going rebel with the anti-dad TV ad), they get ship shaped back to normal fast as sales sunk complete with backlash. So they dont do shit like that again.

But in media/creative, it seems like even tried and true metrics like low and behold "Sales" isnt even enough to make them reconsider. Crazy. But that's how it is.
well said. &, yeah, such delusional thinking requires a certain amount of disconnect from fundamental, boring 'realities', which's likely why 'creatives' (man, do i despise that term) are most susceptible...

Bkdk

Banned
oh, that’s the most substantial update they just gave about no more updates. It’s a long painful suicide for this studio, lasted 4 months now, I’m sure rocksteady are hoping for the end to finally come. Just end it WB, it’s time to end the life support for this hospice patient.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
well said. &, yeah, such delusional thinking requires a certain amount of disconnect from fundamental, boring 'realities', which's likely why 'creatives' (man, do i despise that term) are most susceptible...
I've said this many times. I dont know if it's true, but just IMO. And that's when it comes to media/creative roles and content they do zero research or testing. Maybe some testing at the end when the product is already 90% done so makes no material difference, but in the initial brainstorming parts, they just go on gut feeling. Like a game maker simply makes a game based on his own dream and assumes if the studio lead who came up with the idea likes it then everyone else will and it'll be a giant seller.

A good example is the Gollum game. It got trashed in reviews and surely sold like crap. Even if it got good reviews no doubt it would still sell bad. Why? Name one person on Earth begging for a Gollum stealth game. Here's the answer: Zero.

I can see people maybe amped up on a new LOTR RPG or action game playing as Aragorn or Legolas kicking ass. But a game like Gollum was DOA from the start. But magically, someone had the idea to make it and it got funded.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
That Damian Wayne Batman sequel to Arkham though...

And A potential Arkham Beyond sequel.

Everything died for this piece of shit.
Damian Wayne game was developed by Warner Bros Montreal and it had nothing to do with Rocksteady's Suicide Squad. I'm also disappointed with Suicide Squad, but this game wasn't cancelled because of it. The game you should be upset at is Gotham Knights as this was WB Montreal's project that came after Damian Wayne game was cancelled

We talk a lot about the importance of game preservation on this forum. Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is not a game that needs to be preserved. Not even for one of the final appearances of Kevin Conroy as Batman. It's time to go full Doug Stamper mode and erase this game from existence, to protect the legacy from the (Bat)man. Conroy had so many better scripts to work with in the thirty years he voice Batman/Bruce Wayne in a number of projects. Let this one die. Close the servers, render the game unplayable, decanonize it, and allow it to slowly fade from the public consciousness. There is literally nothing in this game worth preserving. It's objectively a bad game, objectively a bad DC story, objectively an indelible stain on the Arkhamverse as a whole.

WBD, just stop pretending already. Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is not "a disappointment". It is the single largest failure from your gaming division. There is no saving it, nothing that can be done to magically turn the ship around and set the game on a trajectory towards even breaking even. Every day that you keep the servers online, every day you allow Rocksteady to continue working on blatantly unwanted content for your complete failure of a product, you are continuing to light money on fire that could better be spent on anything else. No one wants this product. No one will care when you put it out of everyone's misery. It's over. Shut it down. Wipe it from existence. Make this world a little better.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
Never forget and never forgive what they took from us. Imagine a single player Suicide Squad game in the line of Batman Arkham games.
I'm already displeased by how they absorbed Midway and it's properties while squandering their legacy. Funny how Midway turned out to be a better publisher/developer than WB in retrospect.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Being forced to make something your not passionate about must be terrible, because it shows. Not sure this is Rocksteady's fault here, just the publisher.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Being forced to make something your not passionate about must be terrible, because it shows. Not sure this is Rocksteady's fault here, just the publisher.

Rocksteady purposefully destroyed its legacy and the core members left the studio. They are a piece of shit that needs to go out of business. This is a lesson that can only be learned the hardest way.

Gambit2483

We told these mofos not to even launch it. They would have saved tens of millions just by dragging the piece of shit to the recycling bin a year ago.
They were facing the sunken cost fallacy. They knew it was shit but was hoping for a miracle where it somehow caught on and became a halfway decent success (or semi-success).

Good luck to them, they're going to need it.

semiconscious

Gold Member
I've said this many times. I dont know if it's true, but just IMO. And that's when it comes to media/creative roles and content they do zero research or testing. Maybe some testing at the end when the product is already 90% done so makes no material difference, but in the initial brainstorming parts, they just go on gut feeling. Like a game maker simply makes a game based on his own dream and assumes if the studio lead who came up with the idea likes it then everyone else will and it'll be a giant seller.

A good example is the Gollum game. It got trashed in reviews and surely sold like crap. Even if it got good reviews no doubt it would still sell bad. Why? Name one person on Earth begging for a Gollum stealth game. Here's the answer: Zero.

I can see people maybe amped up on a new LOTR RPG or action game playing as Aragorn or Legolas kicking ass. But a game like Gollum was DOA from the start. But magically, someone had the idea to make it and it got funded.
so dead on. 2 failed suicide squad movies (2106/2021), but the train just kept a-rollin'. gotta admit - your gollum mini-rant cracked me up. thanks for the laugh!...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
WB published this and has They/Them Mrs Freeze and GAAS elements......WB published MK1 and it has Tranny Cage and GAAS elements.

Not saying the devs themselves don't share some of the blame here, but it seems obvious that WB is at least directing these devs to push this bullshit on the players.

Shubh_C63

I will reserve the spot to post "its gone its doneLotR.gif" once they finally pulls the plug and put this thing on fire

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just discount the game massively, make it a SP only jam, and wrap it up.

The game at $20.00 is a fun romp through the campaign. The “service” part or end game, is where this game deserves a 1/10 lol. The campaign is a 7 or 8/10 depending on what you set your expectations to.

Ultimately it failed big time. Hope the next project is more akin to this studios strengths… granted it seems very infested with purple hair agenda employees now.

realcool

This is the outcome of misguided executive interference. Since the DCEU, Warner Bros. has earned a reputation for executive meddling. That it made its way to the games division is not surprising. In some ways, we were lucky to have the Arkham series.

T-0800

WB published this and has They/Them Mrs Freeze and GAAS elements......WB published MK1 and it has Tranny Cage and GAAS elements.

Not saying the devs themselves don't share some of the blame here, but it seems obvious that WB is at least directing these devs to push this bullshit on the players.
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Vitter.

We always knew that this was going to kill one of the best devs, in every instance, every bit of news, every trailer. Still sucks terribly.

Top Bottom