• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Crossing $1 Billion at Global Box Office

Where are all the people who said this wouldn’t happen?
Did those people forget that there are millions of Nintendo fans who eat up everything Miyamoto says? It’s not surprising this meh movie made so much money, it’s Nintendo and it’s animated, two popular combinations.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Insane sales.

Goes to show you how much power the franchise has over all others. The best selling video game movie franchises include Warcraft, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, RE, Sonic. Maybe I'm missing some big ones(?).

Mario will destroy all of them with ease. It's still making $2,000 sales per theatre per day (domestic) which is pretty good, so the sales will keep trucking for a while.

As LodrOcidax said, $1.5B seems doable. At this time, the movie's sales split is 50/50 domestic and international.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Did those people forget that there are millions of Nintendo fans who eat up everything Miyamoto says? It’s not surprising this meh movie made so much money, it’s Nintendo and it’s animated, two popular combinations.
I go to watch it everyday because Miyamoto-san told me. It's better every time. And when I come home I press leftleftrightirghtupdownrightup on my Switch to save the world.

Lasha

Went to a theater in southern Malaysia to see it again thinking the hall would be empty for my baby's first movie. Packed. Wild to see how much the movie resonates here.

Doom85

It’s definitely a mid movie in terms of writing and comedy (animation shines, but that’s typical for Illumination, barely any good writing ideas but the animators don’t slack off regardless), but it wouldn’t matter, Pitch Meeting nailed it perfectly:

Writer: So they go on Rainbow Road!
Producer: That’s from the game my brother and I used to punch each other over!
Writer: Oh, that’s exactly the reaction I’m looking for in every…single…scene.
Producer: What do you mean?
Writer: Remember Blue Shells?
Producer: I do.
Writer: So…..I just did my job.
Producer: Yay, I remembered the thing I remembered!

(later)

Writer: So what do you think of the movie?
Producer: Well, listen, I recognized a few of the things you mentioned.
Writer: Right.
Producer: And I feel a ton of people will recognize those things too.
Writer: Okay.
Producer: So…that’s really all the effort we need from you, this is going to make a ton of money.

It‘s a serviceable movie, but hardly worth rewatching. The Sonic films I’ll be more likely to revisit as Jim Carrey absolutely owns the role of Robotnik and Idris Elba had a great take on Knuckles (Sonic and Tails were good, but just basic heroes in comparison), and of course Detective Pikachu is great.

Just, for the love of god, do not give Legend of Zelda to Illumination. I imagine it’s unlikely since Illumination handling anything even slightly dark and serious would probably make their entire writing staff’s brains explode*, but still the possibility makes me shudder in fright.

*amusingly, the few times they allow dark humor is also the few times they’re legit funny. The family of robbers who show up for two minutes of The Minions movie are the one good joke in an otherwise bad movie. Secret Life of Pets 1 just had its two leads rip off Toy Story 1, but then you also have Kevin Hart play a psychotic bunny who wants to murder all of humanity and throws sticks of dynamite, now that’s actually amusing. Despicable Me 3 has its villain be a former child star who was fired the second he got his first pimple, like that’s legit funny. When Illumination actually does briefly get dark, weird, or mean-spirited, they get a rare good joke in, but then it’s back to farts, screaming, jokes about butts, and poor attempts at slapstick.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Shit take.
licensed-image

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Considering the trash you defend/promote, I don't think you know what is shit and what isn't.
Our viewpoints and politics aside. Look me in the eyes with a straight face and tell me that this movie deserves a 1 billion dollar box office.

Do it.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Our viewpoints and politics aside. Look me in the eyes with a straight face and tell me that this movie deserves a 1 billion dollar box office.

Do it.
A movie "Deserves" a large box office if it entertains the masses and this does. Does it teach or deeply move the soul? No but it is in fine company:

I can say that it "deserves" it more than Avatar 2 which is just Avatar 1 on Water.

More than most Transformers movies which are soulless action fests.( I'm gonna put Fast and Furious here too but I've never actually watched one) Also the Jurassic Parks which are just copies of one another.

Than the Hobbit which destroyed the spirit of the book so Peter Jackson could have a repeat LOTR wank fest.

Than the Phantom Menace with a lead kid who couldn't act, a boring story with ropey dialogue, a lead Jedi who kept getting his ass kicked and lest we forget: Jar Jar and all that cringe worthy Jar 🫙 humour.( and Attack of the Clones which doubles down on ropey dialogue and acting).

On the other hand, the Toy Stories, the Avengers, Spidermans, Inside Out ( and many other Pixar films), the Harry Potters "deserve" it more because of superior, more original stories and deeper characters. But none of those has to pay homage to a property with a very superficial story....and be a coherent story in its own right.

How's that for a relative "deserves "?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Sonic films I’ll be more likely to revisit as Jim Carrey absolutely owns the role of Robotnik and Idris Elba had a great take on Knuckles (Sonic and Tails were good, but just basic heroes in comparison), and of course Detective Pikachu is great.
Jim Carrey in Sonic absolutely nails the role of… Jim Carrey with a mustache. Sorry, I love the dude, but much like Tom Cruise, he’s pretty much the same character in every movie, at least in comedy.

Detective Pikachu is worth the watch only thanks to Pikachu himself. Everything else in the movie is plenty forgettable, and the “Pokémon in modern real life” thing doesn’t work that well.

Both these movies turned out decent by simply ignoring 90% of what the games are actually made of. The Mario movie is very different.

MayauMiao

Do it.

That's like saying take away fan service in Spider-Man No Way Home, and look us in the eye if the movie deserves $1.9 billion at the box office.

Doom85

Both these movies turned out decent by simply ignoring 90% of what the games are actually made of. The Mario movie is very different.

Okay, agree to disagree on everything else (well, save for saying everyone else in Detective Pikachu was fogettable, Justice Smith and especially Ken Watanabe do not deserve that disrespect), but this part? Maybe for later video games, but adapting basic platformer stories directly into even 90 minute movies would be impossible.

The Sonic movies chose to take elements from later platformers such as Sonic Adventures with the human presence as well as the comics (though the second film does take elements from Sonic 3) in order to work. A first movie following purely the first game would have been a mess.

Detective Pikachu is an adaptation of the game Detective Pikachu, so your argument doesn’t even work here.

The Mario movie technically deviates the most! The entire Donkey Kong Country cast is suddenly a major element despite never playing any significant role in any 2D or 3D Mario platformer (and you can’t say the original Donkey Kong game, as that is canonically Kranky Kong when he was younger, yet the film has the DKC Donkey Kong be the one with a bone to pick with Mario). Mario Kart is thrown in (hell, Smash Bros as well in the Mario vs. DK fight) despite having no presence in the platformers. The Brooklyn element makes it more closer to the original Mario movie, hell they even return to Brooklyn for the climax (though the original Mario movie finishes the fight in Mushroom Kingdom, hilarious that THAT film technically had the right location for the climax even if said location was completely different in appearance) not to mention having Peach not be native to the Mushroom Kingdom either (edit: actually, wait, I forgot the original film does have Peach be native to the Mushoom Kingdom, so the original film actually got that specific element right over the new film as well!)

The Sonic films felt like someone actually went through the games and comics to figure out how they could work as simple films. Detective Pikachu was someone adapting that specific game and doing a damn good job of it. The Mario movie is someone quickly throwing together elements of the games, regardless if they were ever really connected or simply a spin-off (and hey, if we’re just randomly grabbing spin-offs, why nothing from Paper Mario? The Mario sports games? Mario Party?), and also taking elements from the original film, because fuck it, as long as we fanservice the hell out of this film, people will gobble it up.

Sonic and especially Detective Pikachu had fanservice but also felt like some effort was put into the writing and could actually generate some laughs out of me. The Mario movie had exactly two elements that made me laugh: a moment with Luigi (which was already in the trailer so I laughed then, so no reaction in the theater) and the Lumalee yearning for death. The rest of the movie’s comedy was stale, not Despicable Me 3/Minions bad, but just nothing noteworthy.

Last edited:

Doom85

That's like saying take away fan service in Spider-Man No Way Home, and look us in the eye if the movie deserves $1.9 billion at the box office.

Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Green Goblin, and Electro were not fanservice in those films. The two Peters got more proper conclusions to their character arcs that the Sony films didn’t have due to the planned sequels for either series being canned. Green Goblin finally ditched the dumb helmet and properly showcases why Norman Osborne is THE proper main villain of Spider-man lore. Electro was a far better handling of the character compared to the ASM 2 version.

Dr. Octopus was fanservice as he merely repeats his character arc (albeit in a logical way), and Lizard and Sandman mainly just exist to provide enough antagonists to pose a threat. Take away those three, and most of the meat of the movie remains. No Way Home is not a film that relies primarily on fanservice assuming one has a reasonable definition of fanservice.

Bragr

Banned
The entire Donkey Kong Country cast is suddenly a major element despite never playing any significant role in any 2D or 3D Mario platformer (and you can’t say the original Donkey Kong game, as that is canonically Kranky Kong when he was younger, yet the film has the DKC Donkey Kong be the one with a bone to pick with Mario).
Dude, absolutely nobody cares about that Kranky Kong fact, not even Nintendo. For Nintendo, Donkey Kong was just as important as Mario early on, and Donkey Kong, even if it's not the biggest game franchise sales-wise, is a popular game icon that everybody knows about. It makes perfect sense that he would get such a big role.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Took my kids to watch it this weekend. Theater was still packed. The movie was very predictable and cliché, but my kids loved it.

Jesus , what is with all the negativity on this forum .. lighten up. You are obviously not gonna watch it .. just watch some other movie
We have the right to be critical so deal with it. And I did watch the movie it and it was an overall meh experience, though the kart scene was fire though.
I go to watch it everyday because Miyamoto-san told me. It's better every time. And when I come home I press leftleftrightirghtupdownrightup on my Switch to save the world.
You don't have a Nintendo Switch.
dkush40.jpg

sinnergy

So only the children can be critical right? Tams Tams get in here and give us your opinion.
I of course not .. but there is a difference if you are not the target audience… or do you let toddlers watch cabin in the woods ? Avengers ? And what not .. this is clearly an under 10 of age movie .

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Detective Pikachu is an adaptation of the game Detective Pikachu, so your argument doesn’t even work here.
It’s not. There are literally zero shared elements between the game and the movie, except the titular Pikachu and the protagonist having a detective for a dad.

RCU005

It’s clear that Nintendo has to make more movies. Even creating their own “Nintendo Studios”, but they should always stay in animation. I’m really afraid if they decided to go live action.

They should recruit different animation studios for different franchises. I’d love a Nintendo movie from Studio Ghibli, but which franchise?

I don’t know how they’ll manage the huge success they are having with the Mario movie, but Nintendo has become a movie production company too.

Lasha

The showing I attended had previews of some Disney movie which looks to be a remake of Zootopia with elements instead of Animals. Kinda confused with the criticism of Mario when Disney keeps trotting out rehashes and live action remakes.

The showing I attended had previews of some Disney movie which looks to be a remake of Zootopia with elements instead of Animals. Kinda confused with the criticism of Mario when Disney keeps trotting out rehashes and live action remakes.
I saw that trailer too. It looked awful with some truly heavy handed messaging.

AJUMP23

Took my kids to watch it this weekend. Theater was still packed. The movie was very predictable and cliché, but my kids loved it.
I don't know that you want a mario movie that is not what you expect. If you leave a Mario movie and leave with I didn't expect that, you probably end up with the original Mario movie.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Top Bottom