• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Crossing $1 Billion at Global Box Office

AmuroChan

I don't know that you want a mario movie that is not what you expect. If you leave a Mario movie and leave with I didn't expect that, you probably end up with the original Mario movie.

That's correct. I'm not the target demographic for the Mario movie. My kids loved it, and that's all really what matters. However, it doesn't change that fact that it's predictable and cliché.

My main problem with the Movie is that it's just too short. We should have seen more of the journey to DK Kingdom and there should've been development for the characters because it feels so rushed or certain characters get sidelined.

Scotty W

I'm gonna put Fast and Furious here too but I've never actually watched one
As someone who unwillingly watched the first few films and hated them, I watched one of the more recent ones on a boat trip a few years ago and actually enjoyed it. It was so cliched and over the top that it was impossible not to laugh.

Lasha

As someone who unwillingly watched the first few films and hated them, I watched one of the more recent ones on a boat trip a few years ago and actually enjoyed it. It was so cliched and over the top that it was impossible not to laugh.

Escalating from stealing DVD players to drifting a car into a satellite is why the series is great. The franchise has a solid cast with good chemistry and a willingness to embrace absurdity. I'm half convinced that the end of the series is going to be the prequel to the Riddick franchise now that the cast is in space. Riddick's race being Furyan has to be part of the most elaborate setup ever.

Scotty W

Escalating from stealing DVD players to drifting a car into a satellite is why the series is great. The franchise has a solid cast with good chemistry and a willingness to embrace absurdity. I'm half convinced that the end of the series is going to be the prequel to the Riddick franchise now that the cast is in space. Riddick's race being Furyan has to be part of the most elaborate setup ever.
That is the most amazingly terrible amazing idea ever.

Lasha

That is the most amazingly terrible amazing idea ever.

I want it done in a post credit scene.

Camera opens on a shot of vin diesel's great grandkid staring down paul walker's great grandkid from the window of his car. The camera pans out and the cars are actually some kind of rovers on a desert plain. Ludacris's descendant stands in front to start the race surrounded by beautiful women. As the cars tear off the camera pans to Tyrese(actual guy, his character can be a dune style ghoula because fuck it) fronting a million dollar smile as he watches the race progress towards a Furyian city.

Chronicle

....and it's awful. I took my daughters. It's definitely 2023 where anything that requires more than 30 seconds of attention span is disregarded for flash and chaos.

G-Bus

Banned
It’s clear that Nintendo has to make more movies. Even creating their own “Nintendo Studios”, but they should always stay in animation. I’m really afraid if they decided to go live action.

They should recruit different animation studios for different franchises. I’d love a Nintendo movie from Studio Ghibli, but which franchise?

I don’t know how they’ll manage the huge success they are having with the Mario movie, but Nintendo has become a movie production company too.

Zelda movie by Ghibli would be amazing.

Doom85

It's a hit and fuck all of the people that are still trying to convince themselves it isn't. You've lost this one.

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

The same animation studio gave us these obnoxious merchandise-pandering little shits who also make a ton of money, doesn’t mean I have to enjoy them.

Happy Cheer GIF by Minions

But I’m happy you had fun with it apparently, maybe just don’t get THAT frustrated when people think it was bad or even just okay.

Lasha

The same animation studio gave us these obnoxious merchandise-pandering little shits who also make a ton of money, doesn’t mean I have to enjoy them.

But I’m happy you had fun with it apparently, maybe just don’t get THAT frustrated when people think it was bad or even just okay.

I just copied the OP word for word from a post in TLOU viewer count thread to see who would be corrected faster. My money was on this post. GAF is like clockwork.

Doom85

I just copied the OP word for word from a post in TLOU viewer count thread to see who would be corrected faster. My money was on this post. GAF is like clockwork.

So you’re being disingenuous, and think that proves something?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Lasha

So you’re being disingenuous, and think that proves something?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Oh the sentiment of the post I agree with. Both TLOU and Mario are successful and to say otherwise is contrarian at this point. I'm laughing at how somebody showed up like clockwork, gifs and all, to correct the tone of this post first. I don't really need to prove the bias; look which forum the threads for this movie were modded to.

Doom85

Oh the sentiment of the post I agree with. Both TLOU and Mario are successful and to say otherwise is contrarian at this point. I'm laughing at how somebody showed up like clockwork, gifs and all, to correct the tone of this post first. I don't really need to prove the bias; look which forum the threads for this movie were modded to.

I mean, telling anyone “fuck you” here seems extreme, I frequently see people here act like every MCU film of the past two years is a box office dud, but there’s no need for me to go at them like that. Sorry if that’s a hot take.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

Lasha

I mean, telling anyone “fuck you” here seems extreme, I frequently see people here act like every MCU film of the past two years is a box office dud, but there’s no need for me to go at them like that. Sorry if that’s a hot take.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

I agree that it's a poor way to talk. I hope you and your gifs will be used to root out people who genuinely talk like this on GAF. We need more voices calling for civility.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Watched the movie yesterday with my wife. It was the film equivalent of caramel popcorn: Good tasting while you consume it, but utterly insubstantial and forgettable once it ends.

There was a kid in the audience who was completely into it, literally screaming into the screen, so that kinda tells you who it's really for.

BlackTron

Did those people forget that there are millions of Nintendo fans who eat up everything Miyamoto says? It’s not surprising this meh movie made so much money, it’s Nintendo and it’s animated, two popular combinations.

The number of people who are just straight Miyamoto zombies is not THAT high and not enough for this kind of performance. When he makes bad decisions there is a fan reaction, don't forget the last Star Fox.

Most people ACT like Miyamoto zombies because most of his projects are just that legitimately great, like this movie.

BlackTron

That's correct. I'm not the target demographic for the Mario movie. My kids loved it, and that's all really what matters. However, it doesn't change that fact that it's predictable and cliché.
It was less predictable and cliche than The Force Awakens, which literally copy and pasted an entire other movie to thunderous applause.

All this ever needed to be in order to be awesome was a CGI version of Super Mario Bros 3. It's not supposed to be Avatar, it's supposed to be *about Mario* which what it delivered as a game movie. It's more important for Mario to grab a powerup at the critical moment and escape a bad situation than to have a deep story because that's how the dynamic of drama works in the game. It's not *supposed* to work like a normal movie, it's supposed to connect with the game experiences. Even seeing Mario try over and over but getting a bit better in a level each time, is the "story".

I think people showed up to a movie named "Mario" ready to be served a movie about gaming and actually got THAT product instead of using Mario to try and make the best deepest film ever or something...which would be stupid. For example I think Puss in Boots 2 was exceptional but had they used those themes and structure in Mario movie it would be catastrophic. A big part of Mario's strength and appeal has always been simplicity. Thank god they used Mario to make Mario and not Titanic or something.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a good movie, but I have to admit, I'm a little surprised it crossed one billion. A lot of people check review scores before going to a theater to see a film, myself included. And they did not care for this one.

Obviously there will be a sequel. Nintendo and Illumination will be forced to do it.

Dural

Just read that this movie had a production budget of $100 million while Disney's animated movies always seem to be around $200 million, what the hell is Disney spending so much money on?

Doom85

Just read that this movie had a production budget of $100 million while Disney's animated movies always seem to be around $200 million, what the hell is Disney spending so much money on?

I mean, Illumination has great animation detail, but even it‘s not on Disney’s level. Like, the first teaser for Frozen 2 had people in the comments debating if the beach Elsa was at was just an actual real beach and the animators just inserted Elsa on to it, that’s how crazy detailed it looked.

I remember when Big Hero 6 released, it was mentioned the animation team utilized a cutting edge program that allowed far more animation of each background individual in massive crowd shots (useful for the film since it’s set in a city) and for 2014 it was pretty mind blowing to look at.

As for the rest of the budgetary differences, well Disney hires screenwriters normally while Illumination‘s hiring ad for screenwriters probably says, “looking for people who can churn out a script in a day, maybe two if we’re being generous. Must excel at fart jokes, tons of secondary plots that have no relevancy to the main plot, pop culture references and character stereotypes that were outdated a decade ago, and merchandise-pandering side characters who are generically juvenile and scream a lot. Also must be open to adapting Dr. Seuss books, and by “adapt”, we mean go to the cemetery where Dr. Suess is buried, give his tombstone the middle finger, and use that moment to inspire your “adaptation” of a beloved author’s work. Also, you are allowed one or two legit funny moments maximum per film that anyone above 7 would laugh at, but don’t push it.”

50 cent laughing GIF

Like I said in a previous thread, people who echo the sentiment you’ve quoted, won’t get why this is worrying until that same minions studio writing team touches Zelda or Metroid.

Doom85

Like I said in a previous thread, people who echo the sentiment you’ve quoted, won’t get why this is worrying until that same minions studio writing team touches Zelda or Metroid.

I’d like to think Illumination wouldn’t see Zelda and especially Metroid as something they want to touch, and even if they did-

Miyamoto: what?! No, you can’t make Ganon a goofball!
Illumination: Well, it seems we’re at an impasse.
Miyamoto: Tell you what, we’ll give you Kirby and take our darker franchises elsewhere.
Illumination: So I guess this means Fire Emblem is off the table, huh?

Now that I was thinking about, and it would likely never happen as they’re a smaller studio and probably aren’t interested in major franchise adaptations, but imagine a Legend of Zelda film from Studio Laika with the way they brilliantly handle dark elements in their films Coraline, Paranorman, and Kubo and the Two Strings yet still make them (generally) okay for kids to watch. I just gave my brain a mental orgasm just thinking about the possibility.

The Wire Reaction GIF

It would definitely be a different art style from general Zelda games, but the games are no strangers to experimenting with different art styles so it would fit. Again, very unlikely to happen, but damn could that be cool.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Speculation only but I'd guess celebrity salaries given CG animators tend to not make very much as they did before the Pixar acquisition. Licensing and distribution is another thing which eats into budget. Still not sure that justifies it...but it's Disney.

Dural

Speculation only but I'd guess celebrity salaries given CG animators tend to not make very much as they did before the Pixar acquisition. Licensing and distribution is another thing which eats into budget. Still not sure that justifies it...but it's Disney.

The thing is, Disney doesn't usually use big celebrities, it's Dreamworks and Illumination that do. Mario has Chris Pratt, one of the biggest movie stars there is, he can't be cheap.

I mean, Illumination has great animation detail, but even it‘s not on Disney’s level. Like, the first teaser for Frozen 2 had people in the comments debating if the beach Elsa was at was just an actual real beach and the animators just inserted Elsa on to it, that’s how crazy detailed it looked.

I remember when Big Hero 6 released, it was mentioned the animation team utilized a cutting edge program that allowed far more animation of each background individual in massive crowd shots (useful for the film since it’s set in a city) and for 2014 it was pretty mind blowing to look at.

As for the rest of the budgetary differences, well Disney hires screenwriters normally while Illumination‘s hiring ad for screenwriters probably says, “looking for people who can churn out a script in a day, maybe two if we’re being generous. Must excel at fart jokes, tons of secondary plots that have no relevancy to the main plot, pop culture references and character stereotypes that were outdated a decade ago, and merchandise-pandering side characters who are generically juvenile and scream a lot. Also must be open to adapting Dr. Seuss books, and by “adapt”, we mean go to the cemetery where Dr. Suess is buried, give his tombstone the middle finger, and use that moment to inspire your “adaptation” of a beloved author’s work. Also, you are allowed one or two legit funny moments maximum per film that anyone above 7 would laugh at, but don’t push it.”

50 cent laughing GIF

While Disney animation is second to none, I just don't see a huge difference here as Mario looked fantastic. Scripts really aren't that expensive and I'd imagine Disney has a whole bunch of writers on salary to help with rewrites. I guess maybe it just comes down to how many animators they employ compared to the other studios.

Sleepwalker

The number of people who are just straight Miyamoto zombies is not THAT high and not enough for this kind of performance. When he makes bad decisions there is a fan reaction, don't forget the last Star Fox.

Most people ACT like Miyamoto zombies because most of his projects are just that legitimately great, like this movie.
Yes this, the dude has legitimately way more hits than misses.

Zuo

I don't understand why the generic Kong with sunglasses got so much screen time instead of just giving us Funky Kong. This movie needed more characters and places from the actual games and less Captain Marvel Peach. The way it is, it's just decent

I'm not interested in the Super Mario Bros movie but congratulations to Nintendo. Between this movie and the new Zelda, they really deserve it for their quality games.

Top Bottom