• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Endgame” Surpasses “Avatar” At Box-Office

bitbydeath

Deserves it.

Honestly, I hated Avatar so pretty much any movie deserve it.

A huge congratulations to the Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Studios teams, and thank you to the fans around the world who lifted Avengers: Endgame to these historic heights. Of course, even with the passage of a decade, the impact of James Cameron’s Avatar remains as powerful as ever, and the astonishing achievements of both of these films are ongoing proof of the power of movies to move people and bring them together in a shared experience. The talented filmmakers behind these worlds have much more in store, and we look forward to the future of both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Pandora.

sol_bad

Hell to the yeah. Deserves it 200%. It hit the mile stone in record time too.

Far From Home will hit 1 billion shortly too. It will be the 9th MCU film to hit 1 billie.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Almost 3 billion fn dollars.. that’s insane considering Disney bought Marvel Entertainment for only 4.2 billion.

sol_bad

Watched avatar the other day and thought it was incredibly lame. Still scratch my head why so many people hyped it back when it released. It’s a pretty shitty movie.

Story line is average but it certainly is the most immersive theatre experience I have ever had. It was 3D done right because you really felt like you were in that world. Every 3D movie ever since has just been a cheap cash in.

Chiggs

Avatar was more impressive because of just far it blew the record out of the water. Avengers had to squeak by, despite having a wider release and then a re-release.

Avatar sequel dethrones this, IMO.

Yeah, I'm glad Avatar has been dethroned as well.

It held the record for almost a decade, that's pretty good, not too much shorter than the time Titanic held it.

giphy.gif

womfalcs3

Banned
Just you wait. The myriad of Avatar sequels are gonna bring it back to the top...

Don't think so. The movie business today is different than it was 10 years ago. Now, you have the massive proliferation of Disney (although Disney itself will release Avatar 2(?)). Movies will be lucky to get close to the record in the next 10 years. In time, of course, inflation will naturally give us the next record-holder.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
People seem to forget that Avatar was James Cameron’s return to cinema 10 years after Titanic. There was a lot of mystery surrounding Avatar. It was shot in 3D, it was 3 hours long, and it also reunited Cameron with S Weaver. On a technical level it was impressive. It even got me to the theater after a couple of months because I thought it would be my only time to see it in 3D and I had zero interest in the movie itself. So, yeah I can see how it make all that money.

But Cameron and fans are fuckin retarded if they think any of those sequels will break 1 bill worldwide.

Kadayi

Banned
Avatar was impressive at the time for the 3D but the story sucked serious donkey balls, and I think that Alfonso Cuarón demonstrated with Gravity that if you're going to do a 3D film then long sustained shots are the way to go versus any sort of fast editing, That shit is jarring in 3D.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Welp, I owe my colleague £5. Wouldn't have done it without the re-release but I guess Avatar did the same.

Also adjusted for inflation it's not even close worldwide, and hasn't even beaten it domestically.

Last edited:
>Avatar was only successful because of 3D
>In 2010, Avatar became the best selling Blu-ray of all time in four days and is currently number 2, trailing just behind Frozen while being light-years ahead of number 3

:pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

sol_bad

Welp, I owe my colleague £5. Wouldn't have done it without the re-release but I guess Avatar did the same.

Also adjusted for inflation it's not even close worldwide, and hasn't even beaten it domestically.

LMAO
Keep moving the goal posts.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not bad. Only took twenty three films, twelve years, a two-part multi-hundred million dollar blockbuster, and the backing of the largest media conglomerate on Earth to finally outdo James Cameron. Infinity War is by far the better film, but there's no denying that Marvel put in the legwork.

TTOOLL

never understood Avatar.

Titanic I get. Classic love story, Leo, boobs, it had it all.

Avatar ? I guess it was the 3D. Never saw it in the cinema. In 2D the movie is kinda boring.

Totally agree, Avatar had nothing but tech. Forgettable characters and story. I actually couldn't even finish the movie.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm glad to see Pocahontas in Space knocked down a peg. Endgame was pretty good, but all the running gag about America's ass made me uncomfortable after a while. What were they trying for there? Gay points?

Paltheos

Watched avatar the other day and thought it was incredibly lame. Still scratch my head why so many people hyped it back when it released. It’s a pretty shitty movie.

Largely? I might call it mediocre. I don't know exactly what to call it but def. somewhere on the wrong side of the scale.

Generic

Avatar was way better than Endgame. No plot-holes, no fan-service, no humor during serious scenes, no bizarre conveniences. A well made sci-fi movie.

But Cameron and fans are fuckin retarded if they think any of those sequels will break 1 bill worldwide.
China alone will give Avatar 2-5 massive loads of money.

Tesseract

Banned
bummer, avatar is a better movie and ushered a new era of techniques and technology

endgame is so very meh

also uh lol, i learned to never doubt cameron a long time ago, some of you might be eating crow in the future

Last edited:

V2Tommy

I still can't believe any movie outgrossed Titanic, period. Having lived through all of these films, nothing seems to be a bigger "motion picture" accomplishment than it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah two massively successful movies that both say utterly nothing while patting themselves on the back made a ton of money.

no wonder Trump is president. he is what we deserve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom