• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Extraction” - Netflix film, Chris Hemsworth, produced by Russo brothers

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I only ever buy federal and hollow points but isn’t there like special ammo you can put in almost any small arm that can do damage to body armor? I feel like I hear guys talking about it but I don’t actually know of any and there wasn’t any when I was in the army. But that was many moons ago lol.

Yeah, there are AP rounds in 9mm that can penetrate kevlar or some IIIA plates, but they're heavily controlled and rare. All AP pistol rounds are illegal in the States AFAIK. There are some gray areas like the 5.7mm which is naturally good at armor pen, but they had to downgrade the armor pen characteristics to sell five-seven ammo on the civilian market.

sol_bad

Well dang, guess I have to watch it.

Once upon a time, the Russos were put on the map for making well shot and grounded action scenes in Winter Soldier - not for the disneyfied Avengers films. I'm a bit hopeful now that they're going to return to making those kinds of films.

What the what?
Winter Soldier was under Disney too and for sure the Russo Bros had even more creative freedom with Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame. All 4 films have well shot action. Winter Soldier is one of my favourite MCU films but it's melee combat scenes could have done well with some less .... editing.

For all we know though, the frantic editing may have helped with the PG13 rating. Many movies from America have different editing or camera shots based on the PG13 or R rating.

-Troid-

Banned
I saw this this past weekend. It was pretty good. I felt it was a good example of having a diverse cast in a modern movie where it wasn't there to check a box or preach but it was part of the setting/conflict and felt natural.

The action was pretty good. Hemsworth's character was interesting enough to make you sympathize with his inner turmoil but not intrusive enough to get in the way of the plot/action. Every character had clear goals/conflicts, and the story just worked; which is hard to say about a good deal of movies nowadays.

I found the long one-take action sequence to kind of drag. It was cool but I think it could've ended a bit sooner. Or maybe seeing Birdman just burnt me out on one-take shots in general.

It wasn't groundbreaking but worth a watch.

Weiji

Banned
This was pretty decent. Action choreography was top notch A+

Story was a bit on the simple side and the ending was pretty dumb.

As a stupid action flick it’s excellent though. That chick was hot as fuck, wish she was in more of the movie.

Yah I enjoyed this. I think the final act and the final half hour is far better than the rest of the film. The middle of the film, though having various action scenes, just sort of moves the characters along the board. The final sequences pay off with the bridge finale and even the resolution is done well.

jonnyp

Who else rememberes watching Chris on Home and Away?

images

Does every Aussie actor start their careers on Home and Away?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nice scene spoiler in the trailer with the heli getting nuked.
I mean... if you didn't predict that heli getting nuked...

They pretty much exist in action movies for the sole purpose of watching them explode/crash.

Last edited:

lachesis

I liked it well - great actions. Reminds me the Korean movie "The Man from Nowhere" or Taken. For some reason the story didn't resonate with me as the other movies - but I really liked the Indian characters and the boy as well. Some of the action scenes were literal sense of "ouch" - Russo bros do know their action scenes!

Weiji

Banned
I liked it well - great actions. Reminds me the Korean movie "The Man from Nowhere" or Taken. For some reason the story didn't resonate with me as the other movies - but I really liked the Indian characters and the boy as well. Some of the action scenes were literal sense of "ouch" - Russo bros do know their action scenes!

Come on now, this movie doesn’t deserve to be mentioned along side ‘The Man from Nowhere.’

That movie is actually good. This is just trashy fun.

pr0cs

Watched it last night, I thought it was really good. I did find some of color grading terrible, often the actors faces had a strange green tinge to them.

Maybe it's me but the action sequences had both me and my woman remarking that it would be cool to see Hemsworth try doing Bond.

Fbh

Was pretty good and a nice fit for Netflix. It's a fun watch with some cool and well choreographed actions scenes.

The plot wasn't great and IMO it got a bit weird at times like the kid randomly getting awkwardly philosophical and "deep" out of nowhere, but it was fun

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I watched the night comes for us on netflix after extraction. Was pretty dope but i had to look away from the gore a few times.
Night comes for us was pretty good but it is definitely violence overkill and wears out the viewer. How many times can a guy make a sacrificial last stand that only buys 10 seconds because they are just outclassed? Or a line of guys wait, for their one on one fight? Less is more IMHO.

Night comes for us was pretty good but it is definitely violence overkill and wears out the viewer. How many times can a guy make a sacrificial last stand that only buys 10 seconds because they are just outclassed? Or a line of guys wait, for their one on one fight? Less is more IMHO.

I thought it was a weak attempt at being like The Raid, especially that ending, ugh.

Yah, Hemsworth had an AR-15 though, which can defeat military body armor. The Indian dude's MP5 isn't going through the police kevlar vests, even.

Took me out of the action a little, since when they were using pistols they'd target the neck and other vulnerable points to avoid armored areas (which is cool). Well, those handguns are the same caliber as the MP5.

BALLISTICS INFORMATION
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1550 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 480 ft lbs
  • Penetration: 17 inches
There's a chance...

black_13

Banned
That was a great movie. This is how you do diversity in a movie. Some great directing in this. Best Netflix movie and could easily been a theater movie.

Watched it finally yesterday.
Amazing movie, could have easily been in theaters, if they existed anymore..

I wasn't too keen on its morals, though.
Indian dude was bad ass, but actually it was his fault everybody was in this shitty situation, cause he double crossed the original team.
No need to make him a hero in the end.

YCoCg

It had some good scenes and the action was well done but the plot was pretty damn bare bones, still good for a mindless watch though.

Top Bottom