• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I think we are becoming out of touch with modern gaming, Gaf.” - Principal Skinner's Enthusiast Boomers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That’s a problem for Sony to fix, not for me to suffer through as a consumer.

They could hypothetically own their big 6-10 studios and then buy 10 really promising indie/AA devs to fill out the schedule and deliver games like Journey and like SotC, but they aren’t interested because games where you can see horse testicles make bank.
Which we still won't get a current-gen patch for, not even a 60fps one.

Man, such a fantastic game, RDR2, being left out in the cold.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
A53.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All this drama over one showcase, and not because it didn't have games, it didn't have Sony first party games so people can drool over graphics.
It's literally called a PlayStation Showcase and has been two years since the last one.

And they are called VIDEO games for a reason. We want both visual splendor and gameplay.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'd say it's the 80/20 rule for GAF;

80% of the posters here are older gamers, who're more into retro gaming than modern gaming.

20% are zoomers and millennials who actually give a damn about modern gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's literally called a PlayStation Showcase and has been two years since the last one.

And they are called VIDEO games for a reason. We want both visual splendor and gameplay.
We getting good looking games the problem is not good enough for you guys. you guys expecting absolulty highest tech and most expensive graphics but at the same time also wanting to games come out faster and have most ambitious and risky gameplay.

la-la-land-dance.gif

Klayzer

We getting good looking games the problem is not good enough for you guys. you guys expecting absolulty highest tech and most expensive graphics but at the same time also wanting to games come out faster and have most ambitious and risky gameplay.

la-la-land-dance.gif
Console players have turned into graphic snobs. Not all of coarse, but a growing number since this gen started. Truthfully, I get the dissapointing no show of ND, Bend, etc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe we are, but in that case, its the kids who are wrong.

8f6b8baa8b95ed3fbec52ca50c5b4208c0003ff537ba1e91161f2566a17f550a_1.jpg
GOAT!

la-la-land-dance.gif
No, the problem is that they didn't show ANYTHING new from their legacy studios in a 2 year hiatus called a PlayStation Showcase.

But as I highlighted in the OP, it did not seem to impact gamers as a whole. Hence the thread title, etc..

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Have you even considered people like actually PLAYING SONY'S 1ST PARTY GAMES?!?!
Have you consider there are more to games than just 1st party game?

This year alone we got and getting great 3rd party games, also you want high tech graphics in your first party games then you have to wait for it.

Mr.Phoenix

Do you know what would be really interesting?

Is if we have or can see the age spread of all the members on GAF.

I gather that will paint a very conclusive picture of exactly what is going on.

My guess would be
70% > 30yrs Old
30% < 30yrs Old

Last edited:
Teardown’s a great game, that requires planning to complete the objectives.

Your son has good taste.

Yeah he's got a pretty unique gaming taste that he kind of cultivated on his own. Of course I tended to push him more to the types of games I liked as a kid (Mario, Kirby, platformers, that kind of stuff) but he got into more creative, open-ended stuff on his own. He's big into any level creator type stuff (Fall Guys creative mode and the level maker in Humanity recently too, he hasn't even played the regular levels in Humanity). We have him in a weekly kids coding class too so he's learning to apply that creativity and drive, hoping it leads to further interest down the road into maybe making his real own games.

XXL

I thought it's was a good showcase, but a bad Playstation showcase. If that makes any sense.

I'm super interested in a bunch of the games shown.

I think Playstations mistake was calling it a Playstation Showcase instead of just calling it a State of Play and showing too much CGI trailers.

So yeah, I'm disappointed from that perspective and I can complete understand others being disappointed from that angle. But acting like it's the worst thing you've even seen is a complete overreaction, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I actually though that there were a lot of decent announcements. I'm scrolling through a Discord channel where me and my buddies chatted about the trailers as they were playing and I'm actually kinda surprised how positive we were about a lot of the things they showed, lol.

The only stuff that I didn't care about were those smaller cutesy indie games because that shit just isn't for me, but that foam game and some of the PSVR 2 stuff looked like straight up garbage, lol.

And lastly, while I wasn't terribly impressed with Spider-Man 2 and I wish that the game didn't look like a glorified DLC, I mean, come on. It's Spider-Man. It's still gonna be a great time regardless of how last gen it looks.

XXL

It's the first party crickets in a PLAYSTATION showcase people are annoyed with. Especially Naughty Dog and Factions 2.
I agree. I think the 2 games that were absent that puzzled me the most are Factions and Astro Bot 2.

From a 1st party perspective it was a complete misfire, no argument from me on that front.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is why they won't course correct, maybe. It was a success, nobody is refuting that. They showed some quality 3rd party games.

It's the first party crickets in a PLAYSTATION showcase people are annoyed with. Especially Naughty Dog and Factions 2.

I'm starting to get annoyed at Playstation's success and it makes ZERO sense. I'm darn near rooting against my own interest at this point, but I want something bad to happen to wake Jimbo and Sony up to be better. But they keep succeeding up the steps lol

Unknown?

Everyone wanted an E3 2015 moment but that clearly was not the plan. I was disappointed too but realize it's not all they have in the pipeline.

What confused me was people being disappointed in Spider-Man... That looks like its Uncharted 2 moment to me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm starting to get annoyed at Playstation's success and it makes ZERO sense. I'm darn near rooting against my own interest at this point, but I want something bad to happen to wake Jimbo and Sony up to be better. But they keep succeeding up the steps lol

Just look at Madden and Fifa. There is no reason these games should be sucessful, yet the consistently are, getting more and more greedy with every passing release. All it takes is a handful of retarded whales and Sony has a lot of retarded whales ready to eat up their soon-to-release GAAS exclusives.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
As long as there is alot of money on the line, they wont.
That is like saying EA should focus more on SP games, when their sport title makes billions.

Unknown?

Isn't that the case with all consoles? Series has been relying on nothing and Nintendo Switch had to port over most of its WiiU games so there wouldn't be years worth of first party droughts.

FrankWza

Maybe we are, but in that case, its the kids who are wrong.

8f6b8baa8b95ed3fbec52ca50c5b4208c0003ff537ba1e91161f2566a17f550a_1.jpg

There's an analogy in here somewhere. If you know Jordan is the goat you're in one camp and if you're foolish enough to think it's lebron and who started the decline of the nba by teaming up over and over you're in another. And if you say steph then you love what ruined basketball for good.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I liked it. It showed games, and quite a good number that I'm interested in.

The Plucky Squire (my favourite).
Phantom Blade 0.
MGS 3 remake.
Spiderman 2.
Alan Wake 2 (although I don't like there's no physical so hopefully that changes).
RE4 VR.
Assassin's Creed Mirage.
Cat Quest (3?).
Towers of Aghasaba.
Tower of Fantasy.
Dragon's Dogma 2.
Granblue Fantasy Relink.
Ultros.

That's a lot of good games for me.

Klayzer

I liked it. It showed games, and quite a good number that I'm interested in.

The Plucky Squire (my favourite).
Phantom Blade 0.
MGS 3 remake.
Spiderman 2.
Alan Wake 2 (although I don't like there's no physical so hopefully that changes).
RE4 VR.
Assassin's Creed Mirage.
Cat Quest (3?).
Towers of Aghasaba.
Tower of Fantasy.
Dragon's Dogma 2.
Granblue Fantasy Relink.
Ultros.

That's a lot of good games for me.
Six games on that list Im intrested in. Three are absolutely day one buys.

Yoboman

My opinion is there was nothing necessarily wrong with the game selection of the showcase. One or two more single player Sony games with GAMEPLAY would have been perfect

And their GAAS games should have been GAMEPLAY. We were already skeptical of this direction and then they drop CG trailers on our heads?

The casual gamer can barely tell the difference, but we know CG trailers are completely irrelevent to the point they may as well not even show them. And you could argue they are outright deceptive

Casuals all over my TikTok feed loved the showcase, but we know a bit better that if you come with a showcase like that you deserve criticism. They literally think everything shown was an exclusive and Spiderman 2 just won the generation, so that's what you are dealing with on the casual side

Maybe our Xbox friends not demanding better after years of being pumped with CG trailers and then gobbling it up has made companies feel it's a legitimate strategy

Last edited:

Loope

It's no secret by now that there are many of us that were not too thrilled, and that is putting it lightly, with the Showcase yesterday.

It has been 2 years since we seen a "PlayStation Showcase," and this was the time right? This was the time to show us a sneak peak of at the very least one or maybe two games their legacy studios are working on, right?

Naughty Dog's Factions 2, especially coming off the massive success of the HBO series, and almost 3 years deep into this generation with a mode that was supposed to launch not far after TLoU Part 2, or even Bluepoint, that launched a stellar remake in Demon's Souls day and date of the PS5 release? It was at least time to announce their project, right? Nada!

Bend? Who have been teasing like the rest of them, more so the past couple of days before the event, where we have not seen a peep out of them other than current year damage control of "inclusivity" as a studio CULTure. Their last release was the divisive Day's Gone, in which I was LTTP and very much enjoyed my time with on the fully patched and stellar running/looking PS5 60fps "version." But again, nothing.

Not even a gameplay trailer for Silent Hill 2, which was, then wasn't, but then was again almost ready to be in a release state, just were bug squashing and optimizing, allegedly.

So I decided to step outside of the Gaf/message board bubble and take a good look at the gaming world as a whole, since like/dislike bombing has been a pretty decent barometer to where gamers get their point across as to their level of satisfaction with such events.

Here are the following likes/dislikes for the show, and trailers of games people on here, would have you to believe gamer's everywhere are not satisfied with:

Gamers must have hated PSVR, right?

How about the Bungie GaaS? We all hate them, right?

People surely hate the Gran Turismo movie trailers, right?

People at least agreed on disliking, albeit not by much as the like ratios above, but they did dislike wish.com Splatoon and accessories, so there's that:

Vast majority dislikes the current year edgy and snooty checklist trope characters or game:

I think it's safe to say that we are the ones now out of touch with modern gaming and are the minority. Sad, but true.

At least we all have those massive backlogs for when it changes into zoomer 8 second attention span crack sample gaming, right Gaf, right?

the simpsons adult GIF
Well it's true. I work with people in their early 20's and they were all trilled about it.

Scotty W

Gold Member
You are absolutely correct DeepEnigma DeepEnigma . This forum has little sense of what the common person wants. How many threads about Roblox or Fortnite have you seen? Has a normie ever complained about fps?

Furthermore, we are beyond ignorant of the business realities of the games business. Even worse, we are ignorant about the creative realities, demanding endless sequels from every exhausted franchise. Worst if all is our profound ungratefulness when we dismiss the hard work of years over some small technical issue.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You are absolutely correct DeepEnigma DeepEnigma . This forum has little sense of what the common person wants. How many threads about Roblox or Fortnite have you seen? Has a normie ever complained about fps?

Furthermore, we are beyond ignorant of the business realities of the games business. Even worse, we are ignorant about the creative realities, demanding endless sequels from every exhausted franchise. Worst if all is our profound ungratefulness when we dismiss the hard work of years over some small technical issue.

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

• Fire
Reactions: GHG
Well I don't see a reason to want to pick up a PS5 in the near future.

I'm not interested in the 100th Assassins Creed, Fifa or Call of Duty. I want games that are tailored to the system. I want the best of PS Studios. Show me what you can do with a PS5 without the shackles of last gen.

The PS Showcase was meant to give gamers an outlook on what's coming and for us to get excited for the future or next phase of next gen games. Until they can give me a reason to invest in the hardware to play their games, I'll continue on my PC. I'm in no hurry but I'm not going to run out for a PS5 to play generic 3rd party shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My opinion is there was nothing necessarily wrong with the game selection of the showcase. One or two more single player Sony games with GAMEPLAY would have been perfect

And their GAAS games should have been GAMEPLAY. We were already skeptical of this direction and then they drop CG trailers on our heads?

The casual gamer can barely tell the difference, but we know CG trailers are completely irrelevent to the point they may as well not even show them. And you could argue they are outright deceptive

Casuals all over my TikTok feed loved the showcase, but we know a bit better that if you come with a showcase like that you deserve criticism. They literally think everything shown was an exclusive and Spiderman 2 just won the generation, so that's what you are dealing with on the casual side

Maybe our Xbox friends not demanding better after years of being pumped with CG trailers and then gobbling it up has made companies feel it's a legitimate strategy

And maybe one or two more AAA PSVR2 games and less CGI and I would have liked this showcase.

Griffon

Did OP really expect downvote bombings? Since the downvote count has been hidden I don't think people give enough of a fuck to vote at all. The only semi-useful metric is view counts.

Besides, while many of the games shown could be seen as underwhelming, it wasn't outrageous either.

Last edited:
I'm really sick of people defending the modern hellish landscape of the gaming industry by saying "you're just old, you're not the target demographic anymore, it's just nostalgia" etc etc.

Bullshit. I have seen countless young kids play games far older than them end up loving the shit out of those games despite having only played them recently with access to much better graphics and even without the right setup (eg Splinter Cell on crappy LCD instead of CRT.) It's got nothing to do with nostalgia or rose tinted glasses. Games used to be better, full stop. Today's games are corporate soilless garbage made by boring talentless people.

This isn't limited to games, it's happening in every form of entertainment. Movies, music, TV it all blows compared to stuff from 2000 and earlier. I think people who think otherwise live in denial, just like how some tired 40 something comes home, cracks open beer (or a woman chugs wine) while watching whatever schlock is currently hyped on Netflix and wait for the next day to come. It's switching the brain off and just trying to numb the pain, but it doesn't mean the shit they're consuming is good.

sachos

Hopefully we don’t get left behind, we shall see.
Its hard to think we are not when by 2025 60% of investment will be on GaaS, so imagine this showcase with even more GaaS games spread around. The way they hyped up this showcase as the next phase for PS5 and the way Jim talked about the event made it seem it was going to be a blow out of first party! And it was, but not the one the core PS audience would expect from them. I've been thinking about this, from their perspective it trully was a blow out Showcase, it shows they are going all in on GaaS imo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm really sick of people defending the modern hellish landscape of the gaming industry by saying "you're just old, you're not the target demographic anymore, it's just nostalgia" etc etc.

Bullshit. I have seen countless young kids play games far older than them end up loving the shit out of those games despite having only played them recently with access to much better graphics and even without the right setup (eg Splinter Cell on crappy LCD instead of CRT.) It's got nothing to do with nostalgia or rose tinted glasses. Games used to be better, full stop. Today's games are corporate soilless garbage made by boring talentless people.

This isn't limited to games, it's happening in every form of entertainment. Movies, music, TV it all blows compared to stuff from 2000 and earlier. I think people who think otherwise live in denial, just like how some tired 40 something comes home, cracks open beer (or a woman chugs wine) while watching whatever schlock is currently hyped on Netflix and wait for the next day to come. It's switching the brain off and just trying to numb the pain, but it doesn't mean the shit they're consuming is good.

Exactly. I am 30. I didn't grow up playing games like Akalabeth, Duke Nukem (2D games), or many NES/SNES titles. Yet, I loved them all the same when I eventually did get around to playing them. A great game remains a great game. Gaming is larger now, yes - so they just need a handful of whales to supplement their poor design. Its why Gacha games are so prevelent. They aren't actually popular with most people, but they make plenty of money from the few that are super into them.

Chronicle

It's no secret by now that there are many of us that were not too thrilled, and that is putting it lightly, with the Showcase yesterday.

It has been 2 years since we seen a "PlayStation Showcase," and this was the time right? This was the time to show us a sneak peak of at the very least one or maybe two games their legacy studios are working on, right?

Naughty Dog's Factions 2, especially coming off the massive success of the HBO series, and almost 3 years deep into this generation with a mode that was supposed to launch not far after TLoU Part 2, or even Bluepoint, that launched a stellar remake in Demon's Souls day and date of the PS5 release? It was at least time to announce their project, right? Nada!

Bend? Who have been teasing like the rest of them, more so the past couple of days before the event, where we have not seen a peep out of them other than current year damage control of "inclusivity" as a studio CULTure. Their last release was the divisive Day's Gone, in which I was LTTP and very much enjoyed my time with on the fully patched and stellar running/looking PS5 60fps "version." But again, nothing.

Not even a gameplay trailer for Silent Hill 2, which was, then wasn't, but then was again almost ready to be in a release state, just were bug squashing and optimizing, allegedly.

So I decided to step outside of the Gaf/message board bubble and take a good look at the gaming world as a whole, since like/dislike bombing has been a pretty decent barometer to where gamers get their point across as to their level of satisfaction with such events.

Here are the following likes/dislikes for the show, and trailers of games people on here, would have you to believe gamer's everywhere are not satisfied with:

Gamers must have hated PSVR, right?

How about the Bungie GaaS? We all hate them, right?

People surely hate the Gran Turismo movie trailers, right?

People at least agreed on disliking, albeit not by much as the like ratios above, but they did dislike wish.com Splatoon and accessories, so there's that:

Vast majority dislikes the current year edgy and snooty checklist trope characters or game:

I think it's safe to say that we are the ones now out of touch with modern gaming and are the minority. Sad, but true.

At least we all have those massive backlogs for when it changes into zoomer 8 second attention span crack sample gaming, right Gaf, right?

the simpsons adult GIF
I get where you're coming from. SONY showed a very diverse showcase with some very cool looking games, but we really gotta admit that it was a bit odd not to get at least two big trailers from their studios. I'm a huge factions fan and have been very patiently waiting. That was a ps4 game for crying out loud.

Perhaps in the coming week or two Sony will release updates on studios and their progress just to calm the masses. But as you pointed out the 'negative' noise on here may not get heard.

But i get wear both sides are coming from on this.

Alex Scott

They are coming but not for a few years, and at best once a year. We saw how long it took them to make iterative sequels like Horizon, GT7, GOW and now Spiderman. Next gen sequels will probably take 6 if not 7 years, and we might be looking at 2026 for TLOU3, 2027 for Horizon 3, and 2028 for whatever SSM is working on now. Bend is toast. 4 years and only a logo to show. Cory seems to have been jerking off these last FIVE years. Imagine working on something for five years and not having anything to show for it. Even Mass Effect Andromeda which was a disaster took five years, 3 prototyping and then 2 more to ship. Cory has shown nothing.

Neil last shipped a game 3 full years ago. had nothing to even show. Kojima has spent 4 years and had nothing except for a smaller teaser to show last year. These guys have lost that passion. That drive. Or things just take 7 years to make now. Sony said that 60% of their budget will go towards GAAS from now on. So they are probably shafting these single player devs who need money more than ever as games are taking longer and longer to make.

Id say the next five years from sony look like this:
2024 - Factions
2025 - Wolverine
2026 - TLOU3
2027 - Corys New IP
2028 - Horizon 3

With Ghosts 2 and Death Stranding sprinkled in there somewhere. Thats just crumbs to me. Just ten years ago, i used to get all those games in one year.
THen what is the point of having 2 teams if it doesn't accelerate game development.
Cory new Ip will take close to 10 years to make according to your timeline. Cory started working on his game in 2018 so it is likely 2025.

Yoboman

THen what is the point of having 2 teams if it doesn't accelerate game development.
Cory new Ip will take close to 10 years to make according to your timeline. Cory started working on his game in 2018 so it is likely 2025.
It should. Most Sony teams aren't really in the 2 team structure but more like 1.5 team structure. If you have a 5 year Dev cycle then you might have 2 years pre production with a small team then scale to full production when the previous project finishes for 3 years

At least that's the idea

I think Insomniac though has an actual 2 team or even 2.5 team structure

So if Cory's game is in full production since end of Ragnarok we might get it in end of 2025-26

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah he's got a pretty unique gaming taste that he kind of cultivated on his own. Of course I tended to push him more to the types of games I liked as a kid (Mario, Kirby, platformers, that kind of stuff) but he got into more creative, open-ended stuff on his own. He's big into any level creator type stuff (Fall Guys creative mode and the level maker in Humanity recently too, he hasn't even played the regular levels in Humanity). We have him in a weekly kids coding class too so he's learning to apply that creativity and drive, hoping it leads to further interest down the road into maybe making his real own games.

Wow, that’s really great that he’s taken such an interest in the creative side of gaming!
He might like Valheim as well. It has a free build mode, where you build and deform the ground to your heart’s content.

Top Bottom