• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 reasons why David Cage is a better director than Hideo Kojima.

OP when he sees my wrath and rage as the touch of death approaches him:
lEiYZYj.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
David Cage hahaa oh lol. I had to sold detroit because even the damn box reminded me of robot death camp. So subtle.
Meanwhile, Death Stranding made me emotional so much I've cried a bit (not as much as the last guardian). But the moments of music playing + view after a long trip are unbeatable

Last edited:

Damigos

Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason JasonJason Jason Jason Jason Jason JasonJason Jason Jason Jason Jason JasonJason Jason Jason Jason Jason JasonJason Jason Jason Jason Jason JasonJason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason Jason

Death Stranding is a game from Sony Studios.. that I havent bothered to play. Looks like kingdom hearts. Where I cant even tell if the story is bad, cause the writer doesnt even know what the story is. I loved Metal Gear 5‘s gameplay mechanically. But then I reached part 2 of the story and never played ever again. Ive finished every game ive played except MG5.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Reading the comments to try and figure out who the fuck David Cage is. Don't mind me

Edit:
Wait...Detroit become Human and Beyond two Souls better than...any of Kojima's games? I mean... that hardly seems fair.

Last edited:

Roberts

Not even going to comment on Cage much. Dude's a hack - in a movie business he, at best, would write some shitty movies for Lifetime channel. Kojima is a lot more complicated, because if anything he is a man of contradictions. Sometimes he does some unique stuff - idiosyncratic in the best way possible and sometimes he is not that far away from being gaming's Tommy Wiseau.

Birdo

Banned
Eiji Aonuma shits on both (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)

1. Can make a story driven game without the player constantly losing control.
2. Isn't full of himself.
3. Knows what pacing is.
4. Isn't a film-school drop out.
5. Produced Link's Crossbow Training.

jadefire66

I unironically prefer David Cage simply because I've never played a Kojima game before (other than the first hour of MGSV), while I've played all of Cage's games so far. Omikron is my fav one.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s like comparing apples to oranges. I’d much rather face a BT head on than whatever was in Indigo Prophecy. I’d much rather have a horror game from Kojima. Cage doesn’t even create good history based fiction. Kojima has some of the best military based science fiction.

I feel like I just walked into the junior writing class at Video Game school. :messenger_grinning:

CAB_Life

I don’t like either. Both are “auteurs”. Both have unique perversions and poor impulse control with absolutely no restraint or ability to edit themselves. If I wanted to watch people indulge in elaborate fetish fantasies that’s what Tumblr is for.

I get the appeal, but their games are not for me. If I had to choose, I’d give Kojima the artistic/ aesthetic edge. Cage’s stuff looks overly glossy and still somehow bland.

1. He doesn't do boring open-world grindfests. Keeping' it straight and to the point. True, Peace Walker and Phantom Pain had LOTS of unnecessary grinding.
He always puts QTEs in his cutscenes in order to keep players engaged. Kojima's cutscenes are boring, require no input from the player and just go on and on... and on...... Also true. Some of MGS4's scenes were 90 mins long, which is egregious even for Kojima.
He has much better taste in actors. Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page easily beat Norman Reedus and Lea Seydoux. Agreed, Reedus put me to sleep and Seydoux was awful with the script she had to read.
His studio always use their own technology, because they are strong and independent. No need to license a 3rd party engine such as Decima. Can't refute this, but KojiPro used to make their own engines. DS was the first time they didn't.
Mayan apocalypse > Nanomachines. True
He made a game without single 'Game Over' screen. Kojima never managed to do that. Checkmate atheists. While I'm not sure this is a big deal, this is also correct.
He never compromised his vision with last-gen versions of his games to make an easy buck.... unlike Kojimbo (looking at you MGSV). Yikes, yup, can't disagree. MGSV had a lot of issues and the way it was commercialized is one of them. Same with DS, as the monster energy tie-in was horrendous.
Cage has received the Legion of Honour. Kojima did not. Another fact, but I'm not sure how its relevant.
David is also professional music composer (he also composed the opening theme for Detroit: Become Human all by himself). Kojima can't play for shit. Also fact.
Kojima puts tons of creepy anime bullshit in his game. David Cage does not. Again, this is true, but the anime bs is part of Kojima's charm, and I always enjoyed it.

I can't actually refute any of your points, but I still think Kojima makes better games. That being said, I thought Death Stranding really sucked. But everyone makes a bad game sometimes. He has had WAY more hits than misses when compared to Cage. I enjoyed Heavy Rain (in spite of JASON), but haven't played Beyond or Detroit yet. Kojima has the entire Metal Gear series, Snatcher, and Policenauts. Its not even close.

Thabass

Cage's only good game was Fahrenheit. I loved that one to pieces. But, it's not even close that Kojima a much better design / director. Just, it isn't even close.

Aion002

I think the opposite. Cage made 2.5 good games, where Kojima perhaps hasn't made one (yet).
Every game that Kojima made I liked a lot.

The only Cage game that I cared to play was Beyond... And I disliked. I even bought Detroit for 5 bucks during a sale and never installed... I have to stop impulse buying things just because they're cheap... :messenger_downcast_sweat:

V2Tommy

Every game that Kojima made I liked a lot.

The only Cage game that I cared to play was Beyond... And I disliked. I even bought Detroit for 5 bucks during a sale and never installed... I have to stop impulse buying things just because they're cheap... :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I guess it depends on how you feel about film. Cage is "French Cinema" and Kojima is "Hong Kong action + American Thriller." I prefer big ideas to big execution.

Doom85

David Cage: "games should be about what players feel, not what they do"

The most emotion I've ever felt in any David Cage game I've played:

7CDf0MY.gif

Me during the final hour of Death Stranding:

ad5fb5afa734229ce3914e98a0584ead41d39e68r1-457-250_hq.gif

(Death Stranding spoilers)

Seriously, Die-Hardman's confession, Sam finding out Lou is dead, Sam hugging Deadman goodbye, that final delivery, Sam finally knowing that Cliff was his father and Cliff's final words, and Sam resuscitating Lou. I can only assume Kojima is secretly gaining spirit energy from all the tears shed by some of his fans.

Also, creepy anime bullshit > creepy rape bullshit. Seriously, Cage has a serious fetish it seems for putting attempted rape scenes or just scenes with women in peril in suggestive ways when it comes to the main female in all his games. Even Ellen Page wasn't immune to him doing his usual shit. Granted, I think Indigo Prophecy lacked it but that has zombie sex, so take your poison. When Kojima tackles subjects like this, he does it with FAR, FAR more grace than Cage who just seems like he feels compelled to throw it in most of his stories regardless if it has anything to do with the story or character development.

Aion002

I guess it depends on how you feel about film. Cage is "French Cinema" and Kojima is "Hong Kong action + American Thriller." I prefer big ideas to big execution.
It might be, but for me the most divisive point is the gameplay.

Kojima games always have new and peculiar aspects that keeps me engaged, while Cage games are just QTEs and I loathe QTEs...

Also, Doom85 post is completely on point with my opinion.

Kojima makes wacky, weird anime stuff... But I am entertained by it... While Cage tries to do edgy serious sad stuff... Which bores me out.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

A.Romero

I too think they are not even at the same level. It's just not a fair competition.

Kojima has a lot of things against him for sure (those MGS4 cutscenes, pervy useless shit, nanomachines, etc) but his games are at another level. You can not like them but I'm having a hard time imagining liking Cage's games better than Kojima's. I like them both because the concept of interactive movie is interesting to me but gameplay in Cage's games it's not even on the same ballpark than Kojima's games.

We are talking about a guy that:

• Invented a genre and tried to invented a second one (I don't think it will pick up but we will see)
  • Brought us another revolution in gaming with MGS
  • Dared to have fans played with a complete different character (despite the huge expectation MGS2 caused)
  • Has consistently sold millions of copies of his games

He is so good that he managed to fuck up MGSV and it's still a good game, just not the same quality we are used to get from him. Got fired and immediately got support from one of the biggest game publishers.

Cage is great but he is not a legend. Does any of his characters is worth remembering beyond the fact that they are based on celebrities?

Kojima is at the same level as Miyamoto, Mikami and others. Not for the same reasons but part of what I would consider the hall of fame of gaming.

They are the masters of plot holes, plot amor, and plot nonsense. One has more coherent gameplay, other has more coherent story. Anyone who praises either of these two. You lost the ability to criticize Druckmann.

Both Cage and Kojima are better than Druckmann when it comes to writing. Which is saying a lot.
Thats crazy talk. I bought all of cages games at full price. They are fun, something you forget days after playing. Kojima, the gameplay is good. Their stories? Lol. But ok. This comes from a person that hated last of us 2. Even though I thought it was a great game.

morelan

If we're talking about their quality as writers, I think neither is excellent, but Cage seems to be getting better at it (Detroit being his best) while Kojima is getting worse (I mean, Death Stranding is not as terrible as MGSV but it is still pretty bad).

However, If we're talking about creativity, Kojima is MUCH more creative than Cage. Even though I don't have the high expectations I used to have for Kojima's games, I'm still at least very curious about what his next project will be, because I know I won't find anything similar anywhere else.

In the gameplay department I also think Kojima is miles better (I mean, I thought Death Stranding was boring but the MGS series speaks for itself).

MrS

Banned
Both Cage and Kojima are better than Druckmann when it comes to writing. Which is saying a lot.
Wrong. Cage doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as either of them. Kojima was great with MGS1/2/3 but Druckmann has been on a roll recently and is very much the It writer in gaming.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Both Kojima and Cage have their own flaws but i still preffrered them over Druckman

I put Druckman bellow Cliff Blezinski now

Top Bottom