• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

101st Indianapolis 500 - May 28th |OT| We Got Bigger Crowds than Trump's Inauguration

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Penske isn't running any of their cars today because it's apparently too windy. They're just getting cars out and back in for pit stop practice. Not many other cars have gone out today.

On another note, Honda has been accused of sandbagging by detuning their engines.

tonka

The idea that Alonso has a far greater chance to win his first indy race than to win any f1 race in the foreseeable future is pretty mind blowing to think about.

FrankCanada97

Looks like Honda got caught in the act:

DADnuY8XYAAq0Es.jpg

FrankCanada97

Practice 4 is underway, the cars look like they are more trimmed out. Already setting fastest laps of the week.

FrankCanada97

Buddy Lazier finally made his first appearance on track this week.

Fastest laps as of Practice 4:

dI3aEaU.png

Tomorrow is Fast Friday, all the teams will fully trim out their cars and have qualifying boost on their engines.

Mastah

Sean Kelly‏ @virtualstatman

As per discussion w/ @IndyCar i've looked up the YouTube Indy 500 practice views:
Best 2016 day: 76,041
Best 2017 day: 606,682 (+698%)

Dat Alonzo Effect.

FrankCanada97

Last practice before tomorrow's qualifying just started and we're already seeing speeds above 231mph. Everyone is fully trimmed out.

FrankCanada97

Some cars are running with only one "winglet" beside the rear wing, others are running none. Bourdais has the fastest lap so far with 233.116mph.

Mastah

230.049 over 4 laps by Fernando, that's pretty good.

Bad weather coming, that could be it for today.

Mastah

There are certain distance percentages, like in Formula 1, after which race is declared as finished. If it rains all day, it's postponed to the next possible day, I think.

FrankCanada97

Shouldn't be an issue for race day. Forecast for the 28th is sunny with some clouds. I think today is a washout though, it takes around 2-4 hours to completely dry the track.

Alonso didn't get too many laps in qualifying trim. But, he has almost 7 hours in the qualifying session to put in as many runs as he needs.

FrankCanada97

Zach Veach crashed in turn 1 after getting loose, over-correcting and nearly nosing it in the wall. He made a second correction and instead made it a side impact with the wall.

FrankCanada97

Risgroo

I read that Alonso drew the last qualifying attempt. So he gets to watch everyone go before his attempt.

There was some confusion about this over on twitter. There are 33 cars, but 66 quali slots to draw (including spare cars IIRC). Alonso drew slot 33, so he'll actually be right in the middle. At least I think that's how it works. This quali format is a bit confusing!

FrankCanada97

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm at work so I can't follow qualy as closely as I'd like. The race control link has the IMS radio network stream if anyone wants to listen to commentary.

Pryce

A non Indycar drive coming in and being competitive is pretty unsurprising. Kurt Busch, a good not great NASCAR driver (think Grosjean), almost won the damn thing three years ago.

Good run by Fernando.

thefro

It'd be best for Alonso if he doesn't make the Top 9. These things get insanely hard to drive once they start taking more downforce out tomorrow.

Lots of people get shook once they wreck at the Speedway.

Top Bottom