• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, what in the actual fuck? So now that Audi don't have easy victories under their belt, they're abandoning the sport.

Seriously, fuck them. Never really liked them anyway, but it's bullshit for them to leave right when things were getting interesting.

It's VAG's fault. Theyre cutting costs and a formula e partnership has to cost almost nothing compared to a lmp1 entry.

Deadman

2017 simulation data given to Pirelli, changes in comparison to the end of 2015:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...r-2017-abtrieb-top-speeds-power-11579894.html

-increase in downforce by 5-30%, 30% is predicted figure

-10, 15, 17 and 22% increase in engine power, 22% must be Honda's number

-92% is the lowest predicted top speed, but one team has it at 113% - Symonds from Williams jokes if that's true, then they all missed something

-pole positions at Barcelona, 2015 - 1:24.7, 2016 - 1:22.0, predicted 2017 times varies between 1:16.4 as chosen by 3 teams (which Mercedes think is complete fantasy), 1:17.3-1:18.5 by 5 teams and the slowest team picked 1:21.8

Ferrari aiming high with 1.21. Good luck to them.

I heard the machine that was measuring increase in engine performance burned out when predicting the power increase for Honda's 2017 PU. Expect several times GP2 engine performance increases

It's VAG's fault. Theyre cutting costs and a formula e partnership has to cost almost nothing compared to a lmp1 entry.

It doesn't exactly make sense to promote diesel motors after the scandal, and they're expected to scrap them altogether in the next few years. Switching to petrol would mean two VAG teams competing using the same technology, which seems a huge waste of money.

Looks like they'll concentrate on DTM, Formula E and World Rallycross, all of which combined will probably cost about 10% of the cost of LMP1.

2017 simulation data given to Pirelli, changes in comparison to the end of 2015:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...r-2017-abtrieb-top-speeds-power-11579894.html

-increase in downforce by 5-30%, 30% is predicted figure

-10, 15, 17 and 22% increase in engine power, 22% must be Honda's number

-92% is the lowest predicted top speed, but one team has it at 113% - Symonds from Williams jokes if that's true, then they all missed something

-pole positions at Barcelona, 2015 - 1:24.7, 2016 - 1:22.0, predicted 2017 times varies between 1:16.4 as chosen by 3 teams (which Mercedes think is complete fantasy), 1:17.3-1:18.5 by 5 teams and the slowest team picked 1:21.8

Does this mean that one team expects to be 8% in terms of top speed?

Zaru

Considering how widely different the estimations for 2017 are from team to team, I'll be seriously surprised if they end up within similar margins to previous years by Australia. There's so much to gain and so much to do wrong.

Staab

Does this mean that one team expects to be 8% in terms of top speed?

They're relative figures comparing 2016 to expectations from 2017.
So one team is saying they expect to have 8% less top speed than this season in 2017 (2016 = 100%, 2017 = 92%, 100-92 = 8% less).

I find that quite interesting, because they're expecting between 5-30% increase in downforce so of course that's going to have a big impact on top speed.
That 113% figure seems, indeed, completely insane if you take that into account :O

Mastah

I find that quite interesting, because they're expecting between 5-30% increase in downforce so of course that's going to have a big impact on top speed.
That 113% figure seems, indeed, completely insane if you take that into account :O

I've read on Autosport forum that it could be 2015 Manor (or rather 2014 Marussia) with its 2014 Ferrari PU shitbox compared to what they'll have next year.

Zaru

Although the idea of one team doing 40-something km/h extra on the straights is kind of hilarious.

I mean, imagine you're in a Mercedes and some fucking backmarker passes you at 400 km/h on the Baku straight without DRS.

They're relative figures comparing 2016 to expectations from 2017.
So one team is saying they expect to have 8% less top speed than this season in 2017 (2016 = 100%, 2017 = 92%, 100-92 = 8% less).

Yeah that's what I meant to write, I forgot to add the "slower" part lol.

Still pretty surprising to me. I thought the extra downforce would be more than compensated by the extra power of the engines.

I was tempted to make a "Lewis, Fernando is faster than you" joke when I wrote that but I do expect McLaren to be in the top 4 again next year.

Is hilarious seeing things like that written when they were supposed to be winning races last season... let alone this one. :D

Zaru

It's strange to think that McLaren hasn't been better than 5th in 4 seasons. Half of that on Mercedes engines, all of that with a top team budget (as far as I know).

The only reasons why I hope they get their shit together are to see Fernando smile again and to give Stoffel some podiums before he has to jump ship.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Williams to announce driver lineup on November 3. They waited until Lance Stroll turns 18 this saturday to prevent possible issues with their Martini sponsorship.

Also, Red Bull video with Verstappen and Ricciardo celebrating Dia de los Muertos - https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/791680411139207168

CvykUBhWEAUPEGC.jpg

CvykQS9WIAIPKCl.jpg

NHale

Williams to announce driver lineup on November 3. They waited until Lance Stroll turns 18 this saturday to prevent possible issues with their Martini sponsorship.

Also, Red Bull video with Verstappen and Ricciardo celebrating Dia de los Muertos - https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/791680411139207168

So that means Bottas is staying as well. Renault will keep Magnussen or Palmer, right? Or Ocon is still a possibility even if they are not very much interested in developing a Mercedes driver at the moment?

f0rk

I know most drivers are the same, but I'm always surprised by the size of some of their necks. Ricccardo has a tree trunk

Lach

Interesting. So Baku and Bahrain are mostly below sea level? I remember them talking about it at Baku but I didn't know about Bahrain.

DBT85

FP 1 times

1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Medium tyres, 1:20.914,
2. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, Soft tyres, + 0.079
3. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Soft tyres, + 0.158,
4. Sergio Perez, Force India, Supersoft tyres, + 0.286
5. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Supersoft tyres, + 0.495
6. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, Soft tyres, + 0.533
7. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Medium tyres, + 0.759
8. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Soft tyres, + 0.813
9. Felipe Massa, Williams, Soft tyres, + 0.922
10. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, Soft tyres, + 1.301
11. Romain Grosjean, Haas, Soft tyres, + 1.586
12. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, Medium tyres, + 1.649
13. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, Supersoft tyres, + 1.809
14. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, Used soft tyres, + 1.963
15. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, Soft tyres, + 1.996
16. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, Used medium tyres, + 2.175
17. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, Used supersoft tyres, + 2.175
18. Jenson Button, McLaren, Soft tyres, + 2.428
19. Kevin Magnussen, Renault, Medium tyres, + 2.642
20. Esteban Ocon, Manor, Used soft tyres, + 3.169
21. Jolyon Palmer, Renault, Medium tyres, + 3.183
22. Pascal Wehrlein, Manor, Used medium tyres, + 3.436

Line_HTX

Ricciardo and Verstappen Day of the Dead makeups for media briefings and real wrestling on the paddock. What a sequence.

I hope some of the F1 drivers can wrestle in the ring, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom