• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 and 13-Year-Old Girls Raped by two Classmates in Auditorium, Police Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...rls-raped-by-classmates-auditorium-police-say

Janon Fisher and Eddie Small said:
THE BRONX — A 13-year-old and 14-year-old boy have been arrested on charges they raped two female schoolmates last week inside a Claremont junior high auditorium, police said.

The attack on the girls — ages 12 and 13 — occurred at 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 16 at JHS 145, located in the 44th Precinct, according to the NYPD.

According to court documents, the 14-year-old boy pushed his victim onto the floor and had sex with her multiple times. He was charged as an adult with rape, a criminal sex act, sexual misconduct and forcible touching, according to court documents.

However, investigators will determine whether or not the teen will be tried as an adult, according to the Bronx District Attorney's office.

The 13-year-old boy has been charged with rape and a criminal sex act, but is expected to be charged as a minor, police said. His case has been referred to the New York City Law Department's Family Court Division, and the agency is looking into the matter, according to a spokesman.

Department of Education officials did not immediately have any information about whether the students were supposed to be monitored while in the auditorium or what security was in place at the time of the attack.

The DOE sent out a statement from Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña in which she expressed horror at the attack.

“I am deeply disturbed and saddened by these reported events," she said. "My thoughts are with the students and families affected by this horrible incident."

"As a mother and grandmother, I treat every student as my own, and every school must be a safe haven," she continued. "The NYPD is addressing this matter, and we have provided additional guidance counselors and support to the school to aid its students and families during this difficult time.”

When I saw the headline I almost couldn't believe it was real... this is so fucked up what the hell.

Mxrz

Being charged as a minor is such bullshit in cases like this. Its special consideration being given to the criminal, not the victim.

collige

Banned
Being charged as a minor is such bullshit in cases like this. Its special consideration being given to the criminal, not the victim.

Special consideration would be treating them as an adult. They're minors, so they should be charged as minors.

Sch1sm

like most Junior High schools in NYC it's a big auditorium and at that time 12:30PM it will be empty and kids sneak off to fool around. sad to say it's easy enough to get around the guards and not be caught.

You guys just leave auditorium doors open in the states? My high school had them closed. Only people with keys were the office staff, janitor, hall monitor, and the head of Stage Crew. Then again when one door closes people go to other avenues so that doesn't matter so much, I guess. Times are changing, though, 13 and 14? Holy.

Brakke

Banned
What a heartbreaking story.

like most Junior High schools in NYC it's a big auditorium and at that time 12:30PM it will be empty and kids sneak off to fool around. sad to say it's easy enough to get around the guards and not be caught.

I don't know if you really want to be saying "fool around" in this context.

Velcro Fly

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with a brain that isn't fully developed yet. No one else made really dumb choices as a teenager? People forget that teenagers are still children. I'm not excusing at all what they did. It's horrible and they need to be held accountable but saying life in prison is just wrong.

Teremap

Banned
Wonderful, another thread where people can throw around overly harsh condemnations of the perpetrators without even remotely considering the circumstances behind them or discussing the greater problems that their behavior is merely a symptom of.

Condemn the behavior all you want to, folks - that's healthy for society. But screaming that these kids should be tried as adults is pretty fucking gross. How about we try to fix their behavior and help them become productive members of society instead of condemning them to a life in prison, eh? EH???

Makes you wonder where their parents and environment went completely wrong.

Children are mirrors of society.
EXACTLY.

It's sad and terrible that this happened, but merely imprisoning the kids doesn't actually solve anything. We need to solve the problems that lead up to this happening if we actually want any good to be done.

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with a brain that isn't fully developed yet. No one else made really dumb choices as a teenager? People forget that teenagers are still children. I'm not excusing at all what they did. It's horrible and they need to be held accountable but saying life in prison is just wrong.

Yeah, come on guys! It's just rape afterall. Kids will be kids!

I agree life in prison would be wrong, but they should most definitely be tried as adults. The context of the crime and their ages put them close enough into the "you knew what the fuck you were doing" category, imo. This wasn't a bullied kid snapping and stabbing a bully in the arm with a pencil or something, this was rape.

Red

In middle school, I was involved with a group of kids who would have considered rape "fooling around." It's obviously abhorrent and traumatizing for the victims, but some criminals have a broken perspective. I have no idea if the kids involved recognize how wrong it was to do what they did. But I have seen with my own eyes children who have done terrible things in the name of fun.

Yeah, saying life in prison was reactionary on my part. I would say they should still serve hard time but that won't do anything but turn them into harsher criminals. They need counseling and be registered sex offenders at least but maybe not much more. I don't know. The whole situation is beyond shitty. :(

Being a child is no excuse for rape. At the very least they should be on the sex offenders registry for the rest of their lives. They have potentially ruined the lives of 2 girls, that should always come with a serious punishment.

Dead Man

Not it isn't. If they are a minor and tried as an adult, that is the special consideration.

And once again, I await the influx of smoking, drinking, driving, and voting 13 year olds since we are now trying them as adults :/

kirblar

~95% of guys manage to figure out that rape is wrong just fine. I have no problem with locking away the other 5%.

Valnen

Wonderful, another thread where people can throw around overly harsh condemnations of the perpetrators without even remotely considering the circumstances behind them or discussing the greater problems that their behavior is merely a symptom of.

Condemn the behavior all you want to, folks - that's healthy for society. But screaming that these kids should be tried as adults is pretty fucking gross. How about we try to fix their behavior and help them become productive members of society instead of condemning them to a life in prison, eh? EH???

How about putting the feelings of the victims and their families into consideration?

EXACTLY.

It's sad and terrible that this happened, but merely imprisoning the kids doesn't actually solve anything. We need to solve the problems that lead up to this happening if we actually want any good to be done.

So throw the parents in prison for being shit also.

You guys just leave auditorium doors open in the states? My high school had them closed. Only people with keys were the office staff, janitor, hall monitor, and the head of Stage Crew. Then again when one door closes people go to other avenues so that doesn't matter so much, I guess. Times are changing, though, 13 and 14? Holy.

at least in all the schools that I attended in NYC the Auditorium was always open. most times there would a guard/teacher nearby and sometimes lots of kids/teenagers in Junior High/High school could go and have lunch, rehearse for a play, etc. it was never left alone for MOST of the day but all it takes is a few minutes and something like this can happen.

What a heartbreaking story.

right. I will edit. but I knew my fair of kids too that went and fooled around during school hours in all types of places. some even got caught.

Dead Man

How about putting the feelings of the victims and their families into consideration?

How about realising trying them as adults will not do anything to help the victim, will not have a deterrent effect on future crimes by other kids, and is just bloodthirsty vengeance politics predicated on people wanting to feel righteous?

Teremap

Banned
Yeah, saying life in prison was reactionary on my part. I would say they should still serve hard time but that won't do anything but turn them into harsher criminals. They need counseling and be registered sex offenders at least but maybe not much more. I don't know. The whole situation is beyond shitty. :(
The sex offender registry must end. It completely destroys someone's chances of reintegrating with society when that should really be the whole point of the prison system in the first place. It's just a massive waste of human resources to completely throw out a portion of the population entirely based on a single crime (and remember that you don't even have to commit rape to end up on the sex offender registry).

....lol.

Valnen

The sex offender registry must end. It completely destroys someone's chances of reintegrating with society when that should really be the whole point of the prison system in the first place. It's just a massive waste of human resources to completely throw out a portion of the population entirely based on a single crime (and remember that you don't even have to commit rape to end up on the sex offender registry).

Rapists should still have to register. Rapists shouldn't be getting out of prison in the first place though.

Stet

Banned

....lol.

What about the ones who did commit rape though?

Hagi

Kinda sounds like your saying kids will be kids. Raping a classmate or anyone for that matter is not a dumb decision. Stealing a snickers is what I'd say is a dumb decision at that age.

The only life sentence I think they should get is a lifetime place on the sex offenders list.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
WHY ARE WE YELLING?? I DON'T THINK THEY DO!!!!

It technically is still available to the state as an option, but there is no legal mechanism to implement it due to a court of appeals ruling that took issue with jury instructions and the NY assembly decision to decline implementing an amended process.

See, that's something that I kinda would like to have a serious discussion about.
Obviously you can't prosecute the parents for the same crime, but maybe some form of neglect?

Since, you know, the children have gotten a bit fucked up.

And I strongly disagree with trying a 14 year old as an adult.
It's one thing when you got a 17 year old about to turn 18, that's a good time to charge them as adult, but when you got someone right at the cusp of puberty?

Nah man, that just ain't right.

Fix your youth system instead if you don't believe it can handle crimes such as these.

Teremap

Banned
Rapists should still have to register. Rapists shouldn't be getting out of prison in the first place though.
What about the ones who did commit rape though?
Rapists should receive treatment like everyone else.

No registry. No cruel and unusual punishments. Fix them up so they can do things without being a danger to others around them.

See, that's something that I kinda would like to have a serious discussion about.
Obviously you can't prosecute the parents for the same crime, but maybe some form of neglect?

The thing that makes this complicated is that it's as much a socioeconomic problem as anything else.

Parents who have are overworked and live stressful day-to-day lives are not going to be as emotionally or even physically available for their children as they should be. This can be due to circumstances well beyond their control as they were simply dealt a really shitty hand in life. If we really want to solve these problems we have to address the poverty issue at the core of our society. That's simple fact.

Valnen

The problem with that is it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Sometimes fucked up people grow up in relatively normal situations.

Velcro Fly

Kinda sounds like your saying kids will be kids. Raping a classmate or anyone for that matter is not a dumb decision. Stealing a snickers is what I'd say is a dumb decision at that age.

The only life sentence I think they should get is a lifetime place on the sex offenders list.

I'm saying that life in prison is awful. Yeah lock someone away forever for something they did at 13 or 14? You can know something is wrong and not comprehend the lasting damage your actions cause. That's what I was saying. They definitely need to be held accountable.

~95% of guys manage to figure out that rape is wrong just fine. I have no problem with locking away the other 5%.
I'm actually liking this more the more I read it. Our entire criminal justice system is fucked up in a lot of ways but rape is a pretty clear cut crime. These kids had their chance to be good people and they blew it so fuck 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom