• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

lachesis

Well, just started the game - into about 50 minute mark of very slow leisurely playing. (My completion time, usually is about double of most average people...)

Originally started the with Japanese Dub, but switched to English Dubbing, to make my comprehension a little bit easier during battles. I will probably go with Japanese dubbing on my 2nd play-thru if I decided to do so. Currently about to start 3rd character's prologue. Toughest part right now, for me though, is trying to remember each characters names - as I'm not usually really good with remembering names, yet alone in Japanese names in a lot of games - but I guess once I get moving on the main story further, hopefully more will stick. I assume there are 13 main characters (as the title obviously mentions) - but there seem to be quite a few side characters present as well.

So far I'm quite happy with the 2d graphics - especially how the lights effects on each cutout. Its really interesting mix of atmosphere, although I wish there was a bit more of so non-obvious overlap of cutouts. They move quite fluently on X axis, but when moving Y, or should I say Z axis - it really does feel like moving the paper cutout front and back.

And quality of audio, and english dubbing is quite delightful. It is fully voiced on every single dialogue so far - even the pedestrian A & Bs or nameless classmates etc - which is quite nice. I have yet to make any judgements on storytelling - so far so good - mysterious and interesting. Each story telling sections are not extremely drawn out, and so far they are pretty linear - but I suspect the story would be fully selectable as more characters gets added into the mix by end of the prologue - will see how it does the job. It is pretty difficult to make up a solid coherent storytelling from so many different characters - but I heard they did a great job here... so looking forward to it.

I had a couple of tutorial battles - right now I'm relying more on spontaneous reaction to the situation - but I hope more strategic elements would get added with a little bit of breathing room (at least 1 turn) before engaging the enemy directly. Right now, it's just enemy appearing - and I move the characters to that enemy & defeat - but if knew a bit further of where the enemies would be coming from, I could make a little more strategic choices, but then again, I'm on tutorial mode - so I guess there are far more things to come!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, just started the game - into about 50 minute mark of very slow leisurely playing. (My completion time, usually is about double of most average people...)

Originally started the with Japanese Dub, but switched to English Dubbing, to make my comprehension a little bit easier during battles. I will probably go with Japanese dubbing on my 2nd play-thru if I decided to do so. Currently about to start 3rd character's prologue. Right now, for me though, is trying to remember each characters names - as I'm not usually really good with remembering names, yet alone in Japanese names in a lot of games - but I guess once I get moving on the main story further, hopefully more will stick. I assume there are 13 main characters (as the title obviously mentions) - but there seem to be quite a few side characters present as well.

So far I'm quite happy with the 2d graphics - especially how the lights effects on each cutout. Its really interesting mix of atmosphere, although I wish there was a bit more of so non-obvious overlap of cutouts. They move quite fluently on X axis, but when moving Y, or should I say Z axis - it really does feel like moving the paper cutout front and back.

And quality of audio, and english dubbing is quite delightful. It is fully voiced on every single dialogue so far - even the pedestrian A & Bs or nameless classmates etc - which is quite nice. I have yet to make any judgements on storytelling - so far so good - mysterious and interesting. Each story telling sections are not extremely drawn out, and so far they are pretty linear - but I suspect the story would be fully selectable as more characters gets added into the mix by end of the prologue - will see how it does the job. It is pretty difficult to make up a solid coherent storytelling from so many different characters - but I heard they did a great job here... so looking forward it.

I had a couple of tutorial battles - right now I'm relying more on spontaneous reaction to the situation - but I hope more strategic elements would get added with a little bit of breathing room (at least 1 turn) before engaging the enemy directly. Right now, it's just enemy appearing - and I move the characters to that enemy & defeat - but if knew a bit further of where the enemies would be coming from, I could make a little more strategic choices, but then again, I'm on tutorial mode - so I guess there are far more things to come!
tenor.gif

Why Amazon always have to deliver my games late!!?

Last edited:

blackjon24

Played around 2 hours so far and I'm enjoying it a lot. The story is completely bunkers and very intriguing. The visuals and music is the best i've seen from vanillaware and that is saying something.

I'm enjoying the battles alot more than i thought i would. Still I wish it was flashier. What is there works and it still surprisingly engaging but I would have liked a more bombastic presentation for battles especially from vanillaware where as this feels a bit more subdued for them. I will say it is very snappy and to the point.

Can't wait to put more time into this!

Danjin44

I will say it is very snappy and to the point.
I think that was point behind the visuals style for the combat section, especially later on when you would get lots of enemies on screen, you would want to be readable. This RTS gameplay was design around consoles which is very rare.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can't wait for my order to arrive! Vanillaware can do no wrong.

... I also have a thing for girls who can kick my ass. So, I am into Yuki already, lol.

EDIT: Also, the title theme (the whole OST in fact) is banger:

Last edited:

lachesis

Still on Tutorial / Introduction part - it's got some funny stuff. Iori's running w/ toast in the mouth / bumping into someone / panty incident in the beginning, wasn't really a just cliche'd accident - I think they meant to bring in a lot of those sub-cultural references- like ones about ET, Men in black, and Benji/Jax & Alien Prince looking robot, etc etc, and another one kinda like Magical girl's fateful "contract" with a cat like creature - that only the girls from 2024 would know, as in 1985, Magical Girls were pretty innocent... although Minky Momo was pretty dark. ;)

Also learned a little bit about Inaba's Rabbit - something Tomomi mentions in passing dialogues, which I don't think it has anything to do with main storyline (maybe) - but I thought it was something related to Persona 4. Well, I was wrong. It's about an old legend in Tottori prefecture. :)

So far, the characters haven't really grown on me though as I'm just on the intro section - but I have a good feeling about it. Due to the ton of characters, it seems like the prologue section seem to be quite long - although each one of them are pretty short, but there area a lot of characters.... So far I am taking it a bit by bit. I think my next play through, I may be done with the whole tutorial part into the main story line, which I'm really looking forward to.

Battle part is pretty interesting - part real-time and part turn based - so I think I would need to know more about each sentinels and what their strenghths are. Looks like Gen1 are mobility/fighting ones, Gen2 are balanced type, Gen3 are the long range type, and not sure what Gen4 would be. One thing I'd like to know is whether knowing your enemy type would be crucial in later stages - as right now it's visually similar to each other. (small yellow dots, and larger red dots) To be honest, even if it were smaller low-poly models - if they could use actual models, it would have been much more visually interesting.... or perhaps even a SRW style of cut scenes or what not.

Pejo

Nice surprise, my game showed up earlier than expected, and it came with the little art book. I won't have a chance to dig in until Friday, but I'm looking forward to it.

Danjin44

To be honest, even if it were smaller low-poly models - if they could use actual models, it would have been much more visually interesting.... or perhaps even a SRW style of cut scenes or what not.
When you on them they show picture of the enemy and when you choosing which weapon to use they show you nice animation previewing your attacks. But mostly you can tell between airborne enemies and heavy ground enemies.

Danjin44

I forgot Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a thing. Is it worth getting if I have Odin Sphere for Ps2?
OOOOH Yeah! they did nice change to combat system and has much better performance than PS2 version and if you don't like the new combat system you can still choose the "classic mode".

Last edited:

lachesis

When you on them they show picture of the enemy and when you choosing which weapon to use they show you nice animation previewing your attacks. But mostly you can tell between airborne enemies and heavy ground enemies.

I noticed it in certain parts but didn't know what activated it. LOL... - I think I am missing those part because I'm panicking as I still don't feel too confident in battles (although they are quite easy at this point)

Every time I try to move my cursor, the enemies start attacking and moving and stuff and my heart starts to race and hardly recognize anything. I should calm down and see what they are. ;)

I am actually pretty good at turn-based strategy games like Advanced wars and all (got all S rank on every single ones easily) - but when it comes down to real-time, or should I say part-real time gameplay... --; (gotta git gud...)

Pejo

Soooo good!!
Kinda off topic for this thread, but you gotta show the best character:

This is partly what bums me out so much that 13 Sentinels is a RTS game. I feel like Vanillaware really nailed 2D combat between this, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown. I wanted some Heavy 2D mecha action with weighted hits and something like a 2D dark souls - where every attack requires a commitment in animation time and recovery.

Still excited to experience the story though.

Pejo

I'm actually find RTS combat pretty fun, so I have no issue with it, Vanillaware wanted to make another RTS game ever since GrimGrimoire.
Yep, totally understand the appeal and I'll give it a fair shake. For what it's worth, Grim Grimoire I couldn't get into the few times I tried, besides the stellar art of course. Grand Knight's History is probably due for a remake/sequel soon I'd imagine. Wouldn't mind seeing current Vanillaware's take on a true JRPG.

I bought this because I wanted complete Vanillaware PS4 collection.
To celebrate the release of 13 Sentinels, I picked up a copy of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir since it was on sale (currently) to go along with my copy of Dragon's Crown Pro. Add in my copy of Muramasa on the Wii with a digital cop[y of GrimGrimoire on the PS3, and I'm getting close to a complete USA collection of Vanillaware software.

Here's to the release of 13 Sentinels!!!

mcz117chief

Vanillaware focused on the story for this game, some says this game is 80% story and 20% tower defense
I enjoy a nice story and all but I like a bit of game with my game too. I hope there is more than just 20%. I got the latest Azur Lane game and that is just a VN with a bit of gameplay added but I hope this isn't as non-game as that.

Danjin44

I enjoy a nice story and all but I like a bit of game with my game too. I hope there is more than just 20%. I got the latest Azur Lane game and that is just a VN with a bit of gameplay added but I hope this isn't as non-game as that.
Once you get past the Prologue, you free to do more battle or play more story section.

Does this game have multiple endings? I got mine waiting until I finish with Yakuza 3 remastered, but I'm not a fan of getting bad endings after investing 40h so if it has multiple endings I'll use a guide

mcz117chief

Lol, my store pushed the release back again to 9th of October :D That is what you get for trying to support your local mom'n'pop shops.

edit: I'll just buy it digital I suppose.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Ohh god, it looks so beautiful :messenger_smiling_hearts: Is there a proper artbook release?
For now we only get 36-page art book but I hope one day we get art book that has the art for all Vanillaware games, same way we got one for Dragon Quest.
GUEST_b4f1dbcc-86b5-497a-b2a3-9ae563f09987

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Really glad to see Vanillaware publishing stateside again. This looks pretty interesting and off-the-beaten-path for their typical fare...

JohannCK

Just reposting interviews and stuff:

I don't know if there are more cases of this in the game but there's one character that had some lines rewritten to seemingly indicate
that they are non-binary when that's not in the original Japanese text. This character apparently only crossdresses as a disguise but that's changed in the English text.

Spoilered images below.

aKP1Uvv.jpg

dK7nP4T.jpg

DjMystix

I've been trying too convince myself to pull he trigger but the question is, is it really worth $60? IMO Odin's Sphere was absolutely not when it came out. I just got Mafia for $40 and it looks like it could've been a $60 game and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Super interested in experiencing the story though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I've been trying too convince myself to pull he trigger but the question is, is it really worth $60? IMO Odin's Sphere was absolutely not when it came out. I just got Mafia for $40 and it looks like it could've been a $60 game and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Super interested in experiencing the story though.
Thats up to you, there are reviews and gameplay videos for you to decide. For me.....ABSOLUTELY!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom