• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

lachesis

Finally passed the tutorial part - and I like the battles now. It would be still nicer to have a bit of SRW esque icons or sort, but it is what it is.... at least I'm not panicking in RTS situation! (probably because it was Tutorial... and easy... lol)

Been pursuing some more story on Juro's storyline. Ungrateful bastard who doesn't know how lucky his living situation is, lol... It feels like old text-based adventure game with different branching point - and it looks like it's going to take me a long time to really unlock all 100% on them and to see the whole picture. Some things, I can already predict a bit, but who knows - I may be completely wrong.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally passed the tutorial part - and I like the battles now. It would be still nicer to have a bit of SRW esque icons or sort, but it is what it is.... at least I'm not panicking in RTS situation! (probably because it was Tutorial... and easy... lol)

Been pursuing some more story on Juro's storyline. Ungrateful bastard who doesn't know how lucky his living situation is, lol... It feels like old text-based adventure game with different branching point - and it looks like it's going to take me a long time to really unlock all 100% on them and to see the whole picture. Some things, I can already predict a bit, but who knows - I may be completely wrong.
I personally LOVING the relationship between each characters, I'm kind of jumping between each character and then doing couple battles, I honestly really liking the combat.

Last edited:

lachesis

I personally LOVING the relationship between each charactesr, I'm kind of jumping between each character then doing couple battles, I honestly really liking the combat.

I think I may just do that too. But as soon as I see that branch... feel like I need to pursue at least to that "mandatory" stops in all... :)

Thinking about buying Yakisoba Pan from Mitsuwa this weekend... or make some myself. Haven't had that for a long time...

mcz117chief

I've been trying too convince myself to pull he trigger but the question is, is it really worth $60? IMO Odin's Sphere was absolutely not when it came out. I just got Mafia for $40 and it looks like it could've been a $60 game and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Super interested in experiencing the story though.
Well I spent $120 and I am not regretting it one bit. I would happily pay $500 if they had an edition like that, hell, I'd pay a $1000.
Thinking about buying Yakisoba Pan from Mitsuwa this weekend... or make some myself. Haven't had that for a long time...
I love them too. I was also thinking of making them over the weekend 🤣

Last edited:

Danjin44

think I may just do that too
There is no "right" way to play it, in this game you are free to approach it however you want.

Well I spent $120 and I am not regretting it one bit.
Was there a collectors edition I didn't know about!?
tenor.gif

Last edited:

lachesis

I love them too. I was also thinking of making them over the weekend 🤣

Greatest invention from Post War Japan, my man! :D

There is no "right" way to play it, in this game you are free to approach it however you want.

And I think that's one of the wonder of this game (besides beautiful 2d gfx) - that you can approach the game however you want, almost like a quasi Sandbox open world game of old-school text-driven adventure game. To think about how the writer had to put all these fragmented pieces together in interesting manner, with minimal or no plot holes, and on top of that not to break the game's flow itself & story telling in the Destruction part - it must've been quite a challenge.

Komatsu

I heard the work load was too much and at that time the Vita was mostly dead.

Perhaps, but this game could have easily run on Vita's SoC (ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor and a quad-core GPU SGX543MP4+, which could pump around 28GFLOPS).

lachesis

I've been trying too convince myself to pull he trigger but the question is, is it really worth $60? IMO Odin's Sphere was absolutely not when it came out. I just got Mafia for $40 and it looks like it could've been a $60 game and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Super interested in experiencing the story though.

I can see that this game is not everyone's cup of tea. If you like reading manga and also like old text-driven adventure style of game - I highly recommend it. RTS battle is, at least for me, is a nice bonus to change the pace - but I wouldn't call this game a RTS game. :)

It's more or less targeted rather narrow audience target in the West. I do have pretty high tolerance for high-school melodrama cringes, and the game definitely touches upon that specific part in some cases - but story itself seems to be (at least) well thought out and well distributed, and it feels like I'm solving a big piece of zig-saw puzzle.

If you are not sure, maybe you can wait for its price drop for 40 bucks or so? TBH, I preordered this long time ago because that I heard some praises about the game's story structure, and also liked the illustration... and now I'm enjoying it, and since I only buy a handful brand new games per year - I really don't care if I pay 60 dollars for one game that I'd like to play.... and that's just me. :) (I tend to buy games that I missed out on discounted sale prices too.)

Danjin44

Perhaps, but this game could have easily run on Vita's SoC (ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor and a quad-core GPU SGX543MP4+, which could pump around 28GFLOPS).
I don’t think the problem wasn’t that game couldn’t run on Vita but rather developer's hands were full with developing the actual game.

Here even George Kamitani himself said, they had tough time making this game.

O2nsRzWXIqAwWxo-dWb2U0F9dMny6foqtv7K9gMz1OATBuuA0Y4UEG4Wyz26D_F_fwPoCRxVqwbx=s640-nd

Last edited:

Komatsu

Now watch how this game gets completely ignored in GOTY awards shows.

Well, Danjin, we're dedicated J-gamers. Most of the games we play don't get that much airplay either way and I'm frankly fine with it. Joji Kamitami is a great example of an oft-ignored genius: Princess Crown was incredible, his Vita games were fantastic, Odin's Sphere was a great side scrolling action title and yet most people don't know or haven't heard of him.

Every once in a while a games catches on fire - Nier: Automata selling millions, Fire Emblem: 3H crossing the 2mil mark, etc. But Japanese gaming is unfortunately a niche interest.

SinDelta

Hearing lots of good stuff about this. Vanillaware is now a studio that has my full attention.

For some reason I am seeing them as almost like a Japanese equivalent to Supergiant Games. Their games are not widely seen as blockbusters (that may be changing with the reception for Hades and 13 Sentinels), but they have insane quality and detail.

JohannCK

Award for excellence at the Japan Game Awards.

Unfortunately lost the designers award to Baba is You and it was never going to be at the top given how that's determined by votes and whatever has the biggest playerbase is highly advantaged there, but better than nothing I guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am enjoying my time with this game. The graphics are pretty simple but everything is drawn, animated and colored so nicely that it looks really good. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the combat since screenshots I saw beforehand made it look pretty dull, but it is quick, snappy and fun. Story has been interesting so far.

McCheese

I don’t think the problem wasn’t that game couldn’t run on Vita but rather developer's hands were full with developing the actual game.

Here even George Kamitani himself said, they had tough time making this game.

O2nsRzWXIqAwWxo-dWb2U0F9dMny6foqtv7K9gMz1OATBuuA0Y4UEG4Wyz26D_F_fwPoCRxVqwbx=s640-nd

That's beautiful, sounds like he poured a lot of himself into this game. I feel guilty waiting for it to go on sale now :p

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I think I may just do that too. But as soon as I see that branch... feel like I need to pursue at least to that "mandatory" stops in all... :)

What is Yakisoba Pan and why is it so good?

mcz117chief

Recipe? Mine never come out good. :(
Don't beat yourself up, mine came out barely edible, although both ma and pa said they were great. I'll keep at it trying to improve the recipe until I can get it right. Better spices and mayo instead of butter will be my next attempt (tommorow). I'll let you know how it went.

protonion

6 hours in.

I love it! The pacing is superb. Jumping back and forth between bite sized parts with different characters works really well.
The presentation is fantastic.

Now for the combat...
It kinda didn't work for me. It was missed opportunity not to do a puzzly turn based system with detailed models. I switched to casual as I don't find it interesting.

Visual novel fans get it now!

Danjin44

6 hours in.

I love it! The pacing is superb. Jumping back and forth between bite sized parts with different characters works really well.
The presentation is fantastic.
Yeah, they did absolutely fantastic job structuring this game, is not easy task to make story about 13 characters like this.

lachesis

What is Yakisoba Pan and why is it so good?

qwFPICW.jpg

It’s Yakisoba -Japanese pan fried savory noodle - in hotdog bun. Lol... literally carb-on-carb.

I wouldn’t use any regular bun though - it needs to be slightly sweet - so I think brioche hotdog buns would work the best.

I bought some ingredients today - so I think I will make some later this week. :p

IIt’s actually pretty strange, and quite uniquely a Japanese combination... I like it, but also it’s pretty forgettable too. Lol

There’s some references in the game about it too. Pretty understandable since food was rare commodity back then. :)

lachesis

lachesis lachesis I'm interested in that futuristic chocolate bar.

I will settle with Megumi's dinner or Hamberg Steak! (I wouldn't mind matching chopsticks either. LOL)

Seriously though - Vanillaware is like Ghibli/Makoto Shinkai of videogames.... that features yummy food.
I can't remember how hungry I got whenever I was playing Oboro Muramasa on my Vita. The animation of biting off those jiggly dangos, down to every single food items had some unique animation to it. As a foodie myself - I love all the food stuff presented in videogames.

I haven't played - but Odin Sphere also had some exquisite food too, right? The game is on my to-buy list soon!

Well, Danjin, we're dedicated J-gamers. Most of the games we play don't get that much airplay either way and I'm frankly fine with it. Joji Kamitami is a great example of an oft-ignored genius: Princess Crown was incredible, his Vita games were fantastic, Odin's Sphere was a great side scrolling action title and yet most people don't know or haven't heard of him.

Every once in a while a games catches on fire - Nier: Automata selling millions, Fire Emblem: 3H crossing the 2mil mark, etc. But Japanese gaming is unfortunately a niche interest.

I'm perfectly fine with Japanese games not getting mainstream attention. Nothing wrong with a niche market as long as its profitable!

Danjin44

I'm perfectly fine with Japanese games not getting mainstream attention. Nothing wrong with a niche market as long as its profitable!
I just wish this game in particular get little more attention. Seriously, I’m currently playing 13 Sentinels and honestly it could very well become one of my favourite game this generation.

I really want to see this become success story like NieR Automata was, 13 Sentinels absolutely deserves it.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
qwFPICW.jpg

It’s Yakisoba -Japanese pan fried savory noodle - in hotdog bun. Lol... literally carb-on-carb.

I wouldn’t use any regular bun though - it needs to be slightly sweet - so I think brioche hotdog buns would work the best.

I bought some ingredients today - so I think I will make some later this week. :p

IIt’s actually pretty strange, and quite uniquely a Japanese combination... I like it, but also it’s pretty forgettable too. Lol

There’s some references in the game about it too. Pretty understandable since food was rare commodity back then. :)
Is there any meat in it or just noodles?

Zheph

Absolutely loving the game so far, around 50% in both "modes" and it's fantastic
I really want to see this become success story like NieR Automata was, 13 Sentinels absolutely deserves it.
Unlikely sadly, the genre is even more niche than Automata

lachesis

In most common form, they put little bit of thinly sliced pork. I've seen other variations where they put seafood (shrimps, squid etc), or chicken/beef too.

Other than that, bunch of other veggies go in - cabbage is most common, also onion/green onion, green sprouts, carrots... and sometimes mushrooms. Depending on who's cooking it.

Ones like in Yakisoba Pan - It's more of cheaper form (so little bit of pork, cabbage, and maybe onion/green onion) - nothing too fancy!

It kinda tastes something similar to ... um... lighter & less greasy version of Lo Mein / Chow Mein.
It also has certain citric flavor to it in its sauce - thanks to Worcestershire sauce and ketchup - although the main base of the flavor is soy sauce and oyster sauce, and sugar.

manfestival

So the story... no spoilers but want to know something.

Is it dark and gritty? Is it surrealism scifi? Is it slice of life with war? Is it a dark comedy? What genres does this game teeter?

HotPocket69

Banned
I only just finished the second tutorial like battle with the chick, but so far aside from the beautiful art style, the best things have been the nurse’s big tits and the soundtrack.

Vanillaware games always have such awesome soundtracks and tits.

Last edited:

Danjin44

So the story... no spoilers but want to know something.

Is it dark and gritty? Is it surrealism scifi? Is it slice of life with war? Is it a dark comedy? What genres does this game teeter?
Kind of all them above....all would say is give it a try. The game start with linear prologue to easy you in to how story works and how the combat works but once the prologue is done it really opens up. You basically have freedom how you go about doing the story and combat.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
In most common form, they put little bit of thinly sliced pork. I've seen other variations where they put seafood (shrimps, squid etc), or chicken/beef too.

Other than that, bunch of other veggies go in - cabbage is most common, also onion/green onion, green sprouts, carrots... and sometimes mushrooms. Depending on who's cooking it.

Ones like in Yakisoba Pan - It's more of cheaper form (so little bit of pork, cabbage, and maybe onion/green onion) - nothing too fancy!

It kinda tastes something similar to ... um... lighter & less greasy version of Lo Mein / Chow Mein.
It also has certain citric flavor to it in its sauce - thanks to Worcestershire sauce and ketchup - although the main base of the flavor is soy sauce and oyster sauce, and sugar.
Sound good. I guess the Worcestershire sauce seeps into the bun to make it less dry?

lachesis

Sound good. I guess the Worcestershire sauce seeps into the bun to make it less dry?

The sauce (combination of Oyster Sauce/Ketchup/Soy Sauce/Sugar/Worcestershire) is definitely there - but you pan fry it until the noodle soaks up the the sauce nicely. Hence Yaki (grilled/saute'ed) Soba (noodle) Pan (Bread). End result is actually not too soggy. The sauce will seep into the bun, but definitely on surface level, not soggy like French Dip.

They normally sell it wrapped in clear plastic wrapping, around room temperature.. so the bun's usually not that dry (from the steam from Yakisoba itself) - but I can see if a very dry bun was used, it would stay quite dry. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game last Friday and finished it on Monday, got the platinum at 46 hours.

Damn this game is good. Probably one of my top games this year.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The sauce (combination of Oyster Sauce/Ketchup/Soy Sauce/Sugar/Worcestershire) is definitely there - but you pan fry it until the noodle soaks up the the sauce nicely. Hence Yaki (grilled/saute'ed) Soba (noodle) Pan (Bread). End result is actually not too soggy. The sauce will seep into the bun, but definitely on surface level, not soggy like French Dip.

They normally sell it wrapped in clear plastic wrapping, around room temperature.. so the bun's usually not that dry (from the steam from Yakisoba itself) - but I can see if a very dry bun was used, it would stay quite dry. :)
Damn! Sounds amazing. Is that available in the US at all?

lachesis

I don't know where you live - It's more of school cafeteria food, or bus/train stop type of food - it's not exactly the type of the food in a restaurant. Yakisoba itself, you may find some of your Japanese restaurants have them on the menu - but not likely as a sandwich.... although I'm sure if you give them buns, they can probably make them for you without any issues. It's one of the most common type of Japanese comfort food (much easier to find a good Okonomiyaki place) - so it shouldn't be too hard. :)

If you are thinking about making some, you should look at any Japanese or Asian grocery stores - they should sell at least all the ingredients ready to cook. There are cup noodle types (I actually like them too - not bad at all with dried veggies in them - although you have to pour out the hot water, and that's the tricky part), and regular conventional instant noodle types, also fresh noodles with either powder/liquid sauce that's ready to be cooked. Of course, you can certainly make the sauce yourself, and use some other types of noodles - although "ramen" type noodles usually work well. Also they sell pre-made yakisoba sauce, so you could buy some of that and use it. It's similar to Tonkatsu sauce, but little bit thinner and also a bit milder I think.

There are tons of recipes out there like above... so I highly recommend trying out if you are hungry for some carb-on-carb comfort food. LOL.

Now I'm heading back to the game - think will try more on the "destruction" part tonight..

JohannCK

Post-release spoiler talk with Kamitani answering questions from people who cleared the game.

Asian supermarkets should have instant yakisoba (made with hot water like other instant noodles) if you aren't inclined to make your own, so all you'd need are those and hot dog buns.

The most common iteration uses pork, seafood is also popular (sometimes both pork and seafood), and though not common in Japan there are places overseas that use chicken (mostly countries with Muslim populations).

Aside from the regular sauce type there's also shio yakisoba which is a salt-based version. Yakisoba pan uses the regular kind, so if you want to use instant yakisoba to make it make sure to get the right type. Regular yakisoba sauce is brown and shio yakisoba's sauce is clear so it's pretty obvious.

Instant yakisoba also occassionally comes in weird gimmicky flavours. There's currently an apple pie flavoured one available and I've heard that it's absolutely disgusting.

BTW, I regularly upload pictures of Japanese food to my twitter if you're interested...

Last edited:
Top Bottom