• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

SinDelta

Unfortunately this game is destined to get overlooked, especially as we are close to next gen, all people can think about is graphics.
I am seeing people say this is a game of the generation title. Its very surprising this game has very much flown under the radar, even with the solid reputation of Vanillaware.

And despite Covid, there were some strong titles released this year (Ghost of Tsushima for me but there are others, and now apparently based on what kind of reception I am seeing 13 Sentinels is up there.)

Last edited:

BlakeofT

Unfortunately this game is destined to get overlooked, especially as we are close to next gen, all people can think about is graphics.
This game is supposed to work on PS5, right? I know thats not what you're saying or implying, but for whatever reason, I don't know the answer to the question already.

Komatsu

Finished yesterday and suffering from intense post-game blues. It kills me to think we’ll have to wait like another decade for Vanillaware to come up with something like this again.

Alphagear

So tempted to get this but theres Ys Origin also being re-released here in the UK.

Not sure which to pick up first.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
13 Sentinels. I love Falcom as much as any other JRPG enthusiast but trust me, I would go with 13 Sentinels.
giphy.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So tempted to get this but theres Ys Origin also being re-released here in the UK.

Not sure which to pick up first.

13 Sentinels consumed me so much I played like 9-10 hours a day straight. No other game has consumed me this much (probably the last one was Animal Crossing).

lachesis

Been moving on with the story line a bit, and also focusing on first few sim battles over and over (raking in some meta chips for upgrading... as I tend to OP myself quite a bit before really progressing) Opened up quite a few characters - still have a few characters I haven't touched upon yet.

Another reference/homage that I got from one of the characters was Yuki Takamiya. I knew she was basically a "Sukeban" (Girl gang)- but even her name is playing off Saki Asamiya from Sukeban Deka - a popular live action series in the 80s.

The first gen Sukeban Deka - Saki Asamiya was played by a Jpop idol/actress named Yuki (由貴 )Saito... pretty well known actress/singer (Hence, Yuki 由貴 -Same Kanji - Takamiya). The black golf gloves she wears is another treadmark of Sukeban Deka (along with that iconic metal Yo-Yo).

The back story of she becoming a deka (detective) - is also very similar, that Saki Asamiya did it to reduce her mother's sentence (IIRC)... in Yuki Takamiaya's case, its to protect her father in prison. Another similarity/homage.

Yuki Takamiya's appearance though - the long haired, high-pony tail, with a short front bang is defintiely copied from 2nd gen Sukeban Deka, played by Yoko Minamino. (OG's hair was similar, but not as long) LOL. Used to be a fan of her back in 80s... although she wasn't much of a singer, had a few catchy songs from well known song writers like Kisugi Takao.

tumblr_njawo4d6vp1qjuzero10_r1_250.gifv

Well, the game has a lot of those nostalgia moments for me - and I feel old that I lived thru that era too. LOL. So far, everything's still pretty shrouded in mystery - and as I open my heart to some characters, then next moment you find out there's some dirt on him/her or not trustworthy etc... It's like playing a detective novel in some way. Especially Yuki Takamiya's case, she is literally playing a Deka (detective) and even has an assistant like Watson (whom I don't like already and suspicious already though.. hmmm.)

Last edited:
Komatsu Komatsu You're so right, Odin Sphere is Vanillaware's take on DMC, which is fantastic. I didn't click with the game mechanics when I first played it, now I'm clearing entire rooms in one combo, so much fun. Then I switch over to 13 Sentinels and it's a visual novel. You're right.

EDMIX

I don't think thats the issue with this game, its clear its very, very niche. Persona 5 didn't look even current gen on PS4 as it was port from the PS3 and that game did millions of units. This is just one of those JPRGs that wasn't going to stand a chance against the other big titles this fall. Consider how much I like the Yakuza series....I'm not buying 7 at launch, I'm already buying a shit ton of games so graphics have nothing to do with that choice... I think the Yakuza games on the dragon engine look AMAZING, but I only have so much time and money.

Maybe one of its sequels will do big things. (if it gets one)

Faithless83 Faithless83 Same. Way too many big titles coming out and so little time. I'll probably pick it up some time next year.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
well I’m currently having a blast with 13 Sentinels and I won’t be playing anything else until I finish that game.

Also I’m not exactly in to F2P games.
It is the closest we'll get to Re Link for free.

Danjin44

Komatsu Komatsu You're so right, Odin Sphere is Vanillaware's take on DMC, which is fantastic. I didn't click with the game mechanics when I first played it, now I'm clearing entire rooms in one combo, so much fun. Then I switch over to 13 Sentinels and it's a visual novel. You're right.
I also LOVED Odin Sphere but GOD DAMN! Im in LOOVE with 13 Sentinels! Easily my favourite Vanillaware game and currently my GOTG
I don't think thats the issue with this game, its clear its very, very niche. Persona 5 didn't look even current gen on PS4 as it was port from the PS3 and that game did millions of units. This is just one of those JPRGs that wasn't going to stand a chance against the other big titles this fall.

Maybe one of its sequels will do big things. (if it gets one)
Well for one 13 Sentinels is a visual novel similar to Zero Escape series and Vanillaware doesn’t really make sequels and this not type of game that will get sequel.

It is the closest we'll get to Re Link for free.
Maybe but after I’m done with 13 Sentinels, I can’t think about any other game. The story is both crazy and brilliant.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I had beaten the game 2 days ago but this evening I went back and platinum’ed it. It was a pain in the butt as some of the mystery files are hidden - you only get those if you clear most bonus objectives. That said, absolutely no regrets. Amazing game. I am still basking in its afterglow.

Well, the game has a lot of those nostalgia moments for me - and I feel old that I lived thru that era too. LOL. So far, everything's still pretty shrouded in mystery - and as I open my heart to some characters, then next moment you find out there's some dirt on him/her or not trustworthy etc... It's like playing a detective novel in some way. Especially Yuki Takamiya's case, she is literally playing a Deka (detective) and even has an assistant like Watson (whom I don't like already and suspicious already though.. hmmm.)

Sci-fi + mindbending plot + Showa jidai nostalgia: what’s not to like? The late Showa Era is one of those time periods, like Weimar Berlin or 60s London, with a clear, distinctive look & feel and the game evokes it very well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Sci-fi + mindbending plot + Showa jidai nostalgia: what’s not to like? The late Showa Era is one of those time periods, like Weimar Berlin or 60s London, with a clear, distinctive look & feel and the game evokes it very well.
The background art in this game is drop dead gorgeous, especially how they done the lighting in some of the scenes.

I would be really sad if this game doesn’t get at very least some kind of recognition in VGA awards shows.

McCheese

Had a tough week so treated myself to this now instead of waiting for a sale.

Played for an hour, lots to take in. Voice acting and characters are really good. Worried in going to get names mixed up a lot and lose track of things.

Story seems straight forward enough so far, time travel to repair stuff, very John Ritter. My early guess is it's all inside some simulation or something, feels very plot twisty already, eluding to all sorts.

Do you ever get options in the story, Or is it very linear? Can I miss out on stuff at all by not picking right memory cloud combinations?

Combat I can't really judge as I've done like 3 battles, reminds me a bit like disgaea with the knockback stuff.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Do you ever get options in the story, Or is it very linear? Can I miss out on stuff at all by not picking right memory cloud combinations?
Once you done with the prologues the game open up and you can approach how you want to go about doing the story and battles.

HotPocket69

Banned
So far I’ve got six or so characters intros finished and man...

It’s super fucking cool, and a super fucking slow burn, and the music is amazing (like all Vware games) and it’s gorgeous but holy shit

What a departure for what these guys have normally done. Good luck getting this up there with niche shit like Automata. Never gonna happen.

I think the battle system is really cool and I get why the character and enemy icons on the battlefield look how they do being ‘85 Japan and all

But goddamn if this game had taken even a FF6 look to it with battles and made it truly turned based. It would’ve been something fucking else.

So far so good though ☺

Last edited:

lachesis

The story is getting pretty wild now. I mean I had suspected some, but so far it's quite something. Most of character stories are over 50% now - except certain key characters that seem to be locked (and been neglecting the battle part - only progressed 2 battles out of entire campaign - as I will be going for all S class, I want to prepare myself as best as I can.... that I already upgraded the Meta chip bonus to Max (2x setting) - so I think Metachip collection would be much quicker now.

Some things start to make more sense - but since all the stories are happening simulatneously, but also in a slightly different time set - so it's a bit confusing - but I'm pretty convinced that it will make pretty good sense towards the end.

I like the voice acting in this game - characters are well picked, but some characters do sound a bit too old-ish for 16yr old kids. I'm pretty certain that I won't need to play 2 times for platinum, but I think I will be watching the event scenes in Japanese to see how the acting compares - but right now, dubbing is quite well done. I would love to hear what the characters from 1940s would sound though. Miura did mention that in 80s, it sounds like some sort of dialect - maybe his voice acting in Japanese may sound in somewhat old fashioned way?

And... Made some Yakisoba Pan. I think I put little too much pork-belly, so it came out a bit greasier than I wanted to make, but Fat + Carb + Salt, sugar and acidity... how can you go wrong? :D (Definitely not a work-out food... )

bKXzct7.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This looks fucking amazing. Almost makes me want to get a PS4 - might wait and see if there’s a port or if it goes on PSNow though.

Komatsu

Good food to go along with a good game.. That's when you realize that life is good.

This game would go very well on the PC, unfortunately Vanillaware is not big on porting their console titles. Hopefully SEGA demurs.

Danjin44

This game would go very well on the PC, unfortunately Vanillaware is not big on porting their console titles. Hopefully SEGA demurs.
I wouldn’t mind see this game gets released in other platforms. It needs get exposure as much as possible. This game severely getting overlooked and that a real shame.

SinDelta

tenor.gif

Enjoy! Wish I could play it again for the first time.
Vary rare is the game I pay full price for. It takes a certain kind of "tell" and near unanimous praise to convince me a game is that worthy. Mass Effect 3 taught me a very harsh lesson in that.

Breath of the Wild turned out pretty amazing, one of of the best games I've ever experienced.

Ghost of Tsushima too.

Now onto 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

lachesis

Just came back from playing more on the story - some characters over 80 percent done, but overall a bit more than halfway point. I think at certain point of time, the game will force to play the battle part before I need to progress further - so I'll progress as much as I can, then go to the battle in one shot. I am interested where the battles storyline would exactly fall in the grand scheme of the story... I am suspecting it's toward the end of the game to find out exactly.

I'm beginning to wonder, how deep the rabbit hole is going to go down... It's like one thing after another added on top. As individual plot themselves, they are not so quite original - but the execution and pure mash-up of all those different plots are quite something. Really looking forward how the story will wrap itself up.

mcz117chief

Wish I could play it again for the first time.
I never understood this sentiment. Did you not enjoy your time with the game? Do you want all your memories of the game erased? Are they really that worthless to you? I would never want to lose my memories of the games I played.

McCheese

I'm about 70% in both the story and battle modes now.

Getting some serious Dark City vibes from the story, but I suspect it's not done head fucking me yet.

Battle mode is a waste of time, it's so easy on normal mode. Is there any benefit in turning the difficulty up? Achievements or something?

I throw down auto turrets and spam carriers and just sit back and watch the bad guys light up. The game is too generous with the upgrades so it's easy to pour them into a couple of mechs and end up over powered.

PSN says 30% of folks who played the game have the platinum trophy, seems way higher than average, barely anyone finished last of us 2 if the trophy scores are accurate.

Danjin44

I never understood this sentiment. Did you not enjoy your time with the game? Do you want all your memories of the game erased? Are they really that worthless to you? I would never want to lose my memories of the games I played.
He means experiencing the story for the first time again and I know that feeling very well.

I'm beginning to wonder, how deep the rabbit hole is going to go down... It's like one thing after another added on top. As individual plot themselves, they are not so quite original - but the execution and pure mash-up of all those different plots are quite something. Really looking forward how the story will wrap itself up.
You can see some of the story inspiration come from, like Amiguchi talking to idol in TV and finding outer walls is very Megazone 23.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Getting some serious Dark City vibes from the story, but I suspect it's not done head fucking me yet.

it's funny that while playing, i decided to watch Dark City with my brother during my gaming break, and while I was watching, I was like "this is so Aegis Rim".

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I think you might be taking it too literally. It's just an expression of how wonderful it'll be for the person playing it for the first time - because the first time is always the best, that moment of discovery, the little surprises, the slow realisation that you're experiencing greatness.

mcz117chief

I think you might be taking it too literally. It's just an expression of how wonderful it'll be for the person playing it for the first time - because the first time is always the best, that moment of discovery, the little surprises, the slow realisation that you're experiencing greatness.
Yeah, but the memory of it all is the reason why it is so good. Like for example, one of my favorite games of all time is Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Divinity Original Sin. I can't replay those games because I feel like they were an event in my life and re-playing them would just overwrite all the great memories.

Top Bottom