• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 year old internet game addict commits suicide

bitwise

Banned
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-05/31/content_3023991.htm

BEIJING-- A recent case of suicide by a boy addicted to Internet games has increased the public's concern over the issue of Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD).

Xiao Yi, a 13-year-old from Tianjin, committed suicide thinking that he would meet his friends from cyber space after he died.

He jumped from the top of a 24-storey high-rise, Beijing Youth Daily reported yesterday.

He left four notes before he committed suicide. In the letters Xiao, playing the role of a character from a computer game, said that he wanted to meet three friends who also played the game in paradise.

He did not even mention his parents in the letters.

His father is reported to have said that his child had been a good student until he became addicted to computer games. The boy was studying at a key junior high school, and before he became interested in computer games, he scored high marks in all his exams.

But afterwards, he hardly ever passed a test.

"My kid was like someone taking drugs who could not control himself," said his father.

"His mother and I were very worried about him. But we knew little about the Internet and we did not know how to save him."

His father also recalled that his son would sometimes stay out for one or two nights, spending all his time playing computer games in Internet bars.

The last time his parents found him in a cyber cafe, Xiao Yi had not had any food for two days. He is said to have made a tearful confession to his father, saying that he had been poisoned by the games and could not control himself.

Experts say that attention should be raised about the issue among young people, who are vulnerable to IDA.

According to a survey conducted by Beijing Normal University in 2002, among 600 students at secondary schools in Beijing's nine districts, 88 per cent had played electronic games and 24 per cent had played Internet games.

About 23 per cent of respondents admitted that they spent three to six hours playing games every day. And 7 per cent of those surveyed said that they had played continuously for more than 20 hours, Beijing Youth Daily said.

People diagnosed as IAD find it hard to stop playing computer games.

Liu Min, an official from the China Software Industry Association, told Beijing Youth Daily that many students are burdened with their studies. Because of a lack of ways to relax, most of them turn to computer games.

In the hypothetical world created by such games, they become confident and gain satisfaction, which they cannot get in the real world, he said.

Shen Qiyun, a professor at Beijing Normal University, who has studied the influence on teenagers of such games since 2001, said that currently 80 per cent of computer games are imported from abroad, half of which are related to a "demon world," martial arts and violence, which are not healthy influences on teenagers.

Qian Niping, aged 15 and studying at a junior second school in Beijing, said, "It is interesting and exciting to play the games together with other people online. Sometimes we spend a lot of time playing the games to get better. Then we can show off our achievements to our classmates."

The country has strengthened its supervision and management of computer games. A special committee was set up last year by the Ministry of Culture to examine computer games from abroad

Amir0x

Banned
He's 13 years old. If it was getting that serious as his Dad indicated, it's time to cut the kid off from internet access no matter how difficult it might be on him.

Of course, it's easy for me to be a sideline referee, but it just seems stupid that they let it get that far.

There were a couple of teen suicides in my hometown a few years back, but apparently the police later discovered that they were accidental deaths from autoerotic asphyxiation.

Probably not the case here.

Teddman

Wow, that's sad and bizarre.

Any other stories about people who have gotten so addicted to computer games that they exclude everything else from their lives? I'm talking pizza boxes stacked to the ceiling kind of people.

Bebpo

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
There were a couple of teen suicides in my hometown a few years back, but apparently the police later discovered that they were accidental deaths from autoerotic asphyxiation.

Read it on another forum, but like i said i aint shocked. If parents dont take the time to rise up their own children in a righteous or right way, then most likely when they grow up or whatever, they will do unrighteous things.

So RIP and we carrry on.....

jiggle

Kobun Heat said:

wow

Sure it sounds like he was playing the games a dangerous amount and all, but what/who put the idea in his head that he'd meet up with his online pals in the afterlife?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Sure it sounds like he was playing the games a dangerous amount and all, but what/who put the idea in his head that he'd meet up with his online pals in the afterlife?

Doom.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Amir0x said:
He's 13 years old. If it was getting that serious as his Dad indicated, it's time to cut the kid off from internet access no matter how difficult it might be on him.

Of course, it's easy for me to be a sideline referee, but it just seems stupid that they let it get that far.

"His father also recalled that his son would sometimes stay out for one or two nights, spending all his time playing computer games in Internet bars. "

im guessing they tried, but they couldnt stop him from sneaking off to those internet bars.

7 percent of all students having played 20 hours continously? _I_ have never played that long and I've been a hardcore gamer for 18 years. And 23 percent playing 3-6 hours a day? That's way more than I play.

This is propaganda. There's no way those numbers can be real. It doesn't help that the paper is called Beijing Youth Daily.

Tabris

SiegfriedFM said:
7 percent of all students having played 20 hours continously? _I_ have never played that long and I've been a hardcore gamer for 18 years. And 23 percent playing 3-6 hours a day? That's way more than I play.

This is propaganda. There's no way those numbers can be real. It doesn't help that the paper is called Beijing Youth Daily.

A) Different country/culture.
B) Young students.

I know when I was a kid, after I came back from hanging out with friends after school, I would watch tv for like 3 hours or more. These kids are probabaly just playing video games instead of tv.

I am curious what game it was.

Well, not necessarily what game, but what genre? (MMORPG like Lineage, FPS ie Counter Strike.)

Do they have "pc bangs" in China?

Amir0x

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
"His father also recalled that his son would sometimes stay out for one or two nights, spending all his time playing computer games in Internet bars. "

im guessing they tried, but they couldnt stop him from sneaking off to those internet bars.

Imho, that sounds like an excuse. Again, I'm not a parent so I'm only speaking as an outside observer, but he's 13. If he was getting that bad, there had to be numerous ways he could have been stopped.

Teddman

C'mon, tell me stories about people you know so addicted to MMORPG's that they never left the house. I know you folks have them...

Dave Long

Banned
It's sad because it seems like the parents didn't know what to do to help him even though it seems so obvious. Take away the computer time, regulate it, whatever... just don't allow the addiction. If he's out all night in cyber cafes, there's a bigger problem there than just him playing games. Where were the parents when he didn't come home?!

Senretsu

UltraMagnanimous said:
Chinese government anti-internet propaganda. Just so you know.

Same thing came to my mind when I ready the story. I just read yesterday that after June 30th it will be against the law for any chinese based website to operate without registering with the government and providing full contact information, and not only that but they cannot publish any "sensitive" news. Sheesh. and I thought we get censored bad here in the US.

Tabris

Dave Long said:
It's sad because it seems like the parents didn't know what to do to help him even though it seems so obvious. Take away the computer time, regulate it, whatever... just don't allow the addiction. If he's out all night in cyber cafes, there's a bigger problem there than just him playing games. Where were the parents when he didn't come home?!

To be fair, for this kid, it's the same as some kid who's going out for days and doing a bunch of drugs.

basik

Senretsu said:
Same thing came to my mind when I ready the story. I just read yesterday that after June 30th it will be against the law for any chinese based website to operate without registering with the government and providing full contact information, and not only that but they cannot publish any "sensitive" news. Sheesh. and I thought we get censored bad here in the US.

hes right, I saw this news story too. and they can censor websites and emails but I bet it would be damn near impossible to catch what everyone says in online games.

_Angelus_

Banned
I can't even play a game for more than 90 minutes before i need a looooong break. Maybe thats the ticket though? Enjoy your games,but space them between your daily life abit.

Acosta

Sure, in a country like China with 1200 mill of population will be easy to contrast such an story...

It's incredibly made up, is too convenient: the good boy that becomes addicted, the "I´m poisoned by games", an of couse, the big problem and the only thing I believe from that new: "80 per cent of computer games are imported from abroad".

"Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD)"

Give me a break, and this is the country that is going to lead S.XXI?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Poor kid probably thought he was going to warp back to a base or run his ghost back to his body and wait 10 minutes to shake of resurrection sickness.

jimbo

Banned
While this is tragic, I have to say, when I was 13 I wasn't nearly that fucking stupid. I stopped believing in fairy tale lands, teleporting, and meeting people in other fantasy worlds when I was bout 6 or 7. Clearly videogames were not that kids main problems. He had other issues.

llTll

Banned
Teddman said:
C'mon, tell me stories about people you know so addicted to MMORPG's that they never left the house. I know you folks have them...

well.. i was so addicted to Fanstasy star online in DC when it was free to play. i used to play like 9 hours a day [ maybe even more ]

but i guess that was because it was the first game i play online with friends.

i dont spend that much time playing xbox live. not even 1/4 that time i spent on DC.

or maybe because i like phantasy star online. who knows what will happen to me when i buy the PS2 game

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If your kid is staying out all night, you have a problem. If your kid is staying out all night at an internet cafe...you'll never be grandparents...ever...ever!

Top Bottom