• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films To See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charred Greyface said:
One man's chronicle of 2009-2010 Academy Screeners and other freebies received

then VCDQ to keep you in the loop when the dvds are eventually leaked.

May the Gods be good to us this year.

ps Is Heath Ledger in the The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I don't want to be spoiled until I get to the cinema

Edit: Sorry, Is Heath Ledger in the trailer for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?

892cap012.jpg

Solo

Just Avatar, Holmes, and Up In The Air for me. The Lovely Bones is a January wide release, so most (including myself) wont see it until then.

Gary Whitta said:
I can't wait for next month's thread :lol

When there is nothing really worth seeing outside of The Lovely Bones and maybe Edge of Darkness?

:p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
fistfulofmetal said:
I still don't know if I want to go see Avatar. I'm sort of nervous about the quality of my IMAX 3D also.

In addition to that, I still haven't even seen The Road. So much for a November release.

If you're worried about the quality of your IMAX, check it out on a digital 3D screen.

The Road probably won't go very wide. The Weinstein Company is pretty strapped for cash.

Weenerz said:
None of them look very impressive is all, not quite sure where you are coming from with that Transformers reference, is it because I don't like all of the movies you like that I must be a dolt in your eyes?

No, I just don't see how ALL 14 other films are things to completely "avoid." It's funny how someone can write a number of films off so easily without giving anything a try. It's pretty ignorant.

Krev said:
If you're worried about the quality of your IMAX, check it out on a digital 3D screen.

If I'm going to see AVATAR, it's gonna be at IMAX.

And I just checked the IMAX/LIEMAX google maps thing and they finally updated to include the one near me. Confirmed to be legit IMAX so there's no worry there anymore.

bud

xrich said:
aquamanboxoffice.gif

if Cameron can do that with Aquaman he can do it with Avatar.

after reading about aquaman on gaf a couple of years ago, i went to cameron's imdb page... it wasn't listed. i remember being confused.

mYm|17|

o yea sherlock holmes and avatar are my most wanted to see>

I wasn't impressed with avatar at the beginning, but after seeing the trailer at the movies so many times, i can't wait to see it now

fistfulofmetal said:
If I'm going to see AVATAR, it's gonna be at IMAX.

And I just checked the IMAX/LIEMAX google maps thing and they finally updated to include the one near me. Confirmed to be legit IMAX so there's no worry there anymore.
sometimes I find IMAX to be overwhelming. I'm doing digital 3D first, then IMAX :)

shuyin_

Banned
polyh3dron said:
-Sherlock BADASS BLACK BELT SUPER HERO Holmes - Looks like a fun popcorn movie (not a real Sherlock movie though, lol)
Never seen a Guy Ritchie movie, have you? Sure, he's had a few misses (blame Madonna :p ) but he is known for making the best (as in smartest, funniest, *est) gangster-comedies you've ever watched in your life.

Though, you may be right in it being different from what you'd expect of a SH movie, you should trust Guy Ritchie.

we dont know if avatar will be a triumphant return yet or not.. im leaning towards nope.

Up in the Air will watch again for sure. Probably check out Sherlock Holmes, too.

Double D

I'd like to see Avatar in the theaters. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight, so I'll see what I can arrange.

Binabik15

I´m going to see Avatar and Up. Hey, I didn´t know that they butchered it´s name and already play it in Germany :/

I don´t go to the cinema very often, last movie I saw was Transformers 2
and I loved all the explosions :p

Solo said:
Just Avatar, Holmes, and Up In The Air for me. The Lovely Bones is a January wide release, so most (including myself) wont see it until then.

When there is nothing really worth seeing outside of The Lovely Bones and maybe Edge of Darkness?

:p
Don't forget The Spy Next Door!

Seeing Avatar, The Lovely Bones, Sherlock Holmes, and Dr. Parnassus. I might see The White Ribbon if it's playing in the area. Lots of films this month with limited releases is going to be a problem.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
The only interesting one for me is Sherlock Holmes, but I'll probably wait until I can just rent it.

lol.

Nice list, as always though.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DanielPlainview said:
No, I just don't see how ALL 14 other films are things to completely "avoid." It's funny how someone can write a number of films off so easily without giving anything a try. It's pretty ignorant.

Yeah like someone automatically writing off the new MOTHERFUCKING HUGH GRANT movie Plainview!!!! Haha.

Raxus

Will see:
Princess and the Frog
Avatar (I have my doubts though)
Up in the Air
Sherlock Holmes (Been warming up to the movie and it looks like fun will see with a friend)
Nine

AlternativeUlster said:
Yeah like someone automatically writing off the new MOTHERFUCKING HUGH GRANT movie Plainview!!!! Haha.
Ignoring 14 promising films is much different then ignoring a very few that look terrible. I'll eventually see them and eat crow if warranted. I did it with 17 Again, which turned out to be very fun.

shuyin_ said:
Never seen a Guy Ritchie movie, have you? Sure, he's had a few misses (blame Madonna :p ) but he is known for making the best (as in smartest, funniest, *est) gangster-comedies you've ever watched in your life.

Though, you may be right in it being different from what you'd expect of a SH movie, you should trust Guy Ritchie.
Oh I am a guy Ritchie fan, don't get it twisted. I think it'll end up being good. Hey I did say I was going to see it.

Edit: Oh snap, I just rsvp'd for a Parnassus screening on Friday, I'll let you guys know how it is.

polyh3dron said:
-Sherlock BADASS BLACK BELT SUPER HERO Holmes - Looks like a fun popcorn movie (not a real Sherlock movie though, lol)
??

Isn't the film supposed to be more faithful to the Holmes of Doyle's books than any production before it?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
John Dunbar said:
I also like Nine's poster:

[/IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2d1mzxt.png[/IMG]

Silly tagline, but otherwise pretty cool.
Really? I think that poster is an absolutely ugly trainwreck.

AlternativeUlster

DanielPlainview said:
Ignoring 14 promising films is much different then ignoring a very few that look terrible. I'll eventually see them and eat crow if warranted. I did it with 17 Again, which turned out to be very fun.

Never forget Bandslam man. Never forget.

Also Imaginirum I think is worse than the Brothers Grimm. I saw it a couple of months ago.

AlternativeUlster

ToxicAdam said:
I think in order to bribe my wife to see Avatar or Sherlock Holmes, I will have to make a sacrifice and see Nine.

It is about Fellini making 8 1/2 and has mother fucking Daniel Day Lewis in it, why on earth would you not want to see it?

AlternativeUlster said:
It is about Fellini making 8 1/2 and has mother fucking Daniel Day Lewis in it, why on earth would you not want to see it?

What? I'm pretty sure that it's just a musical version of 8 1/2; Daniel Day-Lewis is playing Guido Contini, according to Wiki. Am I off-base here?

AlternativeUlster said:
Never forget Bandslam man. Never forget.

Also Imaginirum I think is worse than the Brothers Grimm. I saw it a couple of months ago.

I actually haven't seen Bandslam, seems nobody did, was it that good? Also, one of my writers saw Imaginarium at Cannes and really liked it.

AlternativeUlster

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
What? I'm pretty sure that it's just a musical version of 8 1/2; Daniel Day-Lewis is playing Guido Contini, according to Wiki. Am I off-base here?

Oh wait it is. Damn. That would have been way more meta. Oh well. I am still excited to see this.

AlternativeUlster

DanielPlainview said:
I actually haven't seen Bandslam, seems nobody did, was it that good? Also, one of my writers saw Imaginarium at Cannes and really liked it.

Nah, I didn't see it either. But it did have like 80 percent fresh rating. I dislike most movies by the way but the buzz at Fantastic Fest wasn't good.

Good list.

Most Interested:
The Lovely Bones
Up in the Air
Nine
Invictus maybe
and I might see the White Ribbon if it's still on next weekend.

Irish Releases of
(Where the Wild Things Are)
(The Road)
(The Box)

I really doubt Sherlock Holmes will even be a half decent bit of fun, the trailer made me want to gouge my eyes with a particularly blunt spoon.

I did see the Imaginarium in October and it's a great, glorious mess of a film BUT I expect most people will hate it. Certainly, its uneasiness (and rough edges) are a far cry from the polished spoon feeding most cinema goers expect.

Rustymonke said:
Good list.

Most Interested:
The Lovely Bones
Up in the Air
Nine
Invictus maybe
and I might see the White Ribbon if it's still on next weekend.

Irish Releases of
(Where the Wild Things Are)
(The Road)
(The Box)

I really doubt Sherlock Holmes will even be a half decent bit of fun, the trailer made me want to gouge my eyes with a particular blunt spoon.

I did see the Imaginarium in October and it's a great, glorious mess of a film BUT I expect most people will hate it. Certainly, its uneasiness (and rough edges) are a far cry from the polished spoon feeding most cinema goers expect.

What about Sherlock Holmes looks so terrible? My roommate said the same thing, but I think it looks quite fun.

Furoba

I just saw The departed / Okuribito, what a surprise!
One of the best movies I've seen in a good while, don't miss out on it.

Zutroy

I'm looking forward to Lovely Bones after seeing the trailer in the cinema tonight. Will also probably see Princess and the Frog, and Christmas Carol.

I might see Avatar as well. Looks pretty bad to me, but after been bombarded with trailers of it at every film I've seen for months, I might check it out.

Also, I'm really excited for The Lovely Bones. I thought the trailer looked really bad the first time that I saw it, but I watched it again the other night and changed my opinion entirely. I'm especially excited for the middle world bits, which I assume will be visually gorgeous. Is there any advance word on the movie that anybody has heard?

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Also, I'm really excited for The Lovely Bones. I thought the trailer looked really bad the first time that I saw it, but I watched it again the other night and changed my opinion entirely. I'm especially excited for the middle world bits, which I assume will be visually gorgeous. Is there any advance word on the movie that anybody has heard?

It's got some mixed reviews on RT but I particularly excited for it because of this review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom