• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrecord - Official Early Gameplay Trailer (Unreal Engine 5-powered body-cam FPS)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't know what you're talking about. I hope the game DOES release. I think you're reading into this a little bit more than you think you are lol. I hope this game releases and does well, because it looks awesome. But I do see some of the things the other dude was talking about. They're very small issues, but they're there.

Critiquing =/= we think it's bad. Which brings me back to my original point. People think that critiquing small things like this automatically assumes that the game is bad. Which is far from the case. But, go on...keep being wrong dude. I support you.
Whatever dude I lost enough time with this. If you don't want to understand what I mean, you wont for sure. Have a nice day.

But, go on...keep being wrong dude. I support you.

Also Alexios , why are you so triggered? lmao
The condescension is very strong here I see. But it goes with the person I suppose.
"lmao"

Nice idea that is looking well executed, environment and lighting especially nice. I'll reserve judgement on the gameplay but I generally just hate ADS in any FPS so having something "realistic" with the aiming or random just pisses me off really. I'm here to play games not deal with blocked visuals on my target or perfectly physics based recoil/bloom. The realism aspect is awesome for the bodycam immersion effects and the production value looks insane but as for being fun for hours on end like a core FPS experience I'm not so sure it's for me.

I'm curious how it goes and will track it to release, respect for having a clear vision and executing on it well to the devs.

Besides the incredible lighting, the dynamic first person animations, fisheye cam, and head movements do a ton for the realism. But yeah I don't see how that's possible with a controller or mouse. It's gotta be head tracking of some sort.

This has leaped over the uncanny valley, it's too real. Even though it's just a guy shooting enemies in a boring abandoned building, the realism of it is too intense for me. I feel I'm watching a real marine op or some gun nut massacre instead of a game, and it feels wrong.

E-Cat

It looks very realistic/photorealistic, but lightning is still rough. No RT, no shadows in the characters, lacking AO. Some furniture objects have very low geometry, like the final coach, which is basically a cube, and enemies are not that good.
”Lighting still rough” lmao, are you fking kidding me? This might be photogrammetry assets made into an FMV-like ”interactive” experience. Literally can’t have better lighting than the real world.

Fire fights look like bullshit real footage QTEs, w/ minimal user input.

Last edited:
Looks cool but it will probably run at like 25fps on consoles. If it is even able to run on consoles.

Lets just wait until 10th gen for these graphics so we don't go back to 30fps and lower being the norm.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Besides the incredible lighting, the dynamic first person animations, fisheye cam, and head movements do a ton for the realism. But yeah I don't see how that's possible with a controller or mouse. It's gotta be head tracking of some sort.

This has leaped over the uncanny valley, it's too real. Even though it's just a guy shooting enemies in a boring abandoned building, the realism of it is too intense for me. I feel I'm watching a real marine op or some gun nut massacre instead of a game, and it feels wrong.
I’m calling it here, this game must literally derive a meaningful portion of its ”graphics” from the real world, one way or another. The eye can tell something is off. This looks fundamentally unlike any other title out there, it must not be without trickery of some sort.

Last edited:

Outlier

PLEASE tell me there will be a VR mode. PLEEEEEEAASSSSEEE!!!!
I Need It Reaction GIF

It's all going to fall flat on the human faces isn't it. That's unless they keep the faces blurred out in the final game.

But so far this is the most realistic game I've ever seen. Just insane.

A lot of people who think this game feels too real and uncomfortable are going to have to buckle up and fasten their seatbelts 2 console generations from now.

E-Cat

A lot of people who think this game feels too real and uncomfortable are going to have to buckle up and fasten their seatbelts 2 console generations from now.
Sounds about right, this is what I expect (actual) games to look like in 2 generations, only less nauseating and w/ better IQ.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I'm interested in how the aiming works in a game like this. It seems a bit chaotic.

Otherwise, it looks promising. Gives me Ready or Not / Zero Hour vibes.
It's just standard FPS with fisheye camera. Since when body cam is mounted in line of aiming devices?

Ribi

Looks cool. Keep in mind that this is an on rails FMV like experience, probably with "free" aiming in particular situations. They are using photo scanned assets and the animations are motion captured sequences. Still, this is very impressive for a small team.
misinformation a few posts into the thread come on...

for everyone saying its on rails... it is not. The dev is a dude who put out a fps vid of similar game last year and this:

Last edited:
It's just standard FPS with fisheye camera. Since when body cam is mounted in line of aiming devices?

The shaky fisheye camera is what makes it look so special. But gameplay with this sort of camera is not fun and once you take it away, it will loose it's ultra-realistic feel. Not to mention the insane motion-sickness that i already get when watching the video alone.
But that doesn't really matter anymore, because the hype is real.

Olimbox

Neo Member
should be playable in vr with the upcoming univeralUE injector, but I'm not sure it makes sense. the camera seems "scripted", so you wont be able to freely look around IMO

hlm666

Uh, I don't think one person is supposed to be doing detective work during engaging hostiles like this, maybe they shouldn't be going for adventure stuff on top of the gunplay. Unless it ends up being some kind of F.E.A.R. like thing rather than realistic missions which would be pretty rad. Looks rad.
That's exactly where that needs to go. Start out like a real kinda thing and devolve into some screwed up horror like situation. The music kinda gives me hopes that's what they are thinking.

StueyDuck

It sounds like you’re thinking of those P.T. ripoffs. Horror is a much more complicated genre.

As long as the campaign has fun set pieces it can work for a shooter.
I'm thinking of most indie games that are made by one or a few people and their rise to fame is a gimmick that get then famous on Twitter.

Then you use the gimmick and go "neat" then get bored of the game because there's nothing else of value and you realise why it's just one developer

thefool

Interaction with photo-realistic environments is a future we are headed and it will be much wider in scope than gaming. Gonna be crazy, just not sure if i'll even be alive by then.

Neo_GAF

Banned
very shit.
1. you play a cop(ACAB?)
2. this game is basically all photogrammetry, nothing else, if you see how rough shadows and anything else is, you know how much this dude has so far done here.
3. it is one person, maybe he should get more people on board.
4. this whole bodycam approach is basically "postal/manhunt-hype but in 2023"

Last edited:

gundalf

Looks cool but it will probably run at like 25fps on consoles. If it is even able to run on consoles.

Lets just wait until 10th gen for these graphics so we don't go back to 30fps and lower being the norm.

It will run on consoles just fine, keep in mind that all lighting is already precomputed into the environment and consoles nowadays have plenty of VRAM for that.

Some people still think it's fake because of the quality. No it's definitely not. But fluid movement gameplay similar to cod and others is simply impossible with this style. Here is another impressive UE5 demo with true photorealism.

Last edited:

Once you sync traditional player input(pad/mouse) with the camera movements, it will break this type of ultra-realism the trailer shows. And you will also need three axes head movements. In Unreal Terms, your mouse/stick has Pitch and Yaw, a VR headset has Pitch, Yaw, Roll. Unless they can somehow defy physical laws, a free movement and free aiming FPS game will not look like the gameplay trailer. As a vertical slice, this is still impressive. No doubt.

I'm thinking of most indie games that are made by one or a few people and their rise to fame is a gimmick that get then famous on Twitter.

Then you use the gimmick and go "neat" then get bored of the game because there's nothing else of value and you realise why it's just one developer
That’s fair to think. I think if he makes this a 5-8 hour experience with good set pieces that don’t repeat, that’s all he needs to make a good shooter. It worked for this game:

maxresdefault.jpg

I feel like on average, fans of first person shooters are more forgiving, as long as your game has a cool factor along with a fun factor.

Top Bottom