• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 reasons why Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a better WRPG than The Witcher 3

Topher

Gold Member
1. Superior melee combat
Far more moves, weapon options and it's just smoother and faster.

2. Superior ranged combat
The crossbow in The Witcher 3 is damn useless whereas the bows in Odyssey are quick, devasting and accurate.

3. More charming protagonist
Kassandra has the charm and grace to match the greatest stars of cinema. Geralt is as miserable and gruff as a fail son at Thanksgiving.

4. Larger map
The map in Odyssey is almost twice the size of The Witcher 3.

5. Better boats
You have a refugee dinghy in TW3. In Odyssey you have a proud ship of war fit for the high seas which can be customized and upgraded extensively.

6. Better story
TW3 you are basically just the backdrop to the story of Ciri and her MacGuffin magic and there is a little political nonsense with characters that barely have any introduction. In Odyssey you roam the greatest era of the greatest civilization while solving the mysteries of your past and influencing the future.

7. Better DLC
The Witcher 3 DLC you chase around a genie and a vampire. In Odyssey you get all new gameplay exploring the mystical land of Atlantis.

8. Better mounts
In odyssey you can customize your mount and your horse is named after the God Phobos, son of Ares. In The Witcher your horse is named after a roach.

9. Better exploration
There is more to see and do in Odyssey. You can climb every mountain and swim to the bottom of the ocean.

10. Better sex
In TW3 you can romance Triss the rat exterminator or Yennifer who takes every opportunity to emasculate poor Geralt while simultaneously being clingy and a shrew. In Odyssey Kassandra bangs whoever she wants with wild abandon.

11. Better Scaling
In TW3 enemies and quests were a set level so therefore were often too easy and gave awful rewards. In Odyssey enemies and rewards scale.

12. Better Upgrades
Weapons and armor can be fully upgraded with many more options and transmog in Odyssey.

13. Better crafting
Instead of making useless "dedoctions" like Witcher 3 crafting in Odyssey focuses on useful things like weapons and ship upgrades.The supplies are more universal and there are more options for obtaining them.

14. Better graphics and performance
Not really debatable. Everything is just that much more beautiful in Odyssey.

15. Better tracking
Instead of following miles of trails and scent marks like in TW3 in Odyssey you follow clues and geography.

16. More epic battles
If you want you can conquer and defeat every army in the Aegean in Odyssey. In TW3 you fight at most a few guys at a time.

17. More dangerous enemies
Start trouble in Odyssey and an endless wave of mercenaries will be sent to track you down and put an end to you. In TW3 your actions have no consequences outside of story beats and a few worthless guards being sent after you.

18. Better stealth
In Odyssey you can become the ultimate assassin slipping silently into a camp and deftly murdering every soul like a whisper on the wind. In TW3 you stomp around clumsily and must fight your way through every situation.

19. Better antagonists
Instead of knocking off the Nazgul from Lord of the Rings like TW3 in Odyssey you pursue a dangerous cult that has infiltrated every level of society.

20. Better setting
The amazing world of ancient Greece is brought to life brilliantly in Odyssey. TW3 has some castles, fields and swamps.

SpicyOrneryAphid-size_restricted.gif

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF
wrong gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen
Loop Trump GIF

Actually, I can agree with these....

2. Superior ranged combat
The crossbow in The Witcher 3 is damn useless whereas the bows in Odyssey are quick, devasting and accurate.

5. Better boats
You have a refugee dinghy in TW3. In Odyssey you have a proud ship of war fit for the high seas which can be customized and upgraded extensively.

16. More epic battles
If you want you can conquer and defeat every army in the Aegean in Odyssey. In TW3 you fight at most a few guys at a time.

18. Better stealth
In Odyssey you can become the ultimate assassin slipping silently into a camp and deftly murdering every soul like a whisper on the wind. In TW3 you stomp around clumsily and must fight your way through every situation.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Odyssey is really reduced down to respecting historic events and getting to see your long lost dad the game overwhelms you with side quests and landmasses but really it's about the combat and finding your dad.

GuinGuin

Banned
haha, better scaling.

As if scaling is good and not the worst mechanic in any RPG.

If a game has level scaling its not worth my time. No matter how good it is in other areas.

You prefer to have 20 leftover quests that aren't worth your time either for rewards or challenge like in the Witcher 3? How is that a good thing?

Guilty_AI

You prefer to have 20 leftover quests that aren't worth your time either for rewards or challenge like in the Witcher 3? How is that a good thing?
not a big fan of the witcher 3 but side-quests were definitely one of the few enjoyable aspects of the game, alongside The Red Baron questline.

Topher

Gold Member
So does Odyssey but they aren't some obscure shit that you need a guide for.

Because most of the "choices" in Odyssey don't have any impact at all. And yet you still need a guide to get the good ending.

Ok.....but then leveling up is really just keeping up. I'm busting my ass grinding and a little wolf is just as hard to kill at level one as it is at level 25.

I'm playing AC: Odyssey again right now and enjoying it, but if Witcher 3 dropped a 60fps patch then AC gets put on the back burner immediately. Witcher 3 is just a richer game. And there is one area where Witcher 3 just demolishes AC:O: writing. AC:O is fun to play but the writing is horrible. Of course, that's every AC game, but Odyssey is especially bad.

GuinGuin

Banned
Because most of the "choices" in Odyssey don't have any impact at all. And yet you still need a guide to get the good ending.

Ok.....but then leveling up is really just keeping up. I'm busting my ass grinding and a little wolf is just as hard to kill at level one as it is at level 25.

I'm playing AC: Odyssey again right now and enjoying it, but if Witcher 3 dropped a 60fps patch then AC gets put on the back burner immediately. Witcher 3 is just a richer game. And there is one area where Witcher 3 just demolishes AC:O: writing. AC:O is fun to play but the writing is horrible. Of course, that's every AC game, but Odyssey is especially bad.

Not really since while they may have more hit points you have far more skills and abilities by the end so dispatching wolves is far easier. I find the writing in Odyssey to be far more interesting and Grounded than Medieval Ghostbusters aka the Witcher.

Rickyiez

The only thing Odyssey does better is Kassandra . Other than that it's a boring greek world with boring enemies . I prefer supernaturals and creatures hunting .

Topher

Gold Member
Not really since while they may have more hit points you have far more skills and abilities by the end so dispatching wolves is far easier. I find the writing in Odyssey to be far more interesting and Grounded than Medieval Ghostbusters aka the Witcher.

It is a wolf. I shouldn't have to break out the bag of tricks to defeat it after all that grinding.

More interesting writing in Odyssey...

Vine Ok GIF

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

odyssey wasn't bad but have this feeling like playing some generic multiplayer missions and main character (played Alexios) was little retarded ;d so its not even close but one thing assasins has better imo is graphic and animation

Last edited:

GymWolf

Origins was an empty dull wasteland with nothing to do and as you said a bad story and characters. Sad I wasted even a minute with that game. Odyssey is addictive and fun with lots to do everywhere.
What you do in odissey is just a rehash of what you do in origins in a far more abused lore\location compared to egypt, dude you clear camps 90% of the times in these games, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.
All the additions were half baked like the wanted system with the "special enemies" or the mass battles.

And since the writing for sidequest is shit in both, it comes to what location you like more between egypt and greece, but many people felt odissey was very copy paste and ultra bloated with his map while orgins's egypt was loved by almost everyone and was the main selling point of the game.

Last edited:

Aesius

AC Odyssey would have been better if it had been 100% focused on hunting down the Cultists. With just a sprinkling of Greek mythology here and there.

GuinGuin

Banned
I prefer leveling up to feel like im getting stronger. If everyone is getting stronger with me, nobody does.

Might as well get rid of leveling altogether.

The leveling serves a purpose. It encourages you to try new and different gear and makes acquiring it more impactful and enjoyable👍

The story in Odyssey was GARBAGE. Completely unimpressive, I played as Alexios so Kassandra as the baddie was unbelievably cringey, Hayden Christensen Star Wars 2 level acting... No real overarching story, it was just a bunch of nothing

Your character had no real identity, it felt like a mish mash of a bunch of characters and personalities. Geralt had much more consistency even with conversation choices

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I agree, OP. Odyssey is my game of the generation. I had more fun with Kassandra than with any other protagonist, and the game was just incessantly fun for me.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, serious post now, I actually loved Odyssey and platinumed and completed 100% of it with the DLC's included.

I just purchased Witcher 3 because the PSN was telling me I could nab the complete edition for 10 bucks. Haven't played yet. Expecting good things.

GuinGuin

Banned
AC Odyssey would have been better if it had been 100% focused on hunting down the Cultists. With just a sprinkling of Greek mythology here and there.

As a student of Greek history I couldn't disagree more. They brought that world to life masterfully. The art and architecture is stunning and seeing all the great characters from history was fantastic. The cult got plenty of attention and the methodical and elaborate ways you have to track them down was very impressive. The eagle makes it a little too easy once you're close but if they didn't have that people would complain it was too hard.

Sulaco

I was initially impressed but then gave up on TW3 when it became clear that Geralt would never stop where I wanted him to and I'd forever be slightly too far away to pick up an item. Never had that problem in the Origins or Odyssey.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's a much better game than witcher 3
The story in Odyssey was GARBAGE. Completely unimpressive, I played as Alexios so Kassandra as the baddie was unbelievably cringey, Hayden Christensen Star Wars 2 level acting... No real overarching story, it was just a bunch of nothing

Your character had no real identity, it felt like a mish mash of a bunch of characters and personalities. Geralt had much more consistency even with conversation choices
No matter how good the story and characters are when the game itself is boring and has nothing addictive to help you progress.

The world structure and biomes in AC is also much more impressive and fun to explore. It's many core game mechanics are varied and satisfying to do.

Vangellis

What truly makes anything great is when its way better than the sum of its parts. It's very hard to quantify. Just enjoy the games that do this for you.

GuinGuin

Banned
I mean, serious post now, I actually loved Odyssey and platinumed and completed 100% of it with the DLC's included.

I just purchased Witcher 3 because the PSN was telling me I could nab the complete edition for 10 bucks. Haven't played yet. Expecting good things.

It was okay at the time. Doesn't really hold up and it's still running at 30fps.

It's a much better game than witcher 3

No matter how good the story and characters are when the game itself is boring and has nothing addictive to help you progress.

The world structure and biomes in AC is also much more impressive and fun to explore. It's many core game mechanics are varied and satisfying to do.
I disagree, Assassins Creed Odyssey was much more dependent on cheap "addiction" techniques to push you to play the game instead of using its narrative and world building. Everything from forcing you to grind levels to reach be able to progress through the current story in a bid to push people into buying transactions, to the lack of there being a "real world" feel to the game.

It felt like you were running on air the entire time, you could jump off the tallest mountain and not suffer any fall damage, the game became unbelievably stale gameplay wise towards the end with too much repetition.

Thats not to say Witcher's gameplay was better by any means, but at least it had one aspect that was able to carry the game forwards and give it a strong foot. Meanwhile Odyssey flopped on everything from combat, to story, to character development.

It was almost like they just decided after Origins that they want you to be able to play the game on autopilot and not have to have any real concern or thought process into how you get somewhere, or how you do something.

Aesius

As a student of Greek history I couldn't disagree more. They brought that world to life masterfully. The art and architecture is stunning and seeing all the great characters from history was fantastic. The cult got plenty of attention and the methodical and elaborate ways you have to track them down was very impressive. The eagle makes it a little too easy once you're close but if they didn't have that people would complain it was too hard.
Greek history isn't Greek mythology. And they really didn't bring the world to life masterfully. Athens and Sparta was poorly designed and completely forgettable. Not to mention the copy and pasted islands, most of which were relatively pointless outside of a few throwaway side quests.

Last edited:
Greek history isn't Greek mythology. And they really didn't bring the world to life masterfully. Athens and Sparta was poorly designed and completely forgettable. Not to mention the copy and pasted islands, most of which were relatively pointless outside of a few throwaway side quests.
Some of the characters were so unrealistic and embarrassing, from the donald trump dude to the alkibiades or however you spell his name. But there were some stand out characters in fairness.

Also didnt like how they did Sparta and Athens, thought they could have been better

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I tried playing it... But it is REALLY not my cup of tea..

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I disagree, Assassins Creed Odyssey was much more dependent on cheap "addiction" techniques to push you to play the game instead of using its narrative and world building. Everything from forcing you to grind levels to reach be able to progress through the current story in a bid to push people into buying transactions, to the lack of there being a "real world" feel to the game.

It felt like you were running on air the entire time, you could jump off the tallest mountain and not suffer any fall damage, the game became unbelievably stale gameplay wise towards the end with too much repetition.

Thats not to say Witcher's gameplay was better by any means, but at least it had one aspect that was able to carry the game forwards and give it a strong foot. Meanwhile Odyssey flopped on everything from combat, to story, to character development.

It was almost like they just decided after Origins that they want you to be able to play the game on autopilot and not have to have any real concern or thought process into how you get somewhere, or how you do something.
I get what you mean, if feels arcade and on auto pilot but at least it captures a sense of exploration by sailing , discovering new islands.

Witcher 3 is kind of sterile and depressing, it's may be why I care less about characters and story and more about evolving in a lighthearted and colorful world.

FranXico

You can literally buy an xp boost with real money to speed up part of the game because they knew that level gating and 99% of side contents are shit tier, talk about being proud of your own game, lmao.
You think it's a matter of pride for them? :unsure:

Top Bottom