• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

Paasei

Croatia all the way in the final. Fuck France and de "French" team.

I would've been happy as long as all the South American countries and France, Spain and Portugal are out. Only one left.

Mochilador

I would've been happy as long as all the South American countries and France, Spain and Portugal are out. Only one left.
What's wrong with South American countries? Soccer wise, I mean.

Boss Mog

:rolleyes:Okay...
giphy.webp

BadHand

I strongly believe all odds go out the window when it comes to a final. Following many sports for 30+ years has proven that to me.

What were the odds of Russia knocking out Spain? History proves my point time and time again.

No - Russia overcoming odds not in their favour does not prove your point. They are ODDS.

The odds that you roll a 6 on a dice is 1-in-6... if you happen to roll a 6, you don’t “prove” the odds wrong.

Alx

Yeah odds and probabilities don't apply toa single match anyway, they're only meant to represent large numbers (and random process). A 99% probability in football means "if they meet 1000 times, you should expect one side to win 990 of them". But there's no (probabilistic) way to know whether the next match will be one of the 990 or one of the 10. As long as both outcomes are possible, there's nothing probabilities can tell you for a single occurrence.

Atrus

Gold Member
France, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia and Uruguay are the top 5 teams of the tournament and it was not likely that Belgium was going to lose to a mediocre team like England, whose biggest win was against a terrible showing by Sweden. The comparison of this English team to Germany in 2006 has no basis given how they struggle on the field. At least Kane will win the golden boot and can take that home.

Congratulations to Belgium for their fastest goal and best World Cup result.

God Enel

Missed Croatia vs England was hiking the mt rinjani in Indonesia and just heard about it. Had no signal at all in the mountains. So glad Croatia made it to the finals. It's a big achievement for us. Even if we lose the last game I'm proud of the guys. They did great this tournament. The next one surely won't be that good with a lot of people quitting due to age most probably. Would be great to see a smaller country win the World Cup.

Cannot wait for the finals AJMOOOOOO HRVATSKA.
france will win ;-;

Breakage

Not just one goal, but two to hammer the point across. And to think people here in England were going hysterical over such a mediocre team.

The British tabloids even branded them "heroes" the day after they lost to Croatia.

Hilarious.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Not just one goal, but two to hammer the point across. And to think people here in England were going hysterical over such a mediocre team.

The British tabloids even branded them "heroes" the day after they lost to Croatia.

Hilarious.

I mean coming in 4th in a WC is nothing to scoff at. That being said the teams they beat were Tunisia, Panama, Sweden....and eeked by a James-less Colombia on penalties. They lost to Croatia and Belgium(twice). Not exactly a tough road/dominant record.

Alfadawg

Banned
Don't know much about football and wanted to believe the hype about England but I know the difference between an average team and a top notch team. Croatia were playing like something out of International Superstar Soccer (or old pro evo).

When you are losing, you go for broke, not pass the ball around with your hands in your pocket.

Belgium destroyed them twice. How embarrassing.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
When you are losing, you go for broke, not pass the ball around with your hands in your pocket.
This. It was amusing watching England attempt to play a passing game. They simply do not have the technical skill and creativity to perform it effectively. They never have.

Maybe if they continue that persistently for a few years, they will improve. It takes time. It has to be ingrained from youth.

There never was any hype for the England team. They are young and inexperienced, probably more than any previous World Cup campaign. Before the tournament a quarter final exit would have been seen as a very good result.

When the draw opened up there was obviously a chance for a deep run in the tournament so the papers etc started hyping it up, why wouldn’t they. The whole ‘it’s coming home’ stuff was more hopes and dreams, not expectations. It was also about having a laugh and a good old time. Because England, among many things, also invented the best sense of humour. Laughing in the face of adversity!

Last edited:

Alx

If I wasn't French I'd root for Croatia too. Everybody loves and underdog story, and they went for the cup with all the guts they got (and then some more).
If Croatia were to win, I just wonder if I'd prefer them to score more or go to the shootouts. I hate when major matches end in penalty kicks, but since Croatia went through those three times already, it would just be funny if they won the cup with a final one.
(if France is to win, please do it with real goals and not a tie-breaker).

Atrus

Gold Member
Incredibly tense game.

Croatia putting up their best effort to date and working hard to nullify the French offense. Kudos for the coaching team.

Croatia has got to be real careful for a French offensive reorg. after halftime.

Uh oh... pk?

longdi

Banned
France is just so cowardly to watch, plays like a chicken. Worst world champion ever

Croatia had 65% possession, 7-1 shots on goals. France just sit back and defend.

Atrus

Gold Member
So far, Croatia has surprised by controlling the first half of the game. All 3 goals made were the result of Croatian action.

France are going to revise because it’s clear they can’t just go on as is or Croatia will get lucky eventually and France won’t be able to respond unless they can get those set pieces.

Alx

Good game from Croatia, rather lucky game from France.
The winner will need to deserve the victory in the second half.

Atrus

Gold Member
If the World Cup went to the better team then Croatia has already won it.

However, there’s this pesky need for goals...

Atrus

Gold Member
Croatia would have to tie and could so but France is likely to play extremely defensively to secure the win now that they’re 2 up.

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s over for Croatia. GG.

Try to avoid a bruising now because France is going to capitalize on all counters.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Not the best performance by France but they deserved to win this WC. They had the hardest bracket and overall best performance.

Hissing Sid

Congrats to France!

They deserved it, Croatia have been a bunch of dirty, fouling fuckers right from the very first game.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Congratulations France on the win!The score is deceptive as Croatia has put up the best showing in a World Cup final here.

They can definitely go home as heroes.

Last edited:

Alx

Weird game, but entertaining.
Well done Croatia, that was a great fight and you would have deserved to win too. And well done France, obviously. ^^

longdi

Banned
France won by playing like a Mourinho team.
I hope that's not the trend going forward.

I still believe Brazil would have knocked these roosters out if they had met.

Makariel

France played pretty badly, a miracle they lasted that long.

Congratulations France. I found Croatia played better today though.

God Enel

GG. Deserved win. Even though we could have won. First goal yeah bad luck. Second goal okay yeah. Third and fourth goal you saw from miles away. So it's okay. France deserved it in the end.
Imho Croatia was the better team but who cares in the end. France scored and that is what counts. :)
theres 4 million Croatian guys proud of their team.

Atrus

Gold Member
Modric a well deserved Golden Ball :)

Courtois getting the Golden Glove too! Lloris threw all possibility away with this game’s give away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom