• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

Breakage

Today on an early morning British TV chat show, they were asking viewers whether Gareth Southgate should be knighted even if England lose.
I had to laugh.

Atrus

Gold Member
I have to add, the truly terrible thing about these semi-final matches is having to watch them at work on my phone. Can’t post and watch at the same time.

Will be rooting for Croatia though they are a big underdog in this matchup.

Good luck to both sides.

Atrus

Gold Member
Croatia struggling to balance their offence with having to keep up with the much faster English forwards on any counter.

They had some good chances around the 30-40 minute mark but England did as well.

This could very well have been 3-0 had English strikers been more aggressive.

It took Kane awhile to realize the ball was still in play with a wide open net after the first Subacic block and that cost him the easiest goal to make.

The current goal early on is regrettable, but far more troubling are the turnovers and panic against the English runners.

Croatia isn’t out yet though conceding another goal to the English will seal the deal.

Atrus

Gold Member
England came apart in the second half. No true ideas since Croatia equalized with the excellent long cross and the Croatians gained a morale boost. Were it not for that shot just bouncing off of the post, England would be out right now.

Croatia is still playing too recklessly , to Modric’ chagrin with all those out of bounds crosses, but they’re attacking constantly and they’re already used to playing 120 minute soccer as opposed to 90.

Hopefully Croatia scores before it gets to PKs...

Hissing Sid

Oh dear, it seems traditional England has gone and turned up. Yet another match you can barely watch from between your fingers.

Time to get the Rennies out.

Hissing Sid

Although I occasionally watch the big tournaments I’m not really that into footy, probably because when I was a kid I had all the athletic prowess of a ships anchor.

So bearing that in mind I find myself a tad confused by tonights result, perhaps someone who’s more versed in the rules of the beautiful game could clear this up for me....

Does this mean that football is in point of fact, NOT coming home??

Just askin.

I can see the headlines already. ‘England Hero’s Beaten But Unbowed!’

Because at this stage taking a bit longer to be knocked out than usual = Victory.

On the bright side at least the Shite music will finally stop and fuck face Teresa May won’t be able to leech any glory for PM’s questions.

Probably a fair result in the end. England not good enough in possession through the midfield, and not clinical enough up front. Walker has also been the weak link of the defence. A decent tournament run though for a young team, but they should have put this game to bed in the first half.

Hopefully Croatia now go on and win it. Good luck!

Atrus

Gold Member
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Congratulations Croatia for a hard won victory and true grit. England had speed but no stamina and as the game wore on, the Croatian team ended up being faster. Kudos for Croatia for keeping the action up until the last moment instead.

This will teach all those English announcers a lesson about needlessly praising England and putting down Croatia as if they’re a speed bump.

Look whose coming home now!

demigod

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Congratulations Croatia for a hard won victory and true grit. England had speed but no stamina and as the game wore on, the Croatian team ended up being faster. Kudos for Croatia for keeping the action up until the last moment instead.

This will teach all those English announcers a lesson about needlessly praising England and putting down Croatia as if they’re a speed bump.

Look whose coming home now!

England definitely gassed out. I knew they were done when it went to overtime. Should've taken Lingard out. Missed opportunities by Kane on the 2nd shot that he was called offsides on. Would've been up 2-0.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Thank god we don’t have to listen to insufferable England fans for the next 4 years.

I’ve never seen a nation’s group of fans/media get so far ahead of themselves every.single.time. Without fail.

Normality has returned.

Would be an amazing turnaround if Croatia win a World Cup.

Snoopycat

Banned
I wanted to see England get totally destroyed by France but as usual they have let me down. I still can't believe they let that donkey Sterling back on the field.

Yeye go Hrvatska my home country. Must beat france, france does not deserve victory. It's not even a french team. They just threw money at the problem.

Azurro

Banned
Oh God, this is amazing, I am a bit sick so I kind of passed out, only to wake up and see this result. This is incredible, both teams heavily made up of Premier League players are out, while Serie A is represented quite nicely in the final. I hope for Mario Mandzukic that Croatia wins it, though I think France is going to take it.

As for England, weren't they way too overhyped? The times they actually ran into tough opposition they folded. Colombia was not really quality this year aside from a couple of players, and yet pundits and such already had them in the final.

longdi

Banned
So does Croatia have a realistic shot of beating France?
Croatia gameplan is pressing high up the field, since they played all 3 ko games till extra time, i doubt they have the legs to chase France.

Unless France is the perennial loser and they stumbled to Portugal 2.0. Croatia need lots of luck and an early goal.

Oh well the UKers generally lacked a few top talents, they played as a good team (spurs) and they lost as a 2nd tier team(spurs). If only they have a prime Rooney instead of sterling. The guy is so bad with the ball. Im surprised Pep is keeping him around.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So does Croatia have a realistic shot of beating France?
I think so. France haven’t been overly impressive imo, except for that really fast player (I forgot his name).

I said at the start that this was anyone’s World Cup, because the traditional powers were all off their game.

Croatia could easily win it. It’d be good to have a new champion.

Russo

I think so. France haven’t been overly impressive imo, except for that really fast player (I forgot his name).

I said at the start that this was anyone’s World Cup, because the traditional powers were all off their game.

Everyone wants a new world champion, but it will be very difficult for Croatia.
France is extremely fast than Croatia.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Everyone wants a new world champion, but it will be very difficult for Croatia.
France is extremely fast than Croatia.
That is true. Croatia have very smart and very experienced attacking players though, that play in very technical leagues and all you need is one chance. I still think it’s a 50/50 game.

ruvikx

Banned
England needed a Steven Gerrard in midfield last night. The stars didn't align on that front, i.e. the 'golden generation' of ten years ago had a weak backbone & shit goalkeeper, whereas this team had a strong backbone, strong keeper, yet not enough match winners who could save the team when shit hit the fan.

longdi

Banned
I do hope for Croatia shock. The France seems like douche bags except for kante and greizman. Can't stand the mbappe acting like a dick at only 19. Imagine how much success will get to his head if he won.

ruvikx

Banned
I do hope for Croatia shock. The France seems like douche bags except for kante and greizman. Can't stand the mbappe acting like a dick at only 19. Imagine how much success will get to his head if he won.

They're all douche bags, Croatia included. We're talking about self-serving millionaire footballers here who're interested in two things in life: themselves & the money they'll earn in their careers. Griezmann aired a one hour (no kidding) documentary before the world cup called 'the decision' in which he revealed whether he'd sign for Barcelona or stay at Atletico Madrid. He chose the latter (stating financial reasons, aka nearly 20 million euros a year salary), but the entire oeuvre was a masterclass in narcissism.

In terms of the overall picture & 'impact' of the world cup, suppressed national pride has found an escape route in football & every 4 years lots of people lose their minds. The actual football itself is of little concern to most people watching, i.e. they're just interested in seeing their nation 'win'. Within one week no one will give a fuck (just like for Germany, Spain, Italy, Brazil & France before).

I mean if France wants to make their win in this tournament famous they'll have to give the final some panache (lots of goals, excitement etc.) because in this day & age of saturated entertainment & media, the next 'big thing' to keep the masses occupied is merely days (or hours) away.

Makariel

While I think it would be good to have a new champion, I don't think Croatia could "easily" win this. The France that was playing against Belgium was more convincing than the France that played in the group stage (so I doubt they got really tested so far), while Croatia was on the brink of dropping out twice on the arguably weaker side of the knockout-table. However, my predictions were wrong 100% of the time so far, so if you are a betting man I recommend putting your money on Croatia :D

From earlier:
So my prediction is: Belgium - England in the final, which pretty much guarantees France - Croatia to be the outcome, since I've been mostly wrong so far.
... so I predicted the correct final by assuming I was wrong, so this time I predict France to win hence I assume Croatia will be world cup winner 2018. There you have it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
While I think it would be good to have a new champion, I don't think Croatia could "easily" win this. The France that was playing against Belgium was more convincing than the France that played in the group stage (so I doubt they got really tested so far), while Croatia was on the brink of dropping out twice on the arguably weaker side of the knockout-table. However, my predictions were wrong 100% of the time so far, so if you are a betting man I recommend putting your money on Croatia :D

From earlier:

... so I predicted the correct final by assuming I was wrong, so this time I predict France to win hence I assume Croatia will be world cup winner 2018. There you have it.
When I say “can easily win it”, I don’t mean they will win it easy, I mean they are every chance to win it, just as France are.

It’s a World Cup final. All bets are off. Both teams go in equal. It’s a 50/50 game in my eyes.

Makariel

But it's not 50/50, they don't go in it equal otherwise a bookie wouldn't give the following odds atm:
France to lift the trophy: 4/9
Croatia to lift the trophy: 7/4
Croatia to win on penalties: 17/2
Either team to win in extra time: 11/2
France to win 1-0: 9/2

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
But it's not 50/50, they don't go in it equal otherwise a bookie wouldn't give the following odds atm:
Odds are not foolproof. That’s why everyone is not a professional gambler. If it was that easy, we’d all do it. What were the odds for Hillary Clinton to win the U.S. election?

The euphoria of making their first World Cup final could very easily carry Croatia over the line. There are upsets in professional sport all the time.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Of course not, that's why they are called odds and not certainties. Doesn't change the fact that the chances are not 50/50.
You are really determined about this, lol. Are you French? Does the saying: “this is anyone’s game” exist where you’re from?

I just can’t fathom why you can’t see that two nations playing a cup final against eachother on neutral ground is an equal footing game. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

BadHand

You are really determined about this, lol. Are you French? Does the saying: “this is anyone’s game” exist where you’re from?

I just can’t fathom why you can’t see that two nations playing a cup final against eachother on neutral ground is an equal footing game. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

You obviously don't believe that a football game has 50/50 randomness (i.e. a coin toss) and that the outcome of two established teams cannot be studied and predicted to varying extents. That's what odds are.

Makariel is clearly not saying that Croatia cannot win because of the odds - but is instead pointing out that bookmakers and the betting public (who drive the changes in odds) have determined that France is more likely to win.

Being the underdog is a better place to be anyway. Makes winning all that much better.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You obviously don't believe that a football game has 50/50 randomness (i.e. a coin toss) and that the outcome of two established teams cannot be studied and predicted to varying extents. That's what odds are.

Makariel is clearly not saying that Croatia cannot win because of the odds - but is instead pointing out that bookmakers and the betting public (who drive the changes in odds) have determined that France is more likely to win.

Being the underdog is a better place to be anyway. Makes winning all that much better.
I strongly believe all odds go out the window when it comes to a final. Following many sports for 30+ years has proven that to me.

What were the odds of Russia knocking out Spain? History proves my point time and time again.

Russo

Mbappe has a long way to go. He is surrounded by an excellent team.

Makariel

lol no I'm not French, but it strikes me that you don't quite grasp what probabilites mean? As B BadHand points out, nowhere was I saying Croatia can't win, as a matter of fact I wrote it in boldface type just a few posts earlier that I think Croatia will win, despite the odds. Are you actually reading what I write or do you just argue against what you mean that I mean??
[...] hence I assume Croatia will be world cup winner 2018. There you have it.
What were the odds of Russia knocking out Spain? History proves my point time and time again.
So if "everything goes" all the time, how come in the history of the world cup there are only so few different winners, and so many of them repeat winners? You might recognise that apart from Italy the 7 previous winning nations have been present in the knockout stage this world cup as well. If the world cup was really as open to anyone as your 30+ years of sports-following experience would suggest, wouldn't we expect many more different winners?

I really don't understand what your problem is appreciating how impressive it is that Croatia has come all the way to the final, even though they are the clear underdogs in this final? In my view you downplay their efforts by saying that essentially everyone could win it at this stage, almost as if it doesn't matter that they beat a number of teams ranked well ahead of them. Anyway, if you really feel like mathematics is for losers I don't know how I should argue with that and concede. Have your wish, whatever that is (I'm not quite sure what you trying to prove anyway? That people who try to use maths to understand the world are idiots?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom