• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 just might become one of the most prolific years in gaming.

mortal

Gold Member
FFVII Remake
Half-Life: Alyx
Cyberpunk 2077
TLOU part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Elden Ring (supposedly)
& Breath of the Wild 2 (supposedly)

And most of all, the next generation consoles with their launch titles.

What are you most anticipating? Maybe it's a title I've haven't mentioned here. E3 2020 should be fun next year.

mortal

Gold Member
Are there any years this thread hasn't been made for? Don't see how that looks more prolific than most previous years, anyways.
True. Mostly because in addition to all those titles, next gen consoles also hit the market. So it's a year just packed with notable releases.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
non of those titles are mega AAA like a cyberpunk, like a TLOU2 or a FFVII Remake
So you only value giant triple A games??

I enjoy every type of good games, i don't need 98mc games to consider a year great...

For people who like action game or tps, gears5 and dmc 5 are probably better than any game you listed in your post...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
in terms of hype. yes.
Ah you are talking about hype, not how good and fun games really are, got it.

Also like i edited in my previois post, dmc5 or gears 5 or even death stranding generate far more hype for people who love tps, kojima game and action game than any game you listed...

2020 not gonna have tight combat system like sekiro or dmc 5 most probably...

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Ah you are talking about hype, not how good and fun games really are, got it.

Also like i edited in my previois post, dmc5 or gears 5 or even death stranding generate far more hype for people who love tps, kojima game and action game far more than any game you listed...

hype is both. public interest and potential to be great. in terms of hype sekiro and dmc are not up there. i played dmc5 and its a ps2 game in terms of design. i agree Death Stranding is a AAA+++ game in terms of hype but that quickly fizzled and its the only one really this year.

GymWolf

Gold Member
hype is both. public interest and potential to be great. in terms of hype sekiro and dmc are not up there. i played dmc5 and its a ps2 game in terms of design. i agree Death Stranding is a AAA+++ game in terms of hype but that quickly fizzled and its the only one really this year.
Level design in action game are always been simple, but the combat is some of the best you can find in action games, you don't really need that much to be an excellent action game, look at bayonetta.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Level design in action game are always been simple, but the combat is some of the best you can find in action game, you don:t really need that much to be an excellent actikn game, look at bayonetta.

ya its an outdated gameplay design. go from A-B button mash enemies fight a boss, see a cutscene. rinse and repeat.

Airbus Jr

Banned
ya its an outdated gameplay design. go from A-B button mash enemies fight a boss, see a cutscene. rinse and repeat.

Isnt that the idea of most videogames?

Since you seems like a real genius we would like to hear your idea on how to reinvent and reinvigorate videogame as a whole

Surely someone like you can came up with some clever new ideas

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Isnt that the idea of most videogames?

Since you seems like a real genius we would like to hear your idea on how to reinvent and reinvigorate videogame as a whole

not really, most games nowadays are open world. or metroid type open worlds like jedi fallen order. also the button mashing on top of that makes t really a ps2 game.

Kagey K

Banned
people say this every year
Yeah, next year is really about getting the games out before the new systems drop,

I imagine some of these games still won’t be ready, but they either release now or go back in the tank for another year. We are going to see a bunch of big games drop, but some will be very poorly polished and poorly received when we see what they have been working on all gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's what a pure action game is tho, and what people want.
People dont want watered down sidequest or pointless exploration in their pure action game because combat is what shine in these games.

Imagine a pure fps with hours of cutscene or deep rpg mechanics or a fighting game where you have to find the next opponent in a giant map...

GymWolf

Gold Member
not really, most games nowadays are open world. or metroid type open worlds like jedi fallen order. also the button mashing on top of that makes t really a ps2 game.
Dmc5 is button mashing only if you play on normal or don't give a fuck about scores, basically the contrary of how you play these games...

Every game is button mashing on normal...every open world is piss easy on normal...

Hostile_18

Banned
I agree op it's actually insane how many good games are coming out in 2020. I'd add in Doom Eternal, Avengers and Deadly Premonition 2 as well. If Horizon 2 is a launch title... oh boy.

This year was pretty shit for me, just look at the game awards this year compared to last.

Caring about hype is one of the worst habits "gamers" have. You can have a year with several absolutely amazing titles, but they didn't have a lot of marketing...or something.

Hostile_18

Banned
Imagine a year with sekiro, re2 remake, dmc5 and a shitload of good to great games being weak...

Weak relative to the heavy hitters of previous games. As good as each individual game you listed is they are fairly niche compared to say Red Dead 2, Smash Bros, God of War and Spiderman of 2018.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Weak relative to the heavy hitters of previous games. As good as each individual game you listed is they are fairly niche compared to say Red Dead 2, Smash Bros, God of War of 2018.
So it’s fair to say that for you, it’s not actually about how good the game was, it’s more about how it hit your hype meter instead?

Is that a failure of the game or a failure of the marketing?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Weak relative to the heavy hitters of previous games. As good as each individual game you listed is they are fairly niche compared to say Red Dead 2, Smash Bros, God of War of 2018.

For a lot of people rdr2 is far more shittier than sekiro in terms of gameplay...and not all the people give a fuck about metascores (like me for example)

I will say again, for people who loves action game, a year with sekiro and dmc5 is probably the best year of the gen, it's a matter of perspective and personal taste.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
2020 does look very promising.

New consoles. Exciting games like Cyberpunk, TLOU, Doom, Animal Crossing, Alyx, Halo...to name just a few.

If BOTW2 comes out it will be even better. I'm most excited for Cyberpunk of course but if we got a sequel to BOTW it would just be an insane year.

Hostile_18

Banned
So it’s fair to say that for you, it’s not actually about how good the game was, it’s more about how it hit your hype meter instead?

Is that a failure of the game or a failure of the marketing?

So were talking about sales, critical reception, user reception.

It's pretty telling that this year is so divided in terms of Goty awards.. it's more "theres a few alright games which one deserves it" compared to last years "theres so many amazing games how can we choose just one".

Obviously in any one year you can choose a specific genre and say that is the best year for them but were talking about the general sentiment across all gamers not a specific subset.

Last edited:

Sophist

Next year will also have a lot of promising mid/low budgets. Long awaited games, new generation of consoles, the rising of cloud gaming and VR, ... 2020 has the potential to become the biggest year in video gaming (It will be).

Kagey K

Banned
So were talking about sales, critical reception, user reception.

It's pretty telling that this year is so divided in terms of Goty awards.. it's more "theres a few alright games which one deserves it" compared to last years "theres so many amazing games how can we choose just one".

Obviously in any one year you can choose a specific genre and say that is the best year for them but were talking about the general sentiment across all gamers not a specific subset.

I was actually talking about your response. No Reviewers, No Influencers. Just you and the game.

Hostile_18

Banned
I was actually talking about your response. No Reviewers, No Influencers. Just you and the game.

Right but if were talking weaker/stronger years in gaming in any kind of objectional way (like we are here) we have to apply it to the industry as a whole and how we measure that is in sales, critical and user reception, general market sentiment etc.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Caring about hype is one of the worst habits "gamers" have. You can have a year with several absolutely amazing titles, but they didn't have a lot of marketing...or something.

so true the best games are the ones i had very little hype. games with big hype usually disappoint.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Cmon dont be daft theres literally tons of great linear game

I just played the latest metro game quite recently so il have to disagree with you there

Also why u hate open world game?

Your second statement also doesnt make any sense either ( ps2?)

A game being button mashing has nothing to do with graphics

What kind of button mashing game are you talking about here?

Are you talking about hack n slash game like god of war bayonetta dmc and called it as button mashing? Or fighting game in general? You need to be more specific

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Not even close with that lackluster list.

I honestly don't think 1998 will ever be beaten:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pokemon Yellow
Tekken 3
Starcraft
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
Spyro The Dragon
Xenogears
Medievil
Turok 2
Rogue Squadron
Link's Awakening DX
Sonic Adventure
Baldur's Gate
NFS III: Hot Pursuit
Marvel Vs Capcom
Rush 2
Parasite Eve
1080 Snowboarding
Unreal
Radiant Silvergun
Wario Land 2

Will. Never. Be. Beaten.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think 2020 has a very good shot! :D

Doom Eternal
Last of Us 2
Balfurs Gate 3
Halo Infinite
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Deadly Premonition 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Marvel's Avengers
Elden Ring
System Shock
Ghost of Tushima
Call of Duty: Black ops 5
Dying Light 2
Vampire: Bloodlines 2
Watchdogs Legion
Ghost Wire
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Mafia 4 (?)
Persona 5 Royale
Iron Man VR
Twin Mirror
Age of Empires 4 (TBC)

That doesn't take into account the surprise hits (like this years Plague Tale: Innocence etc) or unannounced games.

Plus the PS5, Scarlett launch window games... Horizon 2?

I wouldn't bet against 2020 ;)

clem84

Gold Member
FFVII Remake
Half-Life: Alyx
Cyberpunk 2077
TLOU part II
Ghost of Tsushima
Elden Ring (supposedly)
& Breath of the Wild 2 (supposedly)
Honestly that's not that many titles for a whole year.
Doom Eternal
Last of Us 2
Balfurs Gate 3
Halo Infinite
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Deadly Premonition 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Marvel's Avengers
Elden Ring
System Shock
Ghost of Tushima
Call of Duty: Black ops 5
Dying Light 2
Vampire: Bloodlines 2
Watchdogs Legion
Ghost Wire
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Mafia 4 (?)
Persona 5 Royale
Iron Man VR
Twin Mirror
Age of Empires 4 (TBC)

That doesn't take into account the surprise hits (like this years Plague Tale: Innocence etc) or unannounced games.
Plus the PS5, Scarlett launch window games... Horizon 2?
I wouldn't bet against 2020 ;)
OMG what a year this will be! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

mortal

Gold Member

Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pokemon Yellow
Tekken 3
Starcraft
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
Spyro The Dragon
Xenogears
Medievil
Turok 2
Rogue Squadron
Link's Awakening DX
Sonic Adventure
Baldur's Gate
Marvel Vs Capcom
Rush 2
Parasite Eve
1080 Snowboarding
Unreal
Radiant Silvergun
Wario Land 2

Will. Never. Be. Beaten.
I made sure to say "one of"as to not make an ultimate statement. It's hard to deny that 2020 will be full of notable releases, and I just anted to highlight that

Phase

Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pokemon Yellow
Tekken 3
Starcraft
Banjo Kazooie
F-Zero X
Spyro The Dragon
Xenogears
Medievil
Turok 2
Rogue Squadron
Link's Awakening DX
Sonic Adventure
Baldur's Gate
Marvel Vs Capcom
Rush 2
Parasite Eve
1080 Snowboarding
Unreal
Radiant Silvergun
Wario Land 2

Will. Never. Be. Beaten.
And look how many of these games are original IP's. It's simply amazing.

Kadayi

Banned
Paradox: -Crusader Kings 3 coming 2020

Me: -
giphy.gif

Top Bottom