• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

23 Times America Failed Black People in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

You can argue this and you might be right, but remember the ESPN anchor who got chastised for saying that if he saw a black man with a hoodie he would cross the street because, black man in a hoodie = gang related?
Didn't they also say if they saw a white man with a shaved head they'd do the same (i.e. assuming they're skinheads)? It provokes ignorance about the stereotypes that goes on today, if anything.

I think that was Steven A. Smith who said that, if I recall.

Althane

Didn't they also say if they saw a white man with a shaved head they'd do the same (i.e. assuming they're skinheads)? It provokes ignorance about the stereotypes that goes on today, if anything.

I think that was Steven A. Smith who said that, if I recall.

Mark Cuban said that, actually.

I dunno, lists like this always make me feel like I'm not getting all the facts in the story. Clickbait style rage inducers, like going to reddit or something.

Jams775

24. White people will try to discredit this list instead of actually listening and understanding

couple things wrong this this:

you assume everyone critiquing the list is white.

taking issue with a bad point on a list of 23 does not invalidate the struggle that black people face on the day to day.

not all articles written by black authors on black issues are infallible.

That's a pretty dismissive statement. Just because people don't like a couple of the items on that list doesn't mean the whole list is invalidated.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
has there ever been a white rap artist other than eminem that compares in critical and commercial terms with the most popular black ones? i can't think of a single one.

E92 M3

Some items are legit others are complete bullshit. I'm especially confused how an app that tells you bad neighborhoods is racist? It's for safety reasons.

So people need to agree with everything on that list? Come on now.

Did "agree" show up in the post you just quoted?

EDIT: Saying #5 or #whatever of the list is wrong, regardless of the validity of the accusation, is small talk and misses the overarching idea. The whole point is listening to people talk about how many times people of color have the same injustices and obstacles reinforced and bashed into them as part of a healthy breakfast meal, and maybe... just maybe... not completely dismissing their pain. The same way I may never share the same fear a woman has when she feels obligated to be constantly on guard in case some man tries to make her business theirs, I can still at least empathize.

...Or this is a Bombdrop thread, in which case I exit stage left.

Infinite

Some items are legit others are complete bullshit. I'm especially confused how an app that tells you bad neighborhoods is racist? It's for safety reasons.
In theory I guess it would work that way but in practice the app allows the users to determine which neighborhoods are "sketchy", much like a yelp review of a restaurant, instead of empirical data and stats. In the end, you have some racists and diet racists submissions of people basically telling each other how to avoid neighborhoods that arent gentrified yet and are still riddled with minorities.

Malyse

Ehhh, that's how you pronounce it but not exactly what it means. Kids use it as an acronym for "before anyone else", as in "you're my number one".

Completely off topic, but is that Tony Wonder?
2Tony-Wonder-Doug-Henning.jpg

Infinite

That's a pretty dismissive statement. Just because people don't like a couple of the items on that list doesn't mean the whole list is invalidated.
I haven't seen any good counter argument to any of the 23 points in this thread yet. I mostly see people who seem like they simply reading the bullet points and then go out of their way to minimize the issues being presented and how race isn't a factor of it. At best, people itt have showed how little they understand of cultural appropriation in the first place. I don't think every point is weighted the same but for some reason people are acting they are. That post you quoted maybe dismissive but certain things ought to be dismissed.

gatti-man

The title of the thread is the hardest thing for me to take. Part of the problem is people want to take 1 action by one person and spread it all over America like its a conspiracy. I'd say half of the things on that list are valid racial problems. It wasn't America doing black people wrong it was a person here or a person there out of hundreds of millions.

This is the problem I have with this current uproar especially with police. Police killed more white people than black people in 2014 the percentage of black based on black population vs white is higher but the larger point is police brutality is an American problem but what do we talk about? Everyone wants to say it's police just hate black people so its a race issue.

What this has revealed to me personally especially on my Facebook is many of my black friends who I've known for 8-10 years have deep seaded resentment and truly believe there is a man holding them down so to speak. Even those who have successful government jobs in my friends list are ready to jump at anything that happens.

Some people in this country are racist. It's nota white problem or a black problem it's a societal problem. Anyone can be racist so if you don't like it get involved in our countries government. Vote. Fight for change. Making click bait lists and taking pics on Facebook does nothing. Boycott companies that are racially insensitive. ACT.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Before reading I thought of number 4 half jokingly. I'm not sure about the Richard Sherman one though. If you act like an asshat you are going to be labelled regardless of your race. Race might have a factor in what that label is though.
Nothing Sherman said or did makes him an asshat. Dude was jacked up and excited for going to the superbowl, then they stick a mix in his face. He was raw and emotional.

Further to the point, Sherman was called a thug by actual media and journalists several hundred times in the following days. When he is the furthest thing from a thug. He is a successful football player and ivy league educated. Everything white America wants, except he spoke cocky and trash talked.

gatti-man

Nothing Sherman said or did makes him an asshat. Dude was jacked up and excited for going to the superbowl, then they stick a mix in his face. He was raw and emotional.

Further to the point, Sherman was called a thug by actual media and journalists several hundred times in the following days. When he is the furthest thing from a thug. He is a successful football player and ivy league educated. Everything white America wants, except he spoke cocky and trash talked.

Sherman was a complete ass and called one of the best receivers in the league mediocre . Then he taunted him repeatedly in the media being the worst sore winner I've personally ever seen. Dude is a self promoting douche imho, and when it blew up in his face he suddenly didn't like it. He's not a thug though. That's a racist response I would absolutely agree. He's just an asshole.

I think why they meant to say was classless and somehow thought thug would be more appropriate. How you look at the word thug and think it's appropriate is what makes it racist to me. It's crazy he was called that by professionals that should know better.

Infinite

The title of the thread is the hardest thing for me to take. Part of the problem is people want to take 1 action by one person and spread it all over America like its a conspiracy. I'd say half of the things on that list are valid racial problems. It wasn't America doing black people wrong it was a person here or a person there out of hundreds of millions.

This is the problem I have with this current uproar especially with police. Police killed more white people than black people in 2014 the percentage of black based on black population vs white is higher but the larger point is police brutality is an American problem but what do we talk about? Everyone wants to say it's police just hate black people so its a race issue.

What this has revealed to me personally especially on my Facebook is many of my black friends who I've known for 8-10 years have deep seaded resentment and truly believe there is a man holding them down so to speak. Even those who have successful government jobs in my friends list are ready to jump at anything that happens.

Some people in this country are racist. It's nota white problem or a black problem it's a societal problem. Anyone can be racist so if you don't like it get involved in our countries government. Vote. Fight for change. Making click bait lists and taking pics on Facebook does nothing. Boycott companies that are racially insensitive. ACT.

Hmm. I think your heart is in the right place (maybe) but you have a gross misunderstanding of the issue on police brutality and by extension systemic racism. Also your solution seems a bit insensitive, nothing is wrong with discussing things, it's how we arrive at better solutions and compromises. Your basically telling people to stfu and put their money where their mouth is like you can't do both and like you have a good idea where to spend it.We're not even at the point where we can talk solutions and act on them because not everyone fucking sees the problems as evident by this thread and even your post. This is why listening at this stage is important so we can come to an understand and move forward. Dismissing the list because it's "clickbait" (fucking overused phrase now) or because it makes you feel uncomfortable and then go on to tell people "well, take action!" is pretty lazy. Uhh ok? How about you take the simple action of using your ears and listen to what we are saying.

E92 M3

In theory I guess it would work that way but in practice the app allows the users to determine which neighborhoods are "sketchy", much like a yelp review of a restaurant, instead of empirical data and stats. In the end, you have some racists and diet racists submissions of people basically telling each other how to avoid neighborhoods that arent gentrified yet and are still riddled with minorities.

See I think you're just trying to turn every issue into race thing. There are neighborhoods that are completely unsafe. And this app can be helpful for tourists to know where not to go. It's empirical data; some areas have higher much crime rates.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I haven't seen any good counter argument to any of the 23 points in this thread yet. I mostly see people who seem like they simply reading the bullet points and then go out of their way to minimize the issues being presented and how race isn't a factor of it. At best, people itt have showed how little they understand of cultural appropriation in the first place. I don't think every point is weighted the same but for some reason people are acting they are. That post you quoted maybe dismissive but certain things ought to be dismissed.

How about the fact that it's not that we didn't care about Ebola affecting Africans, it was more like we cared that it was affecting Americans regardless of race, as well as the media hyping it up.

Also when it comes to Rap music, Macklemore deserved to win at the Grammys, he had two #1 singles, as well an extremely popular song that focused on social change. I agree with the points on Iggy Azela though.

Infinite

See I think you're just trying to turn every issue into race thing. There are neighborhoods that are completely unsafe. And this app can be helpful for tourists to know where not to go. It's empirical data; some areas have higher much crime rates.

Did you read my post? The app doesn't use empirical data of any kind. No crime rates, no 911 calls, no nothing. It works like a yelp review for neighborhoods; the "data" is user submitted therefore you open yourself up to questionable submissions.

E92 M3

Did you read my post? The app doesn't use empirical data of any kind. No crime rates, no 911 calls, no nothing. It works like a yelp review for neighborhoods; the "data" is user submitted therefore you open yourself up to questionable submissions.

I did, but I am willing to bet that majority of people submit areas that are truly crime ridden and not just racially motivated.

Valhelm

contribute something
I did, but I am willing to bet that majority of people submit areas that are truly crime ridden and not just racially motivated.

Given the way race works in America, black-dominated neighborhoods are more likely to have lots of crime (or at least lots of arrests). This is especially true in an urban context.

Infinite

How about the fact that it's not that we didn't care about Ebola affecting Africans, it was more like we cared that it was affecting Americans regardless of race, as well as the media hyping it up.

Also when it comes to Rap music, Macklemore deserved to win at the Grammys, he had two #1 singles, as well an extremely popular song that focused on social change. I agree with the points on Iggy Azela though.
No way in hell Macklemore deserved to win especially not over Good Kid Mad City. Simple fact, Macklemore isn't hip-hop. He raps pop music to a pop audience.

WaffleTaco

No way in hell Macklemore deserved to win especially not over Good Kid Mad City. Simple fact, Macklemore isn't hip-hop. He raps pop music to a pop audience.
That's not the point though. Kendrick Lamar may have the better album and better songs, but not according to chart performance and that is what they typically go after.

JeTmAn81

Is "white-shaming" a thing now? Macklemore is as much a hip-hop artist as anyone else, regardless of individual taste for his music.

Infinite

That's not the point though. Kendrick Lamar may have the better album and better songs, but not according to chart performance and that is what they typically go after.
The grammys aren't about chart performances and sales though. Macklemore didn't deserve to win because he had a bigger number 1 single than Kendrick. Although he earned his win because the voters were more familiar with his shit than Kendrick's when in reality they are not even in the same genre. the Grammys are bullshit for this reason and they have a history of shitting on hip-hop.

Is "white-shaming" a thing now? Macklemore is as much a hip-hop artist as anyone else, regardless of individual taste for his music.

White shaming. Smh

What I said is a fact, Macklemore is no different from that dude that raps in your favorite boy band. He makes music for a pop audience and his audience is consumers of that genre.

WaffleTaco

The grammys aren't about chart performances and sales though. Macklemore didn't deserve to win because he had a bigger number 1 single than Kendrick. Although he earned his win because the voters were more familiar with his shit than Kendrick's when in reality they are not even in the same genre. the Grammys are bullshit for this reason and they have a history of shitting on hip-hop.
Because he was more popular exactly! He appealed more to mainstream media than Kendrick Lamar's album.

JeTmAn81

Getting mad about the Grammys is pointless anyway. They'rejust a showcase for popular music. There's no objective measure of what the "best" music so why get mad when they pick someone you don't like?

What I said is a fact, Macklemore is no different from that dude that raps in your favorite boy band. He makes music for a pop audience and his audience is consumers of that genre.

So does Kanye West. Boy is that guy going to be pissed to learn he doesn't make hip-hop.

Infinite

Because he was more popular exactly! He appealed more to mainstream media than Kendrick Lamar's album.
It wasn't the best hip-hop album. It wasn't even a hip-hop album but I don't wanna have this conversation anymore. It's detracting from everything else.

WaffleTaco

It wasn't the best hip-hop album. It wasn't even a hip-hop album but I don't wanna have this conversation anymore. It's detracting from everything else.
I agree, it's not entirely necessary, and it's only one point of many.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Given the way race works in America, black-dominated neighborhoods are more likely to have lots of crime (or at least lots of arrests). This is especially true in an urban context.

Also people tend to associate blacks and poor black neighborhoods with crime.

Infinite

Getting mad about the Grammys is pointless anyway. They'rejust a showcase for popular music. There's no objective measure of what the "best" music so why get mad when they pick someone you don't like?

Never said I liked or didn't like Macklemore or his music and I also said myself that the Grammys are bullshit in that regard. These have nothing to with the reason why him winning the Grammy was included on the list though

So does Kanye West. Boy is that guy going to be pissed to learn he doesn't make hip-hop.

You don't know what you are talking about.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sherman was a complete ass and called one of the best receivers in the league mediocre . Then he taunted him repeatedly in the media being the worst sore winner I've personally ever seen. Dude is a self promoting douche imho, and when it blew up in his face he suddenly didn't like it. He's not a thug though. That's a racist response I would absolutely agree. He's just an asshole.

I think why they meant to say was classless and somehow thought thug would be more appropriate. How you look at the word thug and think it's appropriate is what makes it racist to me. It's crazy he was called that by professionals that should know better.
Well first of all crabtree is not one of the best receivers in the league, I would take at least 15 guys before him.

Secondly you can think all of that of Sherman, but it doesn't make him a thug.

Lastly if jj watt did the same thing, not a single person would call him a thug and that's the difference.

Moonkid

has there ever been a white rap artist other than eminem that compares in critical and commercial terms with the most popular black ones? i can't think of a single one.
Come on man, the Beastie Boys. Back in the day they had a lot of success and even carried it through after they changed up their bad-boy image. I'm talking about three Jewish guys from the streets of Brooklyn that made the first rap album to enter the billboard top 200, License to Ill would then go on to be the best-selling rap album of the 1980s. They were right up there alongside RUNDMC whom they were good friends with.

Zombine

Banned
There is no denying that America failed to protect the basic human rights of minorities this year, but #4 is one of the biggest piles of crap I read on that list.

PopeReal

There is no denying that America failed to protect the basic human rights of minorities this year, but #4 is one of the biggest piles of crap I read on that list.

So what do you think of the overall list? If you think one is wrong does it devalue the others?

Just curious because I keep seeing people pick out one or two things and bitch while not addressing the others.

ICKE

Banned
Explain what you think this means.

It means that white artists are apparently allowed to perform but if they win awards or are too successful in any given year, then we have a problem?

It is silly but the piece works as intended, attention gained.

What a clickbait-y headline.

Racism still exists and likely will continue to exist. We should be vigilant in combating it. America, as an institution, should afford rights to everyone equally. Also, I fully support the outrage over Michael Brown, and think that there is a systematic problem with police

That being said, screw that article (not really, but I do have a couple issues). They want to be taken seriously when they act offended that newspaper headlines made movie puns about 12 Years a Slave after winning best picture? That's what entertainment writers do. Entertainment Weekly has run its entire business around groan-worthy pun-headlines.

Also, America not caring about Ebola until it came over here was not a failure to black people. It doesn't matter whether the outbreak was in Africa or Russia. It was happening 'over there' which meant that it didn't matter to them. Out of sight, out of mind... just like the past decade of war. I'm not saying its right, but the lack of caring wasn't because it was in Africa.

Anyway, the other issues are mostly relevant, and sad.

It means that white artists are apparently allowed to perform but if they win awards or are too successful in any given year, then we have a problem?

Complete nonsense.

No. It means that rap music can't be the best thing ever, only when white people do it.

Malyse

It is silly but the piece works as intended, attention gained.
Nope, that's not it.

ICKE

Banned
Or maybe successful artists from other ethnic group is a testament to how influential rap is? People are always annoyed when their medium hits the mainstream and is adopted by a large spectrum of people. I really don't understand what the problem is here exactly, other than it not reflecting the struggles of a specific group anymore? That the genre receives more recognition now since people around the world tune in and countless artists create songs, various languages are used (other than English) and so on?

Every genre has its origins somewhere but things change, popularity, mainstream, shit happens, adapt, Darwin, gotta roll with it.

Malyse

Or maybe successful artists from other ethnic group is a testament to how influential rap is? People are always annoyed when their medium hits the mainstream and is adopted by a large spectrum of people. I really don't understand what the problem is here exactly, other than it not reflecting the struggles of a specific people anymore? That the genre receives more recognition now since people around the world tune in and countless artists create songs, various languages are used (other than English) and so on?
Go back to page two.

Malyse

What a clickbait-y headline.

Racism still exists and likely will continue to exist. We should be vigilant in combating it. America, as an institution, should afford rights to everyone equally. Also, I fully support the outrage over Michael Brown, and think that there is a systematic problem with police

That being said, screw that article (not really, but I do have a couple issues). They want to be taken seriously when they act offended that newspaper headlines made movie puns about 12 Years a Slave after winning best picture? That's what entertainment writers do. Entertainment Weekly has run its entire business around groan-worthy pun-headlines.

So 19 isn't okay, but the 12 Years a Slave thing is? Even though those are basically the same thing? "haha black people were slaves" isn't that far removed from "haha black people like watermelon". Pity you can't see that.

gugi40

This thread makes me so sad, it basically solidifies the racism that still falls on our society, and to see it in the media just shows how ignorant people are to the issue.
We should not accept anything that condones racism, ever.

In the past month, I have seen people (whom I used to consider progressive in their mindset) completely disregard the very obvious racism going on in the states. Some were saying disgusting things like "get over it, none of this is racist people need to stop whining and making racism a thing when it isn't" or posting things about any of the cases in the states where racism is so grossly prevalent and excusing the actions of these 'police' as "just doing their job".

I have been smh so much it might fall off, I have had enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom