• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Donkey Kong must come to Switch

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes its true donky kong 64 was crud buuuuuuuuuut tropical freeze mind blown make it in 3D gaming like this my friends

DonkeyKong_051713_1600.jpg

Fox Mulder

It’s lame they didn’t do a new trilogy. At least port DKCR or something.

Tropical Freeze came out 10 years ago on wiiu, wtf has Retro Studios even been doing.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

despite wanting Metroid Prime 4 more, i wish Retro Studios had released a third game to complete their Donkey Kong Country Returns trilogy, of course also expecting a 3D game by some other studio

Some of the best platformers ever made

Last edited:

Zannegan

I like DK64.
It's totally salvageable with just a few tweaks. Dual analogue would automatically help a lot for FPS and jetpacking sections. Then, not having everything reset each time you leave a level (and/or not kicking you out of a level every time you pick up a crystal coconut) would do wonders. Collecting 97 of one banana color onky to brush an objective and get booted from the level and start all over was enfuriating.

Those things plus a fresh coat of paint would do wonders for the game. Nintendo did it for Majora's Mask, so here's hoping DK64 gets the same treatment someday.

Co-op would also be lovely, but that would require way too much work. They don't even do full co-op in modern 3D Marios, except 3D World.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
despite wanting Metroid Prime 4 more, i wish Retro Studios had released a third game to complete their Donkey Kong Country Returns trilogy, of course also expecting a 3D game by some other studio

Some of the best platformers ever made
this post is genius my friends

i mean there's never been a good 3D donkey kong and the rare/retro 2D style is good so....no?

Now that retro are wrapping up the conceptual phase on metroid prime 4 and will be ready to begin pre-production in the next few years, they can begin conceptual planning for their 3rd 2D DK outing alongside that for an efficient turnaround.

Ozzie666

Where do I sign?
What time are we all gathering at Nintendo HQ to protest?
We also need to find out the hell Retro studios is actually doing, where is Metroid Prime 4, where are the other remakes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t know why they still haven’t remastered Returns. I got that game for Christmas when it came out and it genuinely rekindled my passion for gaming. Tropical Freeze may be better, but the simplicity and style of Returns was refreshing. I just hope that when they probably remaster it, they won’t add unnecessary stuff like the other Kongs.

It's totally salvageable with just a few tweaks. Dual analogue would automatically help a lot for FPS and jetpacking sections. Then, not having everything reset each time you leave a level (and/or not kicking you out of a level every time you pick up a crystal coconut) would do wonders. Collecting 97 of one banana color onky to brush an objective and get booted from the level and start all over was enfuriating.
DK64 was all kinds of wrong. There’s a good game in there and the level design is mind-boggling for its time (and it’s on a cart!), but it really does all it can to make you hate it. It has the size of Banjo-Tooie without the ingenuity, and Tooie is already way too much of a good thing as it is.

Astral Dog

I don’t know why they still haven’t remastered Returns. I got that game for Christmas when it came out and it genuinely rekindled my passion for gaming. Tropical Freeze may be better, but the simplicity and style of Returns was refreshing. I just hope that when they probably remaster it, they won’t add unnecessary stuff like the other Kongs.

DK64 was all kinds of wrong. There’s a good game in there and the level design is mind-boggling for its time (and it’s on a cart!), but it really does all it can to make you hate it. It has the size of Banjo-Tooie without the ingenuity, and Tooie is already way too much of a good thing as it is.
i agree, been saying this but DKC Returns has some advantages that make it a game worthy of a playthrough even after Tropical Freeze.its a great game,with fun , interesting levels and bosses.there is a ton of stuff that doesn't appear in the sequel

Tropical Freeze has better music and enemies(not necessarily better bosses but in their design),but imo it felt a little shorter

I was hoping to see a remaster but i think Nintendo will only count the 3DS version , and not bother since Tropical Freeze is already on the Switch and considered by fans the 'better' game.

Unless they come with some Virtual Console/Online service

Last edited:
Top Bottom