• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar must make the shooting in GTA as good as max payne 3

I had to play that video to remember what the animations were like for MP3. Quick body turning, infinite rolls, high dive jumps...

Feels great to play but it's far too game-y for current GTA and RDR. I guess I've reached the acceptance stage.

SJRB

Gold Member
Max Payne 3 is so fucking good. Playing through it again right now, holds up really well on pc. Still looks excellent too.

I love how you can only carry two sidearms and one rifle. The animation work on that is incredible. The reloading animations are all different depending on what weapons you're carrying and in which hands. It just feels ultra badass to shoot with a pistol while carrying a shotgun in your left hand and then bust through a door, holster the pistol and switch to the shotgun and start blasting.

Also an amazing story. Such a unique setting. Max completely out of his depth in a country he doesn't understand in more ways than one, slowly descending into mayhem and madness both out there and in his head.

The pumping soundtrack by HEALTH, James McCaffrey bringing his absolute a-game.

Top-tier experience.

Max Payne 3 is cool but cover mechanics killed the flow of the game. Max Payne 2 is the superior 3rd person shooter in my opinion.
There’s no way you played Max Payne 2 on harder difficulties without using any walls, pillars, corners, or doors as cover. Even if the game had no direct cover system, cover still became a necessity to not be killed fast in certain overwhelming situations. Diving strategically to get a kill or two in, then land behind cover, was a key to success.

I guess to me cover mechanics make sense if I was already using cover in MP1 and 2 anyway. Especially 1 as it felt more brutal than 2 imo.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There’s no way you played Max Payne 2 on harder difficulties without using any walls, pillars, corners, or doors as cover. Even if the game had no direct cover system, cover still became a necessity to not be killed fast in certain overwhelming situations. Diving strategically to get a kill or two in, then land behind cover, was a key to success.

I guess to me cover mechanics make sense if I was already using cover in MP1 and 2 anyway. Especially 1 as it felt more brutal than 2 imo.

No, I played on the default difficulty. It was picked as default by developers for a reason. Yes, sometimes you hide behind pillars etc. but it's always quick and responsive, none of that snap to cover to slow the flow bullshit from the 3rd one.

Cover + these unskippable little cutscenes when you enter a new room really were unnecessary additions to the game.

Pretty sure GTAV and RDR2 both can be like this if they shared the game gameplay as Max Payne 3 but they don't and that's why they aren't like Max Payne 3.

Think about it it has full freedom of movement to the point you can make Max faceplant into a wall while unloading an uzi onto NPC's.

It's only going to be like this if the gameplay requires it. It would be nice if the next GTA has freedom of movement like that of Max Payne 3 but I really don't see it happening.

Filben

The shooting and the precision while maintaining a sense of weight and momentum was pure excellence. Also those hitbox accuracy. Fucking ace.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Max Payne 3 controls were surely the Pinnacle of third person gaming controls. Makes me sad that they dumbed it down because it was just that good. But they did the same with Grand Theft Auto IV driving physics. If I could have both of these in Grand Theft Auto VI I'd be so happy

Hudo

If they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it for either GTA 5 or Red Dead 2, then chances are they won't do it for GTA 6.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How did Max Payne 3 sell compared to GTA V?

Because that’s what they’re going to look at and then have a hearty laugh that someone wants them to fix something.

Strategize

Won't happen. You need to understand that MP3's controls and animations specifically built around always being in combat, you place those systems into an open world sandbox where you're in combat far less and it starts to feel silly and un-immersive because the character might start doing these intense movements in a situation that's pretty laidback.

Now the answer to this is having different controls for when in a fight and when not. For example in TLOU Naughty Dog changes the movement speed of characters when in looting mode vs combat mode. But here's the problem with that, in a linear game the line between combat vs not is much clearer. But in an open sandbox the line becomes much more blurred when not on a mission, therefore without a ludicrous amount of testing to the point where it's not even worth it, animations could change on a whim when you think you're hidden from the police, or when you're casually doing some hunting with no immediate noticeable threat, meaning the animations of the character is almost spoiling the game in a way because the character knows when you're in danger before you even do.

Last edited:

Bond007

Been playing GTAOnline since the beginning and i still do.
Guess im just used to it, so im fine with how it is. I would like to see smoother animations though- just feels clunky and any shooting "skill" is marginal.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The shooting in MP3 wasn't that great, though. Sure, the hit physics were superb, but the actual guns sounded flat and had almost no recoil, so shooting them felt pretty limp.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The shooting and the precision while maintaining a sense of weight and momentum was pure excellence. Also those hitbox accuracy. Fucking ace.
giphy.gif

this is amarazing you have won the thread congratulations my friends mmmayyybe the best tps ever

Spyxos

Gold Member
dont understand why the the shooting in RDR and GTA is crud not like max payne 3 THE SAME COMPANY do this and it could bee the greatest game of all times its all true my friends

It won't happen, they have to play 10 animations before you can shoot.

Top Bottom