• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DFX Voodoo 6 PCI confirmed, will debut at CEC 2022

Kuranghi

Pretty mad, I had one of these back in the day, memories of applying glide patches to Tomb Raider II.

The "Lithium 775KD Smart TV" name makes me think its an OLED, since consumer LCD doesn't generally come in 77" size and I'd assume the 77 is the screensize.

edit - I realise now this is clearly silly nonsense 😂

Last edited:
PCI? An old card?
Was just about to say xD.

Still not sure if this is a troll or not, hopefully they're legit.

Man, if they were making a new video card for building a retro gaming PC with like Windows 98/XP... that'd actually be pretty cool.

There might be a profitable niche market for that tbh. A lot of older PC games & software still don't run very well on modern OSes. I bet people like LGR would love it, too.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
holy shit GIF

TheMan

More competition is better I guess. I wonder if any of the people behind the OG 3dfx are involved or if this is more of a modern day Atari situation

Last edited:
Yeah, no. I'm not buying it. Some company nobody has ever heard of bought the brand and now they're gonna have a GPU ready within a year?

This will either turn out to be a hoax or - and given the other totally unrelated shit they're working on, this seems more likely - end with them slapping the name on a bunch of Chinese OEM crap.

ethomaz

Banned
oh i meant that chinese multinational company , since it is buying everything these days
They are calling the Jansen Products brought the trademark from nVidia.
But it all that suspicious because I never saw that company before and the found nVidia guy is named Jansen.

The twitter says that is Jansen Products is a investment company seated in San Francisco but there is no relate of even a subsidiary called Jansen in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Hmmmm, I need a new dishwasher, hope 3dfx can deliver on that front.

Maybe I'll even get two of them and SLI them, get those dishes clean as quickly as possible.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hey I just built my first PC back in 2018 so anything predating that I only hear about in legends and fables.

What is this 3dfx?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hey I just built my first PC back in 2018 so anything predating that I only hear about in legends and fables.

What is this 3dfx?
They were the dominant manufacturer of GPUs (actually I think that’s before the term “GPU” was coined) back in the 90s. Then they went bankrupt and Nvidia bought all their IP in 2002.

JCK75

Anyone can make a twitter handle and start spouting bullshit, I see no reason to believe this is anything more than that (considering Nvidia owns the rights and the fact there has been no trademarks filed for any of those properties since the the late 90's)

Allandor

still thinking that this is some sort of bullsh*t.
3Dfx is dead :messenger_sad_relieved: and will be. There is no way they manage to get back into GPU business. Nvidia has all the trademarks and patents of the company. Ok, nvidia might have lost the trademark as they do not use it actively and you can normally only block a trademark as long as you have something you sell with it. So the name 3Dfx could be really free to use.

I still have my working V5 5500 AGP card here with an old PC. I would be one of the first who would buy an old voodoo graphics chip if I don't have it. But I really think this all is just a joke or they try to sell some cheap stuff with the name.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Voodoo cards were good back in the day because glide was the best and a ton of games worked better with it.

So what's the appeal now for a voodoo? Are they going to use a new API that is better than Direct X, Open GL and Vulkan?

WitchHunter

Banned
still thinking that this is some sort of bullsh*t.
3Dfx is dead :messenger_sad_relieved: and will be. There is no way they manage to get back into GPU business. Nvidia has all the trademarks and patents of the company. Ok, nvidia might have lost the trademark as they do not use it actively and you can normally only block a trademark as long as you have something you sell with it. So the name 3Dfx could be really free to use.
Ofc its bullshit. If they ever resurrect it will be from the middle of NVidia headqurters. Just like an alien, bursting out of them. In the middle of a press conference about the GForce 95000 with 12 fans and a 1KW power requirement. Jensen will tumble down the stairs, trying to reach his pills, but it will already be too late.

amigastar

Voodoo cards were good back in the day because glide was the best and a ton of games worked better with it.

So what's the appeal now for a voodoo? Are they going to use a new API that is better than Direct X, Open GL and Vulkan?
Better than DX and Vulkan? Unlikely.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Who can install a PCI card these days? Is PCIe BW compatible? I vaguely recall having both busses back when PCIe first launched. This is some sketchy shit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They screwed up their prank. There was already a voodoo 6

Or maybe I’m thinking of voodoo 5 6000🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom