• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a few new xbox360 UI pics

Joe

100_3294.JPG

100_3243.JPG

100_3296.JPG

the last picture made me extremely happy. it's VERY cool how the xbox live guide can still slide over even when you're watching tv.

edit: hopefully thats not a streaming video from a media center pc. :(

Deg

Banned
Last picture is probably streaming because i dont see any video in for xbox 360 at the back.

For the USB stoarage thing it would be nice if they added more to it than just the barebones.

Joe

can media center record in HD?

the only thing that gives me hope is that i remember reading that you could be in voice chat while watching tv and there would subtitles for the chatroom showing up on the bottom of the television. unless i completely read it wrong.

golem

supposedly cablecard support is coming in a MCE update this year.. supposedly. that would be useful if you can even get cablecard

sangreal

Thats definitely streaming, live or not. The X360 doesn't have a TV Tuner or any video in so that would be impossible otherwise.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That screen is from Super Bowl XXXVIII (over a year and a half ago), so it's obviously not live. They show it on the NFL network occasionally, but still, it's being streamed from something.

FightyF

Banned
sangreal said:
Thats definitely streaming, live or not. The X360 doesn't have a TV Tuner or any video in so that would be impossible otherwise.

I was just thinking though...it wouldn't be hard to release an external Tuner that connects via USB. In fact, there are some already out there...

ati_tv.jpg

Adds to the cost of the console if you bought it bundled...but considering that ATi and MS worked together on the 360...this seems like a good idea to me. A 360 specific branded one, made by ATi, would be great IMO. The specific branding would be good because it can be sold as a "Make your 360 into a Tivo" device, which would of course use the existing HDD to record shows onto.

dorio

Banned
What presentation are those pics from?

That's strange. So they want you to turn on your xbox select watch tv to watch tv in order to support this feature. Why not just put a tv in line and pass the video through it. Would that require a tv tuner to be built into the xbox?

dorio

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
I was just thinking though...it wouldn't be hard to release an external Tuner that connects via USB. In fact, there are some already out there...

ati_tv.jpg

Adds to the cost of the console if you bought it bundled...but considering that ATi and MS worked together on the 360...this seems like a good idea to me. A 360 specific branded one, made by ATi, would be great IMO. The specific branding would be good because it can be sold as a "Make your 360 into a Tivo" device, which would of course use the existing HDD to record shows onto.
Yeah, they could sell it as a package with a larger removeable harddrive and the extra software needed to support it although I still don't know how tivo functions could be handled when playing a game unless you put the processor in that tuner thing.

rastex

Banned
dorio said:
That's strange. So they want you to turn on your xbox select watch tv to watch tv in order to support this feature. Why not just put a tv in line and pass the video through it. Would that require a tv tuner to be built into the xbox?

Yes.

I don't really get why people are having a tough time understanding this.

You connect your X360 to your home network. Any shared media it finds on the network it will be able to stream over the network and onto your tv, all the while giving you the ability to switch to a game, and do Live stuff like voice chat, receive friend requests, etc. If you have a PC with Windows Media Center, then the X360 can perform more advanced functions as a Media Center Extender, meaning it can stream Live TV IF you can view Live TV on your PC already.

It's pretty similar to what XMBC does on the current Xbox except it's enhanced in that in can stream Live tv (with Media Center Edition) and you can do all the Live stuff while watching media. But it most likely won't have the cool things like Quicktime trailers, weather, and such.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Gek54 said:
So there are TV tuner PCI cards out there that accept HD signals?
Yes, but only compressed streams. Uncompressed HDTV (like capturing from component) is a different story.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The interface is lovely. It is the most navigable interface I've ever used. It makes Tivo seem complicated by comparison.

FightyF

Banned
100_3243.JPG

Didn't take the time to really take a look at this pic...does this mean that Live will also allow for something like HLTV? I thought seeing something about this but I wasn't sure if it was a dream or something :p.

If so, that's pretty cool. You can see the top players race...or even the best highlights. Imagine that for sports games!

tino

Banned
So you can get a WMC PC,with a over the air HD card to get HD signal, and X360 to watch you HDTV, while jaggling the X360 remote and your TV remote at the same time; or you can get a HD box from your cable provider, usually with free HD upgrade, and a HDMI connector or a DVI connector to connect to your HDTV directly.

Why would any HDTV owner who has done any research do that?

sangreal

Fight for Freeform said:
100_3243.JPG

Didn't take the time to really take a look at this pic...does this mean that Live will also allow for something like HLTV? I thought seeing something about this but I wasn't sure if it was a dream or something :p.

If so, that's pretty cool. You can see the top players race...or even the best highlights. Imagine that for sports games!

Yes.. This feature has been mentioned atleast 5 times in every 360 related interview :lol

Top Bottom