• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Medical Emergency, and the Growing Crisis at Immigration Detention Centers

WedgeX

Banned
The New Yorker said:
Georgia has the fourth-largest number of immigrant detainees in the country, with more than two thousand typically held on a daily basis—nearly as many as Arizona. In May, Project South, a Georgia-based nonprofit focussed on immigrant advocacy, released a report, co-authored with Penn State Law’s Center for Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, detailing a twelve-month study of Stewart and another Georgia facility, Irwin County Detention Center. Both are run by private companies. The report declared that conditions in both are in violation not only of Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s own guidelines but of those established, in 2012, by the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. The report recommended shutting down the two centers immediately.

On the afternoon that I visited Perdomo-Vaidez, he had just seen a doctor for only the second time since entering Stewart. (This second appointment had been arranged by the Southern Poverty Law Center.) Perdomo-Vaidez sustained a serious injury to his left arm prior to being detained; while we spoke, he held the arm aloft, above his heart, to prevent it from swelling and turning purple. He had begun to fear that he would lose all or part of it. “Nobody tells me what might happen to my arm or hand,” he told me. “They just offer more pills that don’t help.” Heval Kelli, the Atlanta-based doctor who was allowed to voluntarily assess him that day, concluded in his medical evaluation that, without specialized orthopedic care and rigorous rehabilitation, Perdomo-Vaidez could expect “further complications, including serious infection, clots and the inability to use his left arm and hand.” (Bryan Cox, a spokesman for ice, denies that Perdomo-Vaidez requires orthopedic treatment, and told me that the detained man has received “all appropriate necessary medical treatment while in ice custody.”)

Less than two weeks after Project South released its May report, two detainees died in custody at Georgia detention centers, one of them at Stewart. A Panamanian detainee who was held in isolation for nearly three weeks committed suicide; days later, an Indian detainee died, reportedly from congestive heart failure. A hundred and seventy-seven people have died in U.S. immigration detention centers since October 1, 2003, according to the nonprofit Community Initiatives for Visiting Immigrants in Confinement. Six of those deaths have occurred in Georgia. “Subpar medical care has contributed to nearly half of the death cases we have analyzed nationally, and substandard medical care has been evident in nearly ninety per cent of the cases,” Christina Fialho, the co-executive director of the group, told me.

Stories abound. Ariel Prado, who has helped provide pro-bono legal services to detainees at the South Texas Family Residential Center, the largest immigration detention center in the U.S., recalls Vicks VapoRub being used “as a kind of ‘cure-all,’ ” he told me. “The liquid version was even poured into a child’s ear to ‘treat’ an earache.” The Project South report describes a Chinese man with a broken leg who waited a month for X-rays, and a Nigerian man with “lumps in his chest,” who told a Project South interviewer that “blood had begun discharging from my breast. When I requested medical care, sometimes no one would reply. I was not given medical care until ice later approved it. When I reached out for medical help, I was placed in solitary.”

Shahshahani, of Project South, told me, “My fear is that, with the further explosion of the immigration detention system, which we’re definitely going to see—unless Congress really takes a stronger step in denying funding to the Trump Administration—I think that will result in even worse conditions.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...owing-crisis-at-immigration-detention-centers

Lots of concerns arise with Trump's attempts to deport even more people - rising rates of people being detained, further increasing the number of private, for-profit prisons. We must too be vigilant about conditions inside these prisons while advocates work to get people out.

Linkura

Sounds about right, unfortunately. I believe the majority of immigration detention centers are run by for-profit companies, which means this shit is going to be rampant.

Guevara

“Subpar medical care has contributed to nearly half of the death cases we have analyzed nationally, and substandard medical care has been evident in nearly ninety per cent of the cases,”

No disrespect, but you could probably say the same about U.S. citizens.

Wilsongt

"ILLEGAL immigrants aren't US citizens. They're not entitled to health care. That money should be spent giving medical care to homeless veterns and children.

As long as it doesn't happen in my neighborhood.

Or use my tax dollars.

Never mind. Fuck them too."

/sarcasm bolded because sarcasm detectors are broken lately.

Top Bottom