• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A reminder that Ubisoft will shut down servers for 15 games on September 1st. Including Splinter Cell Blacklist, Assassins Creed 2, Anno 2070 and FC3

Rykan

And here I thought paying for MP was supposed to help keep servers online.

It's almost like they were just lying about it.
At no point were you paying for server upkeep for third party games that were hosted by third party publishers.

TexMex

Show me where Microsoft/Sony ever said your XBL/PS Plus money was going to maintain the servers owned and run by other companies entirely.

Then why was I paying in the first place? For offline games?

You are paying for access to their networks and other ancillary benefits like store discounts, monthly freebies, etc.

Hoddi

Show me where Microsoft/Sony ever said your XBL/PS Plus money was going to maintain the servers owned and run by other companies entirely.

You are paying for access to their networks and other ancillary benefits like store discounts, monthly freebies, etc.
Paying for XBL was also always horseshit.

TexMex

At this point, a third party MP supplier or provider ought to step in and maintain these "abandoned" online services to those who still want to be able to play around or access them.

It probably isn't worth anyone's time. These games aren't arbitrarily taken down. the number of people firing up Far Cry 3 multiplayer must be absolutely miniscule at this point.

Rykan

Then why was I paying in the first place? For offline games?
What you're actually paying for: Almost pure profits for the platform holder. All consoles are a walled garden, and you have no alternatives within that garden. So you're basically forced to pay if you want to play online.

What you're "Technically" paying for: The infrastructure like Matchmaking, chat system, message system, etc. Thing is, none of that money goes to third party publishers. So if a publisher like Ubisoft decides to use servers for their matchmaking or for hosting matches, they don't get paid for that. That's why they'll just shut it down whenever they feel like it.

Still unsure what happens to installed games with a save that includes the DLC.

In AC2 having a proper save also allows access to the DLC, and those servers were down a year ago.

Played through Brotherhood and Revelations the past month, and have 3 installed with a 100% completion. Curious what happens. Also installed Blacklist, Far Cry 3 and Driver SF just to be safe.

Hope that is enough to retain access. If not, I'll have to find another way...

mitch1971

There is quite a few playing the PS3 AC brotherhood MP atm because of this, to get the last of the MP trophies. I got my a few days ago.

Miles708

You pay for online only because you showed that you're willing to pay for online. That's genuinely it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do we have an estimation of how it costs to keep servers online?
Basically zero nowadays, servers also scale based on demand. It's still Ubisoft, however the way it's one, is basically you have some microservice which monitor which MP they want to access and based on that they are spawning/de-spawning containers is that lobby/server. It's just that you have to maintain code, based on changing dependencies, OS libraries and so on. And I guess they don't want to do it.

winjer

Gold Member
Ubisoft could at least release the server SDK for gamers to create their own servers, if they wanted to.
This is nothing out of the ordinary. Some years ago, all games came with their tools for gamers to create and customize their servers.
Sadly the gaming industry is now run by selfish twats, that have no concern or respect for their clients.

Larxia

It's sad for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, it really had the best multiplayer in the series, great memories. I will play at one last time before it closes.

fatmarco

Will we be able to buy them digitally still?

I know when Microsoft turned off the servers for the 360 Halo games, they also removed them from the store, including the digital version of the original Halo 1, which is an important relic as it was the only version of Halo 1 available to buy that was the true original xbox code (emulated accurately through the 360 backwards compatibility).

Laptop1991

I own AC 2, Brotherhood and Revelations on PC, so if there is SP content unavailable, then Ubisoft wont get my support anymore, they introduced a patch for Origins recently that causes crashing for a lot of users, it still isn't fixed after 2 months, they have become worse than EA now.

you rented them. you never owned them.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

I own AC 2, Brotherhood and Revelations on PC, so if there is SP content unavailable, then Ubisoft wont get my support anymore, they introduced a patch for Origins recently that causes crashing for a lot of users, it still isn't fixed after 2 months, they have become worse than EA now.
There are save files floating around the Steam forums that will activate the DLC for you. I tested this for Assassins Creed 2 and it gave me access to all the DLC (I own the Deluxe edition but the servers have been down for a while).

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

There are save files floating around the Steam forums that will activate the DLC for you. I tested this for Assassins Creed 2 and it gave me access to all the DLC (I own the Deluxe edition but the servers have been down for a while).
Mine are only on Uplay or connect as i didn't want to run 2 launchers, will the saves still work, cheers for the info.

It probably isn't worth anyone's time. These games aren't arbitrarily taken down. the number of people firing up Far Cry 3 multiplayer must be absolutely miniscule at this point.
Hmm. Possibly, but it could be a potential business model in the making.

Last edited:
Mine are only on Uplay or connect as i didn't want to run 2 launchers, will the saves still work, cheers for the info.
Yes I have the Ubi version as well.

Here's what you need for AC2. Brotherhood and Revelations are still up, so installing the game and making a new save should be enough to get all the Ubi rewards / DLC missions.

Only thing that is missing is The Lost Archive, no longer purchasable on Ubi store, but that was shit DLC anyway.

As per their official news, Ubisoft ceased their support for their old games, including AC2. I, too, am currently replaying AC2 and yes, the unlockables are locked even though I am playing the Deluxe edition.

I'm using my old save file to unlock it. Here you can use my old save file from my old, forgotten account. Good thing I have a backup and only AC2 was in my old Uplay account.
tongue.png

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bplsw.../ACII.zip/file

It will activate the Templar lairs, Auditore tomb, Altair outfit, & extra knives. It will not replace your existing progress save.

As usual backup your save files first just to be sure!

To use the save and synchronized with the cloud:

1. Leave Cloud sync enabled
2. start the game, and while in the menu, minimize the game
3. replace 2.save (the smaller file) if you have any then exit the game.
4. It should upload the new saves on the Cloud.
5. Restart game to see if it worked.

save file location:
[installation location]\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[Unique ubisoft ID code]\4

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yes I have the Ubi version as well.

Here's what you need for AC2. Brotherhood and Revelations are still up, so installing the game and making a new save should be enough to get all the Ubi rewards / DLC missions.

Only thing that is missing is The Lost Archive, no longer purchasable on Ubi store, but that was shit DLC anyway.

Thanks, appreciate the help (y)

Sadly the file is no longer available, but got 1 via Steam, thanks again.

Last edited:
Two things i do when i see a game i want to buy;

-How is the single player and if I need internet to play.

-If have DRM (always online)

If the game has either of those two things, I don't buy it because I know it will become a paperweight in the future. As a collector i abhor this practice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom