• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC/DC and Axl: Please remain seated for the duration of the concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Safety

AC/DC played its first concert with Axl Rose in Lisbon, which is a place in Europe, yesterday. There's a video of the concert on Youtube.

I think Axl did very well. He's still recovering from a broken foot, so he's sitting for the entire show. And the video is very grainy, but I think at one point he eats a sandwich or something (minute 40).

AC/DC does a good mix of Bon Scott and Brian Johnson stuff, and I think Axl does both justice. Oh, and I thought for sure they might do a cover of a Guns and Roses song, but I guess the band hasn't done a cover since School Days or Baby Please Don't Go.

You can watch the show here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS79xUdAgiE

Kibbles

A lot of artists would sound better if they weren't running around, don't heal too soon now Axl :p

Some clips of his rehearsals started making their rounds a week ago, and I agree, they sound good. I was first in line to denounce this, but I'll eat some crow.

Bedlam

Considering going to the Leipzig gig. I've been to 10 AC/DC concerts and I thought that'd be enough but I'm also curious. This is so weird.

Anyway, he sounds good. Without Brians running around it's not the same energy though. I hope he Axl's leg will be fine by the time GNR announce a Europe tour.

MC Safety

There's a setlist here:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/watch-axl-rose-play-his-first-show-with-acdc/

And Axl told the BBC he'd be open to joining the band. I doubt that would work, but it makes for a good sound bite.

"During an interview with BBC 6 Music's Matt Everitt, Rose stated about his plans with AC/DC after the European shows: 'There's makeup dates in the States, and if I don't get throw out before then, I'm looking forward to doing [them]. I think after that, it's about what they wanna do. I'm in if they want me in, and we'll sort it out, but right now that's getting ahead of ourselves with everything else that's on the table.'"

If nothing else, I might consider seeing this reconfigured AC/DC if I can get tickets for one of the rescheduled American tour dates.

Hurley

Vocally he's sounding great, a lot better then I thought he would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf5wl6mfLo

Hope he doesn't blow out his voice during these shows as he still has the GNR tour a head of him.

I also read that the songs were in standard tuning? And that they hadn't been played that way in quite a while? I don't know what that means but I saw some AC/DC fans were happy about that.

BFIB

Vocally he's sounding great, a lot better then I thought he would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf5wl6mfLo

Hope he doesn't blow it his voice during these shows as he still has the GNR tour a head of him.

I also read that the songs were in standard tuning? And that they hadn't been played that way in quite a while? I don't know what that means but I saw some AC/DC fans were happy about that.
They went down a few notches since Johnsons voice hasn't been able to get up to his usual level.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It still blows my mind that things have been patched up enough for an arena and stadium tour with Slash and Duff with GN'R, and now he gets to play with AC/DC, who obviously influenced GN'R and they had been covering that band since the beginning. He must be pretty pleased.

Sounded amazing actually, like 80's Axl.

I mean, I wouldn't go anywhere near that far, this is what he sounded like singing AC/DC almost 30 years ago in 1987.

Guns N' Roses - Whole Lotta Rosie (London 06.28.1987)

30 years is a long time, not his fault, and it's not easy for a guy to screech like that.

I don't know what you're referring to, but a lot of their studio recordings aren't at 440Hz (concert pitch), it's generally assumed that the tape speeds were tweaked during recording.

They went down a few notches since Johnsons voice hasn't been able to get up to his usual level.

that also makes sense

Good I hate Axl. I mean it kind of works because there vocals for that band have always been "rough", but old sitting down Axl is not what I want to see at an AC/DC concert.

Marvie_3

Banned
This doesn't work for me at all. Its not as bad as I thought it would be, but it just sounds like a cover band.

G-Bus

Banned
I font know exactly why but this bothers me. it doesn't sound bad per se...

him sitting down in a wheel chair doesn't help.

Sorcerer

I was thinking Axl was a good fit for Brian's songs, but he is doing the Bon era justice as well. Quite surprised.

C4Lukins

As Daltrey said, it feels like kareoke. Axl actually sounds good, but nothing about that feels like ACDC. It just comes off as sad. Almost like a tribute band.

jesu

This is too good to be true.

Fake edit: Holy shit he actually does!

Real edit: He sounds pretty good in that Shoot to Thrill video.

At what time does he eat the sandwich?
I want to see that.
Not seeing it at 40 mins.

RoKKeR

At what time does he eat the sandwich?
I want to see that.
Not seeing it at 40 mins.

Right around 40:40 it looks like he eats something and then starts bopping his head to the beat. I think... that's what I want to see at least.

tanooki27

As Daltrey said, it feels like kareoke. Axl actually sounds good, but nothing about that feels like ACDC. It just comes off as sad. Almost like a tribute band.

while watching those videos, take a close look at axl's face. he is entranced yet again by the power of rock. I think it's quite nice this is happening - for everyone except Brian, of course

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wait what's he doing over there??? He's suppose to be starting the guns and roses tour here in the states soon. He better not bail on that, tickets were expensive as all hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom