• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to job offers, Bend Studios' next project will be an AAA live service game

bitbydeath

This has been known for a while, it’s a single player game set in an open world with vehicles and contains multiplayer elements, and it’s
building off the engine they created for Days Gone.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After playing TLOU2 and GOT, the combat in Days Gone, especially the Melee was just not on par with the other studios, was a huge drop in quality.
Its not that infuriating to me, they might end up making a good game
The game was a tps at his core, it was not as good as tlou2 shooting sure, but the melee wasn't the focus, it's like trashing horizon because the melee was trash.

The melee in tsushima was as basic as it comes, the stance system was not deep at all, just a damage bonus against specific classes of enemies, nowhere near the stance system of niho, and if we talk about games mostly based on parry, sekiro was just another league in term of challenge and variety.
Stealth was also pretty embarassing, with a very stupid IA.

I liked DG much more overall, tsushima really felt like ac japan with slightly better combat and plot\characters, the art design of the location was by far the best thing in the game.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The game was a tps at his core, it was not as good as tlou2 shooting sure, but the melee wasn't the focus, it's like trashing horizon because the melee was trash.

The melee in tsushima was as basic as it comes, the stance system was not deep at all, just a damage bonus against specific classes of enemies, nowhere near the stance system of niho.
Stealth was also pretty embarassing, with a very stupid IA.

I liked DG much more overall, tsushima really felt like ac japan with slightly better combat and plot\characters, the art design of the location was by far the best thing in the game.
Horizon’s combat against the robots and TLOU2’s combat overall was just way better.
There was nothing good about Days Combat for me.

GOT was pretty good when it comes to sword combat, not many other games beat it apart from Sekiro imo. Nioh it just too different of a game And Ninja Theory does great combat so its not issue losing to them. Just like ROR has great fun combat. The stealth when You level up and take out big units and camps was pretty good when combined with your fighting. For me anyway, each to there own.

For me, combat and gameplay is more important than the open world design stuff. Which is why I prefer them to Days gone despite Spiderman, Horizon and GOT not bring anything new to the open world genre gameplay wise.

Days Gone Ill return to one day, the production looks good and everyone recommended it to me, but it was the only 1st party game last gen, I couldnt even bother to finish after a few hours Because the core combat was not good enough for me. Maybe because I went from the melee in TLOU2 which was fantastic to Days Gone and thought wtf is this…

Same as Kingdom Come, everything about the game is great, but the combat was so bad I couldnt even play anymore.

GymWolf

Horizon’s combat against the robots and TLOU2’s combat overall was just way better.
There was nothing good about Days Combat for me.

GOT was pretty good when it comes to sword combat, not many other games beat it apart from Sekiro imo. Nioh it just too different of a game And Ninja Theory does great combat so its not issue losing to them. Just like ROR has great fun combat. The stealth when You level up and take out big units and camps was pretty good when combined with your fighting. For me anyway, each to there own.

For me, combat and gameplay is more important than the open world design stuff. Which is why I prefer them to Days gone despite Spiderman, Horizon and GOT not bring anything new to the open world genre gameplay wise.

Days Gone Ill return to one day, the production looks good and everyone recommended it to me, but it was the only 1st party game last gen, I couldnt even bother to finish after a few hours Because the core combat was not good enough for me. Maybe because I went from the melee in TLOU2 which was fantastic to Days Gone and thought wtf is this…

Same as Kingdom Come, everything about the game is great, but the combat was so bad I couldnt even play anymore.
Horizon combat was better sure (first game was my past gotg so yeah...) and the gunplay\animations were another world in tlou2, sure.

Days gone had a lot of emergent gameplay between humans, infected, animals etc. and both stealth and action had way more variety than tlou2 ever had because you had more gadgets and just the open world structure that give you more variety by default, also the hordes were pretty cool and you can weaponize them against enemy camps.

Agree to disagree on tushsima, to me it felt very basic, very easy after a while and the stance system was a joke, taking big camps is always satisfying in every decent game but the ia during stealth was atrocious and by half game you had so many op gadgets to use, at a certain point i stopped doing things stealthly because it was way too easy.

Days gone was also fucked in the ass by some reviewers that really lowered the mc because deacon had a fucking libido for his wife, not that the mc score count something for me, but still...

Last edited:
Neat. If that's the case, then I want to partially thank the "good" people in the gaming press for being complicit in pushing the future of the studio into this direction with their "encouragement".

Ah, and when it inevitably flops no doubt Sony will close them instead of taking ownership for forcing them to do the game.
Sony wanted them to make an Uncharted game but Bend wanted to work on their own IP and Sony let them do it.

This game is the one that Bend wanted to make and it's not a surprise that he will have a multiplayer mode because from the pitch of Days Gone 2, it will also have had a multiplayer mode.

winjer

Gold Member
The Wire GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This may be my last generation. Devs today are probably younger than me who didn’t grow up playing the kinda games I did. Probably grew up on Fortnite. So of course that’s what they wanna make. They simply don’t make games for me, they make what they know.

I have zero interest in live service
I'm gonna assume that the average game dev is 20-30 years old... those guys grew up on dead space, mass effect, DMC, MGS, uncharted and bungie halo.

definitely not Fortnite. This is just execs asking for more GaaS after it made them obscene money with Helldivers 2

mdkirby

🤮would have bought days gone 2 in a heartbeat. Likelihood of playing a game by yet another single player studio wrecking themselves on the alter of GAAS is practically zero.

Yes helldivers is great. A game that follows a great multiplayer game, by a studio that only makes multiplayer games.

I can already see the writing on the wall, and this will will be the death of Bend. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

Jakk

This may be my last generation. Devs today are probably younger than me who didn’t grow up playing the kinda games I did. Probably grew up on Fortnite. So of course that’s what they wanna make. They simply don’t make games for me, they make what they know.

Do you really think the average developer has any say in what the company is going to do?

And now they chase the Helldivers II lightning in a bottle instead of Fortnite… This industry will never learn. For every Helldivers II there’s a Division, Anthem, Destiny, Avengers, Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It really seems my times with Sony consoles will come to an end at this generation, their western exclusives dont appeal to me anymore + their shift to gaas + everything coming to PC eventually.

As soon as the Geforce 5 series launch its probably going to be time to jump ship and join the freacking master race.

WoJ

So this is what we get instead of Days Gone 2? I'd have pre-ordered a DG2. I will intentionally not be purchasing whatever GAAS crap they shit out.

xrnzaaas

Surprised at the amount of hate these news seem to be getting right after we, as a gaming community, saw how great Helldivers II turned out.
Releasing a live service game is like playing russian roulette with several live rounds in the chamber. Not only you need to make a great game, but also match the current trends (which is not easy if the development takes several years) and convince players to come instead of having them stick with their usual games. Plus it's crucial there's nothing else coming out that could distract the players from your game.

Also, from the player's perspective, there's always a risk that the monetization is too aggressive or that there's not enough fresh content.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Surprised at the amount of hate these news seem to be getting right after we, as a gaming community, saw how great Helldivers II turned out.
People are gonna complain no matter what and then complain some more about how long it takes for major titles to release, ignoring that revenue to support the development of said titles needs to come from somewhere.

Last edited:
Oh well, I just hope it's more of a Helldivers 2, rather than a Redfall.
Doubt Sony will release game in early access (Redfall). Sure it will be closer to Helldivers 2. They are serious about GAAS initiative.

With that said, always puzzles me when people who like SP games want more Helldivers 2 than Redfall.

Redfall - 20 hrs one and done campaign.

Helldivers 2 - Procedurally generated endless coop shooter with battle pass progression.

If you like SP games, I would imagine people would want something similar to Redfall than Helldivers 2, no?

Doubt Sony will release game in early access (Redfall). Sure it will be closer to Helldivers 2. They are serious about GAAS initiative.

With that said, always puzzles me when people who like SP games want more Helldivers 2 than Redfall.

Helldivers 2 - Procedurally generated endless coop shooter with battle pass progression.

If you like SP games, I would imagine people would want something similar to Redfall than Helldivers 2, no?

Maybe because one game is super fun to play with AAA production values and the other is a hot pile of trash?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

?

You're mixing single-player and campaign-based games, completely different things. You can have a single-player game with a infinitely replayable structure like Helldivers 2.

Last edited:

Elios83

The game will be single player with multiplayer component.
If GaaS means having a chance at being another Helldivers2 that's only good for them.

?

You're mixing single-player and campaign-based games, completely different things. You can have a single-player game with a infinitely replayable structure like Helldivers 2.
Helldivers 2 style SP game?

Which one?

Roguelites aren’t it. You can finish those games.

Monster hunter too I think is closer to a SP style games cause they keep introducing new monsters, and once you have killed the trouble maker, big monster you can call it quits.

………………

Am puzzled with this cause only recently I started playing GAAS titles. Campaign based games I find much easier to get into and have fun.

With battle pass progression, I normally bounce in 10-15 hrs.

This may be my last generation. Devs today are probably younger than me who didn’t grow up playing the kinda games I did.
I don't know about my last 'generation' but I really see this time frame as the last time I buy any of the consoles. I realize at my age( 46) that I'm slowly aging out of the trends dominating modern gaming( at least AAA gaming with a few exceptions). I'll always have a PC of some form and I'm into the PC handhelds but the idea of a PS6 or Xbox Series whatever in 3-4 years doesn't remotely excite me.

Guilty_AI

Helldivers 2 style SP game?

Which one?

Roguelites aren’t it. You can finish those games.

Monster hunter too I think is closer to a SP style games cause they keep introducing new monsters, and once you have killed the trouble maker, big monster you can call it quits.

………………

Am puzzled with this cause only recently I started playing GAAS titles. Campaign based games I find much easier to get into and have fun.

With battle pass progression, I normally bounce in 10-15 hrs.
Any game with a solid enough gameplay loop can be played forever, including roguelites where you don't necessarily beat just once or twice, especially if they're sufficiently randomized.

Many of them also capitalize on such elements, creating structures that can be fun to play through as many times as you want, until you get bored of the game itself. Great examples of such games are Factorio, Mount&Blade, X4, many racing/driving games, Rimworld, Kerbal Space Program, Dwarf Fortress, etc.

Thats also not including campaign-based games whose mechanics and campaigns are robust enough to sustain thousands of hours of replayability, like BG3 or Skyrim.

Last edited:
The situation of Bend Studio since they released Days Gone is a good example of what's going on with the Western studios and why execs crying "industry crisis" is bullshit. These are the facts:

- Days Gone sells 9 million copies and becomes a commercial success. However, critics hate it because "white man on a bike".

- Against any business sense, Sony rejects Days Gone 2 and fires the directors.

- 5 years later, all Bend has shown is a new logo.

- Bend Studio has zero experience in GaaS.

So, regardless of the quality or future success of the new game, we have a studio that has chosen to play Russian roulette over a safe product that FANS WANT. It's Suicide Squad all over again. Even if the game turned out great, this is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Fake

And somehow people still use Helldrive as an argument for making GAAS. How can someone read what ND studios wrote about their reason to cancel their GAAS game and still have the stupid ideia of 'hey Helldrive is good I don't see why Bend can do it too'.

I wish good luck for both Sony and their fanboys.

Any game with a solid enough gameplay loop can be played forever, including roguelites where you don't necessarily beat just once or twice, especially if they're sufficiently randomized.

Many of them also capitalize on such elements, creating structures that can be fun to play through as many times as you want, until you get bored of the game itself. Great examples of such games are Factorio, Mount&Blade, X4, many racing/driving games, Rimworld, Kerbal Space Program, Dwarf Fortress, etc.

Thats also not including campaign-based games whose mechanics and campaigns are robust enough to sustain thousands of hours of replayability, like BG3 or Skyrim.
Interesting.

I generally consider gameplay loop to be something outside core gunplay/combat etc.

All the examples you mentioned, i consider their gameplay loop to be pretty complex and likely satisfying (haven’t played most of them).

In that sense, gameplay loop of Helldivers invariably includes it’s progression system outside core combat. Thats where I hit the wall mostly. Mostly cause I have always played SP games. But a lot of my friends are into games like Helldivers 2 so obviously it varies.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Two years ago Bend said this :

“We are currently working on a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone, but brings you a whole new world that we are extremely excited to craft for you. We cannot wait to reveal it to you when the time is right.”

The way they are talking about it made me think that he would be a single player game with a multiplayer mode maybe something like Ghost of Tsushima.

Apparently from David Jaffe, they are not using Unreal Engine 5 but the Decima Engine for their new IP and he seem to be right because from the LinkedIn of someone working at Bend where was the mention of the Decima engine among the tools that he’s worked with for this project.

Other interesting information the studio will utilize motion matching technology to implement more realistic and seamless animations in its next title

https://segmentnext.com/days-gone-decima/

Are people ignoring this post on purpose ? We knew 2 years ago that the new game would have multiplayer and open world (most likely co-cop). I’m looking forward since Days Gone was amazing.

Last edited:
Live service can mean so many things. The game couid still be a single player title and be live service.

Whatever it is I hope it is way less bloated than Days Gone 🤮

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Sounds like days gone 2, but with an end game with biker gang stuff to do?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The situation of Bend Studio since they released Days Gone is a good example of what's going on with the Western studios and why execs crying "industry crisis" is bullshit. These are the facts:

- Days Gone sells 9 million copies and becomes a commercial success. However, critics hate it because "white man on a bike".

- Against any business sense, Sony rejects Days Gone 2 and fires the directors.

- 5 years later, all Bend has shown is a new logo.

So, regardless of the quality or future success of the new game, we have a studio that has chosen to play Russian roulette over a safe product that FANS WANT. It's Suicide Squad all over again. Even if the game turned out great, this is a recipe for disaster.

Days Gone was a commercial failure. The developer bemoaned the fact that not enough people bought it at full price which hurt its viability. 8 million sold ain't what it used to be, especially today.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And somehow people still use Helldrive as an argument for making GAAS. How can someone read what ND studios wrote about their reason to cancel their GAAS game and still have the stupid ideia of 'hey Helldrive is good I don't see why Bend can do it too'.

I wish good luck for both Sony and their fanboys.

Different games require different post launch support?

Not that complicated really.

YuLY

It is something that I've come to realize also. I keep hoping another dev comes out with the next Mass Effect or the next FEAR, something iconic that is great, with good writing no politics etc. But then I realize, the people that could make those games, are for the most part, gone from the industry. Either due to age, or attrition by seeing how volatile it is and that their skills could be better used somewhere more stable.

There is just very few that can still make PS2-era or PS3-era types of games, with just a good story, a game you can finish over the weekend and no politics. And lets be honest, in part it is our fault also, as gamers; we saw how people laughed at Rise of the Ronin for having late PS3 era graphics, and then we complain there are no AA games or less and less traditional games.

Good thing I have built a library of games already, cause it seems my one hobby is going down the drain.

Top Bottom