• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Additional Metallica + Gaga Collaborations Are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I expected to laugh at this collaboration but ended up liking it. Sort of felt like Rhapsody of Fire or Dragonforce.

urge26

I think you need to listen to St. Anger again. Because it's awful, and the new album is not.

Even Pitchfork didn't hate it: "Make no mistake—Hardwired... is easily Metallica’s best album since 1991’s landmark self-titled LP, a victory on par with Weezer’s White Album for comeback of the year. But as was the case with Cuomo and company, the album fails to convince non-diehards what, exactly, we look for from Metallica these days."

I still haven't listened to it yet, I enjoyed Death Magnetic a lot.

janoDX

It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger. It's worse than St. Anger.

You have the worst taste I have ever seen in GAF, like, the worst.

MrS

Banned
I think you need to listen to St. Anger again. Because it's awful, and the new album is not.
The Lemmy tribute song is fucking garbage too. They should be embarrassed that they put out something so bad as a tribute to one of the all time greats. It just feels like they put no effort in to the album. Death Magnetic was considerably better imo. It goes without saying that nothing they've put out in the last 17 years is as good as their output in the 80s.

You have the worst taste I have ever seen in GAF, like, the worst.
Boohoo
Queen fan tho. FOH with that dad rock shit

MrS

Banned

OW! Right in the edge! Sure showed me! Sorry my music isn't hip enough for you!
My username is in reference to an anime that referenced Queen, but you're smart enough to know that
Just kidding no you're not.
>anime fan
>questions other peoples intelligence and taste

ok m8 u win i'm sorry

>anime fan
>questions other people's intelligence and taste

ok m8 u win i'm sorry

You know
there comes a certain point where you delve so far into your own stupidity that most self aware people take a look at themselves and say "wow, I really am being dumb, sorry guys!" and move on with their life.
Though unfortunately you've clearly passed it and seem to be digging your hole deeper.
But hey, I'll give you a helping hand and point you in the right direction to help you get home.
http://www.4chan.org/
https://www.reddit.com/

please plague some other site with your edge.

She'd be good for them, I think

But aren't they in pretty different places politically? I'm basing this on an old Hetfield interview I read a long time ago. He could have changed in that time

You mean the interview where he said his lifestyle doesn't jive with the people in San Francisco? That in no way implies he's a Republican or Trump supporter, just someone who doesn't like to be looked down on because he hunts/wants privacy on his property.

To put on a Jazz collab two years ago then straight to metal

She might be the most talented singer who is active as far as genres go, she can fit in anything she tries to fit in

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
You mean the interview where he said his lifestyle doesn't jive with the people in San Francisco? That in no way implies he's a Republican or Trump supporter, just someone who doesn't like to be looked down on because he hunts/wants privacy on his property.

No, I don't think that came up, nor did the question of personal privacy. This was a long-ass time ago. Black Album. I remember thinking jeeze, kind of a turn from the old "And Justice..." days

Everybody kind of lost their minds in the 90s though, it's cool. Another poster already answered my question

komarkaze

I liked their Grammy collaboration and look forward to an album. If they decide to tour, they must get Babymetal for their opening act. They'd be a perfect complement to the mashup lunacy with their female pop vocals and heavy metal sound. Plus they've opened for Lady Gaga and Metallica on separate occasions.

She might be the most talented singer who is active as far as genres go, she can fit in anything she tries to fit in

Let the metalheads decide that. The jury is still out. All that twerking or whatever she was doing wasn't too metal to me.

Nodnol

I have a pretty diverse taste in music, but pop is right at the bottom when it comes to genres I like.

I LOVE Gaga though. I love her persona, personality and talent. I saw her, when she first hit the scene, as our generation's Madonna, but her talent and diversity is just fantastic. I've not listened to all her music or albums, because I'm more interested in her.

I find her utterly perplexing...in a good way. There's just something about her; I find her so bewildering attractive too.

Would love to hear her branch out and tackle other genres, so a collaboration with Metallica on a bigger scale would be great. There's other rock/metal acts I'd love to see her work with, but can't imagine they'd do it for fear of ruining their image.

This is literally exactly what I've always wanted. Gaga doing metal.

Amazing news for me. I hope now that they have more time, they could blend it together even tighter.

Ratrat

She is super versatile for sure. Not sure if her country thing was sucessful, but even The Fame showed her tackling different styles from song to song.

Seems like 2 desperate artists trying hard to be relevant again.

Gaga last album was a major flop, not surprised she's trying to link up with another irrelevant act for relevance

Yeah, Metallica is really struggling for relevancy. Oh, look, it's the top selling metal albums of 2016...

1. Metallica - Hardwired... To Self Destruct (Blackened Recordings) - 516,000 copies sold
  2. Disturbed - Immortalized (Reprise) - 298,000 copies sold
  3. Metallica - Metallica [Black Album] (Blackened Recordings) - 267,500 copies sold
  4. Metallica - Master of Puppets (Blackened Recordings) - 163,000 copies sold
  5. Metallica - ...And Justice for All (Blackened Recordings) - 155,000 copies sold
  6. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Blackened Recordings) - 153,000 copies sold
  7. Megadeth - Dystopia (Tradecraft/uME) - 148,000 copies sold
  8. Five Finger Death Punch - Got Your Six (Prospect Park) - 146,500 copies sold
  9. Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage (Capitol) - 144,000 copies sold
  10. Deftones - Gore (Reprise) - 133,000 copies sold
  11. Volbeat - Seal the Deal & Lets Boogie (Republic) - 123,000 copies sold
  12. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Ghosts of Christmas Eve (Atlantic) - 113,000 copies sold
  13. Pierce the Veil - Misadventures (Fearless) - 105,000 copies sold
  14. Metallica - Kill 'Em All (Blackened Recordings) - 104,000 copies sold
  15. A Day to Remember - Bad Vibrations (ADTR) - 102,000 copies sold
  16. Korn - The Serenity of Suffering (Roadrunner) - 100,000 copies sold
It's not like they are totally still the number one hard rock band out there.

Jmille99

I liked their Grammy collaboration and look forward to an album. If they decide to tour, they must get Babymetal for their opening act. They'd be a perfect complement to the mashup lunacy with their female pop vocals and heavy metal sound. Plus they've opened for Lady Gaga and Metallica on separate occasions.

Based on what they released earlier this week, they are touring with Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat this year.

la_briola

[...]It just feels like they put no effort in to the album. [...]
via wikipedia: 'It is also their first studio album not to feature songwriting credits from lead guitarist Kirk Hammett since he joined the band in 1983, [...] In 2014, Hammett had lost his phone at Copenhagen airport, which contained almost 250 riff ideas. Since Hammett did not back up the data, it affected his creative input for the new album and he "had to start at zero again while [Hetfield and Ulrich] had material for songs".'

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Queen fan tho. FOH with that dad rock shit

You know that Metallica have always been huge Queen fans, right MrEdgelord?

Fisty

Grammy performance was cringeworthy, the cutting of James's mic was bad enough. At first I was disappointed in Metallica because I thought they stooped to the level of Motley Crue by bringing strippers out in stage during their performance, only to find out it was Lady Gaga. She was probably that girl in high school who wore a Metallica shirt and smoked cigarettes in the parking lot

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, Metallica is really struggling for relevancy. Oh, look, it's the top selling metal albums of 2016...

It's not like they are totally still the number one hard rock band out there.

This is like GTA games being on charts years after they've come out...

Except, you add another 20 years.

Holy fuck.

Remember when Metallica was cool?

It can't be worse that LuLu though. Then again I didn't think that could be worse than St. Anger.

Now that is plausible.

Thing is I would totally be cool with something that sounded more like Load and Reload at this point in their career (but with better lyrics-what happened to the writing after the Black Album?). The bluesy sound would likely be well received at this point in time and would really fit their current setup (James' band with Lars drumming slower).

I just wish we had two or three more albums from them in the 90s-between Puppets, Justice, and the Black Album they had some cool sounds floating around that could have come together for some great albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom