• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp — Overview Trailer Released

Draugoth

Gold Member

Ten-hut! It’s time for basic training on the Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp game! Guide your units in tactical, turn-based battles, find the CO Power that best fits your playstyle, and defend your HQ from opposing nations. Your mission begins April 21, only on Nintendo Switch. Pre-order on Nintendo eShop today to be prepped and ready to deploy on launch day.

MrA

Banned
I'm glad this game has physical release, when they first announced this game I thought it was going to be digital only.
I've had this paid off at gamestop for over a year now, (though I pay for everything in wii sports, nearly literally, I have a pile of like 50 to 100 Nintendo published wii games, mostly wii sports, disc only and Gamestop generally takes them for like 80-110% of ebay value so it makes more sense to trade them in for games I want and the pile ebbs and flows as I trade them in exhausting the supply and buying them in cheap lots and junk stores restoring it)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Excited for this even if I think the art style is a miss.
I think they did good job with art style.
fi53oN.gif
70707e2aee9e325bd5cd305cbc92f647adc57cd4.gif

mcjmetroid

This one pisses me off because the art style is uninspired and it really looks like they did the bare minimum with this one going by the feature trailers.

Sorry but to me 2 gba games does not equal full price game as much as I like advance wars.

Fire emblem engage is an excellent game a flawed game mind you but it has passion put into it. Thats worth full price..
Maybe one day advance wars will get the fire emblem treatment but it's unlikely seen as Nintendo now seems to think the game series is a controversial release whenever a war is happening.

This will be a solid release but I want then to take advance wars to the next level. Expand on the ideas set in days of ruin where the series was at it's best.

NahaNago

This one pisses me off because the art style is uninspired and it really looks like they did the bare minimum with this one going by the feature trailers.
Yep, it definitely looks like they did the bare minimum with the style.

I'm guessing if they ever visit this series again they will have some massive changes so that they don't have similar problems with releasing the game. I'd go with a future setting with fictional countries or a fantasy setting.

Woopah

I was worried it would just be the campaigns, so very happy that design mode, war room, multiplayer and Hachi's shop are there.

Sorry but to me 2 gba games does not equal full price game as much as I like advance wars.

Fire emblem engage is an excellent game a flawed game mind you but it has passion put into it. Thats worth full price..
Maybe one day advance wars will get the fire emblem treatment but it's unlikely seen as Nintendo now seems to think the game series is a controversial release whenever a war is happening.

This will be a solid release but I want then to take advance wars to the next level. Expand on the ideas set in days of ruin where the series was at it's best.
It's got quite a lot of content and modes though doesn't it? What else were you expecting them to include?

I think it looks great. Art style is exactly as it should be if you look at advance war art during the years. It doesn’t look like the gba games art because that actually was just very limited in graphics.

I can understand anyone not liking the art style but it’s the art style they use for decades now, but were just never able to implement in an actual video game yet.

mcjmetroid

I was worried it would just be the campaigns, so very happy that design mode, war room, multiplayer and Hachi's shop are there.

It's got quite a lot of content and modes though doesn't it? What else were you expecting them to include?
I guess the whole remaster concept doesn't sit well with me. In days of ruin they introduced bikes for instance and they were a game changer not to mention plenty of other improvement and an amazing darker story, my only critique of that game was due to its post apocalyptic settings the maps could look a little dull. I want them to evolve the series like fire emblem is doing.

This is better than nothing though and I guess you gotta start somewhere it's been a while but I wish they weren't changing full price when Metroid prime remaster was 40 and well look at that.

It feels this lacks any sort of imagination, it's like the links awakening remaster, it's still just remade in a quirky art style with the same modes etc which sounds great but it's a Gameboy game. Needs more love than that.

As for modes I would have added? A remixed campaign mode?
A create your own story mode you can share like what wargroove has? Challenge mode with special conditions etc?

I'd have been ok with them remastering the originals with the newer concepts from the newer games that improved the pace etc.

ranmafan

I’m so looking forward to this, and I’m glad it’s finallly getting its release. I like the new look myself though the classic pixel style is such an important part of the game that it would’ve been nice to add a visual option to play in either version. I hope it does well. Such a fantastic series.

Woopah

I guess the whole remaster concept doesn't sit well with me. In days of ruin they introduced bikes for instance and they were a game changer not to mention plenty of other improvement and an amazing darker story, my only critique of that game was due to its post apocalyptic settings the maps could look a little dull. I want them to evolve the series like fire emblem is doing.

This is better than nothing though and I guess you gotta start somewhere it's been a while but I wish they weren't changing full price when Metroid prime remaster was 40 and well look at that.

It feels this lacks any sort of imagination, it's like the links awakening remaster, it's still just remade in a quirky art style with the same modes etc which sounds great but it's a Gameboy game. Needs more love than that.

As for modes I would have added? A remixed campaign mode?
A create your own story mode you can share like what wargroove has? Challenge mode with special conditions etc?

I'd have been ok with them remastering the originals with the newer concepts from the newer games that improved the pace etc.
That's fair enough, I did also love Days of Ruin! As Prime is a remaster and not a remake I see what it is priced differently.

I'm hoping that after using this remake to bring back the brand, Wayforward get to work on a new Advance Wars (similar to Mercury Steam and 2D Metroid).

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'd buy this and Metroid Dread in a heartbeat if Nintendo would ever release an updated Switch. I'm sick of Nintendo being Nintendo.

Bragr

Banned
I can understand that for people who never played this, it's gonna look weird and cheap, but anyone who played Advance Wars back in the day knows that the strategy here is balanced to a sheen. In fact, I am a little surprised at how good this actually plays, it's like a secret sauce that you can't see. And it's absolutely perfect for the Switch in handheld mode.

Top Bottom