• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Mario + Rabbids, think Nintendo will work w/ Soliani and Ubi Milan/Paris again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Mario + Rabbids is already one of the highest rated Ubisoft games on Meta Critic (perhaps the highest rated?) in several years. It's been well-received critically and gamers seem excited to dive into it; those who already have it say it's great and worthy of the hype.

So it seems like the grand experiment of Mario + Rabbids (+ XCOM) has paid off. The title was a passion project for creative director Davide Soliani and his team at Ubisoft Milan, with support from Ubisoft Paris. Check out his Twitter (very active ever since E3), and you'll see that Soliani — who became famous when he cried tears of joy at the game's unveiling at E3 — is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve.

You can tell when a work of art is made dispassionately. Mario + Rabbids has no such problems, and I think it starts with Soliani at the top. This was a dream come true for him: Working with the brand that got him into videogames, with the blessing of the dev he idolizes (Miyamoto), in one of his favorite genres (tactics), and with the creative freedom of the Rabbids. It all started when he pitched it to Miyamoto, whose only condition was "no jump games," and Miyamoto has said in interviews that it was Soliani's passion that convinced him to sign off on the project.

The question now is: What's next? Well, first they have to make DLC for the game's season pass, which will even include story content. But after that, do you think there's potential for another collaboration between Soliani's team and Nintendo? What would you like to see them work on next?

Personally, I keep looking at this game's art direction and isometric perspective and thinking, "Man, an honest-to-goodness Super Mario RPG 2 by this team would be incredible." However, I don't know if they'd be interested in making a more traditional role-playing game.

At any rate, I hope Soliani gets to do more work with his favorite Nintendo franchises. Guy's adorable! Here's a pic of him wearing the shirt his team gave him as a gift after E3:

a064a69d3c46b6ce706c7bssy8.jpg

TheMoon

If Ubi can expend the resources and they have a good pitch for Nintendo, of course. But that goes for pretty much any collab.

if resources == pitch
then = HYPE

If it's successful expect Rabbids to have the greater chance of being the constant than Mario.

This is very much a Ubisoft project that they pitched to Nintendo. They also really want to push these Rabbids.

I could see Rabbids + Kirby or just Rabbids solo before a solely Mario-focused game.

Please.

Soliani seems like a genuinely passionate dude, and Mario + Rabbids has gotten rave reviews. I'd love to see them and Nintendo collaborate again. Maybe even a new franchise!

Neiteio

If it's successful expect Rabbids to have the greater chance of being the constant than Mario.

This is very much a Ubisoft project that they pitched to Nintendo. They also really want to push these Rabbids.

I could see Rabbids + Kirby or just Rabbids solo before a solely Mario-focused game.
Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to more Rabbids. If I didn't know they were a preexisting IP, I'd just think they were Mario characters with really eccentric humor. The way they're implemented here is a fair bit more sophisticated than I expected. I guess they've really hit their stride, so to speak.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm hoping this turns into a franchise and we get a competitive multiplayer component and an expanded roster (Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Rosalina, etc.) over the next few years.

I hope so. The devs seem very passionate about the IP and if they could improve the game, then why not?

I hope the game does well enough to give them a green light to work on the sequel or another genre within this weird crossover universe.

They will absolutely work together again. If the game sells, that is.

There's the answer. While the positive reviews have been great and the partnership appears to be going very well, it will only happen again if the game makes enough money.

Neiteio

There's definite sequel potential here. They could get really creative introducing new elements to the exploration phase, for example. Some sort of online component would also be welcome. I just hope they continue to surprise us.

You know this Soliani guy is special when Miyamoto himself approved of his vision.

Harpoon

Yeah, I think it's likely that if the game does well, then their next collaboration will also be a Rabbids crossover. I'd certainly like to see a more traditional Mario RPG by this team as well, though; the game's isometric view has also got me thinking about that. Mmm...

That said, Kirby + Rabbids would certainly be something I'd be interested in, too. Potentially the first Kirby RPG that isn't just a minigame!

Stygr

Banned
Maybe, if they sell enough copies, 1 million copies are more than enough i think, even with 500-750k they will be happy.

Mory Dunz

It's still a business, so you have to wait for sales first and foremost.
All the other stuff comes after.

I've no doubt it'll sell at least decently, but we don't know Nintendo's expectations.

Doorman

Maybe I'm being a stickler, but while I like the guy, I do think it's a little bit off-putting to be wearing a t-shirt featuring a picture and hashtag about yourself. I hope the publicity didn't get to him too much.

That aside, assuming that Kingdom Battle sells well (at this point I have little reason to think it won't), I think it's a pretty sure thing that the team will be working on another Switch game beyond this. I'm less inclined to think it would be another direct collaboration like Mario + Rabbids was, though. Possibly some kind of a new IP but something with a style that derives from this?

faridmon

I hope he does one of the Tom Clancy games.

The only thing that franchise is missing is some passion and clear direction. The Division 2 perhaps?

que all the 'no'' replies

Neiteio

Maybe I'm being a stickler, but while I like the guy, I do think it's a little bit off-putting to be wearing a t-shirt featuring a picture and hashtag about yourself. I hope the publicity didn't get to him too much.
The shirt was a gift from his team. They knew how sick with anxiety he was about how the game would be received, so they were happy for him that everything turned out well.

Mario + Rabbids is already one of the highest rated Ubisoft games on Meta Critic (perhaps the highest rated?) in several years. It's been well-received critically and gamers seem excited to dive into it; those who already have it say it's great and worthy of the hype.

So it seems like the grand experiment of Mario + Rabbids (+ XCOM) has paid off. The title was a passion project for creative director Davide Soliani and his team at Ubisoft Milan, with support from Ubisoft Paris. Check out his Twitter (very active ever since E3), and you'll see that Soliani — who became famous when he cried tears of joy at the game's unveiling at E3 — is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve.

You can tell when a work of art is made dispassionately. Mario + Rabbids has no such problems, and I think it starts with Soliani at the top. This was a dream come true for him: Working with the brand that got him into videogames, with the blessing of the dev he idolizes (Miyamoto), in one of his favorite genres (tactics), and with the creative freedom of the Rabbids. It all started when he pitched it to Miyamoto, whose only condition was "no jump games," and Miyamoto has said in interviews that it was Soliani's passion that convinced him to sign off on the project.

The question now is: What's next? Well, first they have to make DLC for the game's season pass, which will even include story content. But after that, do you think there's potential for another collaboration between Soliani's team and Nintendo? What would you like to see them work on next?

Personally, I keep looking at this game's art direction and isometric perspective and thinking, "Man, an honest-to-goodness Super Mario RPG 2 by this team would be incredible." However, I don't know if they'd be interested in making a more traditional role-playing game.

At any rate, I hope Soliani gets to do more work with his favorite Nintendo franchises. Guy's adorable!

a064a69d3c46b6ce706c7bssy8.jpg

God bless this fellow. I preordered immediately after seeing gameplay. You could just tell it'd be enjoyable. I'll support the dlc as well!

Neiteio

These are moments that can never be scripted.
Fun detail: The person making him stand up is Grant Kirkhope, the composer of Banjo-Kazooie, who also composed this game's soundtrack.

Soliani said in interviews that Kirkhope was so enthusiastic about the game that he'd send Soliani new samples at 3 in the morning, lol.

HeroR

Fun detail: The person making him stand up is Grant Kirkhope, the composer of Banjo-Kazooie, who also composed this game's soundtrack.

Didn't now that. Thanks for the detail.

But I do mean that we rarely seen this level of true passion and it shows in the game. I hope we do get more projects like this.

Neiteio

NO

I'd rather have Wario, Waluigi and WART before going down that path.
whynotboth.gif

Maybe the story could be that Rabbid Waluigi is hell-bent on conquering the Nintendo universe. First, the Mushroom Kingdom falls... Then Hyrule... Then the Lylat System...

Mario and friends must unite once more to stop Rabbid Waluigi, before he puts the WAH in BWAH!

KingBroly

Banned
whynotboth.gif

Maybe the story could be that Rabbid Waluigi is hell-bent on conquering the Nintendo universe. First, the Mushroom Kingdom falls... Then Hyrule... Then the Lylat System...

Mario and friends must unite once more to stop Rabbid Waluigi, before he puts the WAH in BWAH!

You're making the sell worse and worse. It should stick to Mario

Moose84

In addition to the post above, that photo was one he tweeted out upon receiving the t-shirt, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

The big thing will be how well it sells of course.

If it does well though, I can't imagine how Nintendo wouldn't want to, similar to Koei Tecmo getting their hands on Fire Emblem after the success of Hyrule Warriors. It allows Nintendo to leverage the strength of its IPs while simultaneously not needing to dedicate much in the way of resources for development themselves. Good partnerships with third parties like this could help them to massively fill out their library while they focus on really big projects.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The big thing will be how well it sells of course.

If it does well though, I can't imagine how Nintendo wouldn't want to, similar to Koei Tecmo getting their hands on Fire Emblem after the success of Hyrule Warriors. It allows Nintendo to leverage the strength of its IPs while simultaneously not needing to dedicate much in the way of resources for development themselves. Good partnerships with third parties like this could help them to massively fill out their library while they focus on really big projects.

It also gives 3rd parties a way to establish themselves on the platform, they always complain Nintendo's stuff outperforms their own stuff so letting them work with Nintendo on stuff seems like a good deal for both parties.

KLoWn

Hopefully it'll sell well and well get another one with characters from Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon etc.

You're overthinking this. It's just a fun gift he got.

It also gives 3rd parties a way to establish themselves on the platform, they always complain Nintendo's stuff outperforms their own stuff so letting them work with Nintendo on stuff seems like a good deal for both parties.

That's a point. They still get some slice of the pie, plus you do have the benefit - at least from this case - where the devs in question, possibly having grown up with Nintendo, may be fans who will give their all for the sheer chance to work with their favourite franchises.

Neiteio

In all seriousness, I think they'd do amazing work with the characters of Wario and Waluigi. The cartoon antics in Mario + Rabbids remind me of the CGI opening to Mario Golf: Toadstool Tournament, where Wario and Waluigi got into all sorts of trouble. This team has a great sense of humor, and could probably do amazing things with comic relief characters like Wario and Waluigi. Time to make a bank heist game!

Be it with Nintendo or anyone alse, I just hope the best for the team. It's still unbelievable that this game was made in my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom