• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After sixteen years, I had to put my first pet down today ... shit sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My younger sister had wanted a pet since the moment she could speak. It was what she asked for every year, but my parents told her "no," - my father was in the military and with moving as much as we did, it didn't make sense and I think they figured the desire would pass.

It didn't. And so a deal was made that she could have a cat when she turned 8. She literally counted the days for over a year. I'm four years older than my sister, and a few weeks before her birthday - I was 12 - my mom and I went to a local shelter just to "look." I couldn't care less for a pet; wasn't interested at all. But man, it took all of about 15 seconds before I found "Lucky," and in that moment, I new instantly that had to be our pet. Never in a billion years would I have guessed that my younger sibling, whom I argued with constantly, would actually AGREE a couple weeks later when we went to look. It was unanimous and we took him home. My mother encountered another couple that same day that wanted the same cat, and so eventually, a coin was tossed - my mom, by pure chance, won - and so we kept the name: Lucky.

I was in sixth grade when we got him. He was my pet during middle school and four years of high-school. Through shitty jobs. Through my hey-day in Halo 2. He waited for me and greeted me at the door as I returned on weekends in college - for four whole years. I got a career. I got married. I'm 28 years old, and we've gotten more pets since. My friends have. My sister moved out and got some other cats. My wife and I have a pet. But I've never had one die on me, yet, until today.

He had been getting skinnier week after week for the last six months or so. He's old, and I know he's on borrowed time, but took him to the vet anyway. His liver was failing and he was struggling to keep fluid, but he wasn't in pain and still had a good life, so we gave him his fluids and adjusted the diet as recommended.

But last weekend he suddenly went deaf. Then a few days ago, my mom told me he couldn't walk more than a step or two. Yesterday, supposedly, his back leg wasn't working. So today I met my mom and sis at my mother's house, and yeah... he was in rough shape. He'd deteriorated so much in literally less than a week and a half. If he was 100% a year ago - and 70% six months ago - and 50% two weeks ago - he was like 5% today. :(

I couldn't bare to see him like that. Wasn't fair. He still snuggled up on me. He still laid on my chest. He loved me just the same. But he didn't have anything left in him - I could tell. My mom and sis were crying messes of people, so I called around for an in-home vet, but there was nothing available on such short notice.

So I drove him out, alongside my family, to a local vet and laid him to rest. I know, 100%, it was the right call. It was time. It was - honestly - the perfect time, as morbid as that sounds. We all three were available, and held him while he rested. He knew he was in the company of those that cared most about him. It was peaceful. He was happy today, as weird as that sounds... I don't think he had any more happy days in front of him.

And so, yeah... I know it's stupid. It's just a damn cat, right? But man, that cat has been with me through countless moves. My best friends have spent time with him. He was there when my parents got divorced. When HS sucked. When I thought I was too poor to keep going to school. Like - so much growth - and it's not like I was every carrying on a conversation with my cat - but he felt like part of the family. And now there's a hole there. There's a piece of me missing, ya know?

I can't vent to my sis or mom, as I know they're just an absolute mess right now. I'll be okay. It's not the end of the world. Lucky had the best fucking life a cat could ever ask for. He was treated like a king. And no one dared ruin anything about his life at all. I'm not sad he's gone - I'm happy he's not miserable. And sixteen years is a lot of good time to have with a pet, I'm aware. But ... I dunno... it's weird experiencing such a common loss so late in life, if that makes sense? It's just a little emptier today...

34075218442_1c0058b5ba_h.jpg
(from a few days after our vet visit a couple months back)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't think he had any more happy days in front of him.

This is the key right here. This is exactly how and why you know you did the right thing when you did.

Don't feel bad about being upset about it. Last month I had to put down my 13 year old cat who had been with me across two cities and from my 20s to my 40s, due to erythroleukemia, and it is increasingly obvious I did not come out of that vet's office completely intact. I don't think anything has upset me as much in my adult life, just due to how much of a constant presence she was. Just take your time, take care of yourself, and try to move on when you can. Like you say, it's not just who they are, it's when they were there with you. Even if I got an identical cat tomorrow, it wouldn't be the cat who was with me through all those good and bad times for those 13 years.

Velcro Fly

Sorry man. I just had to do the same thing yesterday with my dog. She was 15 and struggled but was healthy. Had a stroke Friday night and was just completely out of it Saturday morning. It broke my heart.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It was time. It was - honestly - the perfect time, as morbid as that sounds. We all three were available, and held him while he rested. He knew he was in the company of those that cared most about him. It was peaceful. He was happy today, as weird as that sounds... I don't think he had any more happy days in front of him.

And so, yeah... I know it's stupid. It's just a damn cat, right?

Not morbid and not stupid, the right thing to do and nice of you to stay with him, so good on you.

Sleep well friend!

S-Wind

Your story has me legit tearing up.

My condolences for your loss of a beloved family member.

You made the right call. You gave him a dignified and peaceful departure, surrounded by those who loved him the most. If only we humans could be so kind to each other.

Jinaar

My poor 2 year old is in the emerg with a urinary tract blockage since Friday. Havent been great emotionally. I know that feeling though of utter love for your pet. Glad your guy had a great life with you.

wighti

Always rough. Me and my wife were complete wrecks when we had to put down our first cat
. Think we managed a whole lot better since we had just gotten more cats and had the cats waiting us when we got home.

The trip back home with the empty box where she had just been moments ago was one the roughest things in my life so far.

Goldboy

Soon I'm going to have to put down my dog I've had since sixth grade, it instantly ruins my mood every time I think about it. My condolences, but if it's any consolation you're not alone.

The most I've ever cried in my life was when our first dog had to be put down. I look back now with nothing but happy memories of an absolutely legendary companion. It's definitely worth the heartache. Time heals OP. Time heals.

Roo

I'm sorry but no. If you actually do you best to take care of them there's a point in life when pets become family.

You share the same house, the same space, air and family members so it's completely natural you feel empty now that he is gone.

I've been there as well so I'm really sorry for you loss. Seems like he had a great life and that's what matter the most. Stay strong, OP. Things will get easier soon :)

Never easy. My first kitty that died after about 11 years I found after Christmas one year after coming home from college. Had to bury her myself while sobbing and wishing I could bring her back. Life just sucks sometimes.

Shaneus

Oh damn, this is just heartbreaking :( We have two cats, both 13, but I've only lived with them for 3 (they're my wife's). I'm not sure what a usual cat's lifespan is, but I hope we get another three years out of them just because they're rad little beasties.

Thoughts are with you, OP.

Dude Guy

This thread is reminding me of when my cat died after 13 glorious years of life a year and a half ago. Reading the OP brought back so many painful memories... ;_;

My condolences OP :(

Jaraghan

Nah fuck that man. It's not just a cat anymore after awhile. He was family to you and your family. I've come to love my dog as part of my family. I don't just see him as a dog or pet.

I'm sorry for your loss OP :(

fbutron

Sorry to hear that OP, they are family...

I don't want to remember those sad days with my first dog =( 16 years also

fester

Banned
im still fucked up years later

The most I've ever cried in my life was when our first dog had to be put down. I look back now with nothing but happy memories of an absolutely legendary companion. It's definitely worth the heartache. Time heals OP. Time heals.

Going on 3 years since we lost the best cat I ever owned. We've since made a switch to dogs, and I like to think time has helped, but I still miss that cat incredibly.

It does help a hell of a lot though.

I second this. A couple years ago my childhood cat of 17 years passed away when his body failed him overnight. It broke my heart and I wondered how having another cat would go. A week later the local shelter got new kittens in and we snapped two up.

I bonded with them immediately and two years later I feel just as connected to them as I did my first cat, Pat (my avatar.) they really helped me focus on the present rather than the past. I still missed him still do, but having new pets give you new friends to focus on and keep you from feeling that void too much till you're ready to move on.

I'm so sorry. A pet becomes just like a member of the family, and it's a very tough experience.

Oct. 2015 had to put down my 16 year old dog. Last Nov, it was our family cat which was left to me since she was fond of me the most, and she was born in 1999. Never thought I'd grieve this hard but I share your pain.

Can't really know what's it like to be a cat owner but as a bunny father, I'm deeply sorry to hear that. I just hope you don't grieve for months like I did when I lost my first bunny. Thank you for sharing the memories. It's not stupid, at all.

I feel your pain, my cat went a similar way. In hindsight I wish I had taken him to the vet like you. Sounds like he had a nice farewell from your family.

You have my sympathy.

Your post really nails how it feels to lose a childhood pet. I remember putting my first dog down and thinking "this guy has been around for more than 75% of my LIFE."

Just really surreal when he was gone.

platakul

Banned
Bud, everything you're feeling is natural as hell. You're gonna remember that cat for the rest of your life, and even years from now you're gonna wish you had another day with him. Pour one out for him every time you feel like it.

highrider

Banned
I'm really sorry man, cat's are great companions.

My family cat Chuckles was so awesome. She lived to 24, and I still think about her 20 years later.

I'm sorry for your loss OP, I know that feeling.

Feel happy about all the good years, 16 years is amazing. Don't feel bad about feeling sad, pets are family too.

mr_nexus

Banned
I'm sorry for your loss. My cat of 12 years passed away a couple months ago and I still haven't totally gotten over it. The house felt so empty afterwards.

I am genuinely interested in knowing, when is the right time to move onto the next pet? I can't imagine it.

OP, you had a beautiful cat and friendship. To you and everyone else whose pet passed on, thanks for making the world a better place for our furry friends.

KaYotiX

Banned
It's never easy..... I've had 3 ferrets and a few dogs.... even knowing the ferrets don't live long lives and are know to have issues I cried each time we had to put them down. I'm 36 and cry like a baby when an animal of ours needs to be put down.

We have a Morkie (Maltise and Yorkie mix) now just turned 2. I love having pets but I dread those times when it's time to say goodbye

Condolences to you and your family OP. Sounds like Lucky was that: quite lucky to have found a great family like yours to give him the best life during these past 16 years.

And no, it's never stupid to be sad over the loss of a pet, as they're just as much a part of your family as your actual family members.

I feel you OP, I really really do.

My cat of 16 years old passed away over 2 years ago with a similar problem.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958399

A long time has passed, but reading this thread and I'm trying to hold back the tears at work right now.

Wow, can't believe I posted in your thread and now I'm about to post in this one.

OP, it makes perfect sense you're feeling what you're feeling. Lucky was an important part of your life for over 16 years. It would only be weird if you didn't feel anything.

It sucks. In the last few years I've been there when my family put down two of our dogs we had growing up. I think that feeling of loss is what's kept me from getting a pet myself. Anyway it sounds like your kitty couldn't have had a more apt name than Lucky.

I am genuinely interested in knowing, when is the right time to move onto the next pet? I can't imagine it.

OP, you had a beautiful cat and friendship. To you and everyone else whose pet passed on, thanks for making the world a better place for our furry friends.

I think it just depends really. When I first moved in with my gf, she had two older cats. I think at the time 12 and 10. The 10 year old was her Baby. Literally. She loved that cat so much and its name was Baby. Baby died of cancer and it wrecked my gf and the other cat's personality changed.

Part of that was that a lot happened in a month so he was out of sorts. He had gotten his teeth cleaned at the dentist, I had just moved in and for all he knew his kitty pal of 10 years was gone and his long-term human companion was sad/crying every day. About two weeks passed and the situation hadn't changed much and the cat was still physically moping.

I suggested to the gf that we go to the pet store and buy some new toys to get him interested in moving around. The store had some cats for adoption in cages and one caught my eye. He was only 10 months old and was the tallest kitty I've ever seen. When we walked up to the cages, he walked right up to us and looked like he wanted to play. It was the first time I saw my gf happy since her cat had died.

We had bought one of those toys that was basically just a string tied a stick. As we walked passed the cages on the way out of the store, the string part fell out of the bag we were carrying and the kitty reached his arm out of the cage and grabbed it and my gf began to laugh. The next day, we took the kitten home with us and the two cats are still with us today.

The older cat is pushing 16 now so I don't know how much time we have left with him. Especially as he seems to have really bad hairball issues that I've made a thread about. (We seriously thought he was going to die a few times because of how bad he's hacked up hairballs.) But I think if you have more than one cat, its easier to get a companion for one if one passes away.

Man, I'm right there with you OP. My family took in a stray cat that wandered in 16 years ago and we named her Bob (we thought she was a boy or we were just being funny, I honestly can't remember -- either way the name stuck). We didn't really know how old she was but when we took her in to get fixed it turns out she already had the operation done in the past, so we figured she was about 18 or 19 this year. Just got a call from my grandparents that they had to put her to sleep last week.

Anyways, I turn 28 this year so my story's really similar. She showed up when I was really young so she was ALWAYS there while I was growing up. Bob was seriously the best cat. Even though I graduated from high school 10 years ago and have been out of the house since, summer breaks and vacations back home were always a little sweeter cause of her. I really hate it for my grandfather because they were really, really close. He's in his early eighties now and man, they were a team. She'd never be far behind him.

The worst part for me is that I'm living in Japan until August, so I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to see her one last time. I'll never forget her, though.

Zimbardo

And so, yeah... I know it's stupid. It's just a damn cat, right? But man, that cat has been with me through countless moves. My best friends have spent time with him. He was there when my parents got divorced. When HS sucked. When I thought I was too poor to keep going to school. Like - so much growth - and it's not like I was every carrying on a conversation with my cat - but he felt like part of the family. And now there's a hole there. There's a piece of me missing, ya know?

it's not stupid, and he wasn't just a cat. he was family, he was a best friend, he was loved.

take solace in the knowledge that you provided a wonderful loving home and happy life for him.

i've been through this myself lately ...feb 22 of this year to be exact. my cat ...he was my best friend ...been through so much together, so i know where you're coming from. the hurt is brutal ...and i don't think i've cried so much in my life ...or at least since i can remember. so sorry for your loss.

AniHawk

we lost our childhood pet early... she was a german shepherd that wasn't even ten before she died of a couple heart attacks. we thought she had more time and she died at the vet overnight as they were watching her. that was when we were in high school. it's been almost 14 years since she died but i still have dreams about returning to my childhood home and she's in the backyard. they never really leave you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom