• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Mythology: Retold is coming to Xbox consoles and Windows PC later in 2024

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

What you need to know​

• Age of Mythology first released in 2002 as a spinoff of the Age of Empires franchise.
  • World's Edge and Xbox Game Studios have been working on Age of Mythology: Retold, an extensive remaster of the game with new models, animations, and much more.
  • Age of Mythology: Retold is scheduled to arrive in 2024, and in a first for the franchise, is coming to Xbox consoles and Windows PC at the same time.

Last edited:

Hudo

It's nice that they at least finally said that it's coming in 2024. But I wished for gameplay to be shown... I mean, I've been waiting since they first announced Retold back in 2022

CamHostage

Maybe this is a cross-topic interjection that doesn't need to be here, but...

I kind of feel that the PC MS games could have been part of their cross-platform initiative. I don't really think of "Xbox" even if I were to be playing on an Xbox, games like Age of Mythology or AoE or MS Flight or Zoo Tycoon feel like their own thing even if they sometimes carry the green XBGS logo.
(...Come to think of it though, MS barely makes any "PC MS games" anymore as it is, so maybe it doesn't matter.)

But either way, good to see Age of expanding its reach on a console, and the Xbox releases have (as far as I've seen) done well in translating and maintaining the gameplay with added platforms/control devices.

Last edited:

tusharngf

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

darrylgorn

As someone who completely sucks at RTS, hopefully they include controller support for the PC version. AOE is missing that, which is holding me back from jumping in.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Love AoE2 to death and I’m excited to try this.

Stormgate beta is abysmal, and company of heroes 3 is still awful, so maybe this can be one RTS that isn’t total shit to play.

LordOfChaos

As someone who completely sucks at RTS, hopefully they include controller support for the PC version. AOE is missing that, which is holding me back from jumping in.
The first step to not sucking at them is learn the keyboard shortcuts

I mean yes they made it work decently in AoE4 for Xbox but they pared some complexity down

Arsic

Why? I'm interested in Stormgate.
It’s not what RTS gods were pitching it as. The next “big rts” to stand shoulder to shoulder with SC1,2 and WC3, and age 2.

Everything feels generic, unimpressive, it looks dull, and is just void of soul.

For a group passionate about RTS, there’s no heart. It’s just a “meh” game. Go read some impressions online on other places. It’s doom and gloom all around.

Only person trying to dick ride it is Artosis but he’s on his own lol.

amigastar

It’s not what RTS gods were pitching it as. The next “big rts” to stand shoulder to shoulder with SC1,2 and WC3, and age 2.

Everything feels generic, unimpressive, it looks dull, and is just void of soul.

For a group passionate about RTS, there’s no heart. It’s just a “meh” game. Go read some impressions online on other places. It’s doom and gloom all around.

Only person trying to dick ride it is Artosis but he’s on his own lol.
OK, lol. I'm currently playing Legacy of the Void. So message received.

Hudo

Why? I'm interested in Stormgate.
Not him but I can tell why I was very disappointed in what I played of Stormgate. (That being said, I am not the biggest fan of the StarCraft-style of RTS design, so I might be biased):

It's essentially StarCraft 2 but worse. Far less polish, less coherent art design, feel clunky to play and I thought to myself multiple times during the demo "I should just play StarCraft instead, man...".
It's just very bland overall. And I don't see anything it does better or at least on par with StarCraft. I am also not a fan of their live-service design, they're trying to go for (but I can understand why they do it).
And that's my conclusion. If you want that style of RTS, you're far better off playing StarCraft 2 instead.

Last edited:

amigastar

Not him but I can tell why I was very disappointed in what I played of Stormgate. (That being said, I am not the biggest fan of the StarCraft-style of RTS design, so I might be biased):

It's essentially StarCraft 2 but worse. Far less polish, less coherent art design, feel clunky to play and I thought to myself multiple times during the demo "I should just play StarCraft instead, man...".
It's just very bland overall. And I don't see anything it does better or at least on par with StarCraft. I am also not a fan of their live-service design, they're trying to go for (but I can understand why they do it).
And that's my conclusion. If you want that style of RTS, you're far better off playing StarCraft 2 instead.
Mmh, i've played it for a short amount of time at the Demo Weekend on Steam but i thought also i should just play Starcraft 2 instead, but i'm not the biggest RTS fan there is. I mean i enjoy them.

Arsic

Mmh, i've played it for a short amount of time at the Demo Weekend on Steam but i thought also i should just play Starcraft 2 instead, but i'm not the biggest RTS fan there is. I mean i enjoy them.
I literally fire up AoE2 just to play bots in practice mode lol.

I stopped being hard core on RTS after wings of liberty for SC2. They are far too demanding to be good at.

It would have to be such a compelling game to make me invest that effort.

Casual rts enjoyers unite.

amigastar

I literally fire up AoE2 just to play bots in practice mode lol.

I stopped being hard core on RTS after wings of liberty for SC2. They are far too demanding to be good at.

It would have to be such a compelling game to make me invest that effort.

Casual rts enjoyers unite.
Yep, i've tried playing the Zerg in Starcraft 2 competitively but I've decided it's too stressful so i'm playing Legacy of the Void more for entertainment rather than working at my max competence all the time.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Chances of this coming to PS5? My favourite PC game ever and I still have the discs to use on my laptop.

Is retold a remaster of Age of mythology and it's titans expansion including the campaign? Or is it more an arena mode without the campaign?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loved this game. I pirated it, but I loved it.

Also StarCraft 2 is a masterpiece of a video game. It deserved better than it got.

Last edited:

Woopah

Chances of this coming to PS5? My favourite PC game ever and I still have the discs to use on my laptop.

Is retold a remaster of Age of mythology and it's titans expansion including the campaign? Or is it more an arena mode without the campaign?
Its a full remaster/remake of the full game, including the Titans expansion. I don't see it coming to PS5 anytime soon though.

Hudo

I do hope that this will eventually lead to Age of Mythology 2. But I hope that they don't choose Relic again as developer. Age 4 is solid but I expected a bit more. And I just don't think that current Relic are able to do more.

The problem is: I don't really know who could make an Age of Mythology 2. Are there any significant studios founded by ex-Ensemble members?

Probably close to zero. Either get a cheap laptop or a series S can be picked up cheap as chips second hand can use a key board and mouse on the console too.
AoM is one of my favourites too looking forward to playing it again. I also still have my original disk.
This remaster is the full game, not sure about the expansion.

Last edited:

hlm666

OK, lol. I'm currently playing Legacy of the Void. So message received.
I was keen on stormgate myself and played the demo they put out the other week. I unfortunately have to agree with the other post, it is very average. I played 1 game and went back to the homeworld 3 demo.

edit: tempest rising looks to be a better throw back rts if you hadn't seen that yet. The demo is still available if your interested.

Last edited:

Three

Did we already get a remake of this? Are we at that point were we are remaking remakes?
We got Age of Mythology: Extended Edition which was like the HD remaster with new features:

Now this is more like the remake of that I'd imagine

Kerotan

Probably close to zero. Either get a cheap laptop or a series S can be picked up cheap as chips second hand can use a key board and mouse on the console too.
AoM is one of my favourites too looking forward to playing it again. I also still have my original disk.
This remaster is the full game, not sure about the expansion.
I just thought with MS bringing their games this will probably come too.

Hudo

I just thought with MS bringing their games this will probably come too.
Maybe. But I also could imagine that Age is too niche to bother to port over. But I'd love for more people to be able to play any Age game! The franchise deserves to be more popular.

I wish EA would care about Command & Conquer as much as Microsoft care about Age ...

Last edited:
Maybe. But I also could imagine that Age is too niche to bother to port over. But I'd love for more people to be able to play any Age game! The franchise deserves to be more popular.

I wish EA would care about Command & Conquer as much as Microsoft care about Age ...
Yea I don't think xbox will bring all their games to PS Switch, seems to me alot of the rumors are driven by Sony fans trying to do damage to Xbox. No doubt they will bring more games over the years just will be a percentage.
Man I would love some new C&C games, what the hell are EA thinking not releasing new games more Generals would be really good.
Personally I would also love a remaster of the original Dawn of War and World in Conflict. If ever an rts game could work well on console World in Conflict would be it, I'm fact it was originally going to be released on xbox 360.

Top Bottom