• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem |OT| Ain'ts Row

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeh I know but it's still better than the console alternatives so I can live with it.

Ah ok just so you know :) Mine fluctuated a lot between 45fps and 60fps and on occassion I got really bad slowdown. Admittedly I'm still on an i5 2500k/gtx 970 so if you've got a more powerful setup you should hopefully be able to power through performance issues.

Just downloaded and started playing some Saints 4 and it's really crazy to see in how many ways this feels like a downgrade.
In SR4, environments are much more diverse, storytelling has a lot more intention, there are a ton of different activities to do, and your character is constantly growing and getting new stuff to play with. Weirdly, it can look visually better too, especially when vehicles and certain locations are considered.
I'm enjoying AOM, but can't ignore Volition's apparent lack of...direction? Almost makes me feel like this is a Mass Effect: Andromeda situation and that there's another Volition team secretly working on a different game.

There was a line of dialogue from Red Card that I heard earlier that I enjoyed:

(during the Oni recruitment mission)
Relic: This car is carrying narcotics. Why would LEGION be selling narcotics?

Red Card: If you ask me, they should be selling performance enhancing drugs. They're way better for society!

I laugh at the idea that Red Card, football hooligan that he is, encourages the use of PEDs in professional sports.

I'm surprised people say this gets better the more you play. For me, it's the opposite. I loved it in the beginning, but the painfully repetitive missions are bringing me back down to earth in a hurry.

gogosox82

Why is it 1000 times more annoying to traverse the city in this game than in SR4 and this game is superhero game? They put stuff up on skyscrapers and then they expect you to spend like 15 minutes figuring out how to get to it when they could've just given you a hero that can climb building in like a second just like you could in SR4.

Also, why do I have to go back to the ark to do literally anything other than kill enemies in this game? Why do we have an ark in the first place? It serves no purpose. In SR4, there was a ship because they were doing a joke about Mass Effect. In this game, I see no reason for this thing to exist. Most of this stuff could be in the UI itself or hell just put an ark in Seoul so I don't have to sit through two loading screens just because I want to switch out a character to do this particular mission. This game's constant need to want to take you out of the action and gameplay is really annoying.

I'm surprised people say this gets better the more you play. For me, it's the opposite. I loved it in the beginning, but the painfully repetitive missions are bringing me back down to earth in a hurry.

I've found that I enjoy it more if I play in 1-2 hour chunks instead of binging it. If I play for 3+ hours at a time, I tend to get bored.

You know what would be cool, daily lairs! Maybe with different sets of enemies inside or different themes for objectives.

By the way has the game gotten buggier for anyone else since the patch? I've had two hard crashes in the past two days, both of which happened out in the open world near big events (like the fracking machine or the energy ball,)

Bombless

Finally unlocked Sheherazade after finishing all the other side missions. She's super good! Definitely makes me wish for another melee agent or two.

Finally unlocked Sheherazade after finishing all the other side missions. She's super good! Definitely makes me wish for another melee agent or two.

I thought you were ahead of me for some reason. I just finished the main story yesterday. Side missions were all done before I started the third string of main missions.

Fitz

I'm really trying to enjoy this game, but out of all the issues, struggling with the camera is killing my enjoyment. It was bad enough in SR4 with the auto-adjustment whilst driving, but it's even worse here as it happens even on foot, and the effect is quite strong. I imagine it's a lot more comfortable to play with a controller, but I'd really rather not for a shooter. Just want the damn camera to stay where I aim it.

There was a mod for SR4 at least that fixed the camera whilst driving, doesn't seem like there's much modding going on for this atm though.

Menome

My two main bugbears so far:

1.) Traffic doesn't acknowledge you. Other games will have cars slow down and beep the horn etc. if they approach you from a distance.

Instead, if an outside fight veers onto a road then I'm normally killed because of a vehicle driving into me at full speed and taking all my shields off, or finishing me off if I'm on low-ish health.

2.) Turrets are too damn powerful and can take out an agent in seconds. God forbid taking one on with other enemies involved, or getting caught on scenery whilst trying to circle round one.

Finished the main story.

Overall, a solid B game.

It's fun but repetitive and the humor isn't hilarious but I'll admit I chuckled more than once.

The boss fights were the highlight for me, they were all unique and challenging in their own right.

With Madden out now and Yakuza: Kiwami on the way, I don't see myself going back to this game often but I'll pop it in when I want to kill an hour or two. Daisy, Kingpin, Braddock, and Oni were my favorite agents but none of them are really bad.

I'll probably revisit this when I get my Lazarus DLC.

Neverwas

Really enjoy the minute to minute gameplay, but the repetitive environments are frustrating. Maybe it's the natural devolution of a studio that copy and pasted the same city for their last 2 or 3 games... =/

Alebelly

Got this cheap on ebay for PS4 Pro, and was surprised to learn that some of things like HDR are missing from the game.

Any word on if that's being patched in?

It was something they publicized to many news outlets as being a feature

bryanee

Got this cheap on ebay for PS4 Pro, and was surprised to learn that some of things like HDR are missing from the game.

Any word on if that's being patched in?

It was something they publicized to many news outlets as being a feature

Just started playing and yeah, no HDR. PSBlog lying again?

hbkdx12

Maybe it's because im from the states but i really can't stand Red Card. Dude is so obnoxious. I don't like anything about him at all. I don't like his accent. I don't like his constant football/hooligan dialogue. I don't like his abilities. I don't like his gun. I don't even like his skins.

With such a varied roster it makes sense that at least one of these guys would get on your nerves and for me it's definitely him.

Nydius

I just finished everything short of the 15 connected contracts trophy and the shard collecting trophy (no need when I already have everyone leveled to 20+20...). Took 43 hours and some change. Played most of it on difficulty Level 12: Secretary of Carnage. I'd give the game a solid 8.

My biggest peeves (in order of gripes):
1. The performance issues. The constant frame drops and the frequent random bugs which would require restarting from checkpoints or restarting lairs entirely were complete pains in the ass.

2. The rate at which LEGION would retake areas ultimately made me give up on keeping the towers controlled. After a while, money wasn't an issue so I didn't need to keep the Relic money stations for any real reason and it was easier to just run up and kill some LEGION to get a high wanted level in order to gain a ton of XP fast (especially with Braddock).

3. The repetition of the lairs did start to wear on me but I was also partially immune to it because it reminded me SO MUCH of the repetitious mission dungeons and caves in City of Heroes.

4. Braddock's XP gain talent, range, and LEGION tech that increased damage against commanders made her practically god tier. This is only a minor quibble but she ended up being in my party for 35 of my 43 hours of playtime even though Daisy was my most played active character (14 hours total compared to Braddock's 7.5 hours).

I liked the backstory of all the characters, I loved the 80's style animation videos and the nods to 80's pop culture, and the constant banter was great (although groanworthy, at times). I loved hearing the constant references to Saints Row along with the tongue-in-cheek references to the Saints Row multiverse. Hearing the same voice actor as D.Va playing angry AISHA and cussing - while sounding identical to D.Va - had me cracking up. The passive NPCs even had a lot of hilarious bits of dialog that would reference in game events or break the fourth wall with internet meme references.
During the final battle sequence, some of the holographic NPCs were screaming "This is the darkest timeline!".

My favorite playable characters to use were Daisy, Braddock, Fortune, and Kingpin. My least favorite playable characters were Joule, Yeti, and Rama. With difficulty levels higher than 10, I found those three to be very much lacking, especially Rama. No matter how much I boosted Rama's bow with LEGION tech buffs, it was still too slow to cope with the zerg of enemies and their high levels of health. I'd just end up swapping to her to use her special for AOE damage then swap back to someone else.

Overall better than I expected and I'm hoping there's a sequel or at least some solid DLC.

jn9qkGI.jpg

george_us

Finally finished the campaign this morning. Has a lot of potential as a franchise but the bugginess, awful performance on consoles, and extremely repetitive missions wore me down after awhile.

Finally started playing it this weekend with my new graphics card.

I've only played up to Rama and Gat's intro missions but man, those were really damn fun. Rama especially is living up to my hype for her.

Just downloaded and started playing some Saints 4 and it's really crazy to see in how many ways this feels like a downgrade.
In SR4, environments are much more diverse, storytelling has a lot more intention, there are a ton of different activities to do, and your character is constantly growing and getting new stuff to play with. Weirdly, it can look visually better too, especially when vehicles and certain locations are considered.
I'm enjoying AOM, but can't ignore Volition's apparent lack of...direction? Almost makes me feel like this is a Mass Effect: Andromeda situation and that there's another Volition team secretly working on a different game.

Volition is only a team of 200 people iirc, so I highly doubt it.

I imagine this game's failures will make them find proper direction quick, though.

Basketball

Any Volition employees

reading this and I know there are a few
Agents of Mayhem was pretty fun

but yeah get back on the ship and sail back home
yaknowwhatimsaying

cough, cough stilwater , cough grounded, cough, Saints Row 2 quality

Any Volition employees

This is how I feel. I hated it when they went full superhero and goofy bullshit. Saints Row 2 was the peak of the series. More of that, please.

Bombless

Any Volition employees

but yeah get back on the ship and sail back home
yaknowwhatimsaying

This is how I feel. I hated it when they went full superhero and goofy bullshit. Saints Row 2 was the peak of the series. More of that, please.

I much prefer the "goofy bullshit". SR2 was great, no doubt about it, but 3 and 4 gave SR its own identity rather than being another GTA clone. AoM may be lacking but it has nothing to do with the setting.

I actually like the traveling more in AoM than the last SR where you were just flying around everywhere, hardly ever touching the ground at all. Here you have to look around for ways to go up and end up finding tons of weird/cool things.

I much prefer the "goofy bullshit". SR2 was great, no doubt about it, but 3 and 4 gave SR its own identity rather than being another GTA clone. AoM may be lacking but it has nothing to do with the setting.

I actually like the traveling more in AoM than the last SR where you were just flying around everywhere, hardly ever touching the ground at all. Here you have to look around for ways to go up and end up finding tons of weird/cool things.

Yes, I like the way Agents of Mayhem handles traversal and hated how SR4 did it.

Overall, AOM is more grounded which I like.

Yes, I like the way Agents of Mayhem handles traversal and hated how SR4 did it.

Overall, AOM is more grounded which I like.
The traversal stuff in AoM is far, far better than SR4

SR4 is better in that it had a better story and more fleshed out characters, but the traversal and combat in AoM is the best that Volition has done imo

The traversal stuff in AoM is far, far better than SR4

SR4 is better in that it had a better story and more fleshed out characters, but the traversal and combat in AoM is the best that Volition has done imo

Sorry, guys. I just can't agree with this. In my experience, most of the characters feel pretty samey with their differences coming from whatever random enemy type they decided to make them strong against.

Jumping around the city in AoM is not nearly as fun or fluid as it is in Saints 4. And the differences in *traversal* between all the characters are even smaller than the differences in combat. They run, jump, some can dash in the air, some have a third jump. What am I missing?

gogosox82

Well its not like SR2 was this really grounded story. It was pretty damn goofy itself with some funny ass activities and characters. I think it would work fine in a new saints row game. Just make new characters and stop bringing the same old characters back. Like we really don't need another game with Pierce and Gat in it.

Personally, I think the navigating is the most annoying thing about the game. You can say what you want about SR4, but at least getting around the city wasn't annoying and you could actually get to this stuff in the world.

I agree. I spent close to 100 hours in SR2. Fucking around solo and co-op was great.

I found 3 had better gun play and it was fun (so was #4 to an extent), but they were lacking compared to #2.

Got AoM today and I am liking it. Hollywood reminds me of Zap Brannigan :lol:

I really do hope Volition do go back to Saint's Row though.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am enjoying this game so far. I like the switching mechanic. It makes no sense at all but is fun. Yes parts of it are repetitive as are parts in most games. The boss fights and agent missions are great. The other shit is typical open world crap that I have been skipping for years. It's a solid B game and I hope enough people buy it to warrant an improved sequel.

Auraela

Banned
does morningstar remind anyone else of snoke from force awakens, his introduction and that scene reminds me straight up of force awakens

dreamfall

Excited about the patch and dropping back in - put a solid ten hours in and I was really enjoying myself. Daisy is the best - I just wish we had more outfits, and some cool interiors. The moment to moment switching and gunplay has felt like a ton of fun, but like a lot of open world titles, the mission structure is completely uninspired. I like the rapport between the agents, and the boss personalities are great. Going to see it to the end!

Ploid 3.0

I, on the other hand, loved their super hero SR4 game. So freeing, especially after experiencing Just Cause 2, wondering if an open world game would impress me again, and coming from a super boring GTA4 with horrible codes compared to GTA Sand Andreas. It was so fun, maybe a mix of Agent's traversal, with some ability to increase your ability to climb higher, run faster, and maybe glide depending on the characters. And add multiplayer. Third Person Shooter RPG looter.

I wonder if someone will add a character creator or custom character mod if possible. If this game gets a big mod community that are able to do exciting things, I'll will buy it before a sale. The game looks good graphically.

Update is up on every platform, patch notes
GENERAL MISSION FIXES

• Fixed enemy and vehicle spawning issues in missions (failed to spawn, spawning in unreachable areas, inside props, etc)
• Fixed issue with dungeon doors not opening when mission objective updates
• Fixed infinite load that could occur if player warps to ARK using Hub Menu while driving at high speeds during an Agent Personal mission
• Fixed crash that could occur after restarting from checkpoint when all agents were downed in combat
• Fixed soft crash that could lock out player controls when restarting from checkpoint immediately before a video playback
• Fixed rare inability to load more than one mission in mission replay
• Fixed possible crash when teleporting to the ARK during a mission replay post-game

SPECIFIC MISSION FIXES

• Spinoff 2 – Fixed issue where player could fail for “leaving area” despite countdown being cleared
• ARK Tutorial – Fixed issue where players could incorrectly receive resources for Gutterball Tech multiple times
• ARK Tutorial – Fixed soft crash that could occur if player spent too much money or materials on Gremlin Tech when given materials to build “Crowd Pleaser” LEGION Tech
• ARK Tutorial – Fixed soft crash that could occur if player exits game after building Gutterball Gremlin Tech then loads that save game
• Heaven Sent 1 – Fixed issue where player could spawn multiple LEGION vehicles by leaving planetarium then returning
• Heaven Sent 2 – Fixed crash that could occur while transitioning to dungeon
• Heaven Sent 2 – Fixed infinite load that could occur if replaying the mission back to back in post-game
• Heaven Sent 2 – Fixed issue with mission objectives not updating correctly
• Heaven Sent 3 – Fixed soft crash that could occur when player attempts to start open world dungeon during third checkpoint of space laser portion of mission
• Heaven Sent 3 – Fixed issue where Hammersmith could barely hit player if they stood still
• Heaven Sent 3 – Fixed issue where Plasma Turrets could fire through force fields
• Star Power 1 – Fixed issue preventing player from progressing if they leave the room without hacking
• Star Power 1 – Fixed loss of controller functionality if intro cinematic skipped at certain time
• Star Power 3 – Fixed crash if player moves near Gaunt immediately following cinematic that introduces boss fight
• Star Power 3 – Fixed soft crash that could occur when returning to the ARK after running out of time during the race
• Red Queen 1 – Fixed issue where enemy vehicle could be prematurely destroyed
• Red Queen 3 – Fixed issue where AISHA could stop taking damage
• Madhouse 2 – fixed issue with overlapping Friday dialogue
• Madhouse 3 – Fixed issue with missing Boombot enemy spawns
• Madhouse 3 – Fixed rendering soft crash that could occur if player dies right as Gremlin tank health zeroes out
• Damocles 3 – Fixed crash when driving near TTX during mission
• Damocles 4 – Fixed issue where player could fail the final objective while credits were playing
• Rama Unlock – Fixed Agent vehicle not spawning during second hack objective
• Rama Unlock – Fixed progression blocker after third hacking objective
• Rama Unlock – Fixed an issue where player is unable to re-enter Gremlin workshop after completion of mission
• Rama Personal – Fixed rare crash that could occur after completing mission
• Special Investigation: Daisy – Fixed issue where player can take damage over time when coming in contact with Fracking Drill beam during initial hack
• Special Investigation: Daisy – Fixed issue where restarting from checkpoint incorrectly teleported player to start of mission
• Special Investigation: Daisy – Fixed Fracking Drill segment issues with crashing and streaming delay when driving to objective
• Daisy Unlock – Fixed crash that could occur by being outside mission area when transition occurs
• Daisy Unlock – Fixed rare crash when restarting mission from checkpoint
• Daisy Unlock – Fixed soft crash caused by running to flashback point before flashback starts
• Daisy Unlock - Fixed infinite fade if player leaves mission area as flashback is about to end
• Daisy Unlock – Fixed camera sticking under the world after third objective if player enters the building from opposite side of the street
• Daisy Personal – Fixed issue where LEGION vehicle AI could repeatedly drive into wall
• Daisy Personal – Fixed soft crash if a ped vehicle destroys the LEGION vehicle before player damages it
• Kingpin Unlock – Fixed soft crash that could occur during rooftop encounter
• Kingpin Unlock – Fixed issue where Kingpin could spawn inside geometry when restarting from checkpoint
• Kingpin Personal – Fixed issue with mission markers not updating correctly
• Kingpin Personal – Fixed rare crashing issues during race
• Special Investigation: Braddock – Fixed mission failure when player approached LEGION vehicle target
• Braddock Unlock – Fixed issue where hack could be missing
• Red Card Unlock – Fixed soft crash caused by missing objective indicator
• Red Card Unlock – Fixed soft crash that could occur if player uses Ball Pit Gremlin Tech on Rudesheim players
• Redcard Unlock – Fixed issue where game remained active underneath Hooligan tutorial
• Scheherazade Unlock – Fixed issue where progression could be blocked after engaging initial enemies, leaving area, then returning
• Scheherazade Unlock – Fixed missing boss that could occur if player stops to unlock a Relic’s Trading Company during mission
• Special Investigation: Oni – Fixed rare crash issues during mission
• Carnage A Trois Team mission – Fixed soft crash that could occur if player is trapped in elevator shaft
• Firing Squad Team mission – Fixed missing indicators if player completes Damocles 4 before starting the team mission

MISC GAMEPLAY AND OTHER FIXES

• Fixed missing and broken navmesh issues in the open world
• Fixed various gameplay bugs, such as notoriety not wiping correctly, enemies misusing weapons, and other small tweaks
• Fixed Wreck Room soft crash that could occur if player loses their final agent while in the air
• Fixed crash when pausing in the first few frames of an agent swap animation
• Fixed hacking soft crash that could occur if player hacked a computer that was clipping into another piece of geometry
• Fixed LEGION Dungeon soft crash that could occur if player falls out of world
• Fixed traversal soft crash that could occur if player warped back to ARK while using an ascender
• Fixed crash that could occur while destroying props in certain city districts
• Fixed infinite load that could occur after completing a LEGION Outpost
• Fixed soft crash that could occur if player swapped agents during agent death but before death animation could play
• Fixed crash when entering Seoul from a checkpoint restart and immediately getting hit with a beam weapon
• Fixed random soft crash that could occur when player character vanishes in LEGION dungeon
• Fixed an issue that prevented the final enemy from spawning in the Relic’s Trading Post gameplay
• Fixed Gravity Dominator soft crash that could occur if Dominator placed player inside a building
• Fixed issue with Doomsday weapons spawning consecutively into city
• Fixed crash that could occur when approaching Gravity Dominator as Oni in the Mockingbird vehicle
• Fixed crash when attacking an Outpost and a Gravity Dominator in same district at the same time
• Fixed crash when driving a ped vehicle under a Gravity Dominator
• Fixed issue with Gravity Dominators failing to complete if player destroyed the core before a boss cameo
• Fixed rare infinite load on Mayhem Knows loading screen
• Fixed rare soft crash that could occur when pausing or opening Hub Menu after swapping agents many times while Auto Target Gremlin Tech is active
• Fixed Scheherazade soft crash that could occur when her teleport would place player inside a building
• Fixed game freezing when controller is disconnected during a LEGION dungeon exit transition
• Fixed random crash that can occur when moving around Seoul after Star Power 3
• Fixed rare crash during max notoriety
• Fixed rare crash that could occur when loading into Seoul after Spinoff 1

AGENT GADGETS AND LEGION TECH FIXES

• Fixed “Captain on Deck” not increasing cash drop rate
• Fixed “Action Force” not awarding health on machine gun kills
• Fixed “Last Ditch Launcher” not reducing special cooldown if used when shields were already below 50%
• Fixed issue with Braddock’s Elite Tech not correctly stacking
• Fixed “Sitting Ducks” incorrectly increasing critical hit damage in addition to intended effect

AUDIO FIXES

• Fixed various audio balancing issues, including volume levels, repetitiveness, and stuck audio
• XBox One: Fixed audio dropping out if player exits to Home Menu while transitioning into a video

GRAPHIC FIXES

• HDR support for the PlayStation 4 version
• Better autodetection for PCs based on resolution
• Resolution fixes for PC when switching monitors
• Fixed placeholder structure models
• Fixed camera issues during various cinematics
• Fixed missing VFX and camera shake during certain gameplay
• Fixed collision issues, including holes in the world
• Fixed missing “xray” material on scannable objects throughout the city
• Fixed Agent skins previewing in low resolution
• Fixed several instances of lighting bugs
• Fixed jitter with Yeti's snowball

UI FIXES

• Fixed incorrect elements displaying on weapons HUD
• Fixed various issues with Agent and Vehicle skin previews and list sorting
• Fixed HUD not updating with new objectives during various missions
• Fixed disappearing icons from World Map
• Removed incorrect persistent “New” flag from various UI elements
• Fixed Global Conflict bugs, including UI incorrectly leaving elements locked when they are actually accessible
• Fixed agent videos not playing in ARK after Gat DLC package installed
• Corrected various text and localization
• Tweaks to Doomsday weapon OIs to increase visibility
• Added HUD message when Doomsday weapon spawns in Seoul
• Added new Load Screen hint

PROGRESSION AND BALANCE CHANGES AND FIXES

• Added shards on map when relevant Agency upgrade is purchased
• Lowered difficulty of the foot race during Fortune Personal mission
• Guaranteed Contract found in every Large Chest
• Added chests to temple area
• Changed rewards for mission replay
• Fixed inaccessible chests
• Fixed incorrect rewards granted after completing Outpost
• Fixed player unlock of Yeti’s “Russian Frost” weapon skin
• Balance change in Hollywood personal mission

Swass

• Added shards on map when relevant Agency upgrade is purchased

This is a big one for those going for the platinum.. I actually got it without this fix and it took way too many hours to hunt them down even with using a guide. glad to see it fixed.

Top Bottom