• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

Toons

I'll debate this. That scene is a classic because it is the culmination of Han's TOTALLY misbegotten Death Star "heist".

The heist isn't intended to be misbegotten at all. Han is portrayed as being one of the only guys who can get them in and out. This isnr a cutaway, irs a major plot of the film. This is in fact the primary objective for the first half of the movie.

This roguish character, played by an INCREDIBLY charismatic actor, has been bouncing back and forth from success and failure the entire time, his smug cocky attitude is completely crumbling. Then, in the middle of this disaster of a rescue, he gets the drop on some stormtroopers and in a moment of excess, chases them down a hallway.

He doesn't get the drop on them . He and the entire group are actually ambushed and outnumbered, by armed elite stormtroopers. He shoots one and lands, and they all inexplicably run away, from the dudes they were actively looking for.

He then, nonsensically decides to chase them(keep in mind they are trying to get out during this scene)

It is clearly, deliberately nonsensical, reminiscent of gags form comedy skits. This was intentional dumb writing for a laugh. There is no other way to interpret this scene.

Then he runs smack into an ENTIRE room of troopers and has to tuck tail and run away. This illustrates the highs and lows of the character in 1 quick scene and he pulls it off EFFORTLESSLY. It is a bit of slapstick, yes, but it FEELS organic to the world and his response FEELS genuine. A modern girlboss version of this would have her yell some catchphrase as she knocks over a conveniently located rack of thermal detonators, blowing the entire room because SHE CAN NOT LOOK WEAK......EVER.

And I saw this scene on TV with pan n scan where they only show like 2 troopers in the room. It was YEARS until a widescreen version or the special editions came out that showed the room was full.
Dude, you are being silly. Downplaying how ABSOLUTELY ridiculous this scene is, whilst making up a scenario that has never happened in any modern star wars thing and criticizing that instead.

In several REAL examples from recent Disney star wars heists have been taken much more seriously and stormtroopers actively treated as a threat.

This doesn't even illustrate "highs and lows" of anything. It's han being a cartoon for no reason other than to draw a laugh. There is no plot reason. There is no character reason. He never even normally acts like this. This is the movie where he's reluctant to even be doing any of this and just wnats to get it over with and get paid.

Like... just be real for a sec. This scene is goofy as hell. Star wars has many scenes like this. These scene is bad writing, for rhe sake of a laughter. It is not serious or gritty, it is childish humor. This is what star wars was built on.

You can NOT tell me this is forgivable, and "authentic" but a little girl hiding in a trench coat is a bridge to far in this same franchise.

Toons

Im with you, everyone has the right to like whatever they like. For me though in this example, this is the kinda of suspension of disbelief I can handle. Is this goofy and would Han actually get smoked here? Yeah of course. But it's not jump the shark levels of ridiculous, imo.

It's like ok, so we know Stormtroopers are incompetent. Hans going to startle them here and scare the shit out of them and get them running. Then they realize hes alone and so he starts running. Goofy sure, but not so insanely dumb its distracting. And the way its executed its actually pretty funny. People can get startled and freaked out for a second.
You cannot be serious my dude.

You JUST complained about villain with full intent to kill hunting down ahsoka and Sabine, and landing their shots but falling to kill them as incompetence, but this is explainable?

Why are you guys approaching this this way? We can watch the video. The scene makes ZERO sense.

there is no if ands or buts about it. Its nonsense. And its intentional nonsense. Snd that's fine. My issue is when people pretend silly scenes are a modern addition as a result of this buyout. That just isn't true.

Theres a scene in Band of Brothers where this squad of American soldiers are trying to deliver a message to the other parts of the village and they have German soldiers in between them. They dont have any ammo, but the guy is like "They dont know that"... and he charges this German position while theyre eating or something screaming like a maniac and holding his gun up. All the Germans shit their pants and freak out and drop their guns and run or try to surrender... and the American dude just runs right past them untouched and delivers the message. I mean thats a stone cold serious WW2 series, but the scene still works.

And I dont even mean to say everything needs to be based on hyper realism... the context around the Star Wars example is way sillier than band of brothers, for sure. Im just saying that scene in Star Wars, while goofy, doesn't make me roll my eyes for being overly dumb. I still feel like Han can be shot and killed, he just got the drop on them and spooked them and a funny scene played out.

But now imagine that as they start to escape in the millenium falcon after that, all the Death Star weapons target them and unleash a massive laser barrage. Luke Skywalker goes out into space... stands on the top of the ship as they fly away, and deflects an onslaught of laser bolts as big as he is away with his lightsaber. Its just... odd lol. Doesnt fit the feeling of how the rest of the movie treats itself at all.

You guys keep talking about feelings whilst defending a scene that ALSO doesn't fit in with how the rest of rhe movie treats itself.
Maybe we just interpret it different and thats cool... but to me that is a far cry different than Han scaring stormtroopers. Thats next level ridiculousness and doesn't really play along with the rules they already established for their universe. And I feel like a lot of the Disney stuff starts to lean way more that way than the spirit of the originals.

Luke deflecting giant laser bolts is well within the established abilities of a jedi, in various forms of media over various eras and decades.

Stormtroopers are never shown to be prone to being scared by a long gunman who they ALREADY ambushed.

Even just how they build out their basic logic trees of making a coherent story, even disregarding the actual moment to moment dialogue for a second.

OG: "We need to blow up the Death Star" -> "It seems impenetrable, we need spies" -> "Spies found secret plans" -> "We gotta steal those plans" -> "A strike team stole the plans" -> "We have a politician on our side, she'll deliver the plans under disguise" -> "We got the plans, we identified a weakness, lets attack"
Okay, fine. Makes sense. Seems logical enough for a military operation, Ill play along.

New Series: "We need to blow Death Star 2" -> "Finn - I WORKED THERE AS A JANITOR. THEY TELL JANITORS HOW TO BLOW IT UP."
I mean holy shit, we even trying anymore?

That isnt even what happens in the film. They never told Finn how to "blow it up". He had access to schematics that included villatile points in its design, and he knew about those because of his position. His role actually makes a lot more sense than "a bunch if random off screen maguffins managed to get us exactly what we need to defeat the enemy" if we're being honest. Rogue one was practically made to explain this plot hole and it turns out the wrote it so the weak point was intentionally put there... thats the only way it makes sense.

Of course then, the bad guys rebuild the ship with the exact same weak spot.

You can not in good faith tell me that one makes sense and the other doesn't. Either both of them do or neither of them do.

You keep talking about auras and feelings. Thats nostalgia. You thought nothing of rhe dumb stuff because you were a kid the first time. Now you are an adult and your sense if disbelief has shifted to a preference for more "realism". But that is warping your perspective. Star wars actually hasn't changed all that much. Its still got epic, cool stuff, heavy dark stuff, mixed in with the goofiest crao you've ever seen. Thats the brand.

And if we are beifn honest the Disney stuff has gone farther than any of the original stuff in terms of darkness and maturity. You can talk about Leia dodging around grown ass men, but then if you're arguing in good faith you can also talk about Vader snapping an actual child's neck on screen in that same show. The first time we have EVER in 40 years see Vader actually kill a child.

We can talk about andor which has the most dour gritty tone of any star wars project, virtually no quips through its entire run time.

We can even talk about some of the newer movies which features slavery and war profiteering, even if it doesn't fully deliver on those. The solo movie has homeless children beifn led by a corrupt orphanage that forces them into manual labor.

Star wars can do it all.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn, hope your doctor, firefighter, policeman, civil engineer, or aircraft pilot doesnt share a "hmmm, let's just be mediocre today" attitude :p

At the end of the day I don't need a fancy plot, just a simple story with fun action can be enough if it's entertaining enough.

Plus I watched all of Clone Wars and Rebels - and yes, there were some truly amazing episodes over the 150+ episodes - but that's comparing 150 episodes to this show's 2 or 3. On average, your random episode from those shows is going to be a lot worse than either of the two episodes to this IMO. The shows were long and didn't always hit it home, which is what I'm saying, why everyone expects every episode to be a 9 or 10 is a little overkill.

Why not just put it on and try to be entertained without nitpicking the number of buttons the main character has on their shirt or the number of seconds it takes a character to say something. Just look around the background or something I dunno. I guess I'm not that picky for this show.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The heist isn't intended to be misbegotten at all. Han is portrayed as being one of the only guys who can get them in and out. This isnr a cutaway, irs a major plot of the film. This is in fact the primary objective for the first half of the movie.
Han was hired to deliver them to Alderaan. They get CAPTURED by the Death Star. The ENTIRE PLAN to deactivate the tractor beam is improvised (by former General kenobi, no less) and the plan to rescue Leia is INVENTED ON THE SPOT by Luke! Han is trying to wrest control of a shit show situation from the get go. He wasn't hired to break into the Death Star for Christ's sake. Him chasing the troopers is a manifestation of his ego and how it gets him in over his head.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
His role actually makes a lot more sense than "a bunch if random off screen maguffins managed to get us exactly

The Force Awakens Plot makes more sense? Finns role makes more sense?? As a janitor???? Yeah Im sure he had front row seats to all the classified hotness LOL. Snoke, Kylo Ren, Hux and Janitor Finn would sit down and review the security weakness of Starkiller base on the reg.

Hey China, if you ever need our launch codes just snatch they guy taking out the trash lmao. He's got the Presidents ear, fuck eavesdropping on the CIA.

You keep talking about auras and feelings. Thats nostalgia. You thought nothing of rhe dumb stuff because you were a kid the first time. Now you are an adult and your sense if disbelief has shifted to a preference for more "realism". But that is warping your perspective. Star wars actually hasn't changed all that much. Its still got epic, cool stuff, heavy dark stuff, mixed in with the goofiest crao you've ever seen. Thats the brand.

Im talking about the way the movie carries itself. Not tingly feelings I get inside. If its pure nostalgia then why did I enjoy Rogue One a lot? Why did I enjoy Andor a lot? If all Star Wars has always been the same, and its me that changed... I should hate those too no?? But I loved those so why? It's because they didn't have mind-numblingly idiotic writing and characters and situations.... just like the original trilogy didnt.

Dude.... no. No to all of it you're not getting me or doubling down just because.

If you can watch Empire and then Watch Kenobi or Ashoka and go "This is the same stuff..." like we're so far off base it just aint happening.

Last edited:
How were they not competent exactly?
Ahsoka's ship was dead and not moving. If they were competent, the villains simply would've parked their starfighters at a safe distance in space and blown Ahsoka's ship into dust - especially if they see her exit the ship like an idiot. Instead, they proceed to do unnecessary strafing runs while aiming at Ahsoka's lightsabers instead of her ship, while also flying close enough to get swatted by her.

It's shit writing and exhibits yet again the complete absence of creativity plaguing Star Wars. God forbid Star Wars fans demand a standard higher than this. Which is hilarious because the defenders of this garbage are just contributing to its continued decline into irrelevancy. Iger has already committed to cutting back on Star Wars content and with episodes like this it's easy to see why.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Theory that Marrok is Kanan that makes sense:
IN ARTURIC MYTHOLOGY MARROK WAS THE NAME OF A KNIGHT TRANSFORMED INTO WOLF BY A WITCH CALLED.. MORGAN
TEORIAS LOCAS DE LA SERIE AHSOKA : ¿PODRIA SER MARROK, KANAN JARRUS RESUCITADO POR LA NIGROMANCIA DE LA HERMANA DE LA NOCHE MORGAN ELSBETH?
Kanan was a Jedi knight who turned into a wolf. Morgan ( is a sister of the night. The sisters of the night are known to use nigromance. Marrok's silhouette is very similar to Kanan's when he wears his eye mask. The Marrok laser saber transmitter cover is also very similar to Kanan's laser saber (I've looked at all the other Inquisition lasers and none of them have emission covers that look like this). I think Filoni wants a Rebels reunion in the Ahsoka series and the only way to do it altogether is to somehow resurrect Kanan. I think this is the main reason we suddenly found out Morgan Elsbeth is a nocturnal sister. Dave just needed a way to bring Kanan back.

Can anyone fill me in on where Princess Leia or Luke are at this point? If the threat of Thrawn is that great or just the fact there are actual Sith running around killing people wouldn’t that justify the Skywalker siblings getting involved in this situation? I would think Luke wouldn’t take this new discovery lightly. Unless there is something I’m missing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Minsc

Gold Member
Ahsoka's ship was dead and not moving. If they were competent, the villains simply would've parked their starfighters at a safe distance in space and blown Ahsoka's ship into dust - especially if they see her exit the ship like an idiot. Instead, they proceed to do unnecessary strafing runs while aiming at Ahsoka's lightsabers instead of her ship, while also flying close enough to get swatted by her.

It's shit writing and exhibits yet again the complete absence of creativity plaguing Star Wars. God forbid Star Wars fans demand a standard higher than this. Which is hilarious because the defenders of this garbage are just contributing to its continued decline into irrelevancy. Iger has already committed to cutting back on Star Wars content and with episodes like this it's easy to see why.

Or maybe, it's just simple and doesn't need to be analyzed, the answer is simply as you say, the villains are stupid and not competent. I mean we have all seen how great the empire's average grunts can fire a blaster rifle, why would we expect the person to be so much smarter/better behind the starship? Maybe it's a higher ranked character or something but still, I'd simply argue the exact reason Ahsoka would get out of the ship and flash her sabers around is to draw fire to herself and lure them in, so they don't just blow up the ship. Again, back to my point about everyone wanting everything to be perfect and looking too deep creating their own issues which those who don't have no trouble enjoying.

Basically, I don't think they should try to please everyone. Trying to make everyone happy will just make no one happy. Writing some dumb, mature, complex story is what got us FFXVI, one of the worst games I've ever played.

Toons

Im with you, everyone has the right to like whatever they like. For me though in this example, this is the kinda of suspension of disbelief I can handle. Is this goofy and would Han actually get smoked here? Yeah of course. But it's not jump the shark levels of ridiculous, imo.

It's like ok, so we know Stormtroopers are incompetent. Hans going to startle them here and scare the shit out of them and get them running. Then they realize hes alone and so he starts running. Goofy sure, but not so insanely dumb its distracting. And the way its executed its actually pretty funny. People can get startled and freaked out for a second.

You JUST complained about villain with full intent to kill hunting down ahsoka and Sabine, and landing their shots but falling to kill them as incompetence, but this is explainable?

Why are you guys not being honest about this? We can watch the video. The scene makes ZERO sense.

there is no if ands or buts about it. Its nonsense. And its intentional nonsense. And that's ok.

My problem is when folks who will be totally fine with this then scoff whenever star wars is silly now, as if its some modern invention.

Theres a scene in Band of Brothers where this squad of American soldiers are trying to deliver a message to the other parts of the village and they have German soldiers in between them. They dont have any ammo, but the guy is like "They dont know that"... and he charges this German position while theyre eating or something screaming like a maniac and holding his gun up. All the Germans shit their pants and freak out and drop their guns and run or try to surrender... and the American dude just runs right past them untouched and delivers the message. I mean thats a stone cold serious WW2 series, but the scene still works.

And I dont even mean to say everything needs to be based on hyper realism... the context around the Star Wars example is way sillier than band of brothers, for sure. Im just saying that scene in Star Wars, while goofy, doesn't make me roll my eyes for being overly dumb. I still feel like Han can be shot and killed, he just got the drop on them and spooked them and a funny scene played out.

But now imagine that as they start to escape in the millenium falcon after that, all the Death Star weapons target them and unleash a massive laser barrage. Luke Skywalker goes out into space... stands on the top of the ship as they fly away, and deflects an onslaught of laser bolts as big as he is away with his lightsaber. Its just... odd lol. Doesnt fit the feeling of how the rest of the movie treats itself at all.

You guys keep talking about feelings whilst defending a scene that ALSO doesn't fit in with how the rest of rhe movie treats itself.
Maybe we just interpret it different and thats cool... but to me that is a far cry different than Han scaring stormtroopers. Thats next level ridiculousness and doesn't really play along with the rules they already established for their universe. And I feel like a lot of the Disney stuff starts to lean way more that way than the spirit of the originals.

Luke deflecting giant laser bolts is well within the established abilities of a jedi, in various forms of media over various eras and decades.

Stormtroopers are never shown to be prone to being scared by a long gunman who they ALREADY ambushed.

Even just how they build out their basic logic trees of making a coherent story, even disregarding the actual moment to moment dialogue for a second.

OG: "We need to blow up the Death Star" -> "It seems impenetrable, we need spies" -> "Spies found secret plans" -> "We gotta steal those plans" -> "A strike team stole the plans" -> "We have a politician on our side, she'll deliver the plans under disguise" -> "We got the plans, we identified a weakness, lets attack"
Okay, fine. Makes sense. Seems logical enough for a military operation, Ill play along.

New Series: "We need to blow Death Star 2" -> "Finn - I WORKED THERE AS A JANITOR. THEY TELL JANITORS HOW TO BLOW IT UP."

That isnt even what happens in the film. They never told Finn how to "blow it up". He had access to schematics that included villatile points in its design, and he knew about those because of his position. His role actually makes a lot more sense than "a bunch if random off screen maguffins managed to get us exactly what we need to defeat the enemy" if we're being honest. Rogue one was practically made to explain this plot hole and it turns out the wrote it so the weak point was intentionally put there... thats the only way it makes sense.

You can not in good faith tell me that one makes sense and the other doesn't. Either both of them do or neither of them do.

And if we are beifn honest the Disney stuff has gone farther than any of the original stuff in terms of darkness and maturity. You can talk about Leia dodging around grown ass men, but then if you're arguing in good faith you can also talk about Vader snapping an actual child's neck on screen in that same show. The first time we have EVER in 40 years see Vader actually kill a child.

We can talk about andor which has the most dour gritty tone of any star wars project, virtually no quips through its entire run time.

We can even talk about TLJ which features slavery and war profiteering, even if it doesn't fully deliver on those.

Star wars can do it all
Han was hired to deliver them to Alderaan. They get CAPTURED by the Death Star. The ENTIRE PLAN to deactivate the tractor beam is improvised (by former General kenobi, no less) and the plan to rescue Leia is INVENTED ON THE SPOT by Luke! Han is trying to wrest control of a shit show situation from the get go. He wasn't hired to break into the Death Star for Christ's sake. Him chasing the troopers is a manifestation of his ego and how it gets him in over his head.
Alderaan got destroyed before they ever even got there.

Hes never shown to have ego enough to run away from an escape route and try and take down multiple enemies. Every other time in the movie he takes the path of least resistance, until he comes in and saves Luke snd the squadron in the end.

Thats the whole point of his character, that he was a scoundrel who only looked out for himself up until he changed.

This scene intentionally undermines that for a gag. Its objective fact that that is what is happening here.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Alderaan got destroyed before they ever even got there.

Hes never shown to have ego enough to run away from an escape route and try and take down multiple enemies. Every other time in the movie he takes the path of least resistance, until he comes in and saves Luke snd the squadron in the end.

Thats the whole point of his character, that he was a scoundrel who only looked out for himself up until he changed.

This scene intentionally undermines that for a gag. Its objective fact that that is what is happening here.
You sure you've seen STAR WARS? Like, the actual film, not a porn parody or a Bollywood knockoff? 'Cause your version of the movie reads more like a Golden Book novelization TBH.

But anyway, no real point hashing this out, round and round. You have your opinion, and so long as you subscribe to D+ and buy a bunch of Ahsoka toys, that's the only opinion that really matters to Disney.

Toons

The Force Awakens Plot makes more sense? Finns role makes more sense?? As a janitor???? Yeah Im sure he had front row seats to all the classified hotness LOL. Snoke, Kylo Ren, Hux and Janitor Finn would sit down and review the security weakness of Starkiller base on the reg.

A janitor would've had access to various schematics of the facilitiy for very obvious reasons. Kylo Ren probably didn't even know about all of that, but phasma would have. I fail to see the problem.

At worst its a gag line that adds some humor and characterization. Far from heresy, and far from out of the realm of star wars.
Hey China, if you ever need our launch codes just snatch they guy taking out the trash lmao. He's got the Presidents ear, fuck eavesdropping on the CIA.

Foreign agents have been able to find compromised information from much much easier sources in real life lmao.

Im talking about the way the movie carries itself. Not tingly feelings I get inside. If its pure nostalgia then why did I enjoy Rogue One a lot? Why did I enjoy Andor a lot? If all Star Wars has always been the same, and its me that changed... I should hate those too no?? But I loved those so why? It's because they didn't have mind-numblingly idiotic writing and characters and situations.... just like the original trilogy didnt.

Rogue one and andor are far far darker than anything from the OT. You prefer the grittier more grounded tone, so you liked it.

Thats not a problem, the problem is pretending thats all star wars can or should be. Theres long term fans who agree with you on the ST, like star wars theory who hated andor and said it didn't feel like star wars. I happen to disagree with him just as much.
Dude.... no. No to all of it you're not getting me or doubling down just because.

If you can watch Empire and then Watch Kenobi or Ashoka and go "This is the same stuff..." like we're so far off base it just aint happening.

Abso freaking lately can becausd nothing in the new stuff is all that different tonally or visually from the OT. The silliness, and the darkness is all present in the originals and they are present here. You cannot let slide things like what I posted but then say ahsoka on a ship in space is too far gone. Star wars is versatile enough for both.

Toons

You sure you've seen STAR WARS? Like, the actual film, not a porn parody or a Bollywood knockoff? 'Cause your version of the movie reads more like a Golden Book novelization TBH.
Did kenobi not say "i just felt a disturbance as if millions of voices cried out and were silenced" as they fly in the ship? Because I'm positive that's what happens and that happens immediately after alderaan is blown up.

Its been a minute since I've watched but I know that happens.

But anyway, no real point hashing this out, round and round. You have your opinion, and so long as you subscribe to D+ and buy a bunch of Ahsoka toys, that's the only opinion that really matters to Disney.

Oh, I plan too. I've got a display of OT, ST, and TV show and video game characters already, because i love ALL star wars. Yes star wars is a merch juggernaut as well. That is ALSO not new or a Disney invention.

Toons

Why are you guys not being honest about this? We can watch the video. The scene makes ZERO sense.

there is no if ands or buts about it. Its nonsense. And its intentional nonsense. And that's ok.

My problem is when folks who will be totally fine with this then scoff whenever star wars is silly now, as if its some modern invention.

We can even talk about TLJ which features slavery and war profiteering, even if it doesn't fully deliver on those.

Star wars can do it all

Except ahsoka could manipulated rhe shops themselves if they stand still, because that shes a jedi and can use the force.

Shin would know this, because she too can evidently use it.

That's the first problem with your premise, the second is that just because something makes more tactical sense doesn't make for an exciting action sequence, and this franchise is an action based one and not a tactics based one. This isnt any more incompetent than the nonsense GL wrote with his gd battle droids which were literslly cartoon characters for kids, who were gags throughout the PT and yet were the primary military force of the bad guys.

Again, star wars hasn't changed. You did. You are so willing to forgive all that other stuff but then all of a sudden willnitcpick and overanakyze every minutia of every scene of the new stuff, as if star wars was ever this high tier, pristine franchise with the tightest most intricate writing before Disney bought it.

Cut the bullsh*** my dude. You watched the same content I did before Disney bought it, and this shoe is the same s***. Filoni worked on half of that same stuff in the later years too so you csnt even try and tell me this is some product of the buyout. Filonis been with LF for the last 2 decades.

These 3 eps aren't perfect but they're way better than 2 our if 3 of the prequel films in terms of writing.

Last edited:
That's the first problem with your premise, the second is that just because something makes more tactical sense doesn't make for an exciting action sequence, and this franchise is an action based one and not a tactics based one.
You consider this an "exciting action sequence"? Lol c'mon dude. This was one of the most boring action sequences in the entire franchise behind TLJ 2-hour space chase - there were zero stakes involved, it was mind-numbingly slow, the enemies acted braindead, and Ahsoka's energy levels in this show suck the fun out of everything. The music was great though I'll give it that.

All this episode did was waste the audience's time for another week. Here's the episode 3 summary for those who want to skip it:

1. Ahsoka is training Sabine. They recreate the Obi-Wan/Luke training sequence from ANH because of course they do.

2. Hera - despite being so important- can't get military support from the Senate to go after Thrawn, the greatest threat to the New Republic because "it's a wild goose chase". I guess two dark Jedi slaughtering an entire Rebel cruiser, jail-breaking a high value prisoner and known Thrawn associate, stealing SSD-class hyperdrives, and taking a star map to another galaxy wasn't enough evidence. A three-year-old could write better politics.

3. The main characters finally understand the villains are building a hyperspace ring - which the audience already knew a week ago.

4. Ahsoka and Sabine land on the bad guy planet.

Oh, they throw in an "exciting action sequence" and we see space whales.
Again, star wars hasn't changed. You did. You are so willing to forgive all that other stuff but then all of a sudden willnitcpick and overanakyze every minutia of every scene of the new stuff, as if star wars was ever this high tier, pristine franchise with the tightest most intricate writing before Disney bought it.
There's nothing to overanalyze. This show is shallow enough to just point out how dumb it is; it does make what came before it look like a "high tier, pristine franchise with the tightest most intricate writing" though. The decline of the brand is evidence enough.

Star Wars isn't cool anymore, the public isn't clamoring for more, and content like this is why. Watching the remaining fandom clawing to defend it when the writing is on the wall is just sad. These shows are too expensive to not be massively popular - and that's not even taking into account the writer's strike and streaming profitability issues.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Did kenobi not say "i just felt a disturbance as if millions of voices cried out and were silenced" as they fly in the ship? Because I'm positive that's what happens and that happens immediately after alderaan is blown up.

Its been a minute since I've watched but I know that happens.
Leia's message asks Kenobi to bring R2-D2 to her father on Alderaan so he can retrieve the plans of the Death Star. Kenobi hires Solo to smuggle him there. They never arrive there because the Death Star blows it up before they can. The Falcon is discovered and captured, and now the heroes are suddenly in a hostile base. Kenobi goes off by himself to disable the tractor beam and create a diversion so the others can escape and complete the mission. Then R2 finds out Leia is on the station. Luke urges Solo to go rescue her together. Initially he refuses, thinking it's a suicide mission, but is ultimately convinced by the promise of a monetary reward from the princess.

You've definitely misremembered some things.

BlackTron

Umm Obi Wan did feel the loss of Alderaan while in hyperspace. When they found it wasn't there anymore, they decided to turn the ship around but were quickly captured by the Death Star's tractor beam.

When Han decided to chase the troopers down the hallway, it was just a ballsy move to scare/shock the troopers to buy a few seconds, because he had no other out, he probably felt his only other recourse was to be swarmed by them. And it only lasted a few seconds. For that matter, it only worked because, as we hear later from Leia in the movie, "they're tracking us. it's the only explanation for the ease of our escape" to which Han exclaims "Ya call THAT easy!!"

A worried Tarkin tells Vader that his plan to plant the tracking device had better work; you realize the Stormtroopers were on order not to hit the heroes so they can be tracked home, explaining their bad accuracy and running away from a desperate, ballsy Han who has good aim.

Leia's message asks Kenobi to bring R2-D2 to her father on Alderaan so he can retrieve the plans of the Death Star. Kenobi hires Solo to smuggle him there. They never arrive there because the Death Star blows it up before they can. The Falcon is discovered and captured, and now the heroes are suddenly in a hostile base. Kenobi goes off by himself to disable the tractor beam and create a diversion so the others can escape and complete the mission. Then R2 finds out Leia is on the station. Luke urges Solo to go rescue her together. Initially he refuses, thinking it's a suicide mission, but is ultimately convinced by the promise of a monetary reward from the princess.

You've definitely misremembered some things.
Back then, someone actually committed a single brain cell to plot and character development. But I guess this is "expecting too much" these days from one of the greatest franchises of all time.

Just keep your eyelids open and your brain closed, cheer when you see a lightsaber and clap when you see the credits roll.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
man this thread is something else.

Yeah, it's like the threads that come out with every Marvel product, but nerdier and more defensive.

Hahaha yeah

shocked ron burgundy GIF

And now I have that 24 hours later, not really in the heat of the moment anymore, quasi-embarrassment for doing my part in shitting the whole thread up.

Last edited:

Toons

You consider this an "exciting action sequence"? Lol c'mon dude.
Yes.
All this episode did was waste the audience's time for another week. Here's the episode 3 summary for those who want to skip it:

1. Ahsoka is training Sabine. They recreate the Obi-Wan/Luke training sequence from ANH because of course they do.

They didn't recreate anything about that sceen in ANH lmao. Aside fork Sabine wearing the helm every trainee where's there is nothing similar.
2. Hera - despite being so important- can't get military support from the Senate to go after Thrawn, the greatest threat to the New Republic because "it's a wild goose chase". I guess two dark Jedi slaughtering an entire Rebel cruiser, jail-breaking a high value prisoner and known Thrawn associate, stealing SSD-class hyperdrives, and taking a star map to another galaxy wasn't enough evidence. A three-year-old could write better politics.

From the perspective of the republic they have no reason to believe thrawn is alive or has any intentions with the goings on of the republic. By this time he hasn't been seen or heard from for 6-7 years, the empire is in shambles, and they are supposed to drop everything and send some fleets out to the middle of nowhere because of a random map?

The republic and the rebellion was never particularly concerned with the activities of the jedi, so why would they go defcon one when some randoms show up with lightsabers? They are much more concerned with actually filling the massive power vacuum.

But I digress. Perhaps the entire republic stopping everything and listening to hera immediately would be good writing to you. Never kind that Mon Mothma is notoriously a cautious and patient individual usually not oping for preemptive strikes, especially on a guy that has disappeared and is highly likely to be dead. Sure, you and I know he's not, but that doesn't mean these characters in universe should have any reason to believe he isnt.

3. The main characters finally understand the villains are building a hyperspace ring - which the audience already knew a week ago.
And??? In rogue one we know the death star can blow up planets before any of the characters do. What's your point?

4. Ahsoka and Sabine land on the bad guy planet.

Oh, they throw in an "exciting action sequence" and we see space whales.

There's nothing to overanalyze. .

Then why are you overanalyzing?

The story doesn't need to be convoluted to be good. Adding a bunch of needless asides is one of the problems of the PT.. and the ST actually. ANH is so simple that you can summarize the entire film in ten sentences.

What should they have added in that would make this epsidoe good In your eyes?

Star Wars isn't cool anymore, the public isn't clamoring for more

Are you just trolling? Bored on the toilet? Why are you here if this is your perspective lol? You're just complaining for the sake of it, if you've checked out then check out and be done with it.

Last edited:

Toons

Umm Obi Wan did feel the loss of Alderaan while in hyperspace. When they found it wasn't there anymore, they decided to turn the ship around but were quickly captured by the Death Star's tractor beam.

When Han decided to chase the troopers down the hallway, it was just a ballsy move to scare/shock the troopers to buy a few seconds, because he had no other out, he probably felt his only other recourse was to be swarmed by them. And it only lasted a few seconds.
So did the Leia chase in kenobi that according to some was an act of high treason on the art of film. Thats no excuse.

For that matter, it only worked because, as we hear later from Leia in the movie, "they're tracking us. it's the only explanation for the ease of our escape" to which Han exclaims "Ya call THAT easy!!"
Which is another quip, to deliver a punchline on an overall humorous situation. The very fact that this life or death extraction is treated BY the film as the platform for some shenanigans and several gags is exactly my point. The films largely don't take themselves that seriously. So the fans need not do so all the time either.

Theres fun to be had.

A worried Tarkin tells Vader that his plan to plant the tracking device had better work; you realize the Stormtroopers were on order not to hit the heroes so they can be tracked home, explaining their bad accuracy and running away from a desperate, ballsy Han who has good aim.

You're telling me that I'm supposed to believe the stormtroopers are intentionally missing their shots, and 20 of them are more akin to running away from a lone gunman rather than trying to overwhelm him, especially when 19 seconds later you can clearly see Luke and Leia being shot at, very clearly with the intention of hitting them both which is requiring them to use cover?

Let's add onto this the fact that han didn't have a tracker on him, so they'd have no reason for them to attempt to let him leave. Vader clearly originally intended to interrogate Leia but even if we are to accept he was going to let her escape and be tracked, han had no reason to be a part of that situation.

You guys are bending over backwards to justify a goofy ass scene instead of just acknowledging its goofy and silly and that that is ok. Its ridiculous. The scene is just dumb fun. Like its ok to see it as it is. Its always been a part of star wars and I'm tired of folks trying to pretend it isn't.

BlackTron

So did the Leia chase in kenobi that according to some was an act of high treason on the art of film. Thats no excuse.

I didn't mean that the scene only lasted for a few seconds; I meant that Han's stunt only lasted successfully for a few seconds.

If you're gonna try to equate the Leia chase scene in Obi-Wan to this scene in the Death Star I give up replying to your posts. Have a good one man, enjoy the current state of Star Wars

Toons

I didn't mean that the scene only lasted for a few seconds; I meant that Han's stunt only lasted successfully for a few seconds.

If you're gonna try to equate the Leia chase scene in Obi-Wan to this scene in the Death Star I give up replying to your posts. Have a good one man, enjoy the current state of Star Wars

You dont have to like the current state of star wars, at all. But im well past tired of all these folks pretending like "it wss gritty before" or "everything made sense before" or "we didn't have plot holes like this before". Its diengenuous af. No ones ever going to replace the feeling you had watching your first SW film. Not Disney snd not anyone else because that version of you doesn't exist anymore and that version of the world doesn't exist anymore. I've accepted that, and factored that in to my level of enjoyment of everything that has released since.

For all the nitpicks, majority this stuff is coming from Dave filoni, who has the full support of the higher ups and they've given him bigger reigns over the franchise than GL ever did. Filoni is a man who lives and breaths star wars, he will ardently defend anything George Lucas has ever done and will do so honestly and almost make you believe it, and I mean hes praised the PT practically to the point of tears before.

If there's some inconsistency or lore thing or something popping up in your head, it's a guarantee that filoni thought of it already and factored it in. Hes not perfect but there may not be a dude on this earth who is better to be handling this stuff, and I mean that genuinely even if I haven't loved everything hes done, he loves star wars more than anyone else, and if EVEN he can't get you to enjoy it again, im truly not sure anyone else ever can.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, if you have watched a few Disney+ making ofs with Filoni (I think maybe the Mando making ofs) where they detail his career and how he got his opportunity to work with GL, it's very apparent that Filoni cares about SW probably more than anyone else alive.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, if you have watched a few Disney+ making ofs with Filoni (I think maybe the Mando making ofs) where they detail his career and how he got his opportunity to work with GL, it's very apparent that Filoni cares about SW probably more than anyone else alive.
Filoni unfettered tends to go into magic stuff more than I prefer. He really needs to start up a fantasy series as an outlet IMHO.

Red5

Liking it so far.

People taking Star Wars seriously is the problem with Star Wars. It was always filled with goofy characters and slapstick comic reliefs since Episode 4. I've only ever found the new trilogy to be unwatchable.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The way this thread is going confirms to me the show is probably another steaming turd considering we are arguing about a scene from a completely unrelated movie in the franchise.

Personally was never gonna watch this or anything star wars related anymore anyway, but hopped in here out of curiosity and I must say, thread exceeded expectations

Top Bottom